Big Brother Gossip #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The level of hatred was shocking looking back, quite frankly.

The pig thing started almost immediately, but that was just the beginning. By mid-June, the Sun was calling her a hippo, then a baboon. On July 3 the paper launched its campaign to "vote out the pig". "Jade is one of the most hated women on British TV and life will be hard for her when she leaves the house," wrote the showbiz columnist Dominic Mohan, "but don't feel sorry for her... Exercise your democratic right and vote the pig out." On July 14, the Sunday Mirror at last called time on the porcine comparisons. "I'm fed up of all the pig references. Besides, it's just plain insulting - to pigs." The paper decided elephant was more apt. "I must congratulate Jade on her wonderful impression of John Merrick. I think she should be called the Elephant Woman."

View attachment 550680
Wow.. bleeping hell

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I also remember Graham Norton on his Channel 4 show being especially horrid about Jade making pig noises and pointing out stupid things she had said. There seemed to be a collective sense of "tit maybe we've gone too far" and decided we all now loved Jade and The Sun, Norton and everyone started rooting for her to win.

It was the first time I became aware of the manipulation of the edit to shift the villain status to newcomer Tim for trivial things like having an annoying catchphrase (comprende) and dying his hair. It was also the first time they seemed to glorify a contestant's lack of intelligence as an endearing source of comedy as well as a supposed signifier of them being down to earth and real. It's weird to think how the history of Big Brother if not all of TV would have been if not for this shift. No Brian Belo, no Joey Essex, Gemma Collins or even Stacy Solomon etc.

While the hatred of Jade was undeserved I was never comfortable with going in the opposite direction and making her the Nation's Sweetheart. She had a nasty bullying streak towards Sophie and another girl from that season whose name escapes me. We saw it again during her other reality TV stints Back To Reality and her infamous return to Celebrity Big Brother. It would have been interesting to see whether she could have clawed things back had it not been for her tragic death.
Yes, this is such a good point!

I agree, I never found Jade a likeable person but I always felt that the criticism around her in BB3 came from the entirely wrong place - it was all about her looks, her working class status (and her background), her lack of education. It’s like recognising she was a bully and often intimidated others or shouted then down was an afterthought, or just an added reason to dislike her.

I still remember the first cover she did with Heat magazine where they had her dressed up in a pink dress & diamonds eating chips. If I recall rightly she got paid a lot of money for it and that issue was a big seller.

I really remember thinking it was so bizarre to see the media totally embrace her when mere weeks before they’d been bashing her to such high levels. I was in my late teens at the time and it was probably the first time I sat up and took notice of how that tabloid and gossip culture really chewed people up and spat them out.

Reactions: 8
The level of hatred was shocking looking back, quite frankly.

The pig thing started almost immediately, but that was just the beginning. By mid-June, the Sun was calling her a hippo, then a baboon. On July 3 the paper launched its campaign to "vote out the pig". "Jade is one of the most hated women on British TV and life will be hard for her when she leaves the house," wrote the showbiz columnist Dominic Mohan, "but don't feel sorry for her... Exercise your democratic right and vote the pig out." On July 14, the Sunday Mirror at last called time on the porcine comparisons. "I'm fed up of all the pig references. Besides, it's just plain insulting - to pigs." The paper decided elephant was more apt. "I must congratulate Jade on her wonderful impression of John Merrick. I think she should be called the Elephant Woman."

View attachment 550680
i remember reading that jade is actually mixed race and her father spoke out saying the pig comparisons were clearly rooted in racism about her appearance, i had no idea though

Reactions: 4
Yes, this is such a good point!

I agree, I never found Jade a likeable person but I always felt that the criticism around her in BB3 came from the entirely wrong place - it was all about her looks, her working class status (and her background), her lack of education. It’s like recognising she was a bully and often intimidated others or shouted then down was an afterthought, or just an added reason to dislike her.

I still remember the first cover she did with Heat magazine where they had her dressed up in a pink dress & diamonds eating chips. If I recall rightly she got paid a lot of money for it and that issue was a big seller.

I really remember thinking it was so bizarre to see the media totally embrace her when mere weeks before they’d been bashing her to such high levels. I was in my late teens at the time and it was probably the first time I sat up and took notice of how that tabloid and gossip culture really chewed people up and spat them out.
For the life of me, I can’t remember where I saw this (pretty sure I watched it rather than read it) but I remember a BB retrospect show (for some reason I think on channel 5 but way before C5 had BB and it was still on C4) and it had interviews of former housemates and staff. One part was about Jade and how the producers were really panicking at Jade’s exit from the house and what she’d be subjected to and how they were determined to give her a positive push and edit towards the final and even begged Graham Norton and got him on side for the last few weeks or so of BB3 to help push this narrative. Does anyone else remember this!?

