Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
bleeping idiots that don't do their work properly and then call in sick so other people have to do it 🤬

Reactions: 9
I work in a kitchen, we have a stand in chef at the moment, she can't cope with the pace but keeps telling us she is destined to run a bigger kitchen and were just a stepping stone. She's more concerned about when her next fag break is rather then making sure were ready for service! drives me mad, she earns double what us assistants do but were the ones doing all the hard work.

• Angry
  • Wow
I get that sometimes it is quicker to just ask someone rather than spend ages trying to work out a problem, but I hate it when people just default to taking absolutely no initiative themselves. Sometimes I've googled the answer to a problem in the time it's taken for a colleague to tell me what it is. I have people who email me about technical issues that they could have solved for themselves easily if they had just bothered to TRY and LOOK for an answer. Bloody sick of it and it seems it gets worse the more senior people are. I have a senior colleague who I have to spoon feed his work to, what he needs to do, when, how, all of it, because he is incapable of just LOOKING at the SAME THING I AM and figuring out what he needs to do.

Clowns to the left of me, idiots to the right, here I am stuck googling your work for half the pay.
On a similar note, part of my role includes copywriting but only for specific teams/platforms. The amount of people (not from those teams) that appear at my desk or send me messages asking me to check spelling or give them a definition of a word, or 'what's another word for x?' like I'm a bleeping human dictionary. Whenever I answer they go 'that's why you're the writer!' - like, being a good writer doesn't mean I know more words, it means I know how to research.

One day a guy came over to ask me for a 'better word for x' because his agency had botched his copy. He was quite horrified when I silently turned to my computer and googled 'synonyms for x' and tilted my screen for him. He said 'oh...yeah... I guess I could've done that' and I replied 'it's basically what I do every time you ask'.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I just remembered another incident reading the 'people that bother you about work when you're not working' comments.

I was going to a funeral and got asked for some info urgently so I emailed one of my team and asked him to do it in my absence. I specifically said it didn't matter what format they presented it in but to get it across ASAP and explained I was going to a funeral or would do it myself.

Sat waiting for the funeral to start and saw my phone flashing (thankfully on silent). Was this bloke. I ignored it and phoned him after the service as assumed it must be urgent. He wanted to check the format he was thinking was acceptable. I said yes, as per my email. What isn't acceptable is phoning someone in a funeral to ask 🤦‍♀️
Not as horrific as this, but I use to be a community nurse and this was so common. I got a phone call when I was on holiday in America about off duty. When I broke my leg I was called everyday about advice re wounds or safeguarding.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Not as horrific as this, but I use to be a community nurse and this was so common. I got a phone call when I was on holiday in America about off duty. When I broke my leg I was called everyday about advice re wounds or safeguarding.
I just remembered another incident reading the 'people that bother you about work when you're not working' comments.

I was going to a funeral and got asked for some info urgently so I emailed one of my team and asked him to do it in my absence. I specifically said it didn't matter what format they presented it in but to get it across ASAP and explained I was going to a funeral or would do it myself.

Sat waiting for the funeral to start and saw my phone flashing (thankfully on silent). Was this bloke. I ignored it and phoned him after the service as assumed it must be urgent. He wanted to check the format he was thinking was acceptable. I said yes, as per my email. What isn't acceptable is phoning someone in a funeral to ask 🤦‍♀️
I have experienced similar on multiple occasions. Been off after surgery, on holiday and off for family funeral and had to leave my phone at home, or in hotel rooms just to avoid the inevitable.
My favourite one though is the time I made the mistake of using my personal phone to call someone about work once because my work mobile wasn’t getting signal.
He then phoned me months after I had left the company and proceeded to leave numerous voicemails. I eventually answered and told him I didn’t work with the company any more and to politely stop calling me.
He knew I had left the company because I had told him in person and then sent an email before I finished which he replied to, and he was now dealing with the person who had taken my old position.
He said he knew I had left the company but he wanted to ask me to chase something up for him ..... WHY THE duck would anyone think this is acceptable???? Not only is it highly unprofessional and rude but in my line of work it’s quite literally illegal!!!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
People who start a teams call 3 minutes early. No I don't want to make idle small talk with you for 3 minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
People who start a teams call 3 minutes early. No I don't want to make idle small talk with you for 3 minutes.
I am chairing a meeting due to start at 9:30 this morning. Someone entered the lobby at 9:15🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 they can sit and wait there until it’s time I’m not chatting to them for that long whilst we wait for everyone else 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 15
We have someone who does this for every meeting! She used to do it before working from home with in person meetings too. If a meeting started at 9.30 she would walk past my desk at 9.25 and say "HoGi are you joining us??" With a proper tone about her as if I was late even though the meeting room is behind my desk and noone else was in there yet! I would check my watch and say "yes in 5 minutes when the meetings about to start"

She is worse with teams now and I make a point of joining bang on time not a second before 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I am chairing a meeting due to start at 9:30 this morning. Someone entered the lobby at 9:15🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 they can sit and wait there until it’s time I’m not chatting to them for that long whilst we wait for everyone else 🙃
Ugh! 15 minutes early? What a psycho 😂

