Bethany Rutter

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think she is actually quite tall (maybe 5'9"?) so it's quite a feat of her husband (I assume that's who's taking her pics!) to get her to look short! That scarf is ridiculous.

Reactions: 3
My husband is over a foot taller than me and I don’t have my pictures taken at that angle, maybe her husband is 8 foot tho x

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I'm still baffled that shes trying so hard to make her 💅Brand💅 of earrings happen. I know it has been said but who is buying them? The pool of loyal followers must surely have dried up by now?

Either way, it clearly shows she has lost the person that she built her following on initially. She wouldn't have her platform without the alternative plus-size community but now she's just another aspirational, upward socially mobile, generic influencer desperate to carve their niche.

Reactions: 7
The fact that she doesn't have a separate social media account for her earring business proves that she knows no one would buy her earrings without being a fan of her.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Every time she posts a pic of the earrings, I can't get over how badly made they are! I'm astounded that this is now how she is going to make a living ?!?!? Unless she's got another book in the pipeline?

Reactions: 6
Just seen on Twitter that her debut adult novel will be published next year. Thank god the earrings don't have to be her main source of income 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Just seen on Twitter that her debut adult novel will be published next year. Thank god the earrings don't have to be her main source of income 🤣

Just read the synopsis and it basically seems like 'Woman leaves long-term relationship to find herself' which is a bit of a cliche and unoriginal but then it goes on 'How will she find herself you ask? By going on loads of dates and the ultimate goal is to find love'. Ah...

So, a journey of self discovery still deeply entrenched in desirability and relationships. Right.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Screenshot_20210212-170356.png

Intrigued by this. Did she give up her non-monogamous lifestyle because her now husband wasn't into it? Or was she just pretending because it was the 'in' thing at the time?

Reactions: 1
View attachment 432855
Intrigued by this. Did she give up her non-monogamous lifestyle because her now husband wasn't into it? Or was she just pretending because it was the 'in' thing at the time?
Or she was just dating the US way, like dating several at the same time, and then choose the one to sign a contract with. The opposite of romance or passion.
Or maybe he was the only one who wanted something serious with her. Certainly lol.

Just read the synopsis and it basically seems like 'Woman leaves long-term relationship to find herself' which is a bit of a cliche and unoriginal but then it goes on 'How will she find herself you ask? By going on loads of dates and the ultimate goal is to find love'. Ah...

So, a journey of self discovery still deeply entrenched in desirability and relationships. Right.
Sounds like cut price Marian Keyes with added fat positivity. Might be okay I suppose but I'm surprised there's much of a market for her books.

View attachment 432855
I think my partner would be quite offended if I said 'Wasn't sure at first, kept dating other people to make sure I was certain'. I don't know. In a way I kind of get where she is coming from but I just find it bizarre that on your anniversary you'd be thinking about how it stopped you from having fun and dating? 😂

Reactions: 3
Also the basic premise seems to be the same as her YA novels, which is fine I guess - there's obviously a gap in the market for a fat romantic heroine who "discovers" she's actually amazing and worthy of a great relationship/love... but I dunno, I'm skeptical of how many different ways that story can actually be told 🤷‍♀️ maybe I'm being overly harsh but from listening to her book podcast it's not exactly like its a genre that BR enjoys reading herself so huh... I dunno what I'm trying to say but I guess I just can't get behind her enthusiasm for these books. I feel bad as I do like her!

Or she was just dating the US way, like dating several at the same time, and then choose the one to sign a contract with. The opposite of romance or passion.
Or maybe he was the only one who wanted something serious with her. Certainly lol.
This is how I read it. I think her non monogamous phase was very much led by her ex Dennis and as soon as they split it wasn't something she pursued with other partners.

Reactions: 5
Also the basic premise seems to be the same as her YA novels, which is fine I guess - there's obviously a gap in the market for a fat romantic heroine who "discovers" she's actually amazing and worthy of a great relationship/love... but I dunno, I'm skeptical of how many different ways that story can actually be told 🤷‍♀️ maybe I'm being overly harsh but from listening to her book podcast it's not exactly like its a genre that BR enjoys reading herself so huh... I dunno what I'm trying to say but I guess I just can't get behind her enthusiasm for these books. I feel bad as I do like her!

This is how I read it. I think her non monogamous phase was very much led by her ex Dennis and as soon as they split it wasn't something she pursued with other partners.

So right about it not being the type of fiction Bethany really seems to enjoy herself!
So I was curious as to whether anyone reads her books outside her network of middle class London publishing types and had a look at the reviews on Goodreads... the ones for No Big Deal are pretty positive, although a lot of them say things like "I wish I'd had a book like this when I was a teenager" which suggest it's not reaching actual young adults. The reviews for Melt My Heart are a bit more lukewarm with a suggestion that the plot is rather weak. For both books, there is a prominent five star review from none other than... Alice Slater 😂😂

• Haha
Bethany is furious if anyone suggests that being fat might be unhealthy but then does this 🤔
Screenshot_20210216-140626.png

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.