Anti-Conspiracy Theories #5 We the Sheeple…

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes I think you raise a good point.

I notice a lot of them have a more right wing basis to their views and point to 'weak men' being responsible for society's ills. They also say none of that sort of thing happened back in the day. Whereas look as people like Quentin Crisp! I'm sure people back in the 60s/70s said he was evidence of weak men and how things were taking a nosedive back then, too.
Quentin Crisp had balls of steel, he stayed true to himself despite rampant homophobia, including several serious beatings.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I get that for many people eating insects or products made from insects is pretty yuk (cochineal anyone?) but why is it a conspiracy?
Yeah, I really don't get why the Q Anon types are trying to make "they will make you eat insects!" into a conspiracy thing. It makes no sense.

Reactions: 3
So let me see if I can get this right, I'm not sure I have all the details correct but then again it's a lot for sleepy Joe Public to deal with ...
  1. Eating insects is fine (if you want to) but
  2. eating insects is a product of 'their' desire to control the food supply, presumably insect farming is easier to control than
  3. regular farming although Dutch farmers are protesting over 'their' plan to impose controls on nitrogen and ammonia emissions
  4. which 'they' say 'they' are doing as part of efforts to combat climate change
  5. which is of course a hoax being promoted by the WEF to force
  6. the 'Great Reset' which is plot by the global elite to destroy capitalism and implement a one world government
Oh and Katie Hopkins is making a comeback

• Sick
Reactions: 7
I see twitter has already reached its own conclusion as to why that 37 year old cyclist died in his sleep.

• Sick
Regarding the Great Barrier Reef recovering well - surely if the scientists wanted to twist the facts in their favour this research would not have been published or reported on?

Peter Ridd seems to be getting some attention so it's not like the media is silencing him completely:

I've skim read it but this seems potentially interesting:

Regarding the Great Barrier Reef recovering well - surely if the scientists wanted to twist the facts in their favour this research would not have been published or reported on?

Peter Ridd seems to be getting some attention so it's not like the media is silencing him completely:
You are disputing the narrative, how dare you suggest he has not been silenced :eek:

As for the reports, my initial reaction was to wonder whether fast-growing stuff would be as good or long lasting as the older growth coral (my thinking that like with forests, the older growth and slower growing trees are better for the longer term future survival) and sure enough the rapid growth isn't expected to be as resilient.
(c.f. hardwood roof timbers vs collapsible ;) shelving)

Though I can see why the reluctance to have it declared as heritage site in need of protection, people don't want to watch the reef from behind a cordon 20 miles away.

Reactions: 4
As for the reports, my initial reaction was to wonder whether fast-growing stuff would be as good or long lasting as the older growth coral (my thinking that like with forests, the older growth and slower growing trees are better for the longer term future survival) and sure enough the rapid growth isn't expected to be as resilient.
Bleached coral can recover, but the reef may be weakened and more susceptible to damage and disease.
There seems to be some research into reef recovery so it's not a banned subject either - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...efs-thriving-conservation-environment-science

I also read through the Spectator article and while it does have a clear opinion I think the end stuff about the way the study is conducted is interesting - the other stuff I read didn't really discuss it at all. I also really enjoyed that the bit where they dropped in that the very untrustworthy intern would be a female

Reactions: 2

There seems to be some research into reef recovery so it's not a banned subject either - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...efs-thriving-conservation-environment-science

I also read through the Spectator article and while it does have a clear opinion I think the end stuff about the way the study is conducted is interesting - the other stuff I read didn't really discuss it at all. I also really enjoyed that the bit where they dropped in that the very untrustworthy intern would be a female
I think it's easy to forget the scale of the thing - I'm not sure if it crosses any climate banding but if it was turned sideways, one end would be in a different time zone from the other.

Bigger than Italy, twice the length of Britain (etc), a lot of us (including me) will often think of it as a single limited area, not the vast thing that it is and that leads us to assumptions and I'm thankful I have one of those big papery atlassy things to remind me.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I see twitter has already reached its own conclusion as to why that 37 year old cyclist died in his sleep.
As soon as I heard that news, I knew that's what they'd be saying.

