Best contraception

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did this experience make you switch to the coil?

I love the implant tbh, I had no side effects, just irregular bleeding which I could deal with, but it’s just annoying it’s in my arm now and they can’t get it out. My partner and I looked into private removals but it starts from £300 to get it done. But there’s no wait list
kind of.
If I could of gotten it taken out and a new one in easily I’d of probably done that. But because I was in limbo with it for so long and had To go on the injection and then the pill for a year which I hated (I can’t remember to take the pill at all!!) I had time to think and wanted something I could have in for longer and forget about.
But I’m on the non hormonal copper coil - and it’s really regulated my periods and I feel like my moods are easier to navigate. I literally know when I’m going to come on instead of everything being eratic.
Getting it in is horrible but I really do recommend it.

Does anyone else use Sayana Press? I'm due my next one soon but am struggling getting hold of it...it has happened before and I had to switch back to the depo, then supplies were good again during lockdown, so went back on it again as its so convenient..I get my prescription from an online service and I have also asked local chemists but they don't have it either..
Hey. Old post, but hoping you see this!
I’ve been on depo for almost 10 years and have now been prescribed Sayana. I did my first one with the nurse on Friday (2 days ago) and I’ve noticed a bruise on my stomach. Did/does this happen to you?? I know I need to alternate each area every time I inject.

deffo felt embarrassed/awkward getting my stomach roll out to inject 😩🤣🫣

Reactions: 2
Hey. Old post, but hoping you see this!
I’ve been on depo for almost 10 years and have now been prescribed Sayana. I did my first one with the nurse on Friday (2 days ago) and I’ve noticed a bruise on my stomach. Did/does this happen to you?? I know I need to alternate each area every time I inject.

deffo felt embarrassed/awkward getting my stomach roll out to inject 😩🤣🫣
I'm still using it but I inject in my thighs..I do sometimes get a bruise but I do bruise easily anyway!

Reactions: 1
I'm still using it but I inject in my thighs..I do sometimes get a bruise but I do bruise easily anyway!
Thanks for getting back to me! I might do alternative tops of thighs.
Going off on one… I don’t know if it’s cellulite or not, but one thigh definitely has indents on the outside of it and I’m wondering if it’s from my depo. My old doctors would alternate thighs (this was for 6 ish years) but my new one did it at the bottom of back/top of my bum. 😩

I think I have quite a high pain threshold and have had a vaginal birth but the pain of my 3 coils has stayed in my mind!!!
I have a copper one. They said as I had had depression it wouldn’t be recommended for me to have a mirena.
They call the coil the Rolls Royce of contraception!

It’ll be 2 weeks tomorrow that I had my first Sayana jab. I’ve had bad cramps and bloating which I never had before at all with depo. I had no periods or anything. I know it’s only been 2 weeks, but I’m now wishing I’d have stayed on depo. My prescription is ready for me to collect for a years worth, but I’m thinking of telling them i no longer want it and want to go back in depo. 😩 clearly being OTT and impatient.

I always say spending the afternoon with my niece and nephew when they're in bad moods is the best form of contraception and that they should be taken round schools to show teens "this is what most days are like, not cute dressing them up and cuddles" 😂

Joking aside, having been on the pill since I was about 16 (various types) and it never massively agreeing with me I got the coil fitted last year and aside from the initial pain getting it fitted, the discomfort that day (I was in a weird mood for the rest of the day, in pain, just meh) and the odd spotting of blood in the first 12 weeks, I can honestly say now I don't even know it's there.

My skin has cleared up, I've not put any weight on (the reason for putting off the coil so long was I had two separate friends in high school get them within weeks of each other and they simply ballooned (I'm talking size eight jumping to a size 20) and that always stuck with me and put me off getting it, especially as I'm not a size ten as it is, I couldn't afford to gain anything else).

That being said, I found the side effects of the pill to be too much for me so it was a risk I was willing to take by the time I agreed to it.

I'm now 36, I know I don't want children now or in the future so I'll do the coil again after this.

Hope that helps! Happy to answer any questions!