We have someone who does this for every meeting! She used to do it before working from home with in person meetings too. If a meeting started at 9.30 she would walk past my desk at 9.25 and say "HoGi are you joining us??" With a proper tone about her as if I was late even though the meeting room is behind my desk and noone else was in there yet! I would check my watch and say "yes in 5 minutes when the meetings about to start"

She is worse with teams now and I make a point of joining bang on time not a second before 😆
Yeah I make a point of not joining til bang on unless it's just a call with one or two people 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
When people put a meeting in your diary but don’t put anything in the invitation to tell you what it’s about, apart from a vague one line subject. or even ask you if you are ok to have a meeting. No sorry I don’t want to have a meeting at 5.30pm on Monday!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
When people put a meeting in your diary but don’t put anything in the invitation to tell you what it’s about, apart from a vague one line subject. or even ask you if you are ok to have a meeting. No sorry I don’t want to have a meeting at 5.30pm on Monday!
better than 5.30 on a Friday which some of my colleagues seemed to deem appropriate!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Cardigans always draped over their chairs, a shoe collection under the desk ...
Yes! This really annoys me! I used to job share with someone, she worked one half of the week, and I worked the other half, and we sat at the same desk.
She finished at lunchtime, and I didn't start until an hour later, so we never crossed paths, except at staff meetings the odd time.
I'd come in and have to put away her cardigan that was on the back of the chair, kick all her shoes to the side, and clear the jar of peanut butter, other snacks and sometimes even used cutlery 😮 off the desk.
I'd then clean the desk, phone, mouse and keyboard with antibacterial wipes, it was a right faff!
I always left the desk clean and tidy for her, hoping she'd take the hint but she never did and I didn't really know how to broach it tactfully.

• Wow
  • Sick
We shifted offices yesterday - nothing too major; we just moved across the hall - and of course the usual suspects either phoned in sick or had to rush off to an emergency, leaving the whole move to just a couple of us. It took nearly all day and was incredibly exhausting. To top it off, I received a late night text from one of those who had to "rush off" asking why her plant wasn't in the right place :rolleyes: (I replied to say she was lucky we moved any of her stuff at all, which she quickly responded to say she was very grateful).

People are lazy. And revolting. I used to sit behind someone like the shoes, food and cardigan example above ... it was so darned unprofessional. Her attitude to work and output were much the same as her desk presentation.

I also get annoyed with messy and disorganised people who sit at my desk when I'm not there, just because it has "more room." In reality, it's the same size as every other desk; it's just well organised with everything in its place. Even worse is when I come in and find greasy pie wrappers in my bin (we have to take our own rubbish home) and coffee spills and crumbs on my desk. I really miss working from home permanently!

Oh, and one more gripe! I work with someone who is really, really messy - I will print things off for them and they somehow get returned to me (signed) looking as if they've encountered a storm ... ripped, usually with bits of food or grease on them ... just revolting. So I decided to get some plastic sleeves (out of my own pocket) to put the documents in. Lo and behold, the documents are still getting returned to me in that awful state, and the plastic sleeves are sticky and covered in goodness knows what. I have politely said to the person in question that they need to get a work satchel to put these things in, but my suggestions fall on deaf ears.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Or as soon as you join a call and your video is still loading and your mic is muted they say "hi Cheddar, how are you" jesus let me get on and eye duck myself on the screen first before I have to start talking!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Yes! This really annoys me! I used to job share with someone, she worked one half of the week, and I worked the other half, and we sat at the same desk.
She finished at lunchtime, and I didn't start until an hour later, so we never crossed paths, except at staff meetings the odd time.
I'd come in and have to put away her cardigan that was on the back of the chair, kick all her shoes to the side, and clear the jar of peanut butter, other snacks and sometimes even used cutlery 😮 off the desk.
I'd then clean the desk, phone, mouse and keyboard with antibacterial wipes, it was a right faff!
I always left the desk clean and tidy for her, hoping she'd take the hint but she never did and I didn't really know how to broach it tactfully.
I can’t stand the thought of people eating over the keyboard and all the crumbs and food flecks left sitting on or inside it.

Reactions: 6
Using the last of the paper in the photocopier and not bothering to refill the drawer
And putting the headed paper in the wrong way so the letter prints off with the logo upside down :mad:

I have literally given tutorials about the right way to put the f***ing headed paper in

Reactions: 5
I hate when people bend over someone else’s desk and when you walk past you can practically see what they had for tea

• Haha
  • Sick
I took my plug-in oil burner into work as the bathrooms are very close to where I sit and certain smells would flow through the office :sick:

A few weeks passed and then one day I went into the office extra-early to get stuff done, went to turn it on ... and it wasn't there! It turned out that someone in the office next door (shared premises with another company) fancied it for a dinner party they were having so "borrowed it". That made me really angry - had she asked, I would have said sure; but just taking it was rude. It also came back with a small chip in it, which she denied causing. Oh, and she helped herself to the little bottle of oil I had sitting beside it too.

I also have a few things that I've taken into the office, which I personally own, go missing - a backrest for my chair; and an A3 document holder ... both expensive things, but it's the principle that really annoys me. How dare people help themselves to your stuff.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.