Reactions: 5
i remember reading that jade is actually mixed race and her father spoke out saying the pig comparisons were clearly rooted in racism about her appearance, i had no idea though
I remember watching the whole Jade Goody debacle end to end (BB to her death) and the first time I learned she was mixed race was right now. There was absolutely no general consciousness that she was anything but a working class (or rather underclass) white woman at the time. It certainly never came up even when she was being accused of racism during the whole Shilpa Shetty mess. I think the pig thing was more bout her being overweight, blunt of feature and obviously lower class, and crass etc. The class angle was huge, tbqh.

I do remember Graham Norton, after joining in on the pig meme and Jade-bashing for weeks, suddenly reigning it in and asking everyone to be nicer, rather hypocritically. I think there was a realization that the hate train had gone way too far and there was a concerted effort to rebrand her, not to mention a realisation that someone with THAT much fame (or notoriety, whatever) would be good for making a few people in the media and beyond some money well after the fact.

Speaking of which, did any other BB stars get their own perfume? Jade Goody had two (Shh and Controversial), and you can still buy them, weirdly enough.

Reactions: 6
For the life of me, I can’t remember where I saw this (pretty sure I watched it rather than read it) but I remember a BB retrospect show (for some reason I think on channel 5 but way before C5 had BB and it was still on C4) and it had interviews of former housemates and staff. One part was about Jade and how the producers were really panicking at Jade’s exit from the house and what she’d be subjected to and how they were determined to give her a positive push and edit towards the final and even begged Graham Norton and got him on side for the last few weeks or so of BB3 to help push this narrative. Does anyone else remember this!?
You are right! This is exactly what happened, to the point where the producers actually 'meddled' with nominations to protect her.

Once it became clear to the powers that be that Jade was certain to be evicted the following week they, for IIRC the first time ever, meddled with who was up for eviction. The nominations were cancelled and the two housemates selected to receive a message from home would be automatically up for eviction. In the end the HMs drew straws, PJ and Kate were nominated and Jade was safe allowing time for the tide to turn in the outside world.

I liked Jade a lot, but I HATE nominations being manipulated. Despite his public perception PJ was very well liked in the house (only three nominations in six weeks) and he had earned his place in the final, I've always felt he was cheated.

Reactions: 9
I don’t recall Kate been up for eviction. Did she win the vote against PJ by a landslide? Was this just before the final?

I don’t recall Kate been up for eviction. Did she win the vote against PJ by a landslide? Was this just before the final?
You can look it up on Wikipedia.

it was vote to evict, and PJ got 80.7% against Kate’s 19.3%. It was the second to last week before the final I think, as Tim was evicted the following week.

I remember watching the whole Jade Goody debacle end to end (BB to her death) and the first time I learned she was mixed race was right now. There was absolutely no general consciousness that she was anything but a working class (or rather underclass) white woman at the time. It certainly never came up even when she was being accused of racism during the whole Shilpa Shetty mess. I think the pig thing was more bout her being overweight, blunt of feature and obviously lower class, and crass etc. The class angle was huge, tbqh.

I do remember Graham Norton, after joining in on the pig meme and Jade-bashing for weeks, suddenly reigning it in and asking everyone to be nicer, rather hypocritically. I think there was a realization that the hate train had gone way too far and there was a concerted effort to rebrand her, not to mention a realisation that someone with THAT much fame (or notoriety, whatever) would be good for making a few people in the media and beyond some money well after the fact.

Speaking of which, did any other BB stars get their own perfume? Jade Goody had two (Shh and Controversial), and you can still buy them, weirdly enough.
You are right! This is exactly what happened, to the point where the producers actually 'meddled' with nominations to protect her.

Once it became clear to the powers that be that Jade was certain to be evicted the following week they, for IIRC the first time ever, meddled with who was up for eviction. The nominations were cancelled and the two housemates selected to receive a message from home would be automatically up for eviction. In the end the HMs drew straws, PJ and Kate were nominated and Jade was safe allowing time for the tide to turn in the outside world.

I liked Jade a lot, but I HATE nominations being manipulated. Despite his public perception PJ was very well liked in the house (only three nominations in six weeks) and he had earned his place in the final, I've always felt he was cheated.
I think it was something ridiculous in the 13 weeks of BB7 that there were only 2 or 3 weeks of “normal” nominations. Producer manipulation definitely played a part. And in BB3, even before the scenario you outlined in your post, they meddled because Jade was the first person up for eviction in the first week and they concocted a twist to keep her in against Lynne so Lynne would be evicted instead of her. (Can’t remember what I ate last night but ask me about an event in Big Brother 15 years ago and I’m on it😶)

• Haha
All this talk of manipulation BB, Graham Norton etc.. begs the question, was she really as popular as we were led to believe when she actually left the house (and pre CBB)? I mean she was constantly in Heat/OK and had books, perfumes etc

I remember there were concerns that someone would attack Jade when she left the house after BB3. The hatred was that bad. I know you shouldn‘t speak badly of the dead, but Jade was truly a horrible person and proved it over and over again. You can’t polish a turd at the end of the day and all the manipulation in the world couldn’t hide that. Let lose and away from the PR grooming she was a thick, racist bully.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
All this talk of manipulation BB, Graham Norton etc.. begs the question, was she really as popular as we were led to believe when she actually left the house (and pre CBB)? I mean she was constantly in Heat/OK and had books, perfumes etc
In a pre social media time I think she was popular in that we were “told” she was popular. As far as BB the show itself she was definitely given a more positive highlight edit when they realised she was ultimately their responsibility and they hadn’t been as responsible as they should have in creating her as a hate figure (in later series they had no problem with evicting someone to it).

