Are you a crier?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not a confrontational person so on the rare occasion, I do get into an argument or feel so strongly about something, where I feel the need to stand my ground, I cry. It frustrates me bc I'm not crying cus I'm sad, I'm crying because I'm angry and my point isn't coming across well. In my adult life, I have only cried once in a really heated argument and it wasn't even small tears, it was like a waterfall. They would not stop. Usually, I walk away before I feel the need to cry.

However, on my lonesome, I cry at everything. Adverts, sad posts on here, tiktoks, etc.
If I saw those same things with other people around, I would not cry. I find crying very awkward and uncomfortable around others and I hate doing it. I hate the sympathy, the attention and the usual mollycoddling or prying. Becoming a teacher has made me cry way more than I would like. I wish I could DO more for some kids.

Reactions: 2
I don’t ever really remember crying much growing up, I don’t think I ever showed that much emotion.
The memories that stick with me crying is when I went to work as normal and just sat there at my desk starting my work. I felt like everyone’s eyes were on me as I tried to hide the blood on my head but I just burst in to tears.
I think crying then was like a release after years of hiding dv. After that moment I cried at a lot of things.
And I remember crying at my grandparents funeral I think it’s harder when you see your own parents cry.
I did cry happy tears at Christmas when my boyfriend proposed although I’m sure he thought there was something wrong with me.. I was totally took by surprise!

Yes I cry, but there is usually a good reason for it. Today I returned to the care home I have been working in for a few months. There has been a serious outbreak of Covid in the home, we have lost a significant number of residents to Covid-19.
I found out that another resident had died this morning, she was not in the best of health, but I felt sad about it. In the afternoon, the entire staff formed a guard of honour, whislt the resident was taken away. A song from a famous musucal was played, as she left the building. It was all very emotional, I began to cry. It is something I don't think I will ever forget.
An update on the situation. Not every resident that had Covid has died, some of them recovered from the virus - including a marvelous Gentleman who is over 100 years old. It has been an unforgettable experience working at the home, under these conditions.

100%. I hate arguing and I just end up crying!

I cried driving past a funeral convoy today because it just made me so emotional.

I've always felt awkward at sad parts in movies when anyone is present with me. But alone? I really let myself go. And I'm like a big baby.

I do have meltdowns though which are quite shameless. The most smallest things which manifest in tears, but it is panic for me. My family, friends and all the partners I have had over the years all have their own little nickname for it.

I used to feel really uncomfortable around people who cried, especially as a teen. I would often stand at a distance and wait for someone else to tend. Looking back, it was definitely a lack of people skills, for me anyway. Nowadays I'm first to tend to a crier, my sad life experiences make it very difficult not to want to comfort another.

Ahh it's Saturday and time for my weekly sob at The Voice. Someone else said earlier that it's the emotion of watching someone do their best that gets them. There is definitely a bit of that for me. Along with some happy crying. Also lots of music makes me cry these days. It can be a run of a few notes that does it and suddenly I'm all welled up. It started after an illness a few years ago. It's like my brain has a wonky reaction to it.

I'm not a huge crier. I def get emotional at sad movies etc so I tend to avoid them.
However, just watching Independence Day on telly earlier and I was quite emotional at Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith only just escaping the Mother Ship at the last second, and then I was quietly blubbing at crazy Russell Casse sacrificing himself by flying into the mother ship to blow it up.:cry: I've seen that movie at least 4 times (bloody kids) and never had that reaction before.
I honestly think it's a covid/lockdown thing. It's playing havoc with our emotions.

I cry all the time.

I cry in public and private. I can't control it. I'm just a very sensitive person.

Reactions: 1
I've always felt awkward at sad parts in movies when anyone is present with me. But alone? I really let myself go. And I'm like a big baby.

I do have meltdowns though which are quite shameless. The most smallest things which manifest in tears, but it is panic for me. My family, friends and all the partners I have had over the years all have their own little nickname for it.

I used to feel really uncomfortable around people who cried, especially as a teen. I would often stand at a distance and wait for someone else to tend. Looking back, it was definitely a lack of people skills, for me anyway. Nowadays I'm first to tend to a crier, my sad life experiences make it very difficult not to want to comfort another.
Sometimes when I feel upset enough to cry ,I don't because I'm not alone. I wouldn't want to be comforted, I'd want to release it all.

