Australian Pop Culture and Influencer Podcasts #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her entire brand is whinging.
‘Saving our butts’ what the infant is going to wander off to the bar if not for the bit of plastic covering him?

• Haha
Reactions: 18
A 5 hour layover with a newborn sounds like a piece of cake. Feed and change him., then do literally anything you like

Reactions: 16
She is completely insufferable already, sharing her ‘travel tips’ all of which aren’t necessary. I fail to see how having a bassinet and play mat on the plane in business class is achievable for her greater audience. Also can’t remember even one time I found packing a nappy caddy necessary.

Reactions: 7
I started her “what a baby cost” podcast episode and it’s completely insane. If anyone listening to it thinks they need to spend such an absurd amount of money, I’d be concerned. It’s so out of touch, not to mention - all entirely personal choice. Easily spent in excess $15k to have a baby. I have no qualms about people choosing to spend their money how they like but she can’t offer a comparison because she’s only done it once and done it privately. I also found it a bit obnoxious because she’s focusing on costs and products as opposed to anything meaningful. There are plenty of perfectly good items people can get from marketplace… plus the whole fact being that newborns don’t actually cost a whole lot. She’s tallying up heaps and heaps of costs for products that are not mandatory or necessary.

Reactions: 15
I started her “what a baby cost” podcast episode and it’s completely insane. If anyone listening to it thinks they need to spend such an absurd amount of money, I’d be concerned. It’s so out of touch, not to mention - all entirely personal choice. Easily spent in excess $15k to have a baby. I have no qualms about people choosing to spend their money how they like but she can’t offer a comparison because she’s only done it once and done it privately. I also found it a bit obnoxious because she’s focusing on costs and products as opposed to anything meaningful. There are plenty of perfectly good items people can get from marketplace… plus the whole fact being that newborns don’t actually cost a whole lot. She’s tallying up heaps and heaps of costs for products that are not mandatory or necessary.
I think she needs to look at who her target market is, I use to enjoy the podcast years ago but don’t listen any more. The Facebook group is all about people looking at areas to save money especially for babies. I’ve seen posts about when to shop for nappies for sales and here is Vicky D flying business showing us hacks about a bassinet

Reactions: 22
I think she needs to look at who her target market is, I use to enjoy the podcast years ago but don’t listen any more. The Facebook group is all about people looking at areas to save money especially for babies. I’ve seen posts about when to shop for nappies for sales and here is Vicky D flying business showing us hacks about a bassinet
Thrilled for her that she’s so wildly successful, but I don’t find it useful because none of it is practical advice for me.

Reactions: 8
It’s insane and would be stressful for someone who is pregnant and struggling financially to read. I agree that people should spend what they want on their pregnancy and baby but am uncomfortable with the culture she promotes. If you have a straightforward pregnancy and choose to and are able to breastfeed, babies really hardly cost anything. Aldi nappies are half the cost of premium ones and work just the same. Cloth nappies are an even better option if you have the time and resources for them. For the love of god, you do not need a change table or a matching nursery suite. I was saving hard when pregnant with both and always popped into op shops to look for baby clothes. They have heaps of brand new clothes with tags, especially for small young babies and kids. People sell bundles on FB all the time and I’m NSW you get given a bag of essentials when you give birth including a bath thermometer and stuff like that. I bought a new cot but for second child I just changed mattress as per SIDS guidelines and hi waylay just bought a few clothes from best and less and target as find their quality a bit better than other cheaper brands. Think I got a bath mat and a tin of formula incase I couldn’t BF which I donated when I didn’t need it. My kids have never gone without and are just as happy as if I’d dropped 20000 on unnecessary shite.

