Bethany Rutter #2 Fatfishing

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also bought the book on kindle and thought it was awful tbh. Her two young adult novels were pretty good for YA I thought, and Welcome To Your Life was at least readable.

This is unbearably bad, I’ve no idea how it got published and I hope it either doesn’t sell so her publishers stop telling her how wonderful she is, or she has an honest friend/family member who’ll convince her to try harder on the inevitable next one.

Reactions: 2
it’s almost like it was written by someone who casually dilly dally wrote a thousand words at breakfast before trotting off to lunch and the cinema.

the downfall of Bert is disappointing. Ten years ago she was almost untouchable - never problamatic, stayed relatively mysterious, usually just popping up to say something quite cool or clever then disappearing again giving the illusion of a smart poly fat girl about town.

she has fallen in love with her own thinner self image and can’t help but share herself every day which has revealed her as spoiled, smug, boring and hugely annoying.
She is an allegory for influencer versus old school expertise. She put out performed vibes nice or nasty to the ‘right audience for her need’ but never grew past marketing soundbites as a person. She bought her own hype and took her ‘success and offers of chances’ as confirmation bias people love her as much as she worships herself. Her pre trot 1k words are like dear diary today I am a goddess affirmations without irony or skill.

Alice however worked at jobs, writing, taking risks, building networks, growing a podcast, being a well rounded person just ‘fat is my personality’ and shows how you can use the internet, IG and marketing to polish the skills offline. She knew her audience at her talks and neatly knew how far to tease some she maybe didn’t adore in bookselling but values for their takes still buying books from her and by her. She does not take it for granted but I bet has a few group chats you’d think were Tattle threads 😜

Bert is all posed angles to mis-sell and spiky judgy vibes and that mean girl influencer stuff is old overall now but especially for a 35 year old. This book was like ‘I was hot tit 10 years ago!!!’ Well love, life moves on and as they say ‘be careful who you piss off on the way up, because you meet them on the way down.’ Her real personality is peeking out in lieu of more structure and being able to coast off Alice’s work on the podcast etc.

The day Bethany fell behind her chub babe rivals of Stephanie Yeboah, Danielle Vanier and Callie Thorpe and Grace Victory got the Peleton was a better twist than anything in BDE….

“Doing nothing” for me is sitting in my pajamas watching Netflix. Not an overpriced sound bath 😂

IMG_3158.jpeg

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
I can’t imagine a social circle where she’d be queen bee/the bully though, is it just weird frumpy posh girls? The shittest real housewives franchise to ever exist?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I just find it so juvenile to talk about yourself like that, “I am notorious” lol…. No, no one gives a tit.
Only notorious on Tattle but any attention is good attention to those who thrive on ego 😳

Although I suspect from my many service industry jobs she’s also notorious among the staff at her gym, favourite cinema and posh egg store! 😂

• Haha
Share with the class!
Just looked and one of the nicer ones was ‘the audiobook is well narrated.’ 🤣🤣🤣

Also are the ones with the artfully posed bi coloured tulip photos review copies sent to book bloggers? Because they seem more positive than the other I assume ‘spent my own money’ readers. No book treats for the paying public today.

Reactions: 3
I’ve got a week off and BDE is 99p on kindle so I am genuinely tempted to read it just to see what it’s like. I know I will hate it though.

Reactions: 4
I’m still slogging away with this bloody book. Not sure if I can carry on

it’s another self centred “heroine” who claims to be unbothered by their bigger body. Whilst also mentioning it every 3 lines. The diction is EXACTLY as Bethany speaks, everything is delicious or delightful. Lines like “what is a delicious fat witch to do?!”. Every male part is terribly written, the main love interest in the book has absolutely no depth of character whatsoever.

At one point the main character mentions something a little traumatic happening to her being “extremely off brand” for her… I mean… it’s an insight into how BR‘s mind works if nothing else??

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m still slogging away with this bloody book. Not sure if I can carry on

it’s another self centred “heroine” who claims to be unbothered by their bigger body. Whilst also mentioning it every 3 lines. The diction is EXACTLY as Bethany speaks, everything is delicious or delightful. Lines like “what is a delicious fat witch to do?!”. Every male part is terribly written, the main love interest in the book has absolutely no depth of character whatsoever.

At one point the main character mentions something a little traumatic happening to her being “extremely off brand” for her… I mean… it’s an insight into how BR‘s mind works if nothing else??
Yeah that bit is kinda bootstraps meets victim blaming right? Pretty much all the bullying Bitchy Bert stories I heard were along those lines. Very ‘have you just tried not being poor?’ type stuff or what she really means is ‘have you tried being more like me?’

Still not getting she’s glided (trotted or stomped) through life but is not gifted or special. She’s just rich, privileged and lucky.

Also I read the book in about 3 hours which is half the time Kindle estimated and it felt like forever. I was just determined to slog through to apparently spite myself. I note she posted very little about the event in West Kirby last night except the cats. Wonder if the audience were still wading through her weird Bill and Ted online speak bi woman fat fetish sex scenes at home?

Reactions: 3