Boddler Advice #2 I seen a deer, even with my squealing boddler

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
mini justme (13 months) had his 1 year jabs last week Friday. He had a little fever on the Friday night but I had pretty much started on the Calpol from after the appointment as recommended by the nurse.

Saturday morning he woke up absolutely stuffed. Blocked/runny nose, no fever but I continued with the Calpol doses throughout the day. I put it down to being a cold as he’s at nursery now and he’s likely to pick up these sorts of things. Weekend no fever but Calpol likely keeping it down. Disturbed sleep Sat night. He’s been fussy with food but I put that down to jabs and cold.

Monday morning (nursery day) he is still stuffed but still has his personality and 85% energy but due to having a cold is still stuffed. I took his temperature and it was on the higher side for him but not over 38. He seemed okay in himself so gave Calpol and went to nursery. They called at end of day to say he hadn’t ate much and his temperature was now over 38 and he wasn’t well. I went to collect him.

Tuesday he was with me, he woke up with energy. He ate the meals I made and drank as normal. No Calpol but still had his cold symptoms blocked nose/cough etc.

Wednesday (nursery day) woke up fine, no temperature, still has cold symptoms blocked nose/cough but was fine in himself. Took him to nursery as normal. Nursery called me at 2.30pm to say he had been asleep since 11.40am, he had barely eaten and they thought they should let me know as they have a policy of not waking babies. They said he had no temperature. On collection I asked how he had been, apparently he had woken up 5mins after they called me, had ate very little again but had been very lethargic in the afternoon. They also pointed out that he may have conjunctivitis by his sticky eyes. On our drive back home, he was nearly falling asleep again. Not like mini justme at all especially after a nearly 3 hour nap.

I called 111 and I ended up in A&E because I was worried. They took his temperature and it was 39. They gave paracetamol and sent me to outpatients with him. The Dr there was so rude to me but I won’t get into that. But she basically said it’s just a viral infection including the conjunctivitis. I asked could there be a link to the vaccination and she said no. She was really snappy with me and said it’s just a cold and it can take 7-10 days for recovery and to keep on the Calpol. I get that but he’s had a cold before and I don’t remember him being this sleepy? Especially 5 days on? She also wouldn’t recommend eye drops for a baby under 2 and just use water for the conjunctivitis.

today and now I’m writing this, he’s asleep in my arms and has been since about 9.15am. He woke up at 7am had very little to eat and was tired again. I feel like calling the GP for another opinion but am I being overly worried? Does he just need to rest? Should I wait the 10 days out? Could it be because of the jabs too?

Any advice would be nice, first time mum here so all of this is new to me..

mini justme (13 months) had his 1 year jabs last week Friday. He had a little fever on the Friday night but I had pretty much started on the Calpol from after the appointment as recommended by the nurse.

Saturday morning he woke up absolutely stuffed. Blocked/runny nose, no fever but I continued with the Calpol doses throughout the day. I put it down to being a cold as he’s at nursery now and he’s likely to pick up these sorts of things. Weekend no fever but Calpol likely keeping it down. Disturbed sleep Sat night. He’s been fussy with food but I put that down to jabs and cold.

Monday morning (nursery day) he is still stuffed but still has his personality and 85% energy but due to having a cold is still stuffed. I took his temperature and it was on the higher side for him but not over 38. He seemed okay in himself so gave Calpol and went to nursery. They called at end of day to say he hadn’t ate much and his temperature was now over 38 and he wasn’t well. I went to collect him.

Tuesday he was with me, he woke up with energy. He ate the meals I made and drank as normal. No Calpol but still had his cold symptoms blocked nose/cough etc.

