Best contraception

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New to this thread and have found all your experiences very interesting to read. My only experience with the copper coil has put me off for life, my mum had one put in once and she got pregnant, they couldn’t work out why at the time but years later when my mum was having a colonoscopy, they found the copper wire lodged in my mum, ever since then it’s put me off and everyone I know who’s been on the other type has had a horrible experience. What irritates me, is I’ve been on the mini pill for 4 years due to migraines, it works great for me but every time I go to the doctor they try to force me off it purely because it costs the NHS more money than the implant or coil…. Why is women’s health the first to suffer as a result of money!!!

Hi ladies,
What was everyone's experience with getting the coil fitted?
I had the Mirena coil fitted two years ago and while it wasn't agony, it was a very painful procedure. I remember thinking that it was the worst pain I'd ever experienced. I would describe it as having someone penetrating you with some kind of sharp object and trying to pierce through your uterus (I guess it's not that far off from the truth 😅). It probably didn't help that the coil didn't open properly at first, and that the GP had to go find another one in her drawers while I laid there with my legs wide open 🤣 I was lucky, I didn't have any residual pain or cramping it was only painful during the actual fitting.
I remember reading about other girls' experiences with the coil before my appointment and in the vast majority of articles I read and videos I watched, it was described as something very painful.
Anyways, now that Naga Manchetti has spoken about her experience, I read on the BBC that X and Y health boards and organisations say that it's not meant to be painful? There's even a physician who said that most women would say that the pain is a 2 or a 3? 😱 I'm really just interested in hearing about your experience with it because I feel like I've been lied to 😂
I've had 2 coils fitted now one copper coil about 6 years ago and more recently a mirena. I found it a little uncomfortable, a slight tugging sensation perhaps? And quite crampy for a few hours later. But not painful at all. I've been able to drive and carry on with my day straight after. Same with the removal, a tugging sensation and slight cramps but not painful.

Reactions: 1
Hi ladies,
I had the Mirena coil fitted two years ago and while it wasn't agony, it was a very painful procedure. I remember thinking that it was the worst pain I'd ever experienced. I would describe it as having someone penetrating you with some kind of sharp object and trying to pierce through your uterus (I guess it's not that far off from the truth 😅). It probably didn't help that the coil didn't open properly at first, and that the GP had to go find another one in her drawers while I laid there with my legs wide open 🤣 I was lucky, I didn't have any residual pain or cramping it was only painful during the actual fitting.
I remember reading about other girls' experiences with the coil before my appointment and in the vast majority of articles I read and videos I watched, it was described as something very painful.
Anyways, now that Naga Manchetti has spoken about her experience, I read on the BBC that X and Y health boards and organisations say that it's not meant to be painful? There's even a physician who said that most women would say that the pain is a 2 or a 3? 😱 I'm really just interested in hearing about your experience with it because I feel like I've been lied to 😂
I can honestly say that I never experienced any pain whatsoever when having my copper coil fitted. None. The whole “procedure” took less than 2minutes and I felt NOTHING. Nothing. Not a thing!!! I was very surprised after reading a lot of horror stories but hand on heart, it was very quick and completely pain free - infact I actually had to ask the Dr if she had even done anything because it was so quick and I didn’t feel anything!

Hi ladies,
I’ve had three mirenas and one copper coil over the last 12 years. I’ve never had any pain, for me the only painful bit is the clamp on your uterus to open it. But it’s like a sharp pinch and only last a minute of that. I had my most recent mirena only a few weeks ago, no cramps or anything until my period was due.

They tell you to take pain killers about an hour before but I completely forgot! I found talking through it helped as I wasn’t focused on it either.

Reactions: 2
Thank you all for sharing!

