Boddler Advice #2 I seen a deer, even with my squealing boddler

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know all babies are different but when did those with older children start to see consistency with a full nights sleep?

Mini justme is 14 months tomorrow and we are still having split nights more than not. I thought nursery would have helped but I haven’t noticed a difference. It’s just really difficult when we’ve been up for a few hours in the night and then I have to get us out the door first thing!

A girl I work with has a 17 month old who has terrible night sleep and she’s thinking about sleep training. But it’s now got me thinking that maybe our split nights will continue for a little longer than I thought? First time mum here so wonder if I’m missing a trick or it’s just all a part of them growing.

I know all babies are different but when did those with older children start to see consistency with a full nights sleep?

Mini justme is 14 months tomorrow and we are still having split nights more than not. I thought nursery would have helped but I haven’t noticed a difference. It’s just really difficult when we’ve been up for a few hours in the night and then I have to get us out the door first thing!

A girl I work with has a 17 month old who has terrible night sleep and she’s thinking about sleep training. But it’s now got me thinking that maybe our split nights will continue for a little longer than I thought? First time mum here so wonder if I’m missing a trick or it’s just all a part of them growing.
My eldest was 5 when he started sleeping through.
my twins are 2 and we still have split nights.
As awful as it is, it’s normal behaviour.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My 4 year had a bad run of split nights around 17 months, I think it’s a common developmental stage. I even night weaned but didn’t help. It lasted 6 weeks and felt like torture but it did stop. Her sleep is pretty consistent now with sleeping through but she doesn’t sleep on her own and will have a brief wake up every now and again if she’s unwell. Which is all the time 🤣

My 13 month old learnt to blow me a kiss back today. Makes up for the lethal headbutt he gave me yesterday 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My 4 year had a bad run of split nights around 17 months, I think it’s a common developmental stage. I even night weaned but didn’t help. It lasted 6 weeks and felt like torture but it did stop. Her sleep is pretty consistent now with sleeping through but she doesn’t sleep on her own and will have a brief wake up every now and again if she’s unwell. Which is all the time 🤣

My 13 month old learnt to blow me a kiss back today. Makes up for the lethal headbutt he gave me yesterday 😅
Yesterday baby L drank successfully from a straw for the first time, but he was also sick directly onto my face, parenting is a rollercoaster haha

• Haha
Reactions: 1

3.5y, 4.5y and still waiting for my 5.5yo and almost 3yo to sleep all night. It is 100% normal for kids to wake, especially at 14mo. It can be hard (and it’s definitely hardest with your first, I used to think I might actually die) but it is totally normal x

• Heart

My eldest didn’t consistently sleep through the night til 5. He would have a run of weeks where he’d sleep through from 3 but then we’d go back to waking in the night.
My middle one was a fairly good sleeper and so slept through a lot earlier and reliably from about 18 months.
My third is horrendous and still wakes up twice a night at 13 months 🙈🙈 xx

• Heart

2 and a half here and bar teething has only just cracked sleeping through the night.

ETA that’s with lots of requests of weetabix and milk during the night, so now she has one weetabix before bed which seems to hold her.

• Heart
Baby L is fully in his split nights era 😭 mostly waking around 2.30 but he really shook it up the other night by waking up just as went to bed, literally as my head hit the pillow, worst nights sleep since he was a newborn I think

He's also 14 months old!

It sounds like not much we can do about it but any survival tips? Apart from all the coffee. I might start going to bed at 9pm again!

Baby L is fully in his split nights era 😭 mostly waking around 2.30 but he really shook it up the other night by waking up just as went to bed, literally as my head hit the pillow, worst nights sleep since he was a newborn I think

He's also 14 months old!

It sounds like not much we can do about it but any survival tips? Apart from all the coffee. I might start going to bed at 9pm again!
I went to bed at 8:30 yesterday 🙃 depends on your work schedule but on weekends/days off can you put him in with you, or if you gave him milk or something would he go back to sleep until the morning? If MM wakes up and is awake for 2 hours or so I find she sleeps until 8ish so I at least catch up a little, but not always! And coffee.

I went to bed at 8:30 yesterday 🙃 depends on your work schedule but on weekends/days off can you put him in with you, or if you gave him milk or something would he go back to sleep until the morning? If MM wakes up and is awake for 2 hours or so I find she sleeps until 8ish so I at least catch up a little, but not always! And coffee.
Thank you. I think I'll try Early bedtime, I used to go to bed around 8pm when he was tiny. We are going to try a more substantial post nursery snack and see if that helps. Might try some milk in the night as well although he doesn't seem hungry, he just wants to play.

We've never really had him in bed with us, I worry he would just crawl off the edge now! Sometimes he will sleep to 7.30 if he has been up in the night but recently he's been up for the day at 6.30 😬 fortunately I haven't had to go to the office yet so I can have a quick nap when Mr L takes him for breakfast at 7.30 but it's not sustainable!

