Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel ya there! Men and women are are as bad as each other too!

Sadly I work with a group of back stabbers. Mostly people that have nothing going on in their lives. I used to make the effort to be friendly with them but they witch about you regardless so now I just keep it professional. Some workplaces can be toxic. When people try bitching about colleagues I tell them I'm not interested. Straight to the point. Can't be arsed fannying around with all that buisness.
Oh my god I feel like we may have worked in the same place 🤣
In a very awful workplace I worked in (with a hugely passive aggressive manager) I made a very minor mistake in a mail chimp email. Pass agg manager emailed all the recipients apologising, only to have someone to reply to everyong (inlcuding me( about a mistake the manager had made in his reply email). He left the office for the rest of the day as we all just laughed about it

Reactions: 2
Unfriendly colleagues that don't smile or even make eye contact when they walk past.

We have rarely spoken but you know I work here as I have done for 7 years. Do you hate me?:eek:

Reactions: 15
I have that same thing at work. Pisses me off. The other day the person using the work station before me went home and left their used fork on the desk. Had eaten their lunch, thrown the polystyrene container in the bin but left the used fork on the desk. The same person that made a huge fuss to our manager that we should have plastic dividers between each work station due to Covid risk. So Covid doesn't live on metal cutlery that has been In your mouth? I apply the same principle to that as I do to people leaving their dirty used coffee mugs on my desk - STRAIGHT IN THE BIN.
Compleatly unacceptable, even in normal times, but in a global pandemic!! If you are sharing a work station with a colleague on a different shift to your self that workstation should be cleared and everthing sanitised down to the last paperclip!! That fork would have been in someone's mouth!! I would be taking photos and making a huge fuss to the manager myself!!

Reactions: 6
This is one of the best threads I've read in a while, sadly I don't have any more stories because I don't work in an office these days, good old self employment.

Reactions: 5
I love this thread!

Mine are:

When people are near retirement and feel it's their god given duty to do sweet FA and lump the rest of us with the work as a result. I get you're leaving in a few weeks but you're as useless as a chocolate fireguard at the moment so just go now and save us all the damn hassle.

People who constantly talk! There's a woman who used to work with me, she was lovely but she'd literally corner you in the car park to have a conversation. She would talk complete tit as well, like the washing that she had to do that evening. I don't care that you've got 4 towels to wash after work tbh.

People who take things personally when it's really not personal. I hate having my breaks in the staff room, not because I hate my work colleagues but because I'm anti social as duck. I don't want to sit in the staff room and run the risk of someone coming in and talking to me. I want to sit on a bench, or in my car, or in costa where I won't be exposed to a conversation.

People who over share stuff that isn't about them. I don't mind people talking about their kids or grandkids, especially when it's big events like starting school and stuff and I very often will ask "how did your kid get on in her competition/first day of school/birthdays etc?" but one woman I worked with legit was telling a 22 year old male colleague about how her 11 year old daughter was growing pubes. I was like wtf, that's so inappropriate especially to tell a male colleague. Discussing it amongst fellow mums maybe but come on!! Oversharing about your own life is fine but don't give out really personal details about your child!

Also I want to add in regards to food and sharing it: One major perk of being the crazy vegan of the workplace is that everyone knows you won't eat their food🤣

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has rude, bitchy workmates with questionable hygiene 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
This one might be relevant to my specific workplace only but we'll see.

I work as a legal secretary whilst I'm doing my own law degree for a solicitor. He's a very old school solicitor and clearly thinks he is something special. So much so that he won't even engage properly in conversation with people beneath his paygrade. For example, yesterday the office needed some toilet roll, tissues and milk. I was the only secretary in so it fell on me to sort it. Rather than just politely asking me to go and get them, he came and placed a note on my desk (I was sat there at the time) that simply said "Shop - toilet roll, tissue, milk - need this morning". Before walking away he tapped the note three times - no words were spoken. He does not say hello when he arrives and neither does he say goodbye when he leaves. He kept forwarding emails on to me which he was receiving and putting "print for file". When I asked him if he knew how to print said emails (just in case he didn't!) his reply was "yes I do, but that's an admin job which I won't do".