I can honestly say that I never experienced any pain whatsoever when having my copper coil fitted. None. The whole “procedure” took less than 2minutes and I felt NOTHING. Nothing. Not a thing!!! I was very surprised after reading a lot of horror stories but hand on heart, it was very quick and completely pain free - infact I actually had to ask the Dr if she had even done anything because it was so quick and I didn’t feel anything!
Omg where is your GP surgery, I need to go there 😂😭 Isn't it mad how different everyone's experience is? Before I had mine fitted, I was going through the little leaflet with the GP to make sure I understood what I was getting. She told me about all the plus points, then went "Now I won't lie to you, it is painful" and she asked whether I wanted a nurse in the room so I could hold her hand. After it was fitted, she told me to lie down for a bit to catch my breath before getting dressed. I just don't understand why this is normal. Like if you know that the procedure is going to be painful, wouldn't you give a little something to numb the pain a minimum? I guess it has to do with the fact that not everyone will require pain relief? Or maybe just that generally, women and contraception are not that important in the eyes of medicine 😅

Not to scare anyone but I ended up removing my own copper coil at 4am one night because I couldn’t take it anymore, it had been so painful ever since it was put in, and when I removed it it turned out part of the copper wire was sticking out and had been poking into my insides the whole time 😒

I’m on a pill now 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Thank you all for sharing!

Omg where is your GP surgery, I need to go there 😂😭 Isn't it mad how different everyone's experience is? Before I had mine fitted, I was going through the little leaflet with the GP to make sure I understood what I was getting. She told me about all the plus points, then went "Now I won't lie to you, it is painful" and she asked whether I wanted a nurse in the room so I could hold her hand. After it was fitted, she told me to lie down for a bit to catch my breath before getting dressed. I just don't understand why this is normal. Like if you know that the procedure is going to be painful, wouldn't you give a little something to numb the pain a minimum? I guess it has to do with the fact that not everyone will require pain relief? Or maybe just that generally, women and contraception are not that important in the eyes of medicine 😅
I had mine done at my local sexual health clinic which is actually inside my local hospital, the Dr is one of the consultant gynaecologists.

i Dunno. I have previously experienced having a local anesthetic in the cervix for something else and having that done was more uncomfortable!

have you had a vaginal childbirth? My Dr said that some ladies who haven’t had one find it more painful because the cervix has never been stretched?

I know obviously some people will have bad experiences- it’s like anything I guess, some people have a good experience and others not so much, I just know that I was a bit worried about it before I had it done and it’s actually been the most pain free and effortless contraceptive I’ve ever had 👍

I had mine done at my local sexual health clinic which is actually inside my local hospital, the Dr is one of the consultant gynaecologists.

i Dunno. I have previously experienced having a local anesthetic in the cervix for something else and having that done was more uncomfortable!

have you had a vaginal childbirth? My Dr said that some ladies who haven’t had one find it more painful because the cervix has never been stretched?

I know obviously some people will have bad experiences- it’s like anything I guess, some people have a good experience and others not so much, I just know that I was a bit worried about it before I had it done and it’s actually been the most pain free and effortless contraceptive I’ve ever had 👍
Ooh I haven't, maybe that's why! I remember going in thinking that I'd be fine because I never experienced any pain during smear test but boy was I wrong :ROFLMAO: I would say though, as painful as it was, I would go through it again and again, it's definitely been worth it for me. I don't think I'll ever want any other type of contraception.

Poss TMI & I know it's not a medical thread but just looking for some insight please!
Can anyone who's had the coil help me please?
Backstory: I got the copper one 3months ago (day of my elective csection), 9 days later one of the strings came down and was hanging out - hosp cut it and gave me antibiotics for an infection, Dr said he couldn't see the other string so believed there to only be 1. A week later the other string came down and was hanging out longer than the first one - Dr cut it again for me. She cut it to a length where I could feel the string inside and its been fine. I started my first period after pregnancy 4 days ago, been manageable but today (TMI - I've been bleeding really heavily and filling pads up in an hour and passing some clots (smaller than 50p)), I've also been getting bad cramps and feeling really uncomfortable below/feels like somethings trying to come out, I checked and my coil string is now hanging out again (about 2 inches).

