BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Twice I’ve heard the song ‘Turning Japanese’ by the Vapours on BBC Radio London recently. Yesterday it was the last song in Robert Elms’ show. Wasn’t listed in the playlist though. Seems an odd song to play nowadays with that title. If you look up what it means there appears to be no definitive meaning but the title and lyrics are non PC nowadays.

Reactions: 1
Johnny Walker - Sounds of The Seventies. Why does he substitute D for a T or TH when he’s speaking? It’s really started to bug me. Sounds of Da Sevendies. It’s got worse. I know he’s been doing it for a long time but still. I’m listening on the Sounds App.

I once had the misfortune of sitting opposite him in a restaurant, same table with a female friend. She knew him. He was sitting next to his then wife or girlfriend and he started playing footsie with me under the table. It was so gross. I could not believe he was doing it whilst sitting next to his partner.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
Johnny Walker - Sounds of The Seventies. Why does he substitute D for a T or TH when he’s speaking? It’s really started to bug me. Sounds of Da Sevendies. It’s got worse. I know he’s been doing it for a long time but still. I’m listening on the Sounds App.

I once had the misfortune of sitting opposite him in a restaurant, same table with a female friend. She knew him. He was sitting next to his then wife or girlfriend and he started playing footsie with me under the table. It was so gross. I could not believe he was doing it whilst sitting next to his partner.
I just wanted to add that I’ve checked his marital history and this was before his current wife just in case he tries to sue me. It was in the early Nineties so he was still married to his first wife.

Shocked that Grimshaw would quit as he never seems comfortable in front of the camera, so I don't expect TV work. Maybe he will end up on Heart like Dev did? Love Vick Hope and Jordan North so I am happy with this.

Shocked that Grimshaw would quit as he never seems comfortable in front of the camera, so I don't expect TV work. Maybe he will end up on Heart like Dev did? Love Vick Hope and Jordan North so I am happy with this.

He could have been sacked but was allowed to say it was his choice. That’s a large salary to give up.

He could have been sacked but was allowed to say it was his choice. That’s a large salary to give up.
Very surprising as well with the length of time he’s been there that he’s just left so quickly, compared to Annie Mac who announced she was leaving in April and her last show isn’t til the end of July!

I adore the archers & desert island discs the most out of everything, sometimes I’ll listen to Pete Tong but I just love radio 4. Think it’s because mum had it playing my whole life and it feels homey to me. I’m 23 and my friends barely listen to the radio, they all take the piss out of me for being putting radio 4 on 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I adore the archers & desert island discs the most out of everything, sometimes I’ll listen to Pete Tong but I just love radio 4. Think it’s because mum had it playing my whole life and it feels homey to me. I’m 23 and my friends barely listen to the radio, they all take the piss out of me for being putting radio 4 on 🤣
The hour between 5am - 6am on Radio4 is great, the handover from the WorldService, Shipping Forecast, the papers, news/sport, birdsong of the day etc :love:

Reactions: 6
I immediately thought this had happened. They wanted fresh blood, and needed more diversity and females to tick the box so Grimmy was the one to go but allowed to say it was his choice.
I’m just glad that Scott and Chris are still hanging on in there after all this time!! I do enjoy their show.

• Heart
Found this in Mail online. They’ve cut some of the BBC presenters salaries, but still! Feltz does have a BBC Radio London slot Monday to Friday as well as her Radio 2 slot.
950E437C-2FD4-4FEF-8CA2-ACE52D6D3F5E.jpeg

• Wow
There was a brilliant Desert Island Discs with Sophia Loren a little while back.
Recommended

Last week's Desert Island Discs with Noel Fitzpatrick was a good episode, he was getting quite upset talking about his younger years.
Jessica Ennis Hill is this morning's castaway.

I’m now listening to Stephen Nolan on 5Live for a change. He’s on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

The hour between 5am - 6am on Radio4 is great, the handover from the WorldService, Shipping Forecast, the papers, news/sport, birdsong of the day etc :love:
Selsey Bill always tickles my fancy when I'm listening in bed.

Edit: Oh dear, that sounds quite rude :eek:

• Haha
Bless you! When I was 23 I would only listen to music on the radio, as I got older I couldn't be bothered so much about music, especially the boring regurgitated playlists. Older still, I tuned into talk radio stations, but now in my 50's they also bore me with the same topics and the same callers. I joked with a friend that I must be getting old as I now much prefer Radio 4. Same as you - The Archers, Desert Island Discs, the short plays and the many interesting topics not interrupted by ignorant callers. I also love the World Service.

Don't worry about what other people say, you are most probably better informed with your listening choice than they are. Keep enjoying R4 (y)

Reactions: 3
I caught last Sunday's Desert Island Discs repeat on Radio4 this morning, with lawyer & former head of the CPS Nazir Afzal.
A really good programme, an interesting life Nazir has had, with high profile cases.
Some great music too, I still can't quite picture a leading lawyer raving to 'Set You Free by N-Trance' though 😁

• Haha
I caught last Sunday's Desert Island Discs repeat on Radio4 this morning, with lawyer & former head of the CPS Nazir Afzal.
A really good programme, an interesting life Nazir has had, with high profile cases.
Some great music too, I still can't quite picture a leading lawyer raving to 'Set You Free by N-Trance' though 😁
OMG! I'm so pleased you said this as I was also very surprised with his choice of music.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.