• Heart
I’ve had child #1 in September 2023, would like another but definitely not instantly, thinking more 3/4/5 years time. I’m useless at taking a pill, bled on depo constantly. Thinking the coil will be my best bet and it’s a bonus it’s non hormonal…

I was on depo for 10 years and now sayana for 4, I love sayana cause it works for me and doing it at home etc. no periods (women don’t have to bleed but no one ever talks about that do they) and no pregnancy scares. But that’s what’s worked for me. I’d never suggest anyone do the same incase it didn’t work for them

I was on depo for 10 years and now sayana for 4, I love sayana cause it works for me and doing it at home etc. no periods (women don’t have to bleed but no one ever talks about that do they) and no pregnancy scares. But that’s what’s worked for me. I’d never suggest anyone do the same incase it didn’t work for them
Did you notice any side effects when moving from depo to Sayana?

Did you notice any side effects when moving from depo to Sayana?
Not really no!! Fluctuating weight but I’ve never gone over the odd stone, was a smooth transition for me. I wouldn’t be worried if they were out of sayana and I had to have the depo again. Sometimes I get worried I’ve injected the sayana wrong but that’s the usual worry when jabbing yourself

@thenorthremembers Where's your rubber glove/crisp packet?
Oh my god. I can’t believe you’ve just done that! That was supposed to be a secret! I can’t trust you with anything.
---
I’ve had child #1 in September 2023, would like another but definitely not instantly, thinking more 3/4/5 years time. I’m useless at taking a pill, bled on depo constantly. Thinking the coil will be my best bet and it’s a bonus it’s non hormonal…
Whilst I’m here..

A Copper coil may make you bleed more, I’ve the hormonal coil, the hormones stay in the uterus area, plus side no periods at all.

As for the sayana. Pros are you can do them at home I had it for 4 years, no need for constant doctor’s appointments, I had no problem swapping from depo to Sayana. And Sayana/depo to coil. Only downside is bruising and making sure it’s at the right angle so you don’t inject it incorrectly. I had no periods on the Sayana too.

Last edited:
  • Haha
If you want bleeding to subside I would not recommend the non hormonal coil which can make periods heavier and more painful

Reactions: 3
Resurrecting this thread to hopefully get some advice!

I've been on Desogestrel for 8 years now with no periods but I'm wondering if it's time for a change. I have zero sex drive, I feel bloated a lot, a bit depressed/lacking in motivation and I'm not sure if it's the pill or just the general state of affairs in the world lol

I would be open to trying another pill but side effects terrify me - like I haven't really gained weight or had acne with this one but what if another one causes it?! I don't recall my periods being too bad, just the general cramps but it's been so long since I've had one I don't know if I can accurately recall.

Do I just come off it and have a break for a while and see how my body reacts? Or ask my doctor if I can try something else. It feels like such a big decision which could effect my life hugely.

Resurrecting this thread to hopefully get some advice!

I've been on Desogestrel for 8 years now with no periods but I'm wondering if it's time for a change. I have zero sex drive, I feel bloated a lot, a bit depressed/lacking in motivation and I'm not sure if it's the pill or just the general state of affairs in the world lol

I would be open to trying another pill but side effects terrify me - like I haven't really gained weight or had acne with this one but what if another one causes it?! I don't recall my periods being too bad, just the general cramps but it's been so long since I've had one I don't know if I can accurately recall.

Do I just come off it and have a break for a while and see how my body reacts? Or ask my doctor if I can try something else. It feels like such a big decision which could effect my life hugely.
If it helps this is how I feel about desogestrel but I’ve been on it for 10 years. I’m wondering if a break in general would be good. It’s a catch 22 changing but deffo speak to a nurse about it, I find they’re generally really helpful

• Heart
I came off the pill last year after ten years on HBC and have been using FAM ever since. I absolutely love it and can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner! It’s easy to do once you’ve done your initial research, and becomes second nature after a while.

This is going to be a bit out there and I don’t want to upset anyone but NOT depo provera. It’s sent me crazy and it’s also failed as I’ve found out I’m pregnant.

So now I’m in for an ultra sound on Thursday and consultation for termination on Friday.

bleeping sucks.

• Wow
This is going to be a bit out there and I don’t want to upset anyone but NOT depo provera. It’s sent me crazy and it’s also failed as I’ve found out I’m pregnant.

So now I’m in for an ultra sound on Thursday and consultation for termination on Friday.

bleeping sucks.
I remember your post the other day about feeling anxious since going on it on the other contraception thread 🙁
I’m sorry. Sending hugs.