Best contraception

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone had the copper coil and recommend it? I'm having my second baby next week via csection and they've advised they can put the coil in during the op so I wouldn't feel it. I don't get on with hormonal contraception (tried several pills, implant and patch) so I like how this lasts for 10 years and no hormones. The only thing that worries me is the heavier bleeding that can happen, but is it a ridiculous amount or manageable when you already have semi-heavy periods?
I’ve not personally had one but I have a few friends who have - a couple have had quite bad experiences with cramping and heavy periods. If you can deal with that it’s worth it for a non hormonal contraception. I’d get it but I get quite bad cramping anyway and don’t want to make it worse.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone had the copper coil and recommend it? I'm having my second baby next week via csection and they've advised they can put the coil in during the op so I wouldn't feel it. I don't get on with hormonal contraception (tried several pills, implant and patch) so I like how this lasts for 10 years and no hormones. The only thing that worries me is the heavier bleeding that can happen, but is it a ridiculous amount or manageable when you already have semi-heavy periods?
I had the copper coil for 6 years and my periods were horrendous. I was using up to 8 tampons per day even when buying super plus. I then bled every single day for 18 months and ended up having multiple procedures to find the cause, it was the copper coil. I now have the mirena, the bleeding has stopped and I don't have any periods. I am a bit low in mood currently. The depo gave me a clot on my brain which made me have a stroke yet others love it. Just shows that all contraception affects people differently.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I had the copper coil for 6 years and my periods were horrendous. I was using up to 8 tampons per day even when buying super plus. I then bled every single day for 18 months and ended up having multiple procedures to find the cause, it was the copper coil. I now have the mirena, the bleeding has stopped and I don't have any periods. I am a bit low in mood currently. The depo gave me a clot on my brain which made me have a stroke yet others love it. Just shows that all contraception affects people differently.
Oh my gosh! That's awful, I'm so sorry to hear! That must have been so terrifying.
I just wish there was something that didn't harm woman's health at all which was completely safe to use 😐

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Does anyone have experiences of the injection? I really don’t want to keep taking the pill. I came off it about 6 months ago and I’m so much happier and it’s also massively cleared my skin up! My boyfriend hates condoms🙄🙄🙄 and tbf I don’t completely trust them but obviously we use them at the minute. I don’t want an implant or coil so I think my best options are the injection or the patch.

I have taken the combined pill for 15+ years (minus been pregnant)
I’ve always been pretty happy with it although I do wonder if it’s killed my libido a bit 🤔
anyway due to migraines I have to come off it. What do you all recommend??

I definitely don’t fancy the mini pill, what’s everybody’s thoughts on a copper or mirena coil? Any advice welcome :)
What's wrong with the mini pill? Are you talking about cerezette?

Does anyone have experiences of the injection? I really don’t want to keep taking the pill. I came off it about 6 months ago and I’m so much happier and it’s also massively cleared my skin up! My boyfriend hates condoms🙄🙄🙄 and tbf I don’t completely trust them but obviously we use them at the minute. I don’t want an implant or coil so I think my best options are the injection or the patch.
I don’t personally but it’s the same hormones as in the pill (or progesterone only pill anyway) so if that didn’t suit you there’s a chance the injection won’t either.

I don’t personally but it’s the same hormones as in the pill (or progesterone only pill anyway) so if that didn’t suit you there’s a chance the injection won’t either.
Ah okay that makes sense. Such a mind field not trying to get preg🥴🤣🤣

Oh my gosh! That's awful, I'm so sorry to hear! That must have been so terrifying.
I just wish there was something that didn't harm woman's health at all which was completely safe to use 😐
Thank you 💜 I was only 26 and my son was only 5 months old so it was scary as you can imagine. Spent 1 year in recovery but thankfully I'm now back to normal other than having to take medication for life. Oh I wish that too. Its awful how at risk we are just through trying to not get pregnant or regulate our periods. X

• Heart
I’m on my third implant and find it works best for me, I havnt had a period for 7 years now (which I don’t known if that’s a good or bad thing) but I recently had to wait a year for my new one to be put in and it was delayed due to Covid, I was on the cerazette pill and I had no issues just that I kept forgetting to take it! I find the implant good because you can just forget about it, although I am worried when I want to start a family I’ve been on contraception for 7 years and wether that will effect things.

I’m on my third implant and find it works best for me, I havnt had a period for 7 years now (which I don’t known if that’s a good or bad thing) but I recently had to wait a year for my new one to be put in and it was delayed due to Covid, I was on the cerazette pill and I had no issues just that I kept forgetting to take it! I find the implant good because you can just forget about it, although I am worried when I want to start a family I’ve been on contraception for 7 years and wether that will effect things.
I went on the implant because so many people I knew had it and never had periods. I ended up bleeding fo months at a time! Typical 😂

I was on the injection for 7 years and found my sex drive vanished, and I became miserable and snappy, it also gave me acne. On the plus side, after reading it can take 2 years for periods to come back mine took 1.5 years to return and got pregnant 6 months later. I am debating the non hormonal coil but the stories about how painful it is to insert put me off so for now it’s condoms 🤷🏼‍♀️

I’m reading this thread because my nearly 17 year old has asked me how to go about getting a prescription for the pill and we had a chat about contraception in general.