Maybe one of the reasons I don't cry is because I don't get the privacy to do so.

Sometimes when I feel upset enough to cry ,I don't because I'm not alone. I wouldn't want to be comforted, I'd want to release it all.

Maybe one of the reasons I don't cry is because I don't get the privacy to do so.
The first comment is a really healthy attitude.

I've been on several rehab, self improvement courses and ex addict mentoring which advise we aren't allowed to "rescue" another's sadness. It is often given the nature for what the courses entail for people to get emotional and as hard as it is we must allow them space to let it out.

I rarely cry - I sometimes wish I cried more. I frequently get the feeling like I want to or I should to get the release but no tears actually follow.

The last time I cried was at the doctors around June 2019 when my back was on absolute fire (not literally obviously but I was in so SO much pain and I'm a carer for my mum so not being able to move at the end of the day without being in agony when I have to move her is awful and also dangerous because it took my strength with the pain. He essentially said 'nothing I can do about it. You won't change your lifestyle so it won't change anything' like I could stop being a carer just like that.

I literally broke down in tears and he reluctantly gave me a months (only a months - he never did anymore) worth of pain and said he'd refer me to physio which he did.... with the wrong body part to focus on - and physio wouldn't do the part that needed help because he hadn't put that bit on the referral so I just stopped both and didn't go to the doctors again about it or anything else as it was pointless. (he also has a history of ranting and raving at you that 'people just want tablets! they won't do anything to help themselves! They just come to me for medicine!' so it was pointless)

(Thankfully this past year they've gotten a locum in for Fridays and in October 2020 I got an appointment to see him and he gave me a suggested diagnosis of 3 layers of strained muscles both side of my spine and potentially 2 slipped disks, gave me 3 lots of pain that he put on repeat) and refered me for an MRI just like that - though obv it's delayed cos of Covid but the pain helping so much!) the relief that someone was listening was instant!

Other than that time... I genuinley can't remember the last time I cried. It must have been years.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Trigger warning, family domestic abuse:
I’ve always been told I’m way too “sentimental” or even “emotional” at my age and would “cry” over anything but where I’m standing, I’m very rarely crying because I’m holding it in and don’t want be seen as a “problem” or a “disturbance”. I was raised in a home, that if I ever cried, my father would immediately become mentally abusive towards me. “Why are you crying now?!”, “you worthless attention seeking cow! Stop whinging!” Or the usual “you’re too old to be crying over this or that, grow up!” By his sisters (my aunts) whenever they used to visit. My childhood was not normal. My father was extremely abusive towards my siblings and mother, they got the physical brunt of it too, I wasn’t physically harmed because all he wanted was a “girl” and when he said that to me, I’ve had hidden guilt since. “Why did he hurt the people I love and not me?” I know I shouldn’t be thinking this way but it’s something I can’t control. My mental health is excruciatingly poor and it’s getting worse but I keep it in because it’s that petrifying feeling that I’ve always had about opening up and then someone (other than my father; doesn’t matter who) would be very judgemental towards me. I’m used to not opening up about it. Hence, whenever I cry, it’s over the weirdest of things now. Being a crier, in my opinion, isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s actually a sign of being emotionally strong, that you’re not bottling it up and you’re actually brave for crying and most importantly, opening up as to why you’re crying. Everyone is different though, so this is just my opinion. I’m sorry if my post offends, don’t really have anyone to open up to about my mental health at this moment but this is my experience on crying and trying get emotions out and why I bottle all the crying up. I do intend to hurt or upset any fellow tattlers with post❤

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I'm a massive crier. Never used to be before having kids. I don't mind too much until it comes to thing like the kids school plays and I'm sat there sobbing over someone else's kid😂

• Haha
I had a pretty tough childhood living in Bloemfontein, South Africa in the 90s. It was only a few years after the end of Apartheid and the release from prison of Nelson Mandela. White kids, myself and my sister included, became targets of abuse and bullying from other kids at my school and neigbourhood. And as a consequence I would often go home crying my eyes out!

But I think that toughened me over the years, and since coming to England I don't cry quite so much over things. I will get quite emotional at times, or sometimes resort to anger via frustration. But the only times I cry now is during the cold dark winter months (I suffer from SAD), and the depression that lingers during that time, especially these last few months during lockdown and being away from my g/f.

