ASD Toddlers

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah yes, our nursery has been really helpful too. I would definately go to the GP and ask for a referral, or the HV. Glad he has improved, mine has too since the HV check, but he’s still far from what he should on the questionnaire so I will still push for a referral seeing as the waiting lists are so long x
My HV has been shocking. I know they are busy but she just palmed me off saying he needs more time. When I told her about the docs referral she said they can’t actually do it. So who does then?? Apps were Always over the phone. And she said they are taking a step back cos nursery have got things in place already 🤔

My HV has been shocking. I know they are busy but she just palmed me off saying he needs more time. When I told her about the docs referral she said they can’t actually do it. So who does then?? Apps were Always over the phone. And she said they are taking a step back cos nursery have got things in place already 🤔
I think (I’m not 100%) but if you got portage, they can do the referral. But because you aren’t entitled I would def call your GP. They can tell you what’s right xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
My HV, local children’s centre and nursery deputy manager all made my sons referrals to a paediatrician, we got referred back in July and he had his appointment back last month and officially got put on the ASD pathway and we are awaiting his referrals. I had to push and push for help, I had all professionals harassed because I knew my child needed the help. You can also request a new HV, I did because she tried to tell me my child’s traits didn’t matter just because he liked all food and not just beige food 😩 my gp couldn’t put any referrals in until paediatrician had sent over the letters from our meeting but my best advice is don’t give up, let them know your fighting for your child and bring it up as much as you can whether that’s requesting meeting with nursery or HV’s constantly, we see our HV every 3 months and she is amazing since we asked for a swap.

Reactions: 2
My HV, local children’s centre and nursery deputy manager all made my sons referrals to a paediatrician, we got referred back in July and he had his appointment back last month and officially got put on the ASD pathway and we are awaiting his referrals. I had to push and push for help, I had all professionals harassed because I knew my child needed the help. You can also request a new HV, I did because she tried to tell me my child’s traits didn’t matter just because he liked all food and not just beige food 😩 my gp couldn’t put any referrals in until paediatrician had sent over the letters from our meeting but my best advice is don’t give up, let them know your fighting for your child and bring it up as much as you can whether that’s requesting meeting with nursery or HV’s constantly, we see our HV every 3 months and she is amazing since we asked for a swap.
So glad you’re getting the help now you need. Regarding the food, this is ridiculous. My son literally eats everything you put infront of him, he is an amazing sleeper and has no problems at all with transition. But he lacks eye contact, can’t follow instructions and doesn’t respond to his name much. Luckily the HV that did his review says she believes her son is autistic and was missed as a child but now she feels that they don’t need a diagnosis, as they manage ok. So I think that’s why she understood our concerns. The waiting list times are just horrendous. Xx

Thankyou for your message. In six weeks we found out the decision for EHCP. It’s not good just everyone has to fight for their child. It’s their future and needs were fighting for. I’m on leave for the next 12 days after tomorrow so I’ll be making some calls

Thankyou for your message. In six weeks we found out the decision for EHCP. It’s not good just everyone has to fight for their child. It’s their future and needs were fighting for. I’m on leave for the next 12 days after tomorrow so I’ll be making some calls
Hiya, just wondering how you are getting on? Did you manage to get the Gp to make a referral? X

Has anyone had a new baby and their ASD toddler has taken no notice of them, like the baby doesn’t exist? I thought it might be because it’s all new to them but baby is 3 months old now and still no notice. I know it’s not the end of the world on the grand scheme of things but it makes me said I don’t have any pictures of them close together.

Has anyone had a new baby and their ASD toddler has taken no notice of them, like the baby doesn’t exist? I thought it might be because it’s all new to them but baby is 3 months old now and still no notice. I know it’s not the end of the world on the grand scheme of things but it makes me said I don’t have any pictures of them close together.
My oldest daughter who is very autistic felt jealous when her younger sister was born - 2 years between them. If I was feeding the baby, she would say ‘off’ and sometimes hit her 🙈 it was the only time she spoke tbh!