I’m horrified that women who get the implant and it doesn’t agree with them have issues with getting it removed again. That’s disgusting. I can’t help thinking if blokes got the implant, removal would be done on demand, no question. Same goes for sterilisation.

Reactions: 4
Does anyone else use Sayana Press? I'm due my next one soon but am struggling getting hold of it...it has happened before and I had to switch back to the depo, then supplies were good again during lockdown, so went back on it again as its so convenient..I get my prescription from an online service and I have also asked local chemists but they don't have it either..

I’ve had the copper coil for about 8 months now.
It was completely painless to have put in - didn’t feel a thing and it literally took about 2minutes to do from start to finish!!!!)
My periods are regular and are similar to how they were naturally, perhaps ever so
Slightly heavier but nothing that causes me any issues or problems in anyway. I have nothing negative to say about the copper coil - it’s been great for me.

I’ve had the copper coil for about 8 months now.
It was completely painless to have put in - didn’t feel a thing and it literally took about 2minutes to do from start to finish!!!!)
My periods are regular and are similar to how they were naturally, perhaps ever so
Slightly heavier but nothing that causes me any issues or problems in anyway. I have nothing negative to say about the copper coil - it’s been great for me.
Thank you so much!! I got it put in at my section and no complaints so far other than getting a fright when one of the strings came down and out 😅 major panic moment hahaha

I had a copper coil put in three days ago. It’s a great option for me because it’s non-hormonal. It was relatively pain-free when being put in. It just felt like a little pinch for a second. I had cramping for one day, then the cramping stopped 👍🏻. I’ve been bleeding every day and it’s as heavy as my normal period. Apparently you can bleed for weeks, if not months, until it settles down. I’m prepared to wait for it to settle. It lasts up to ten years, which is amazing.

• Heart
I was on Cerazette for a year and then switched for the implant (Implanon).

I will definitely say the start on Cerazette was very hard mentally, though it coincided with a very bad breakup, so I'm not sure I can blame my very dark thoughts on it. I had one very bad and painful period and then none, which was what I was hoping for as I had really bad periods and PMS. I also had at least 4 nights per week of intense night sweats. Despite the bad side effects, I still found not having periods tvery beneficial for me.

I then switched to the implant which has been absolutely wonderful so far. I was warned by my GP I would definitely gain a bit of weight, but did not. I had two periods and then they were gone. I have had a bit of night sweats as well, but maybe just for the first month. I have been period free for two years and it is just wonderful.

I was on microgynon for 6 years before I had my son, then went back on it after he was born for 2 years before I had my daughter. In all honesty I was very naive about what else was out there and the GP wasn't forthcoming in offering much advice.

After I had my daughter my hormones took a really long time to settle back down. I bled for about 3 months and didn't get a period until she was 11 months old (I wasn't breast feeding) I was unimaginably emotional and the slightest thing upset me. My husband took me to the GP who pretty much said hormones can take up to 2 years to settle and that if my periods weren't back after 12 months to go back.

I decided I didn't want to put anymore hormones in my body when I couldn't regulate my natural ones. So we have used condoms ever since. My husband has never really broached the subject and knows I'm comfortable with the current method.

I know you can get hormone free contraception but I'm still not quite ready to try anything, I suppose I'm a little terrified things will offset my hormones again.

Hi ladies,
What was everyone's experience with getting the coil fitted?
I had the Mirena coil fitted two years ago and while it wasn't agony, it was a very painful procedure. I remember thinking that it was the worst pain I'd ever experienced. I would describe it as having someone penetrating you with some kind of sharp object and trying to pierce through your uterus (I guess it's not that far off from the truth 😅). It probably didn't help that the coil didn't open properly at first, and that the GP had to go find another one in her drawers while I laid there with my legs wide open 🤣 I was lucky, I didn't have any residual pain or cramping it was only painful during the actual fitting.
I remember reading about other girls' experiences with the coil before my appointment and in the vast majority of articles I read and videos I watched, it was described as something very painful.
Anyways, now that Naga Manchetti has spoken about her experience, I read on the BBC that X and Y health boards and organisations say that it's not meant to be painful? There's even a physician who said that most women would say that the pain is a 2 or a 3? 😱 I'm really just interested in hearing about your experience with it because I feel like I've been lied to 😂

Hi ladies,
What was everyone's experience with getting the coil fitted?
I had the Mirena coil fitted two years ago and while it wasn't agony, it was a very painful procedure. I remember thinking that it was the worst pain I'd ever experienced. I would describe it as having someone penetrating you with some kind of sharp object and trying to pierce through your uterus (I guess it's not that far off from the truth 😅). It probably didn't help that the coil didn't open properly at first, and that the GP had to go find another one in her drawers while I laid there with my legs wide open 🤣 I was lucky, I didn't have any residual pain or cramping it was only painful during the actual fitting.
I remember reading about other girls' experiences with the coil before my appointment and in the vast majority of articles I read and videos I watched, it was described as something very painful.
Anyways, now that Naga Manchetti has spoken about her experience, I read on the BBC that X and Y health boards and organisations say that it's not meant to be painful? There's even a physician who said that most women would say that the pain is a 2 or a 3? 😱 I'm really just interested in hearing about your experience with it because I feel like I've been lied to 😂
I had the mirena fitted about 6 weeks ago for the first time… I wouldn’t say it was painful, but more uncomfortable, I had a smear at the same time and it kind of felt like that 🤔