Are you a crier?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m a crier. I can cry at anything. Like the OP I remember my eyes welling up in school when I didn’t understand anything. The worst is if I feel awkward at something social I can feel my eyes welling up. I hate it. It really doesn’t take much to set me off.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I cry all the time literally, everybody at something. Advert, memory..low mood its actually embarrassing

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I get emotional quite easily but I’m very private when it comes to actually crying. My husband has only seen me cry a couple of times. I’ll hold it in until I’m on my own, and then I’ll cry my little heart out.

I remember being told “stop crying” a lot as a child, because I was very sensitive and shy, so I think that’s why. I feel at my most vulnerable when I cry in front of someone else. I don’t mind other people’s tears though, and I’m usually very supportive and ready to comfort them if I can (helps a lot in work when our residents get upset). I’d never tell anyone to stop crying, I think it makes you feel better to have a good cry.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Oh god yes. I cry when I'm sad, embarrassed, happy, angry etc. I hate the fact I cry when I'm angry because it just makes me look like I'm upset as opposed to pissed off.

• Heart
i have never been a crier when it comes to actual life
but show me a good movie or an animal video - i'm weeping
take me to a funeral - nope, nothing 😂

I’m a crier. Cry everyday for all sorts of reasons. Happy, sad, angry, frustrated, hungry, bored.

If I had to list an honest hobby or skill I’d go for crying! I can make myself cry at will too because it’s so close to the surface - handy in certain situations. When I was younger I’d cry so much I’d black out, luckily that doesn’t happen anymore.

• Wow
  • Sad
I’m a crier. Cry everyday for all sorts of reasons. Happy, sad, angry, frustrated, hungry, bored.

If I had to list an honest hobby or skill I’d go for crying! I can make myself cry at will too because it’s so close to the surface - handy in certain situations. When I was younger I’d cry so much I’d black out, luckily that doesn’t happen anymore.
Did you have breath holding spells as a child? My youngest has those, though much less frequently now, he’s done it since he was a baby and is definitely a crier. He would cry so hard then hold his breath sometimes to the point where he’d turn blue and pass out. It’s scary.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Did you have breath holding spells as a child? My youngest has those, though much less frequently now, he’s done it since he was a baby and is definitely a crier. He would cry so hard then hold his breath sometimes to the point where he’d turn blue and pass out. It’s scary.
oh gosh I can’t imagine how scary that is for you (and your little one!). Virtual hugs and as you said, he’s growing out of the habit it seems. It’s tough being little and having big feelings and not enough words.

I didn’t hold my breath, just a lot of crying in the corner of a room by myself. Wow that sounds fun!!! I had a good childhood but I had/have mental health issues. luckily I was diagnosed quite young and got a lot of help (and please, not trying to make you worry about your little one. There were many obvious signs that I was “different”. Crying was not a symptom). The blacking out was linked to panic attacks - just a lack of oxygen cos I’d been trying to catch my breath I guess. I’m better at recognising my limits and controlling myself and more importantly my surroundings. When I become lightheaded I know I need to get my crap together or at least sit down.

My boundaries are many but it keeps me safe and happy. I’m the absolute queen of saying “no”. I believe no is a complete sentence and I don’t follow it up with reasons unless there’s a need for one. If I don’t want to go to your party what does it matter why? “I’m not going, don’t save me a seat, thanks so much for inviting me and speak to you later.”

My parents and brother aren’t criers. I saw my dad get teary once when my brother crashed his brand new car. I had to break the news to my mum that her mum (my gran) died and her eyes got a bit wet.

Not surprisingly now I want a good cry!!! Partly thinking of little me but also some happy tears. I’m thriving, even with the crying.

I see tears as seasoning to my life! And not just salty.

• Heart
I've cried on my own but never in front of anyone. My H has only seen my cry during childbirth but that was tears of pain and once when I got a bad tooth infection.

Off the back of the “What’s pissed you off today?” thread, and my own upset over something very very small...

I’m definitely a crier and I’m easily triggered during arguments with my partner (especially if in front of someone else), sad songs or through frustration.

When it comes to arguments, I’m by no means pulling my hair out and jumping up and down. I don’t raise my voice either, but it seems that I appear indifferent to the dilemma at first, this frustrates my partner who I think the aim is to drive my wrongness home, then next I’m a sniffling wreck that needs some fresh air.