Wednesday (nursery day) woke up fine, no temperature, still has cold symptoms blocked nose/cough but was fine in himself. Took him to nursery as normal. Nursery called me at 2.30pm to say he had been asleep since 11.40am, he had barely eaten and they thought they should let me know as they have a policy of not waking babies. They said he had no temperature. On collection I asked how he had been, apparently he had woken up 5mins after they called me, had ate very little again but had been very lethargic in the afternoon. They also pointed out that he may have conjunctivitis by his sticky eyes. On our drive back home, he was nearly falling asleep again. Not like mini justme at all especially after a nearly 3 hour nap.

I called 111 and I ended up in A&E because I was worried. They took his temperature and it was 39. They gave paracetamol and sent me to outpatients with him. The Dr there was so rude to me but I won’t get into that. But she basically said it’s just a viral infection including the conjunctivitis. I asked could there be a link to the vaccination and she said no. She was really snappy with me and said it’s just a cold and it can take 7-10 days for recovery and to keep on the Calpol. I get that but he’s had a cold before and I don’t remember him being this sleepy? Especially 5 days on? She also wouldn’t recommend eye drops for a baby under 2 and just use water for the conjunctivitis.

today and now I’m writing this, he’s asleep in my arms and has been since about 9.15am. He woke up at 7am had very little to eat and was tired again. I feel like calling the GP for another opinion but am I being overly worried? Does he just need to rest? Should I wait the 10 days out? Could it be because of the jabs too?

My daughter (she's a bit older 2.5) was similar to this just after Christmas, very sleepy and not herself and all blocked up with cold and cough etc. I took her to our of hours and they told me it was an upper respiratory virus and to alternate Calpol and neurofen for a few days which helped more than the Calpol. The Dr was lovely though so I would make sure you get to the GP just for your own peace of mind, no Dr should ever make you feel silly for wanting to make sure your child is okay.

Should add she had no appetite and had a temp of 41 at one point and she had conjunctivitis on top of that too 🙃 took her a good 4/5 days of high temp to start to be semi normal

• Heart
Reactions: 1

We had a TORRID time with the jabs- so bad we reported it. Screaming all hours of that night etc. is he taking in fluid? I’d be concerned about dehydration. We had a hospitalisation for a virus a few weeks ago and she was sleeping 4-5 hours in the day (compared to normal 1-2).
You can get eye drops for under 2s - your GP can prescribe or you can say they are for you 🤣.

• Heart
We had a really horrific time with the jabs including time off nursery so it is possible that he’s both feeling the mumps jab kick in, and has a virus to fight off.

If he’s not taking on fluid get a Calpol syringe and try to get 5mL of water in every 15 minutes. This is what they’ll get you to do in A&E.

You can definitely get eye drops prescribed <2 for conjunctivitis. My daughter had some prescribed on Tuesday @ 1yr7 months, and we’ve previously had them prescribed at 1yr3 months. I would see your GP, mine is always keen to bring in babies for a look when parents are concerned.

Conjunctivitis can make them surprisingly unwell with virus symptoms. She’s actually off today with a mild temp and very sleepy. We caught it off her in November and both of us were surprisingly poorly for a few days, even though our eyes weren’t too bad.

• Heart
Also I'm in Scotland so not sure if it's the same in England but pharmacy can prescribe eye drops under the minor ailments scheme

That sounds so stressful ❤ Just like with us, some colds wipe wee ones out more than others. And I’ve found conjunctivitis can also make kids really quite tired (even on its own). Let him rest as much as possible, and don’t worry too much about eating as long as he is staying hydrated. Offer lots of drinks and little snacks during the day, and anything he takes in is great, but again when we feel rubbish we don’t always want to eat. That’s why babies have their chub 🥰 to see them through these periods of lessened appetite. My 5yo had a virus in September and lay on the sofa and didn’t move for about 6 days, barely ate. It’s so worrying, but remember they are much more in tune with their bodies than we are, they know what they need.
---
Also I'm in Scotland so not sure if it's the same in England but pharmacy can prescribe eye drops under the minor ailments scheme
Nobody will for under 2yo.