Reactions: 14
It’s insane and would be stressful for someone who is pregnant and struggling financially to read. I agree that people should spend what they want on their pregnancy and baby but am uncomfortable with the culture she promotes. If you have a straightforward pregnancy and choose to and are able to breastfeed, babies really hardly cost anything. Aldi nappies are half the cost of premium ones and work just the same. Cloth nappies are an even better option if you have the time and resources for them. For the love of god, you do not need a change table or a matching nursery suite. I was saving hard when pregnant with both and always popped into op shops to look for baby clothes. They have heaps of brand new clothes with tags, especially for small young babies and kids. People sell bundles on FB all the time and I’m NSW you get given a bag of essentials when you give birth including a bath thermometer and stuff like that. I bought a new cot but for second child I just changed mattress as per SIDS guidelines and hi waylay just bought a few clothes from best and less and target as find their quality a bit better than other cheaper brands. Think I got a bath mat and a tin of formula incase I couldn’t BF which I donated when I didn’t need it. My kids have never gone without and are just as happy as if I’d dropped 20000 on unnecessary shite.
It sounds ridiculous. She has two rocking chairs, one gifted… a snoo plus a crib, and a capsule!? It’s all so excessive. I thought she was financially savvy! It’s all such wasteful spending when she freely admits she didn’t need to. She’s basically done everything you do not need to do with a newborn. You need a brand new car seat and that’s about it. Everything else you can get second hand or for a lot cheaper. She bulk bought newborn nappies lol.
The fact she could’ve mentioned - you can rent a capsule for 6 months, you do not need to drop $2k on a pram ffs. You need a firm mattress. Half formula feeding and half breast feeding - as well as pumping! It’s just insane. She’s over complicated it to the extreme. I hope no one listening thinks they need to spend that much.

Reactions: 11
I used to listen to her podcast religiously at the start. I liked that educated about money values. These days it seems her values are buying a lot of expensive crap, which is great if you can afford it but I agree that she needs to reevaluate her target audience.

Reactions: 15
She is delulu with her baby stuff / sure a matching nursery set might be nice but it’s not necessary.
Things that are necessary are somewhere safe to sleep (cot for example) car seat if you drive and possibly a decent pram (doesn’t have to be over $1k though)
The best thing about Facebook is market place and the invention of all these second hand groups I sold my kids pram on there because they used it for like 3 years and these days people keep things clean the purchase receipts etc
Like having a baby is no where near as expensive as she makes it sound and she is just contributing to that “mum shame” her kid wears new designer while some mums rely on the bags of clothes mums bundle up and give away when their kid grows out a size - it would have been nice to see her be savvy even if she wanted designer clothes use the BSS pages etc

if you go private then yeh it’s a bit more but it’s a choice and if you can’t afford it the public system is typically pretty good also

makes me furious she is unrelatablw

It sounds ridiculous. She has two rocking chairs, one gifted… a snoo plus a crib, and a capsule!? It’s all so excessive. I thought she was financially savvy! It’s all such wasteful spending when she freely admits she didn’t need to. She’s basically done everything you do not need to do with a newborn. You need a brand new car seat and that’s about it. Everything else you can get second hand or for a lot cheaper. She bulk bought newborn nappies lol.
The fact she could’ve mentioned - you can rent a capsule for 6 months, you do not need to drop $2k on a pram ffs. You need a firm mattress. Half formula feeding and half breast feeding - as well as pumping! It’s just insane. She’s over complicated it to the extreme. I hope no one listening thinks they need to spend that much.
Totally agree with the overspending and unnecessary items but it’s a bit unfair to call out the feeding. I had a lot of struggles breastfeeding and I also did a mix of breastfeed / pumping / top ups. It was hell and I got no rest but I was trying to do the best for my baby. It is really hard when you struggle to feed and you feel like you have failed.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Totally agree with the overspending and unnecessary items but it’s a bit unfair to call out the feeding. I had a lot of struggles breastfeeding and I also did a mix of breastfeed / pumping / top ups. It was hell and I got no rest but I was trying to do the best for my baby. It is really hard when you struggle to feed and you feel like you have failed.
Not my intention - I just meant moreso the fact she's spent so much on top of the range pump, and steriliser. It sounded very much like 'oh you should or consider spending so much or this is what it costs to feed a baby' which was excessive. I think she's also not been transparent about how time consuming and difficult it is to go down this route. @Blondie000, you did not fail! No one talks about how mentally difficult it is... the emphasis on products and consumption as opposed to proper feeding education and support would've helped. I know she's a money focused podcast but it was really jarring to listen to.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Not my intention - I just meant moreso the fact she's spent so much on top of the range pump, and steriliser. It sounded very much like 'oh you should or consider spending so much or this is what it costs to feed a baby' which was excessive. I think she's also not been transparent about how time consuming and difficult it is to go down this route. @Blondie000, you did not fail! No one talks about how mentally difficult it is... the emphasis on products and consumption as opposed to proper feeding education and support would've helped. I know she's a money focused podcast but it was really jarring to listen to.
Great explanation! 100% agree. I spent so much money on pumps/bottles/supplies that were not needed. Most likely ‘influenced’ from what I saw online without knowing anything else as a first time mum