• Sad
My little boy was 2 when his sister was born and he didn’t really warm to her for a good 5/6 months, definitely more when she got out of the newborn stage and he clearly found her abit more entertaining 😂🙈

My oldest daughter who is very autistic felt jealous when her younger sister was born - 2 years between them. If I was feeding the baby, she would say ‘off’ and sometimes hit her 🙈 it was the only time she spoke tbh!
Oh really exactly same age gap as mine, can I please ask what they’re like together now?

Hi 😊 My son was 2 years and 3 months when my baby was born, in November. He didn’t notice him at all really. We didn’t push him either. When baby cried, he got upset but that’s calmed now. He used to hit him when he cried. Now my baby is nearly 5 months old and he’s only just coming round now. Will stroke his head, lean in for a kiss and say ‘milk’ sometimes when he cries. I still haven’t got a photo of them together though, my eldest doesn’t sit still for long enough xx

My daughter (non SEN) was 14 months old when my son was born, she mostly ignored him until he was about six months old and then she started to take more interest. They’re now 5.5 and 4, they’re very close!

I’ve always felt my son was different, but nursery have now requested an “early support referral” as they feel he needs some help with his social and emotional development and maturity. I’ve never heard of this referral! Anyone know who or what they could be asking for? Or what I should expect? I’ve got so many questions when nursery reopens next week.

My daughter (non SEN) was 14 months old when my son was born, she mostly ignored him until he was about six months old and then she started to take more interest. They’re now 5.5 and 4, they’re very close!

I’ve always felt my son was different, but nursery have now requested an “early support referral” as they feel he needs some help with his social and emotional development and maturity. I’ve never heard of this referral! Anyone know who or what they could be asking for? Or what I should expect? I’ve got so many questions when nursery reopens next week.
I think that’s just another term for early intervention. So it may be a team of professionals like paediatricians, health visitor, speech and language therapists/occupational therapists etc. My two sons had this - they’re both autistic.

Maybe something called portage to help with certain skills. I had to fill out a social and emotional questionnaire before my son was referred for ASD assessment

Does anyone ever look at friends toddlers who are ‘developing typically’ and get sad/jealous at what life could have been like for themselves if their child didn’t have ASD?
I feel so bad when I do this but I can’t stop and want to stop, I know it doesn’t change anything and I know ‘comparison is the thief of joy’ but it doesn’t stop me getting sad.
We’re not long into the journey of getting a diagnosis so hoping I’m just going through the motions and these feelings will be temporary, would help if I had other friends who had ASD children.

• Heart
Does anyone ever look at friends toddlers who are ‘developing typically’ and get sad/jealous at what life could have been like for themselves if their child didn’t have ASD?
I feel so bad when I do this but I can’t stop and want to stop, I know it doesn’t change anything and I know ‘comparison is the thief of joy’ but it doesn’t stop me getting sad.
We’re not long into the journey of getting a diagnosis so hoping I’m just going through the motions and these feelings will be temporary, would help if I had other friends who had ASD children.
Both my sons are autistic. They’re 5 & 7 (soon to be 6 & 8) now and I definitely got those feelings when they were first on the pathway to diagnosis as toddlers when it was all so new and scary. Our eldest was diagnosed at 3 but we suspected from around 15 months, and then going through it all again with his brother was very soul destroying at times. I still have the odd pangs of jealousy now and again, usually when we’re going through the motions or having a particularly difficult period, but it’s becoming less so as they grow older. It’s ok to feel that way, you’re grieving a child and journey that you thought you’d have and that’s very normal, it will get easier with time and the more you learn about ASD. It doesn’t mean you love your child any less x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yes , all of the time. My son was an ivf pregnancy and I made friends with two other girls who were also ivf and due same around time as me. We talk daily and they say everything what their sons are up to. Altho my son is clever in his own right, our feelings are completely valid. I worry more about the future than anything else.
One good thing is that we’re getting the support early, my friends just look at me gone out when I say about my boy, or they’ll say he’ll catch up. Which I’m sure he will, but 🤷‍♀️ .
Don’t feel bad, use this thread if you need a chat. We are early doors for our boy, he only got referred to community peads last month. Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
What is it specifically if any ?
All kids are different and yours will be able to do things theirs can’t as well it works both ways! Don’t be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you want what’s best for your child.