But if it is viral conjunctivitis no medication will do anything. Medication only works if it is bacterial, and since this is alongside a cold it’s likely to be viral.
In the past we have used drops or the gel for under 2, we just say it’s for ourselves.

As a grown adult I have horrible reactions to vaccinations. After my last covid jab, I spelt for 19 hours solid to the point my husband was considering taking me to hospital (both doctors and he was concerned so that shows how reactions can go). All I can say that if you're considering calling the GP, do it. Don't worry about what anyone says and just do what you need to do to give yourself peace of mind.

Is he drinking? Excessive sleeping can be a sign of dehydration in little ones. Do the pinch test, whilst not definitive it should give some indication if there is dehydration. Pinch the back of his hand/arm/tummy. If the skin takes longer to go back, he's showing signs of dehydration.

• Heart
That sounds so stressful ❤ Just like with us, some colds wipe wee ones out more than others. And I’ve found conjunctivitis can also make kids really quite tired (even on its own). Let him rest as much as possible, and don’t worry too much about eating as long as he is staying hydrated. Offer lots of drinks and little snacks during the day, and anything he takes in is great, but again when we feel rubbish we don’t always want to eat. That’s why babies have their chub 🥰 to see them through these periods of lessened appetite. My 5yo had a virus in September and lay on the sofa and didn’t move for about 6 days, barely ate. It’s so worrying, but remember they are much more in tune with their bodies than we are, they know what they need.
---

Nobody will for under 2yo.

But if it is viral conjunctivitis no medication will do anything. Medication only works if it is bacterial, and since this is alongside a cold it’s likely to be viral.
In the past we have used drops or the gel for under 2, we just say it’s for ourselves.
Ah makes sense since my wee girl is a bit older!

Ah makes sense since my wee girl is a bit older!
I have always assumed it’s because they aren’t tested on wee ones, because who is offering up babies eyes for testing?! 🤣 but equally they don’t magically have super eyes on the day of their second birthday so we’ve always snuck round it if they are about 20 months

How are your parrots doing? I think of them often 🦜🦜

• Heart
I have always assumed it’s because they aren’t tested on wee ones, because who is offering up babies eyes for testing?! 🤣 but equally they don’t magically have super eyes on the day of their second birthday so we’ve always snuck round it if they are about 20 months

How are your parrots doing? I think of them often 🦜🦜
That's fair 😂

Aw they are great, pains in the arse but great but it's very like having 3 toddlers except two of them have can openers attached to their faces 😂. My rescue is fully medicated on tramadol and gabapentin so you know what they do to humans pain so he's loving life but still hates my partner and will attack on sight😂
My original one is great too, he adores my daughter mainly because she shares all her snacks so what's not to like 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

• Haha
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It sounds like he is doing what anyone under the weather would be.

He ended up waking up at about 11.15am so I gave him another dose of Calpol. Had a bit of a snack and he’s taking fluids when I offer him. I forgot to mention he is still having his 2 breastfeeds a day fine - morning and night. He’s now back on me at the moment having another nap as by 1.30pm I could see he wanted to lay down again ☹ I’ll let him rest and see what happens.

The dr mentioned it was viral conjunctivitis yesterday. She just said keep wiping and it’ll eventually clear up by itself. I’ve noticed it’s only really when he wakes from a long nap and today it doesn’t look as bad as yesterday so I’m hoping we are coming out the other side.

I feel bad that I let him go to nursery two days this week but he honestly seemed okay in the mornings. He must have been missing me all day 😭 breaks my heart. It’s so difficult when they can’t talk yet and tell you what’s wrong. Mum guilt has been activated for a while ☹

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It sounds like he is doing what anyone under the weather would be.

He ended up waking up at about 11.15am so I gave him another dose of Calpol. Had a bit of a snack and he’s taking fluids when I offer him. I forgot to mention he is still having his 2 breastfeeds a day fine - morning and night. He’s now back on me at the moment having another nap as by 1.30pm I could see he wanted to lay down again ☹ I’ll let him rest and see what happens.

