Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
People who are eating on a Teams call and don't mute the mic so you can hear them chomping 🤮

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
When people at work don’t understand boundaries and personal space.
I do not want someone gawking over my shoulder with no mask on waiting for me to gather information that they could easily get for themself.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Before reading this thread I thought I was a bit ignorant for disliking working with much older people, but clearly there’s a workplace mixed-generation-relationship issue in every industry!

My team (Male and Female) are all 20-30 years older than me, uninterested in understanding new technology or ideas. To boot they are so unbelievably patronising and talk to me as if I’m a first jobber; offering advice on things I didn’t ask for, even talking to me delicately in baby tones, and dismissing my ideas before I've even finished the sentence.

I’m in a senior role, highly experienced and not out of my depth in the slightest, but they can’t help but take on a parental role with me. Phrases that wind me up to the point I feel like I’m going to explode:
- good job!
- that won’t work here
- you need to be really careful
- maybe you should...
- you’re doing really well
- why don’t we stick to...

Have contacted my headhunter for new opportunities and am committed to resigning by September.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Before reading this thread I thought I was a bit ignorant for disliking working with much older people, but clearly there’s a workplace mixed-generation-relationship issue in every industry!

My team (Male and Female) are all 20-30 years older than me, uninterested in understanding new technology or ideas. To boot they are so unbelievably patronising and talk to me as if I’m a first jobber; offering advice on things I didn’t ask for, even talking to me delicately in baby tones, and dismissing my ideas before I've even finished the sentence.

I’m in a senior role, highly experienced and not out of my depth in the slightest, but they can’t help but take on a parental role with me. Phrases that wind me up to the point I feel like I’m going to explode:
- good job!
- that won’t work here
- you need to be really careful
- maybe you should...
- you’re doing really well
- why don’t we stick to...

Have contacted my headhunter for new opportunities and am committed to resigning by September.
Oh dear, I hope you get head hunted for an office with nobody over the age of 35 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Yes! This really annoys me! I used to job share with someone, she worked one half of the week, and I worked the other half, and we sat at the same desk.
She finished at lunchtime, and I didn't start until an hour later, so we never crossed paths, except at staff meetings the odd time.
I'd come in and have to put away her cardigan that was on the back of the chair, kick all her shoes to the side, and clear the jar of peanut butter, other snacks and sometimes even used cutlery 😮 off the desk.
I'd then clean the desk, phone, mouse and keyboard with antibacterial wipes, it was a right faff!
I always left the desk clean and tidy for her, hoping she'd take the hint but she never did and I didn't really know how to broach it tactfully.
ugh this is so disrespectful, I would have thrown her stuff away!

Reactions: 5
This!! No way I'd be clearing up her tit every day. I'd have left a very passive aggressive note to her. 😅
"I assume because you left all your tit on the desk you don't need it so I threw it in the bin to save you the time. No need to thank me :)"

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Don’t read if eating lunch, or squeamish....

I used to have a colleague who left a cardigan on the back of his chair, or sometimes on a coatrack. Wasn’t hurting anyone. He shared the office with two people. One time he came back from leave and said what the hell is that smell, the other two colleagues were oblivious. He eventually tacked down the smell when he went to put his cardi on, it had tit on it. It looked like they had wiped their arse on it. His colleagues were not under suspicion- they were appalled a) at the sheer disgustingness of it and b) the fact that they had sat there for a few days without smelling it.

The only theory they could come up with as to the culprit is that the cleaner sometimes brought their small child in and they had an accident and cleaned themselves with what they found to hand.

We hot desk (but not been in the office for over a year) and put everything away, but even before hot desking I was cautious about what I left out. It’s one thing somebody nicking your stress ball or stapler, quite another if someone poops in your woolies.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
Oh dear, I hope you get head hunted for an office with nobody over the age of 35 🙄
Actually, the best team I worked for had a mix of people of all ages. Not going to feel bad for never wanting to work solely with people over 50.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I've just sat through a restructuring presentation - I hate work sometimes. Same old tit.....

• Sad
Reactions: 4
There is this one person - it's hard to believe he got hired at the same level I did with less experience (we're talking 6 years vs 2 years).

Every single time he pings me to ask me a question, I know I'm going to get a headache or annoyed. He's got poor people skills and doesn't know how to properly communicate. He will ask me a question in a certain way, I respond and then I get a "that's not my question". He does it with everyone, every single time. He drives me absolutely insane. The other day, the conversation went:

Him: "Can you please send me the template of the file you sent?".
Me: "The file I sent? Would you be able to clarify what file you're referring to?".
Him: "I'm not saying you sent anything".
Me thinking in my head: What? You just said "the file you sent" buddy.

