Bethany Rutter

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Totally agreed. I can't believe she can't see that its also:
a) a little disrespectful to her friends with small businesses
b) suspicious given shes never really shown much desire to make/sell things like this before now / hasn't just addressed the fact that its a blatant cash grab given that shes lost her job and hubby likely isn't bringing in much at the moment (assumed)
c) contradictory to be using polymer clay as someone who loves to virtue signal ✨ sustainability✨ towards other brands.
I love your icon

Stumbled here from the Jack Monroe multiverse, hello Fraus — I love the content of the WPAYO podcast, have had several top recommendations from it, but I cannot bear the delivery. I love Alice, but Bethany’s awful speech patterns are totally distracting. I know I’m “old” (‘yeah, ok boomer’ muttered my 13 year old at me last week when I asked her to do something) so I may be missing something, but all the LIKES, the clipped tones, the sighing, the bangers, the upwards inflection — it makes her sound really unintelligent when she’s clearly not.
I generally like Bethany's taste in books but I listened to one episode of WPAYO and thought it was unbearable. It was their best of the decade list - they hadn't prepared their list before recording and spent half the time trying to agree on their picks and also included a book from 2006? Not to mention Bethany sounds utterly posh and uninterested in everything, even when she's saying she loves a book she has zero enthusiasm.

Reactions: 4
I generally like Bethany's taste in books but I listened to one episode of WPAYO and thought it was unbearable. It was their best of the decade list - they hadn't prepared their list before recording and spent half the time trying to agree on their picks and also included a book from 2006? Not to mention Bethany sounds utterly posh and uninterested in everything, even when she's saying she loves a book she has zero enthusiasm.
I remember this episode... it was particularly bad. In fairness to them, they’re much more organised these days. I wish she would stop talking about the crimson petal and the white / the silence of the lambs / “friend of the pool Elizabeth McNeil or Will who lives in the forest etc. We get it, Bethany. You know other famous writers.

the thing that really irritates me about Bethany is that she was never into reading or books or anything like that back when she was building her brwnd As a plus size blogger. Suddenly she decides to write novels and gets a book deal out of nowhere? No doubt she works hard but books were never part of her THING and it really just feels like an moneyspinner. Alice knows a lot more about that world but is less successful, somehow. Doesn’t seem right and I don’t read very much so her content is lost on me now to be honest. I listen to the podcast because I like familiar voices but it’s just background noise these days.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I remember this episode... it was particularly bad. In fairness to them, they’re much more organised these days. I wish she would stop talking about the crimson petal and the white / the silence of the lambs / “friend of the pool Elizabeth McNeil or Will who lives in the forest etc. We get it, Bethany. You know other famous writers.

the thing that really irritates me about Bethany is that she was never into reading or books or anything like that back when she was building her brwnd As a plus size blogger. Suddenly she decides to write novels and gets a book deal out of nowhere? No doubt she works hard but books were never part of her THING and it really just feels like an moneyspinner. Alice knows a lot more about that world but is less successful, somehow. Doesn’t seem right and I don’t read very much so her content is lost on me now to be honest. I listen to the podcast because I like familiar voices but it’s just background noise these days.
I agree with this so much, Alice is amazing at her book recommendations.

Reactions: 2
Stumbled here from the Jack Monroe multiverse, hello Fraus — I love the content of the WPAYO podcast, have had several top recommendations from it, but I cannot bear the delivery. I love Alice, but Bethany’s awful speech patterns are totally distracting. I know I’m “old” (‘yeah, ok boomer’ muttered my 13 year old at me last week when I asked her to do something) so I may be missing something, but all the LIKES, the clipped tones, the sighing, the bangers, the upwards inflection — it makes her sound really unintelligent when she’s clearly not.

I would be delighted if my 7 year old had made me those earrings, from a parental pride point of view, but I am totally embarrassed for her that she values them at £14 — at her age, with her exposure to properly arty people. Cringe
I think I'm about the same age as Bethany and find her speech patterns really cringeworthy. She sounds like someone who's just way too online- referencing memes, shorthand and a bit of appropriation of AAVE as well- toe curling. I don't remember this from the podcast before so I wonder if this is a side effect of lockdown and being too online?! I do agree the podcast is good content wise.

Reactions: 7
Totally agreed. I can't believe she can't see that its also:
a) a little disrespectful to her friends with small businesses
b) suspicious given shes never really shown much desire to make/sell things like this before now / hasn't just addressed the fact that its a blatant cash grab given that shes lost her job and hubby likely isn't bringing in much at the moment (assumed)
c) contradictory to be using polymer clay as someone who loves to virtue signal ✨ sustainability✨ towards other brands.
Polymer clay earrings feel horrible and look so cheap up close. Yes they are lightweight but can't be good to have yet more plastic crap in the world?

Reactions: 6
That plastic tidy she's recommended on her story can be gotten on shein for half the price if anyone interested in it... Rather than pay what the links she's advertising it at are

Reactions: 1
Sorry, I know this is derailing the thread (again) but .... does CharlotteBHC have a new man?! And is she still living with her last man!? Or have I got this wrong 🤨
Living with man she broke up with and bringing new men back to the house it would seem to have business time with.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I mean, more power to her really! Hope her ex at least made himself scarce :LOL:

Reactions: 1
So true. There’s a girl I follow on insta who makes similar stuff and hers costs half the price of Bethany’s! I checked her Etsy link today to compare and was stunned to see it was literally HALF!!
I wonder if the majority of Bethany's customers are people she knows or are acquaintances of hers? She does have a sizeable online following tbf which probably doesn't hurt.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I wonder if the majority of Bethany's customers are people she knows or are acquaintances of hers? She does have a sizeable online following tbf which probably doesn't hurt.
An obsessive following as well who may be buying it to get her attention

• Wow
Used to really like her but she’s driving me mad at the moment. Given that she openly says she’s a very sweaty person WHY does she feel the need to always wear Grey marl for running? Those sweaty cheat selfies are rank, why would you post them on the internet

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Used to really like her but she’s driving me mad at the moment. Given that she openly says she’s a very sweaty person WHY does she feel the need to always wear Grey marl for running? Those sweaty cheat selfies are rank, why would you post them on the internet
I love that this is your breaking point - grey marl 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I always assume its some kind of ✨ Political Statement✨ 'yes i am sweaty, what are you going to do about it?!' kind of thing. She must be aware of how bad it looks so I can only think she is actively deciding to show it off. Also I know she is generally (performatively at least) against fat people having to prove themselves/HAES etc but posting most days about how hard you've worked out? Okay then.

Her photos from a higher perspective (a renowned method for the subject to look thinner, not very BOPO) don't always end well.
Here, especially with the giant scarf, she really looks like a midget (and I am not tall myself lol)

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Her photos from a higher perspective (a renowned method for the subject to look thinner, not very BOPO) don't always end well.
Here, especially with the giant scarf, she really looks like a midget (and I am not tall myself lol)
I know, her bopo politics are v right on but I do wonder how she justifies / gets the BFG doing her pics

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.