The dr mentioned it was viral conjunctivitis yesterday. She just said keep wiping and it’ll eventually clear up by itself. I’ve noticed it’s only really when he wakes from a long nap and today it doesn’t look as bad as yesterday so I’m hoping we are coming out the other side.

I feel bad that I let him go to nursery two days this week but he honestly seemed okay in the mornings. He must have been missing me all day 😭 breaks my heart. It’s so difficult when they can’t talk yet and tell you what’s wrong. Mum guilt has been activated for a while ☹
It sounds like you’re doing great, and remember only good mummies feel the guilt.

• Heart
Thanks all for sharing your nursery nap advice! Baby L managed two good naps yesterday probably 1.5-2hr in total and seemed more chirpy in the evening compared to other days when he was pretty much falling asleep over his bedtime bottle. Love the mental image of baby Rita HIYAing all the other babies 😂

Baby L had half his 1yr jabs a few weeks ago (we have the other half today) and he had gunky eyes a couple of times over the next few days as well. He had picked up a cold from nursery so I assumed it was general congestion from that. Hope mini justme is doing better soon.

If he’s not taking on fluid get a Calpol syringe and try to get 5mL of water in every 15 minutes. This is what they’ll get you to do in A&E.
This is such a good tip!!

• Heart
Yes mine had his two weeks ago and had some awful poos for a few days. He has an egg allergy so I wasn’t sure if he was reacting to that or if it was just the vaccines but I think it’s a pretty common side effect.
Thank you, that is a bit of a relief. I had a quick skim of the website earlier and couldn't see it in the side effects so I was getting anxious about it being something else and having to take him out of nursery when I go back to work tomorrow!

Thank you, that is a bit of a relief. I had a quick skim of the website earlier and couldn't see it in the side effects so I was getting anxious about it being something else and having to take him out of nursery when I go back to work tomorrow!
Aww I hope it’s just the jabs for you. My boy struggled for a few days after, had gunky eyes and was very clingy and tired too. He also ran a bit of a temp but never quite a fever. Hope he will be ok for nursery and good luck with your first day at work!

• Heart
It was a stressful 10 days but mini justme seems to be on the mend. First day back at nursery today and he done well. I underestimated how hard it was going to be getting back into work, boddler going nursery and illness as a single mum. I’m so exhausted, but in many ways feel proud of myself for pulling through the past week. It was worrying - I did end up going to the GP twice after I posted here 😅 couldn’t help myself, I needed that second (and third lol) opinion but I’m glad I did as it put my mind at ease to know he was going to be okay. I’m so tired now though and hoping he will sleep through tonight. We’ve gone straight from illness into teething (back teeth) so it all just seems non stop. Will I ever not feel tired again?? 😂 hats off to those who have more than one LO to care for, how do you all do it. Superwomen.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone’s boddler gone off their food? Mini hun has just decided that she won’t eat for us anymore and it’s stressing me out. She still has bottles of formula to fall back on but we’re really concerned that she’s eaten so little in the last week. Her Creche say she’s eating but she’s not doing it for us. I’m worn out cooking different things only for her to throw it on the floor!

Has anyone’s boddler gone off their food? Mini hun has just decided that she won’t eat for us anymore and it’s stressing me out. She still has bottles of formula to fall back on but we’re really concerned that she’s eaten so little in the last week. Her Creche say she’s eating but she’s not doing it for us. I’m worn out cooking different things only for her to throw it on the floor!
It is a really common phase, they realise they can exert some independence in this area and so they do. Don’t get stressed, just offer her food and if she won’t eat it (and you’ve offered her some firm favourites) you don’t need to be cooking lots of different things. If she likes yoghurts offer her dinner with a yoghurt, or some fruit she likes. Give it all at the same time because food is all the same, goes to the same place. Don’t get in to battles about it because we literally can not force food in to them.

Reactions: 5