I remember there were concerns that someone would attack Jade when she left the house after BB3. The hatred was that bad. I know you shouldn‘t speak badly of the dead, but Jade was truly a horrible person and proved it over and over again. You can’t polish a turd at the end of the day and all the manipulation in the world couldn’t hide that. Let lose and away from the PR grooming she was a thick, racist bully.
This, honestly.

The only thing I remember about Graham Norton around BB3 was he got Dustin Hoffman to dress as a fireman and pretend to be Johnny 😂 Remember being amazed he ever agreed to it

• Haha
I think it was something ridiculous in the 13 weeks of BB7 that there were only 2 or 3 weeks of “normal” nominations. Producer manipulation definitely played a part. And in BB3, even before the scenario you outlined in your post, they meddled because Jade was the first person up for eviction in the first week and they concocted a twist to keep her in against Lynne so Lynne would be evicted instead of her. (Can’t remember what I ate last night but ask me about an event in Big Brother 15 years ago and I’m on it😶)
Of course! I had forgotten about that, on launch night they had announced that the HM with the most votes from the public would be evicted the following Friday, then they swiftly changed things to allow the HMs to choose between the two with the most votes in order to keep Jade in.

I don't know why the producers didn't learn from this that any launch night nomination twists are a bad idea and can lead to potentially great HMs being evicted. Would BB4 have been more interesting if Anouska had stayed past Week 1?! What would BB9 have been like with Stephanie!?

Anouska and Stephanie were huge losses to their respe series. Stephanie was the only housemate who wasn’t afraid to stand up to Alexandra.

I think Stephanie and Rex liked each other. I think it would've been interesting if she was still there when his ex Nicole went in.

I felt sorry for Stephanie. She only got evicted because of that twist where she had to pretend that Mario was her boyfriend. Stephanie was only 19, and Mario was in his 40s and looked very oily and sleazy. Like a weird version of Joey from Friends or Sly Stallone. It's no surprise they failed it.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Stephanie was also on Popstars the Rivals aged only thirteen having lied about her age to get on and ended up getting pretty far before she owned up. She was a very young looking thirteen as well so god knows how she got away with it?

• Wow
I think Stephanie and Rex liked each other. I think it would've been interesting if she was still there when his ex Nicole went in.

I felt sorry for Stephanie. She only got evicted because of that twist where she had to pretend that Mario was her boyfriend. Stephanie was only 19, and Mario was in his 40s and looked very oily and sleazy. Like a weird version of Joey from Friends or Sly Stallone. It's no surprise they failed it.
Add to the fact that it was OBVIOUS Lisa and Mario were a couple and they wouldn’t stop talking to each other and hanging out together in the house. And why/how was Luke involved again??

Pete spent 100k he got on parties, drink and drugs was homeless at one stage and if I'm remembering correctly was even on an episode of Jeremy Kyle. I've seen him around Bristol a couple of times he was hosting a karaoke night in a pub I used to live near and I would pass the poster in the window. I loved him when I watched his series as a 13 year old but I rewatched a few years ago and felt uneasy about how he treated nikki. I felt like he wasn't really into her on a romantic level. I remember in one of the early episodes talking about being tide up and being whipped so somewhat out there stuff depending on what u like. I remember nikki sat looking amazed as he said it in a very innocent way. I have started rewatching the series again thanks to the person that suggested video brother. As YouTube has missing episodes. I wonder how different the show could have been if sezer had stayed longer and grace. The series was so long 13 weeks it dragged so much near the end. Susie and her cups of tea. I loved aisleghn, Glyn, nikki the best. I'd forgot all about bonnie and Dawn she came off creepy in her final few episodes. Bonnie was a bore through and through. Aisleghn was also on an episode of first dates and she came across very very well on it. I know from Instagram she is always putting up her provocative picts and I assume has an only fans but she has always kinda just been true to herself. Surprised glyn is so right wing had no clue. I also remember when he got hurt when shabazz implied or asked if glyn was gay. He was only 18 I think on the show I know plenty of guys that I thought wer straight at 18 and acted it and now in late 20s early 30s are gay so u just never know. Any soz for the lengthy comment. I loved nikki and I hope she has found peace now so sad

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.