Best contraception

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have taken the combined pill for 15+ years (minus been pregnant)
I’ve always been pretty happy with it although I do wonder if it’s killed my libido a bit 🤔
anyway due to migraines I have to come off it. What do you all recommend??

I definitely don’t fancy the mini pill, what’s everybody’s thoughts on a copper or mirena coil? Any advice welcome :)

Reactions: 3
I’ve had both the copper and mirena, both have worked brilliantly for me. I’ve had three in total since I was 20 and only stopped for a pregnancy. No side effects and doesn’t take long for your body to get used to it.

I would recommend going to a family planning clinic/ gynae clinic to have it fitted. They are used to doing them and this has been the most straight forward insertion, I’ve had a doctor do one at my normal surgery and it wasn’t as pleasant and easy.

Thank you for
I’ve had both the copper and mirena, both have worked brilliantly for me. I’ve had three in total since I was 20 and only stopped for a pregnancy. No side effects and doesn’t take long for your body to get used to it.

I would recommend going to a family planning clinic/ gynae clinic to have it fitted. They are used to doing them and this has been the most straight forward insertion, I’ve had a doctor do one at my normal surgery and it wasn’t as pleasant and easy.
Thank you for the reply.
Which did you prefer? I do like the idea of the copper coil and been hormone free

I started off on microgynon and was on it for a few years but then decided to get the implant, it was a very bad idea as I felt like I was going mad so had to beg them to remove it. I then went on Loestrin 30 but as it's no longer being manufactured they prescribed Rigevidon to me about a year ago.

I started off on microgynon and was on it for a few years but then decided to get the implant, it was a very bad idea as I felt like I was going mad so had to beg them to remove it. I then went on Loestrin 30 but as it's no longer being manufactured they prescribed Rigevidon to me about a year ago.
A lady I worked with had problems getting the implant taken out also. She put on loads of weight with it and they wouldn't just take it out. In the end she said if they didn't then she would cut it out herself with a knife and then go to A and E. So they took it out for her!

Reactions: 2
I’ve tried quite a few over the years 😂 the combined pill (also had to stop due to migraines) the mini pill, the implant, mirena coil and the copper coil! I struggle with the hormonal side effects so would 100% recommend the copper coil. I found insertion a little painful but was literally 5 minutes of pain for up to 5 (or even 10!) years contraception! It made my periods heavier but that was the only side effect. Recently had it removed to try and conceive but would definitely have it again in the future.

The mirena was also good but it stopped my periods completely and I prefer to have them.
The implant was by far the worst for me, I bled non stop for 3 out of 4 weeks every month and my mood swings were horrendous!!

Thank you for

Thank you for the reply.
Which did you prefer? I do like the idea of the copper coil and been hormone free
I was advised to get the Mirena last time but other than that no real difference. I get a very light period (pantyliner only) once a month which I actually find reassuring.

As its been mentioned, I have also previously had the implant (late teens) and it sent me crazy.

I had my mirena coils for 20 years, they were great. My daughter recently got the implant which was terrible for her. She had to beg to have it removed and she now has a mirena.

Had the implant for years but definitely noticed weight gain while I had it and for the first year or so the bleeding was completely random - would literally have no bleeding and then without warning id have full on heavy period style bleeding that could last from 2 days to 2 weeks. It was up & down like a yo-yo but after it settled I had no bleeding at all for the rest of the time I used the implant (I had 3 in total spanning a decade)

Have the copper coil now. Completely painless to have inserted and no side effects really - period comes like clockwork and I like that it’s hormone free.