Apart from that, I am fairly resilient to a good old blub, even though inwardly I am emotionally upset. (Having said that I also cry when I see animal cruelty, or pets of friends having to be put to sleep:cry: )
... a surprising update that really goes against the grain of my original post here. But I don't think I have cried so much over the last 3 or 4 days compared to the last time I had a good cry years ago!

I don't even know why I am triggered into crying so much as of late, but I've been told it might be a Black Dog Thing, where according to the Cambridge Online Dictionary, is a form of depression, of sadness and lack of energy or enthusiasm

I really shouldn't be quite so negative and sad given my relatively comfortable lifestyle. But at the moment I find myself in a bit of a rut that I can't quite dig myself out of

I had a pretty tough childhood living in Bloemfontein, South Africa in the 90s. It was only a few years after the end of Apartheid and the release from prison of Nelson Mandela. White kids, myself and my sister included, became targets of abuse and bullying from other kids at my school and neigbourhood. And as a consequence I would often go home crying my eyes out!

But I think that toughened me over the years, and since coming to England I don't cry quite so much over things. I will get quite emotional at times, or sometimes resort to anger via frustration. But the only times I cry now is during the cold dark winter months (I suffer from SAD), and the depression that lingers during that time, especially these last few months during lockdown and being away from my g/f.

Apart from that, I am fairly resilient to a good old blub, even though inwardly I am emotionally upset. (Having said that I also cry when I see animal cruelty, or pets of friends having to be put to sleep:cry: )
I have family in East London ( eastern cape ) Williamstown , Guateng , Cape Town and I think Jo’berg
They visited early 90’s and the abuse they receive in SA is absolutely horrific , they own farmland They told stories of carjacking , they just won’t nick your car they’ll shoot you first then nick your car
I find my cousins are , I don’t want to say racist , but there is a * divide * that they’ll deny but I think is apparent if not resentment
The rellies always wore shorts which I found interesting, in Britain , in early spring , in shorts 😂.
I didn’t know my grandmother had a South African accent until my husband pointed it out in 1997 , I never heard any different, she came over during WW2
I miss my Nan 😞😞

• Wow
I have family in East London ( eastern cape ) Williamstown , Guateng , Cape Town and I think Jo’berg
They visited early 90’s and the abuse they receive in SA is absolutely horrific , they own farmland They told stories of carjacking , they just won’t nick your car they’ll shoot you first then nick your car
I find my cousins are , I don’t want to say racist , but there is a * divide * that they’ll deny but I think is apparent if not resentment
The rellies always wore shorts which I found interesting, in Britain , in early spring , in shorts 😂.
I didn’t know my grandmother had a South African accent until my husband pointed it out in 1997 , I never heard any different, she came over during WW2
I miss my Nan 😞😞
I went back to J'burg to spend December & Christmas with my parents. I also visited Bloemfontein and a few other old haunts. As far as I could tell things have improved in terms of race relations. Not perfect by a long way, but certainly better than what I remembered and went through back in the 90s/00s

• Heart
I cry at the drop of a hat, mostly watching sad movies or animal docs. I sometime sob when I get told off or get stressed out at work

I never cry, the last time I cried was 6 years ago and that was after drinking too much. So now I’ll never have rosé because of it - daft I know. I’ve actually started to worry about it now as I think I’m void of all emotion. I’ve never been expressive in any form but, now I’m older it’s coming to my attention more. If something sad happens and everyone cries I just stand there and don’t know how to hold myself! I’m not a cold person and everyone says I’m strong but, I feel like I don’t have anything inside me!

Just wondered if anyone was the same!

I didn't used to be but I am now. I think as I've gotten older I've got a better handle on my emotions and when it's okay to cry and when not to. If I just ride out the sadness when it strikes me then I'm alright afterwards. If I bottle it up then it all explodes.

I am useless in confrontations and quickly get frustrated which leads to crying in those situations.

Not usually, but I saw a daggy American made ad on Youtube recently featuring a young soldier meeting a Vietnam veteran at McDonalds and gave him his thanks for his service. Even though I'm leery of overly sentimental stuff at the best of times, I was actually sobbing !!