He's also 14 months old!

I’ve been trying to go to bed at the same time as mini JM but sometimes it’s difficult when you have a few things to do. Solidarity ❤ I will say it has improved for us since my plea here a few weeks ago. Only the odd split night in the week (if there’s no illness, no teething etc). Mini JM will be 15 months in a couple of weeks.

On another note, his peanut allergy was confirmed today, along with a fish allergy (he had a reaction to fish last week). My poor baby cannot catch a break at the moment ☹

• Heart
I’ve been trying to go to bed at the same time as mini JM but sometimes it’s difficult when you have a few things to do. Solidarity ❤ I will say it has improved for us since my plea here a few weeks ago. Only the odd split night in the week (if there’s no illness, no teething etc). Mini JM will be 15 months in a couple of weeks.

On another note, his peanut allergy was confirmed today, along with a fish allergy (he had a reaction to fish last week). My poor baby cannot catch a break at the moment ☹
Oh poor mini JM it must be such a worry for you.

I went to bed at 10 and Baby L slept until 5.30!!! I feel amazing.

• Heart
At what point does a boddler, become a toddler? Asking for a friend because I’m she’s in denial

• Haha
One of the nursery workers (not his key person) mentioned to me on pick up the other day that Mini justme (15 months) is not feeding himself and I need to ‘encourage it at home’. I was surprised by this.

At home he’s eating finger foods and feeds himself fine but he’s not quite mastered using a spoon yet. Some toddlers in his room when I went to the settling in sessions were using their spoons and I wondered whether mini JM should be at that stage too? If I give him a spoon he just bangs it on the high chair or food goes flying everywhere. I’ve tried guiding using my hand with his and he’ll get frustrated as he just wants the food in his mouth. If I leave food out for him with the spoon, he will use his hands to eat however according to the nursery he’s not even doing this!!! As you can tell, I’m now a little concerned after getting the feedback. He's eating very little at nursery at the moment, but i have been putting it down to his constant cold/cough/teething and the different environment. Can anyone give some advice? First time mum so not sure what’s the norm.

Last edited:
One of the nursery workers (not his key person) mentioned to me on pick up the other day that Mini justme (15 months) is not feeding himself and I need to ‘encourage it at home’. I was surprised by this.

At home he’s eating finger foods and feeds himself fine but he’s not quite mastered using a spoon yet. Some toddlers in his room when I went to the settling in sessions were using their spoons and I wondered whether mini JM should be at that stage too? If I give him a spoon he just bangs it on the high chair or food goes flying everywhere. I’ve tried guiding using my hand with his and he’ll get frustrated as he just wants the food in his mouth. If I leave food out for him with the spoon, he will use his hands to eat however according to the nursery he’s not even doing this!!! As you can tell, I’m now a little concerned after getting the feedback. He's eating very little at nursery at the moment, but i have been putting it down to his constant cold/cough/teething and the different environment. Can anyone give some advice? First time mum so not sure what’s the norm.
My youngest was 2 in December and he very rarely feeds himself with a spoon because I’m always in a rush and just want to get it down him, but my others were fine. I get fed up of the spoon bashing, but he can feed himself.
Maybe he’s just not fussy about eating at nursery, some kids I’ve previously looked after were like this, but ate well at home. The workers won’t be able to sit and feed him, so maybe he’s just being lazy (which isn’t a bad thing)

• Heart

We used Doddl 12+ spoon and fork cutlery with my little girl from 12 months and she picked up the hang of it almost instantly. Most toddler cutlery is way too big for their motor skills at that age but the Doddl ones are really clever, more suited to their chubby little hands. She was useless with Bibado spoons and traditional weaning spoons.

She now only wants to use cutlery. This morning I gave her some pancakes with topping thinking she’d use her hands, but she demanded the fork 🤷‍♀️

I was scuzzy and bought hers off Vinted but it’s about £13 on Amazon. One of rhe few weaning things that was actually worth the money tbh

• Heart
Reactions: 2
We used Doddl 12+ spoon and fork cutlery with my little girl from 12 months and she picked up the hang of it almost instantly. Most toddler cutlery is way too big for their motor skills at that age but the Doddl ones are really clever, more suited to their chubby little hands. She was useless with Bibado spoons and traditional weaning spoons.

She now only wants to use cutlery. This morning I gave her some pancakes with topping thinking she’d use her hands, but she demanded the fork 🤷‍♀️

I was scuzzy and bought hers off Vinted but it’s about £13 on Amazon. One of rhe few weaning things that was actually worth the money tbh
I second doddl. My wee girl will be 3 in July and used that for most of the time she weaned until now where she likes to have adult cutlery to be like everyone else but its so so good.

• Heart