Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Definitelyme

VIP Member
Any

Any obvious side effects with the mirena? Mood swings, acne there the ones I’m most worried about? Thanks

I’d love him to have the snip as our family is definitely complete but he point blank refuses unfortunately
So you’ve had babies, gone through all the post partum stuff, and had years of hormonal contraception... but he won’t do his part?!
No no no! Tell him the only option is he gets the snip or he uses condoms, you have put your body through enough over the last 10+ years and that’s that.
The fact that he won’t even consider it would have me in a full rage (even if you were happy to do something else).

Why is the woman’s problem to sort out contraception? Makes me mad!

• Heart
Reactions: 24

Raininvain

VIP Member
Any

Any obvious side effects with the mirena? Mood swings, acne there the ones I’m most worried about? Thanks

I’d love him to have the snip as our family is definitely complete but he point blank refuses unfortunately
Well you can point blank refuse to take responsibility as well. I'd say the snip, condoms or he wanks. Why should it always fall on women's shoulders to do everything whilst men sit back and get a free ride literally.

Reactions: 9
Oh no, I read “best conception” by mistake and was expecting... something different. Sorry for the off topic comment, but I laughed so hard when I realized my mistake

• Haha
Reactions: 8

ChampagneBox

VIP Member
This thread really makes me sad you know! I can hear the frustration from all of us about lack of choice and the fact we want to avoid pregnancy without potentially damaging side effects from extra hormones! It sucks 😓

Reactions: 7

Geranium

VIP Member
Thats terrible didnt you feel like leaving him? I'd have either kicked him out or refused to sleep with him again. Hes just actively lied/mislead you.
I did, actually. It’s almost ten years ago but I still feel angry about it although it worked out ok for me in the end, I guess. He never gave me a reason, either, just that he wouldn’t do it. He’s a bit younger than me and I wondered if he was hanging onto his fertility in case he ended up remarrying a younger woman. To be honest as well, my female friends were basically sympathising with him, saying “you can’t force him, some men are just too squeamish, it’s not worth falling out about.” So I ended up feeling I was being unreasonable.

• Sad
Reactions: 7

WilmaHun

VIP Member
This thread really makes me sad you know! I can hear the frustration from all of us about lack of choice and the fact we want to avoid pregnancy without potentially damaging side effects from extra hormones! It sucks 😓
Isn't it frustrating the shit women have to go through just to be able to have sex without ending up with a child. Taking the contraception doesn't bother me, it's the side effects! Men really do have it soooo much easier.

Reactions: 5

Gossgirl12

Chatty Member
Has anyone had the copper coil and recommend it? I'm having my second baby next week via csection and they've advised they can put the coil in during the op so I wouldn't feel it. I don't get on with hormonal contraception (tried several pills, implant and patch) so I like how this lasts for 10 years and no hormones. The only thing that worries me is the heavier bleeding that can happen, but is it a ridiculous amount or manageable when you already have semi-heavy periods?
I had the copper coil for 6 years and my periods were horrendous. I was using up to 8 tampons per day even when buying super plus. I then bled every single day for 18 months and ended up having multiple procedures to find the cause, it was the copper coil. I now have the mirena, the bleeding has stopped and I don't have any periods. I am a bit low in mood currently. The depo gave me a clot on my brain which made me have a stroke yet others love it. Just shows that all contraception affects people differently.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I’m reading this thread because my nearly 17 year old has asked me how to go about getting a prescription for the pill and we had a chat about contraception in general.

I’m horrified that women who get the implant and it doesn’t agree with them have issues with getting it removed again. That’s disgusting. I can’t help thinking if blokes got the implant, removal would be done on demand, no question. Same goes for sterilisation.

Hulahoopsfromthe80s

I dunno why some men are hung up over the snip. Mine had it done (twice!) Its made no difference in our sex life. Its prob better as no risk of pregnancy, im no longer a miserable hormonal bitch 99% of the time either.

Raininvain

VIP Member
What about the snip for him if your family is complete and he's your long term partner or husband?

Sally1993

Chatty Member
I am in the same position as some other posters on this thread. I have been on every different type of birth control for over 15 years. I have had two babies: one natural birth and one caesarean.

I have suffered with postnatal depression and can no longer take any hormonal birth control. Our only options are the copper coil or condoms. I am on the waiting list to get a copper coil but it’s been months now. All we can do is use condoms but they turn me off so much, we barely have sex anymore.

I have talked to my partner about a vasectomy but he is scared and doesn’t feel ready at this time. Our family is complete and we definitely do not want more children. I feel so stressed about this situation as I am petrified of getting pregnant again. It makes me want to stop having sex at all. It frustrates me how it’s made to feel like it’s the woman’s responsibility to sort out the contraception. I don’t know what to do anymore.

• Sad
  • Heart

standupsitdown

Chatty Member
I had the coil (copper, non hormone) for about 5 years and absolutely loved it. No hassle, didn’t know it was there. Apparently it’s the go to standard contraception for youngsters in China, whereas here there are worries that if youngsters have it they’ll put themselves at risk from STD’s.

There’s a really good website that shows photos of one in place throughout the monthly cycle, I’ll see if I can find it.

Here it is, those considering the coil may find it interesting. Bear in mind it’s graphic 🤣

Maxine1974

I have taken the combined pill for 15+ years (minus been pregnant)
I’ve always been pretty happy with it although I do wonder if it’s killed my libido a bit 🤔
anyway due to migraines I have to come off it. What do you all recommend??

I definitely don’t fancy the mini pill, what’s everybody’s thoughts on a copper or mirena coil? Any advice welcome :)

Reactions: 3

freaknasty

Chatty Member
Not to scare anyone but I ended up removing my own copper coil at 4am one night because I couldn’t take it anymore, it had been so painful ever since it was put in, and when I removed it it turned out part of the copper wire was sticking out and had been poking into my insides the whole time 😒

I’m on a pill now 🤣

• Wow

Hello Kitty

VIP Member
I started off on microgynon and was on it for a few years but then decided to get the implant, it was a very bad idea as I felt like I was going mad so had to beg them to remove it. I then went on Loestrin 30 but as it's no longer being manufactured they prescribed Rigevidon to me about a year ago.

I’ve had both the copper and mirena, both have worked brilliantly for me. I’ve had three in total since I was 20 and only stopped for a pregnancy. No side effects and doesn’t take long for your body to get used to it.

I would recommend going to a family planning clinic/ gynae clinic to have it fitted. They are used to doing them and this has been the most straight forward insertion, I’ve had a doctor do one at my normal surgery and it wasn’t as pleasant and easy.

Bettyboo2475

Chatty Member
Ive just had my 2nd coil out. I found the side effects not worth the effort. I gained a lot of weight, my deprrssion and anxiety worsened and i just didnt feel right. Now its been removed, i feel normal. I am now practising abstinence as my husband also doesnt want the snip.

Funsizes

I’ve had child #1 in September 2023, would like another but definitely not instantly, thinking more 3/4/5 years time. I’m useless at taking a pill, bled on depo constantly. Thinking the coil will be my best bet and it’s a bonus it’s non hormonal…
If you want bleeding to subside I would not recommend the non hormonal coil which can make periods heavier and more painful