Does this sound possibly like it's rejecting or is it normal for the strings to come out when your on your period? This is my first coil so not sure what to expect. If its not normal then obviously I'll call the gp :)

thinking about going back on the pill because the pain is just horrendous and i get such low moods. just so worried about all the side effects 😫 it’s been 5 years since i was last on the pill so i have no idea where to even start.

thinking about going back on the pill because the pain is just horrendous and i get such low moods. just so worried about all the side effects 😫 it’s been 5 years since i was last on the pill so i have no idea where to even start.
Mini pill! Or just go to your nurse and chat about the different types and brands :)

I’ve never seen anyone mention it anywhere before but I took marvelon for years and it was the best… for me!
I’m onto month 3 of the Mirena for the first time after having a baby 6 months ago. I don’t know if I’m loving it but I’m not hating it…

Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this. I have a copper coil (3 months in) and am happy with it; it’s working for me.

I was reading about menstrual cups and bought one because I have quite heavy periods and don’t like sitting in a sanitary pad for hours.

I’ve read online that in SOME cases, menstrual cups have been known to dislodge IUDs, but that this is new research. I know with a cup you’re supposed to ‘break the seal’ when removing it, so the pressure doesn’t pull the IUD out.

Does anyone use the IUD/cup combination? Do you think it could work or is it too risky?

I could never get on with the combined pill and tried loads. Finally tried the mini pill (Noriday) and it was fab. Stayed on it for 14 years and had zero side effects. I tried another mini pill (Cerazette) and hated that one. The only progestogen my body seems to tolerate is norithesterone, which is in Noriday.

Well my copper coil dislodged and came out 🙄 back to the drawing board!

Poss TMI & I know it's not a medical thread but just looking for some insight please!
Can anyone who's had the coil help me please?
Backstory: I got the copper one 3months ago (day of my elective csection), 9 days later one of the strings came down and was hanging out - hosp cut it and gave me antibiotics for an infection, Dr said he couldn't see the other string so believed there to only be 1. A week later the other string came down and was hanging out longer than the first one - Dr cut it again for me. She cut it to a length where I could feel the string inside and its been fine. I started my first period after pregnancy 4 days ago, been manageable but today (TMI - I've been bleeding really heavily and filling pads up in an hour and passing some clots (smaller than 50p)), I've also been getting bad cramps and feeling really uncomfortable below/feels like somethings trying to come out, I checked and my coil string is now hanging out again (about 2 inches).

Does this sound possibly like it's rejecting or is it normal for the strings to come out when your on your period? This is my first coil so not sure what to expect. If its not normal then obviously I'll call the gp :)
Are the strings actually visible on the outside of your body?

Coil strings should be felt inside your vagina, coming out of the cervix. If the strings are outside the vagina, there’s something not quite right there.

Are the strings actually visible on the outside of your body?

Coil strings should be felt inside your vagina, coming out of the cervix. If the strings are outside the vagina, there’s something not quite right there.
Yeah they were completely hanging out. 3rd time they've been hanging completely out of my body 😂 totally not normal. It came out though so explains the pain I was in!

Reactions: 2
Yeah they were completely hanging out. 3rd time they've been hanging completely out of my body 😂 totally not normal. It came out though so explains the pain I was in!
I’ve had a coil rejected by my body too. It’s so weird, isn’t it? One morning I woke with stabbing pains and had to go and have it removed. Sometimes our bodies just don’t accept them.

I’ve had a coil rejected by my body too. It’s so weird, isn’t it? One morning I woke with stabbing pains and had to go and have it removed. Sometimes our bodies just don’t accept them.
It's so strange!! Did you have to wait a certain amount of time before getting a new coil put in? I don't know if mine just came out due to getting it the same day as my csection as theres a higher risk of risk of it coming out after birth. I'd like to try it again but not sure if I need to wait a certain amount of time

It's so strange!! Did you have to wait a certain amount of time before getting a new coil put in? I don't know if mine just came out due to getting it the same day as my csection as theres a higher risk of risk of it coming out after birth. I'd like to try it again but not sure if I need to wait a certain amount of time
I opted to try different methods of birth control after my coil fell out. None of them worked for me and I ended up having a surprise baby! Haha. This is my second coil at the moment. I’m three months down the line with it and it’s good so far, so I’m hoping my body has accepted it and I can go the full ten years with this one.

Maybe yours came out because with postpartum bleeding because your cervix opens a little bit more than a regular period? I don’t even know if that’s true or not. Maybe it was just random.