He drives me absolutely nuts.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
ugh this is so disrespectful, I would have thrown her stuff away!
I know what you mean! She had been there for years, and I was only new, so I felt I couldn't really say anything to her.
Or, at least, I just couldn't think of a tactful way of saying it 😥
I was a bit passive aggressive, in that, I used to fold her cardigan up and shove it in a drawer, as there was nowhere to hang it.
However, I used to wimp out and put it on the back of the chair again, when I finished for the week!
I'm an eejit!

It really annoys me when im on a call and get distracted by the immature person nearby who pays no heed and is stomping around, laughing or shouting.

It's even worse that its my own son. Working at home can definitely be tough !!

• Haha
So many!!

A few senior colleagues who get paid the same as me and work the same number of hours who basically treat it like a part time job-come in when when fancy, leave when they fancy. When they're meant to be 'working from home' another colleague ran into one of them shopping for shoes. Just can't be arsed but when we're in meetings they talk like they are so hard working and committed and know everything.

Colleagues who are so incredibly vague when you talk to them, I just can't get a straight yes or no at all in response to a simple and important question (we work in healthcare!) And I know that when I'm talking to them they aren't listening.

People who don't read emails with important information in them and then act as though they haven't been kept in the loop about stuff- literally every day I am asked something I've already told people and its never like 'oh I'm sorry you've probably told me this' its always 'um, I hate to bring it up but what about this, have you actually considered this?'

Jobsworth people who follow and defend stupid rules for no reason and won't bend from them at all even when you explain why it would be beneficial and more efficient efficient everyone to do something a different way.

People who lie about how little work they've done/corners they have cut and try and bluff and bamboozle until you give up asking.

People who just don't even try to fix a problem before coming and asking you to sort it.

People who love drama and make a big deal out of everything, usually things which just aren't an issue at all.

People who try to belittle you to make themselves feel bigger and better. I work with some men who won't look at me when they talk to me or meet with me unless I bring a male colleague with me because I'm a female. And some more senior women I work with don't like that I'm at their level and younger than them so constantly pepper conversation with 'you won't have heard of this', 'you weren't even born when this happened', 'you were in nappies then!' About stuff which I definitely have heard of (e.g.womens hour, I listen regularly but apparently can't have because I'm 'far too young to have heard about that') to make me seem younger and more inexperienced than I am.

People who talk in vague management speak to make themselves sound amazing but have no practical ideas or plans to actually put anything in action.

Phew sorry that was a rant, work is really doing my head in at the moment (or more specifically the people), I could keep going but I think that's enough.. 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Actually, I feel like venting a bit more as these past few months have been annoying:
  • No one says "Thank you", ever. I'm lucky if I get a "Thank you" once a month or so. Every interaction is transactional
  • Everyone is always "too busy" to answer even the most basic question
  • People who volunteer to help you on your project, perform their task incorrectly, realize they didn't do it right & then drop you at the last minute before the delivery deadline claiming they're too "busy" and can't correct their work (this is the same guy I spoke about above)
  • People who don't master a topic at all, yet volunteer to discuss it during a team meeting. Then, they end up cramming at the last minute before the meeting and ping you to ask you these harebrained questions about said topic because they know you know the answer (same guy I spoke about above).
  • People who volunteer to help you on a project, still haven't done a thing a week later, then tell you: "I'm so sorry, I forgot"
  • Managers who play favorites in the most obvious manner and don't manage
  • You ask a question - no one has an answer and you wind up having to seek an answer yourself somewhere else
  • People who see you online on a Sunday and start pestering you on Skype to get your to download non-urgent documents for them
  • People who send you a request for a meeting at the last minute at 7pm when you've already logged off, only to realize it wasn't urgent
  • When someone gives you a specific deadline, you kill yourself to meet the deadline and they don't look at the file until two weeks later
It's only been 10 months since I started the job and my list has far exceeded what I witnessed in previous jobs at this point in time.

Reactions: 3
my colleague reads his family's group chat out to me. not even like he's reading it out loud to himself, actually trying to make conversation with me! it's not even anything interesting it's like what they're having for tea and can he go to the shop on the way back!

he also addresses me (and other women younger than him) as "young lady"

I'm 37, Darren

• Haha
my colleague reads his family's group chat out to me. not even like he's reading it out loud to himself, actually trying to make conversation with me! it's not even anything interesting it's like what they're having for tea and can he go to the shop on the way back!

he also addresses me (and other women younger than him) as "young lady"

I'm 37, Darren
You could read him 'the list' 😇

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.