I remember holding my tears in during a language lesson with my tutor because I just wasn’t understanding the prepositional grammar one evening.

Even as a child, I would sometimes count up the consecutive days that I didn’t cry. I think around four days of non-crying was my personal best.

Also my teacher saying to me “now you’re not going to cry now?” when there wasn’t a chair for me in the canteen. I remember feeling really proud that time that I didn’t cry.

I wanna ask if there are any criers on this board?
Omg I’m such a wet wipe! Always have been. I’d like to think I don’t cry as easily now but it always depends on my hormones.

I actually only cry at happy and moving things. I don't cry for myself really and I don't cry at sad things. It has to be really sad for me to cry about it.

Happy and nice stuff I do cry at though. I cry every time someone gets the golden buzzer on BGT!

ETA: I never cry in front of people and I can be pretty cut off with my emotions. I think it's from my childhood. I'm also quite a positive person in general. I also just don't see the point of crying. It has to be really bad for me to cry cause I don't feel like it solves anything 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I met some South African’s who moved here and the stories they’ve told me since the handover are very scary. I’ve no doubt that you are a resilient person.

I recently took a stray cat to the vet to then be put to sleep, won’t go into detail but euthanasia was the kindest option at this stage. I remember the veterinary assistant giving me tissues upon tissues as I couldn’t stop crying as I stayed with her until the end.

But I think the above is a valid reason to get teary. Crying because the taxi app map showed the taxi at the wrong end of town and had me running down one street then back up another to actually catch it, not so much.
It was quite horrific to be honest, with people being kidnapped, tortured, raped, and then killed (usually by having a car tyre dropped round their necks, and then coated in petrol and set alight!) I saw that twice during my childhood years, and still live with me in my nightmares today!

• Sad
I am a crier. The worst is crying during arguments because you start blubbering and the person just looks at you like 👁👄👁 and you’re crying too much to get your point across 😭 and then when you’ve calmed down later you think of everything you could have said...

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I’ve been a crier before, adverts, films the lot. I’m going through stuff at home just now and I really want a good cry but can’t manage it, feel like Cameron Diaz in The Holiday.

This is such an interesting thread! I think I have always been a crier, but privately, probably until I was mid 20s and more secure in myself no one outside my family would have seen me cry (apart from when I was a very young child) but now I don't care and have probably cried in front of all of my friends.
In the last few years I have also started crying at happy/nostalgic things, something I never understood when my mum (who is very much a crier) does when I was younger, it is especially bad when I have PMS and have to avoid reading/watching certain things on the tube etc to make sure I don't start crying on the way to work!

Reactions: 4
No, I’m not a crier. I find it really uncomfortable to be around people who are. Obviously if someone has been given bad news etc, that’s different, but people who cry at the drop of hat just make me cringe really

No, I’m not a crier. I find it really uncomfortable to be around people who are. Obviously if someone has been given bad news etc, that’s different, but people who cry at the drop of hat just make me cringe really
I find it difficult to deal with criers I don't know w well.... I have a colleague who constantly cries at work (stupid work related things) and I find it so awkward

I didn't want to be the one to say but I agree. It's not that I don't have empathy for people but sometimes people cry about things and I think why are you crying? There is nothing to be crying about? Especially when people cry about situations and you just think... the solution to that is actually really easy, there is 0 reason to be crying.

That said, I think sometimes you can just be overwhelmed with frustration or a bunch crappy things have happened in the lead up to you crying over something seemingly small so I try to be empathetic.

To those above who feel uncomfortable around it. Can you explain the uncomfortable?

Is it that you feel weirded-out or don’t think you know how to comfort or what to say to them?

Selfish, I know, but unless the crying is over something serious, I kind of feel slightly relieved when others start crying over trivial issues, like there’s more of my kind out there.

To those above who feel uncomfortable around it. Can you explain the uncomfortable?

Is it that you feel weirded-out or don’t think you know how to comfort or what to say to them?

Selfish, I know, but unless the crying is over something serious, I kind of feel slightly relieved when others start crying over trivial issues, like there’s more of my kind out there.
i just feel bad that i don't know how to help! i'm not good at comforting others 😢