But I haven't opened Twitter, the vaccine thread here, or any others along those lines as it's all just so repetitive and dull now. It's actually quite refreshing not to read it all. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Twin towers confirmed as brought down by controlled demolition:

Oh sorry did you think I meant somewhere else 😇

I seem to recall a wise man* once remarked that 'assumption' makes an ass out of u and umption :cool:

Etc, don't blame me, I didn't write the headline...

* Samuel L. Jackson as Frank (or he might have been Ernest**) in The Long Miss Goodnight, it's quite possibly the only movie quote of his with no rude words in it

** Extra special gift for those who hate these, this is based on an in-movie joke, noting also these are not required to be funny

... like this post! B'dum-tssh...

Last edited:
  • Haha
I was reading earlier today that a group of anti lockdown protesters has been sentenced after intimidating and verbally abusing a journalist.

I think it shows how some conspiracy theorists can end up when taken in by things they read online.

I've linked an article below that gives more detail. This part is a bit disturbing:
Mr Watt said he had been the subject of death threats on "conspiracy theorist forums" and had concerns "my safety can no longer be guaranteed".

• Wow
Sort of on the same note but I’m listening to Death By Conspiracy currently. It goes into the death of a local man who believed and engaged with the local conspiracy crowd in his area

I’m not that far in but the lack of empathy towards the family is shocking. The guy who seems to be the “leader” of the group tried contacting the family to say they should ask for an inquest soon after the death because doctor’s can’t be trusted. They even turned up at a radio station that was airing an interview with the cousin

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I see Mikhail Gorbachev died at 91. I wonder how many Covid jabs he had? Probably heaps, that's why he's dead now.
RIP Gorby, I always liked that bit of Glasnost you had on your bald head.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I see Mikhail Gorbachev died at 91. I wonder how many Covid jabs he had? Probably heaps, that's why he's dead now.
RIP Gorby, I always liked that bit of Glasnost you had on your bald head.
Speaking of indelible links (see what I did there), a claim to fame and connection to the political elite, I briefly lived in a place in Gordon Brown's constituency (impressive already, right? But that's not the claim) near where Gorby had nearly visited only a year or so earlier but didn't because he got called back to Moscow when the Party needed a new grand supreme chairman, preferably one who wasn't on the verge of popping his clogs.

So yeah - fame and glory, these are not strangers to me :cool:

• Haha
This one seems to have cropped up in the last few days...
Doesn't mean it's not happening anywhere or that it isn't massively annoying for us plebby cash users especially if trying to keep tabs on the card use (the drip drip drip of small stuff invariably adds up to more than you expect) but is limited to particular sites rather than being a company policy.

May well be 'testing the water' of course but their clientele is likely not the broadest demographic so their findings will be of limited value for retail as a whole.

Reactions: 1
Businesses want to go cashless because it’s quicker, easier and cheaper. Imagine all the time saved from not needing to count change for customers, cashing up throughout the day, banking money, checking till balances to ensure your staff aren’t helping themselves etc etc.

Not sure why it’s being turned into a big conspiracy. Most people are still sticking their card in a cash machine to get cash so then being anti card payments in shops seems bizarre.

• Sick
People who believe that the banks can ‘take your money’ therefore best to use cash have no idea how the banking system works and all the regulations in place.

Nobody is saying it is happening everywhere or that the banks can take your money!
However anyone who thinks that it's OK is deluded.
My brother doesn't have the mental capacity to use card payments and during lockdowns was banned from 3 out of the 4 shops that stayed open in his town for wanting to pay by cash and then getting upset when he " wasn't allowed to " for covid reasons!!!
Also as someone who worked where power cuts were common you are completely stuck if you rely entirely on electronic payments etc.

• Sad
  • Sick
It’s weird how the most normal things seem to take a conspiracy turn? Maybe weird isn’t the right term but conspiracies used to be mostly about tragedies or unusual events

1. The whole bug thing. It’s been discussed for a few years now and I’d say that we are becoming more conscious of the environmental impact of farming too

2. Going cash free. It’s slowly been happening for a bit, I think the pandemic sped it up a lot though. I’ve seen concerns about it and I think they’re understandable, it doesn’t have to be a conspiracy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.