Now, I know when you reach a certain level that some jobs do fall to those beneath you, and as a secretary filing is part of my role however to ask me to print an email which he is currently working on, and has the file himself is just lazy imo. It's taken more time for him to forward it on to me that it would for him to just click print. I also don't care how high up you are in your role, basic manners cost nothing so greeting people hello and goodbye is not beneath you. Nor is politely asking somebody to do something rather than shoving a note in their face!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Definitely not just specific to your workplace.
I worked somewhere that had a similar old fashioned hierarchy.

There were 2 breakout areas, one was used only by lower class staff, and the other was only allowed to be used by the upper class.

You would be asked to move your car to the rear of the building if you didn’t have a vehicle deemed fancy enough for people passing to see outside the building.

Staff from certain departments were not allowed to step foot in the office, if you needed to get something from your desk to show them, they would stand outside the office door unless they knew no managing directors were in that day.

The receptionist was off sick one day and I decided to help the admin girl with taking water and sandwiches up to the board room for a meeting. On my way to the room, I overheard 2 of the directors talking about how they would have to get an office staff member to pose as a factory worker for the prime minister coming to visit because they couldn’t have working class plebs embarrassing them.

I work as a legal secretary whilst I'm doing my own law degree for a solicitor. He's a very old school solicitor and clearly thinks he is something special. So much so that he won't even engage properly in conversation with people beneath his paygrade. For example, yesterday the office needed some toilet roll, tissues and milk. I was the only secretary in so it fell on me to sort it. Rather than just politely asking me to go and get them, he came and placed a note on my desk (I was sat there at the time) that simply said "Shop - toilet roll, tissue, milk - need this morning". Before walking away he tapped the note three times - no words were spoken. He does not say hello when he arrives and neither does he say goodbye when he leaves. He kept forwarding emails on to me which he was receiving and putting "print for file". When I asked him if he knew how to print said emails (just in case he didn't!) his reply was "yes I do, but that's an admin job which I won't do".

Now, I know when you reach a certain level that some jobs do fall to those beneath you, and as a secretary filing is part of my role however to ask me to print an email which he is currently working on, and has the file himself is just lazy imo. It's taken more time for him to forward it on to me that it would for him to just click print. I also don't care how high up you are in your role, basic manners cost nothing so greeting people hello and goodbye is not beneath you. Nor is politely asking somebody to do something rather than shoving a note in their face!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Definitely not just specific to your workplace.
I worked somewhere that had a similar old fashioned hierarchy.

There were 2 breakout areas, one was used only by lower class staff, and the other was only allowed to be used by the upper class.

You would be asked to move your car to the rear of the building if you didn’t have a vehicle deemed fancy enough for people passing to see outside the building.

Staff from certain departments were not allowed to step foot in the office, if you needed to get something from your desk to show them, they would stand outside the office door unless they knew no managing directors were in that day.

The receptionist was off sick one day and I decided to help the admin girl with taking water and sandwiches up to the board room for a meeting. On my way to the room, I overheard 2 of the directors talking about how they would have to get an office staff member to pose as a factory worker for the prime minister coming to visit because they couldn’t have working class plebs embarrassing them.
Oh my god 😳 how recent was this?!

what is he like with people on his pay grade?
he sounds very rude but I’m wondering is it a case of arrogance, sexism, or just a severe lack of social skills (no excuse still obviously but I’m wondering if he’s very charming to those within his paygrade or does he have no people skills with them also )

what is he like with people on his pay grade?
he sounds very rude but I’m wondering is it a case of arrogance, sexism, or just a severe lack of social skills (no excuse still obviously but I’m wondering if he’s very charming to those within his paygrade or does he have no people skills with them also )
He lacks social skills to some extent but he's much friendlier with people within his pay grade.

