Anti Conspiracy Theories #6 wakey, wakey!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Most of what I was talking about comes from Twitter and YouTube, especially those that were in reply to Andrew Bridgen's recent tweets, or videos about his comments.

The latter part sounds concerning as it's straying into paranoia territory.
Yes same I’m seeing large amounts of it on Twitter at the moment!

Reactions: 2
Seems we have touched a nerve on the other thread. I was actually referring to the extreme views held on twitter, but if the cap fits and all.
I'm afraid I also touched a nerve the other day, simply stating that my GP experiences were mostly positive and that they don't all push medication as the first recourse. My comment was in direct response to a poster stating that GPs were just pharmaceutical reps these days. I acknowledged that it can unfortunately come down to luck/postcode lottery in some cases, and people have had crappy experiences with their doctors, which is awful, but that I still felt the majority of doctors are bona fide and more than competent.

This led to quite a backlash, including another poster giving me feedback on the style and content of my posts (that they come across bitchy & snide, eg. me using a fire emoji & saying those of use not against the vaccines haven't gone away).
I didn't mind so much that poster giving her feedback - I do get frustrated when I see reposts of tweets from Bridgen, Hopkins, Malhotra, Farage, Oliver or other covid vaccine misinformation pushers, and this exasperation comes across sometimes in my replies. But I've never belittled other posters' personal experiences of covid vaccine effects, as was suggested.

I am though astonished at the seeming lack of awareness of how (some) posters on the vaccine thread interact with others not chiming with their world view. Derogatory, dismissive, eye-rolling/shrugging emojis, the lot, seemingly with no awareness re: the comments about my posts. One rule for them and one for the rest? The irony is I usually think carefully before posting anything to check it doesn't come across as too negative. 🙁

True, each of us can post whatever we like, in whatever tone we wish. But this doesn't necessarily mean we should... x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
@OwlAtTheMoon - It sounds like they could use some of their own advice. ;)

But to be honest, it's not worth it. I avoid that place now, as no deviation from the anti vaccine viewpoint is tolerated and because they're in the majority, you just get ganged up on.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm afraid I also touched a nerve the other day, simply stating that my GP experiences were mostly positive and that they don't all push medication as the first recourse. My comment was in direct response to a poster stating that GPs were just pharmaceutical reps these days. I acknowledged that it can unfortunately come down to luck/postcode lottery in some cases, and people have had crappy experiences with their doctors, which is awful, but that I still felt the majority of doctors are bona fide and more than competent.

This led to quite a backlash, including another poster giving me feedback on the style and content of my posts (that they come across bitchy & snide, eg. me using a fire emoji & saying those of use not against the vaccines haven't gone away).
I didn't mind so much that poster giving her feedback - I do get frustrated when I see reposts of tweets from Bridgen, Hopkins, Malhotra, Farage, Oliver or other covid vaccine misinformation pushers, and this exasperation comes across sometimes in my replies. But I've never belittled other posters' personal experiences of covid vaccine effects, as was suggested.

I am though astonished at the seeming lack of awareness of how (some) posters on the vaccine thread interact with others not chiming with their world view. Derogatory, dismissive, eye-rolling/shrugging emojis, the lot, seemingly with no awareness re: the comments about my posts. One rule for them and one for the rest? The irony is I usually think carefully before posting anything to check it doesn't come across as too negative. 🙁

True, each of us can post whatever we like, in whatever tone we wish. But this doesn't necessarily mean we should... x
Haha I saw that.
Made me laugh tbh, when one of them came over to this thread and was posting last week, several people (myself included) engaged politely with them and had a perfectly civil discussion. I found it interesting to hear their side and see how they responded when I countered their arguments.
Meanwhile as soon as anyone goes over to the CT/anti-vax thread and disagrees with them, people start crying and telling each other to ignore the poster 💀.

Haha I saw that.
Made me laugh tbh, when one of them came over to this thread and was posting last week, several people (myself included) engaged politely with them and had a perfectly civil discussion. I found it interesting to hear their side and see how they responded when I countered their arguments.
Meanwhile as soon as anyone goes over to the CT/anti-vax thread and disagrees with them, people start crying and telling each other to ignore the poster 💀.
And what was your analysis of me 😂 what am I supposed to be part of here?

And what was your analysis of me 😂 what am I supposed to be part of here?
Literally just what I said there 🤣, I found the discussion we had very civil and I was interested in what you had to say. Nothing more to it, hopefully if others want to come here and have a nice calm debate without insults being thrown in the future then they can do!

Literally just what I said there 🤣, I found the discussion we had very civil and I was interested in what you had to say. Nothing more to it, hopefully if others want to come here and have a nice calm debate without insults being thrown in the future then they can do!
I never throw insults at anyone but I find it interesting we all have labels because we post on certain threads.