Had a bad time with the implant when it got replaced. Ended up having it out in less than a year. Made my mental health worse than it was originally

A lady I worked with had problems getting the implant taken out also. She put on loads of weight with it and they wouldn't just take it out. In the end she said if they didn't then she would cut it out herself with a knife and then go to A and E. So they took it out for her!
They refused to take mine out and said they would only do it if I was planning to get pregnant 🙄

I hated it, I went from loving it in the first few weeks to a completely different person.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I've tried everything 😂
Combined pill was great but I didnt want periods
Went on depo - found it really good until I came off (to have a baby) and I was an absolute nightmare with hormones
After my son I had PND and anxiety and so didnt want hormonal contraception so had the copper coil but I had terrible heavy periods (tmi I know but I'm talking mooncup and heavy pad and still leak hourly!)
So had the implant which was brilliant, no side effects at all and no bleeding - however they forgot the use the anesthetic when inserting it so its frightened me off ever having it again even though I know theres literally no chance of that happening again

Mini pill after my second child was brilliant but we're done so want something long term as sick of taking a tablet daily, so I'm 4 weeks into Mirena - side effects are bleeding for 3-6 months which is happening but that's normal.

If I find the bleeding doesnt stop or becomes too much I'll go back to depo or if I can pluck up the courage, the implant

What about the snip for him if your family is complete and he's your long term partner or husband?

Reactions: 4
Was on loestrin, wasn’t too bad for about 2 years until I started having really bad pelvic pain but was given microgynon... Which really affected my moods/mental health for about another year. Then got the implant and it was amazing as I never had a period, for 3 years, BUT looking back I gained a lot of weight and had really bad moods again but enjoyed not having to remember to take anything or have checkups. Got a second implant and did have periods, but very light and irregular for a year and never stopped bleeding until they agreed to remove it at 2.5 years in...
Went back to loestrin and honestly loved it, then they stopped making it and they gave me rigvideon (?) which was ok but not my favourite, somehow ended up on microgynon again (it is the bleeping devil) and I had the most painful migraines of my life, seeing stars, lights etc and so was persuaded to get an implant again. Just had it removed after a year of being on a period every bleeping day.

I really don’t fancy the coil so I’m considering the mini pill, but for a couple of months I’m going cold turkey, letting my body heal and using condoms as honestly after 10 years of bleeping about with my body I need a break!

On my second implant, in total I’ve had it for 4.5 years. The bleeding and periods are totally random and heavy sometimes, I put on a bit of weight (which I was happy about anyway). Overall, it’s the most convenient method for me, but I’ve never tried anything else.

I’m way too forgetful for the pill

Any
I had my mirena coils for 20 years, they were great. My daughter recently got the implant which was terrible for her. She had to beg to have it removed and she now has a mirena.
Any obvious side effects with the mirena? Mood swings, acne there the ones I’m most worried about? Thanks

What about the snip for him if your family is complete and he's your long term partner or husband?
I’d love him to have the snip as our family is definitely complete but he point blank refuses unfortunately

• Wow
I’ve been on the depo injection for almost a year and I love it. I’ve gained weight but honestly I think that’s probably more down to lockdown and being at home all the time (I WFH). I don’t get periods which is an absolute bonus for me, I occasionally get a small amount of spotting when I’m due my next injection but from my experience I’d recommend it.

I’ve been on the pill and the patch in the past. I got pregnant on the pill (despite taking it religiously) but the patch was pretty good. The only reason I moved from the patch was because my periods were a bit sporadic, other than that I’d recommend.

I've tried everything and Zoely is the only thing that works for me. I literally have zero side effects. It contains estradiol, the natural estrogen, compared with other pills that contain synthetic estrogen.

I love it so much! But far out, it's expensive.

Is your family complete OP? If yes, sterilisation 👍👍
I’ve asked loads of times to be sterilised but I always get told no. Mainly that I had to be over 30, which I am now (37) and that I need to try a coil first. Now there saying cos of covid stuff like sterilisation won’t be happening.

I’ve tried quite a few over the years 😂 the combined pill (also had to stop due to migraines) the mini pill, the implant, mirena coil and the copper coil! I struggle with the hormonal side effects so would 100% recommend the copper coil. I found insertion a little painful but was literally 5 minutes of pain for up to 5 (or even 10!) years contraception! It made my periods heavier but that was the only side effect. Recently had it removed to try and conceive but would definitely have it again in the future.

The mirena was also good but it stopped my periods completely and I prefer to have them.
The implant was by far the worst for me, I bled non stop for 3 out of 4 weeks every month and my mood swings were horrendous!!
Yes I agree, I like the reassurance of having my periods.