Baby Names

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not a massive fan of my almost 8 year old's name. His dad picked it.
He'd have been Cora if a girl.
Now I quite like
Louisa and Oscar

Reactions: 2
My children's names are different oldest they all have double barrelled first names the eldest hers is common but the second part isnt.the middle child I have met anyone with her name and the youngest her names old fashioned but had never heard of anyone with the two names put together which I love.
If I had any more these are the names I like
Girls
Betsy-Mae
Harlow-rae
Indie-jane

Boys
Alex-James
Riley-James
Kia-James
Henry-james

General principles
Like: traditional, easy to spell, can't be easily shortened.
Dislike: made up sounding, strange spellings just for the sake of being different, double-barrelled

Boys
Like:
Liam
Adam
Joel
Jude
(My sons name is in this list)

Dislike:
Finley (have taught 7 of them and they've all been horrible 🙈)

Girls
Like:
Erin
Emma
Eilidh
(Dunno why they all start with E!)

Dislike:
Isla (waaaaay too common where I live)
Anything 'floral' e.g. daisy, poppy, lily, holly
anything really 'cutesy' e.g. evie, maisie

As you can see I'm quite picky!!! 😂😂
100% agree with your general principles here, hate when people change the spelling just to try and be different so the poor kid has to constantly explain it’s spelt differently! Same re Isla - way to common now and I’ve started seeing people spelling it ‘Ayla’

Reactions: 2
I’m a Welsh speaker but dont like many Welsh names, but here’s my list -

girls :
Alba
Indi
Roma
Aria
Taith (means journey in Welsh)
Evelyn
Miri (means playful/fun)

boys :
Jesse
Caleb
Cassius
Levi
Elgan
Theodore

100% agree with your general principles here, hate when people change the spelling just to try and be different so the poor kid has to constantly explain it’s spelt differently! Same re Isla - way to common now and I’ve started seeing people spelling it ‘Ayla’
Isn’t Ayla pronounced different to Isla though - the ay as in “pay”, whereas Isla is eye-la.

Reactions: 3
Isn’t Ayla pronounced different to Isla though - the ay as in “pay”, whereas Isla is eye-la.
Well that would make sense but the people I know who have used this name are using it as an alternative spelling to Isla, other people did try and tell them everyone will get it wrong!

Reactions: 1
We have two boys and not having any more but I still make these lists as we tend to have an endless stream of pets in this house :love:

We have a Charlie (Charles Henry) and an Alf (Alfie James) and pet wise we have Lily, Luna and Marla (all girls) and previously we had Henry, Hamish, George, Teddy, Millie and Daisy!

Names I Like

Girls: Mia, Sophia, Penny, Charlotte, Mariella, Bonnie, Rose, Jasmine
Boys: Flynn, Pablo (for pet not child), Angus, Sonny, Joe

Don't have children yet but making a plan for them soon.
Already have our lists!! The problem is I work with children so names can get crossed off that list pretty quick!! If you also work with children you know what I mean.

Girls names: Elsie(after my grandma), Penelope, Posy, Opehelia

Boys names: Arthur. Theodore, Flynn, Atticus

Quite a short list.

Reactions: 6
I’m a Welsh speaker but dont like many Welsh names, but here’s my list -

girls :
Alba
Indi
Roma
Aria
Taith (means journey in Welsh)
Evelyn
Miri (means playful/fun)

boys :
Jesse
Caleb
Cassius
Levi
Elgan
Theodore
Absolutely love Aria and most Greek makes to be fair.

• Heart
I really like the name Atlas for a boy - someone in my playgroup called their little boy Atlas and I just love it.

I'm not a fan of the Arthur/Archie/Alfie theme going on recently. Similarly not a fan of Betsy/Nancy/Charlotte/or anything ending in - rae, mae

Last edited:
I see Jesse has popped up a few times I really wanted to call my 2nd Jesse but I made the mistake of telling everyone how much I liked it & I didn’t have 1 positive response so it put me off :cry:

Girls-
Iv always wanted a Georgia. Also like Ella, summer, Erin

Boys- we really only have Edward (Eddie) my husband likes Tobias though.

Trying for a baby and on my list I have

Boys:
Nico
Harrison
Theo
Enzo
Luca
Rocco

Girls;
Bea
Rosalie
Ivy
Iris
Anais
Belle
Nola
Fia
Capri
Blubelle
Everly

Not all have been approved by partner who’s insisting we have Italian names 😅

My husband and I are thinking of the name Sarah and middle name Marie for are baby there’s no real significant meaning behind either name What do people think of the name?? it’s so hard to decide what to call her
Lovely choice!
Sarah is my sister and was my grandmother’s name. I always think it’s an elegant, timeless classic name. Not one that can go wrong and suits a woman all stages of her life. Some more fad names I worry about elderly women being called Khaleesi and things as such 😳

We’ve got:

Ruaraidh James
Lachlan Andrew
Ayla Grace
Caelan Isaac

All middle names were family names.

Also loved:
Isla (too popular)
Harris (too popular)
Struan
Mirren
Imogen
Innes
Stab in the dark; are you a fellow Scot?! Some gorgeous names there. Love Ruaraidh snd Struan (have only ever met one man named Struan but I loved saying it!)

• Heart
I love unusual names but not whacky. My children have first names which are more commonly surnames (not intentional). My middle boys name is becoming more popular now 🙄 and I'm having my third in a few weeks, we have a name and its unusual but not weird. I started working as a TA last year so that makes name choosing even harder as I associate a child with the name 🤣

My girls list however was:

Mabel
Spencer (wouldnt have it for a boy)
Olive
Meadow
Quinn
My out there name was Lavender - I think it's so pretty but too quirky for us to have used.

I see Jesse has popped up a few times I really wanted to call my 2nd Jesse but I made the mistake of telling everyone how much I liked it & I didn’t have 1 positive response so it put me off :cry:
I made the same mistake as you and told people what I was considering naming one of my children. It was a family member and they were really quite rude about it. It put me off too. I didn't make the mistake of telling people with my other children.