Was the vaccine really 'sold' to people as completely preventing COVID infections? I keep hearing about this online and in person and I never know what to say as I really don't remember it being that way at all
Absolutely it was, by many in fact. I seem to remember clearly ‘you are not going to get COVID if you take a vaccine’ quoted by Biden wasn’t it 🤔 Along with many others of influence and power!

Reactions: 1
Haha I saw that.
I don't understand why they can't just ignore the stuff that they don't agree with. I was on the other thread the other day and someone posted about how they feel bad cause they believe the MMR jab caused their son's autism.
As an autistic (and sensitive in fairness😂) person, I genuinely cried cause it bleeping hurt. But I just clicked off and decided it was my fault for going on there in the first place when I knew what I'd find. They are entitled to that opinion just as I am entitled to my hurt feelings and we will both go on about our lives in disagreeing bliss.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I don't understand why they can't just ignore the stuff that they don't agree with. I was on the other thread the other day and someone posted about how they feel bad cause they believe the MMR jab caused their son's autism.
As an autistic (and sensitive in fairness😂) person, I genuinely cried cause it bleeping hurt. But I just clicked off and decided it was my fault for going on there in the first place when I knew what I'd find. They are entitled to that opinion just as I am entitled to my hurt feelings and we will both go on about our lives in disagreeing bliss.
Isn’t it normal for some parents to question was it anything they did when their child is diagnosed with an illness/ condition.

Isn’t it normal for some parents to question was it anything they did when their child is diagnosed with an illness/ condition.
This is the best thing I have read. So you read my post about being really upset and choosing to ignore things, and still opted to engage.

In response to your post, I'm sure it is and I'm not going to act like autism is easy for the autistic person or the parents, however it's not a horrible tragedy either. Don't make out like you were robbed a wonderful child and got an autistic one instead (I'm not saying that's what this person in particular was doing, but their post rubbed me up the wrong way as I personally felt like that is what they were implying - like i said, it's a me problem which is why i choose to ignore it. It's not the first time I've had experiences like that and as an autistic person, it hurts to read it. There is nothing wrong with me. I just have a different brain that unfortunately isn't made for the modern world and struggles in it but I'm not just a struggle or a tragedy and I still have plenty to offer the world.)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
This is the best thing I have read. So you read my post about being really upset and choosing to ignore things, and still opted to engage.

In response to your post, I'm sure it is and I'm not going to act like autism is easy for the autistic person or the parents, however it's not a horrible tragedy either. Don't make out like you were robbed a wonderful child and got an autistic one instead (I'm not saying that's what this person in particular was doing, but their post rubbed me up the wrong way as I personally felt like that is what they were implying - like i said, it's a me problem which is why i choose to ignore it. It's not the first time I've had experiences like that and as an autistic person, it hurts to read it. There is nothing wrong with me. I just have a different brain that unfortunately isn't made for the modern world and struggles in it but I'm not just a struggle or a tragedy and I still have plenty to offer the world.)
your reaction is both understandable and justified - i’m sorry that you’ve had to explain yourself again 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 9

In response to your post, I'm sure it is and I'm not going to act like autism is easy for the autistic person or the parents, however it's not a horrible tragedy either. Don't make out like you were robbed a wonderful child and got an autistic one instead (I'm not saying that's what this person in particular was doing, but their post rubbed me up the wrong way as I personally felt like that is what they were implying - like i said, it's a me problem which is why i choose to disengage. It's not the first time I've had experiences like that and as an autistic person, it hurts to read it. There is nothing wrong with me. I just have a different brain that unfortunately isn't made for the modern world and struggles in it but I'm not just a struggle or a tragedy and I still have plenty to offer the world.)
I have a severely autistic nephew who is very loved ,maybe your post struck a chord because my sister found his diagnosis difficult and wondered was it something she’d done ( she had a previous pregnancy that didn’t end well before his birth) or could’ve done differently ,as her biggest fear is what happens to him if anything were to happen her or her husband ,I didn’t see the post you’re referring to so don’t know why the other person felt it was the MMR to blame.

• Heart

Well said tbf, I am also neurodivergent and the ‘vaccines cause autism’ myth has caused untold damage to the autistic community.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

That question was particularly thoughtless, especially after you'd already explained how upset the autism and mmr post made you feel. It's genuinely not worth getting upset about but that's easier said than done. 🙁❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
That question was particularly thoughtless, especially after you'd already explained how upset the autism and mmr post made you feel. It's genuinely not worth getting upset about but that's easier said than done. 🙁❤
I don’t think it was thoughtless when you’re judging other people, I wasn’t referencing the MMR post I was referencing my own family and how judging people can go both ways.

Well said tbf, I am also neurodivergent and the ‘vaccines cause autism’ myth has caused untold damage to the autistic community.
I can imagine. And it hasn’t even come from anything scientific. Andrew Wakefield has a lot to answer for.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.