• Heart
The public system here is SO much better than UK. Insane. I had a private room for both kids, partner could sleep over (we live remote) and they kept me in for 3 days to make sure both kids were good before going home. Not sure why anyone goes private unless complicated and you have money to spare.

No shade to those who bottle feed and much love to Anyone who wanted to breastfeed and for whatever reason couldn’t. The decking cost of powdered milk is an additional kick in the guts no one needs. Should be on script for minimal cost.

The public system here is SO much better than UK. Insane. I had a private room for both kids, partner could sleep over (we live remote) and they kept me in for 3 days to make sure both kids were good before going home. Not sure why anyone goes private unless complicated and you have money to spare.

No shade to those who bottle feed and much love to Anyone who wanted to breastfeed and for whatever reason couldn’t. The decking cost of powdered milk is an additional kick in the guts no one needs. Should be on script for minimal cost.
I know this isn't really relevant but often the more complicated births will happen in a public hospital where there's a NICU or ICU. The true benefit of going private imo is more scans.

Reactions: 4
I know this isn't really relevant but often the more complicated births will happen in a public hospital where there's a NICU or ICU. The true benefit of going private imo is more scans.
Yea private hospital will throw anything that is truly complicated back into the public system because they can’t and don’t want to handle it. Private is just for bells and whistles.

Reactions: 10

This isn't the case at all public hospitals. None of the public hospitals in my area allow for partners to stay over and I've not heard of any public hospitals in Melbourne who allow this (happy to be corrected). Also you're unlikely to get a private room in a public hospital in Melbourne. Even private patients who go public aren't guaranteed a private room. Most of the time you're in a room with 4 other mums and their babies. I know people who've had emergency c sections and still have had to share a room. Given you're remote I would say that's why you had this privilege.
---
I went private and didn't get any additional scans. People chose to go private so they can chose their obstetrician who looks after them for the duration of their pregnancy and labour. You are able to call at any time if you have any concerns or questions and they know you and your history well. In public you call maternity and speak to a midwife who may not know you or your history etc. My friend had to go to maternity to get additional tests as they were concerned about pre-eclamlsia and she had to wait three hours. In private you'd be seen and tested straight away.

Last edited:
This isn't the case at all public hospitals. None of the public hospitals in my area allow for partners to stay over and I've not heard of any public hospitals in Melbourne who allow this (happy to be corrected). Also you're unlikely to get a private room in a public hospital in Melbourne. Even private patients who go public aren't guaranteed a private room. Most of the time you're in a room with 4 other mums and their babies. I know people who've had emergency c sections and still have had to share a room. Given you're remote I would say that's why you had this privilege.
---

I went private and didn't get any additional scans. People chose to go private so they can chose their obstetrician who looks after them for the duration of their pregnancy and labour. You are able to call at any time if you have any concerns or questions and they know you and your history well. In public you call maternity and speak to a midwife who may not know you or your history etc. My friend had to go to maternity to get additional tests as they were concerned about pre-eclamlsia and she had to wait three hours. In private you'd be seen and tested straight away.
Not to brag, but I was public and had a full blown anxiety attack at my first appointment 🤩, was immediately transferred to the care of the same obstetrician throughout the entire pregnancy, had a planned c section and only shared a room with one other woman (who was a total legend.)
(Obvs I had extremely poor mental health, but it’s more to say that there are varying circumstances to the experience in either system and the care you receive would largely depend on where you live tbh.)
Anywho back to the topic at hand

• Heart
Reactions: 6