I know, right! It was less than 5 years ago and a very highly respected company.
I had never experienced anything like it before and haven’t since.
I handed in my notice and had a month left of my notice period when I overheard another convo in the board room about one of my colleagues. They were discussing her lifestyle choices at weekends calling her a liability, slut, bound to get raped, ugly, but her juicy arse made up for it and they would definitely bang it. (I managed to record most of it on my phone).
I decided there and then that I wasn’t sticking out the notice period went back to my desk, packed up my things, emailed the recording to my work email then forwarded it to the entire company and waited to see which MD was first to appear from their office.

Not gonna lie, it felt so bleeping good doing it! I left on a high, unlike the board of pricks! 😂

Oh my god 😳 how recent was this?!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
I know, right! It was less than 5 years ago and a very highly respected company.
I handed in my notice and had a month left of my notice period when I overheard another convo in the board room about one of my colleagues. They were discussing her lifestyle choices at weekends calling her a liability, ugly, but her juicy arse made up for it. (I managed to record most of it on my phone).
I decided there and then that I wasn’t sticking out the notice period went back to my desk, packed up my things, emailed the recording to my work email then forwarded it to the entire company and waited to see which MD was first to appear from their office.

Not gonna lie, it felt so bleeping good doing it! I left on a high, unlike the board of pricks! 😂
You legend!!!! 🙌🙌🙌🙌 this is something so many woulf love to do, but so few of us, myself included, would have the balls to do!!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Unfriendly colleagues that don't smile or even make eye contact when they walk past.

We have rarely spoken but you know I work here as I have done for 7 years. Do you hate me?:eek:
omg this just reminded me. I did a secondment in another department for about a year and there was one lady who I sat close to and we exchanged small talk. It was pleasant enough. But I was warned that she would blank people at the flip of a coin if they’d done something “wrong”. When I went back to my old department, I would still see her in the loos and would always say hi/smile and she just completely blanked me every time! She would literally refuse to even look at me and pretended I wasn’t there 😂

At this same place, I was in the staff room and this guy comes in and started firing questions at me...my name, where I live, what train I get (bear in mind Id never met this guy). I felt uncomfortable so got up to leave and he immediately goes “do you want to go for a coffee sometime” - at this stage he hadn’t even told me his name. I said no and ran off. Found out later that he’d done the same thing to many women in the building 😅 If I saw him in the corridor he’d make up stuff that were clearly lies (like how he’s gonna do a phd). We’d occasionally get the same train too and I’d have to hold the metro over my face to avoid him.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
My internal left winger/feminist that I never knew existed was busting out!
It’s both my favourite and least favourite work related story, I remember telling my dad what I had done and he said he had never been so proud 😂
I sat and cried in my car for about 20 minutes after I left because I was so worried they’d try to sue me and ruin my life and future employment.

You legend!!!! 🙌🙌🙌🙌 this is something so many woulf love to do, but so few of us, myself included, would have the balls to do!!

Reactions: 4
omg this just reminded me. I did a secondment in another department for about a year and there was one lady who I sat close to and we exchanged small talk. It was pleasant enough. But I was warned that she would blank people at the flip of a coin if they’d done something “wrong”. When I went back to my old department, I would still see her in the loos and would always say hi/smile and she just completely blanked me every time! She would literally refuse to even look at me and pretended I wasn’t there 😂

At this same place, I was in the staff room and this guy comes in and started firing questions at me...my name, where I live, what train I get (bear in mind Id never met this guy). I felt uncomfortable so got up to leave and he immediately goes “do you want to go for a coffee sometime” - at this stage he hadn’t even told me his name. I said no and ran off. Found out later that he’d done the same thing to many women in the building 😅 If I saw him in the corridor he’d make up stuff that were clearly lies (like how he’s gonna do a phd). We’d occasionally get the same train too and I’d have to hold the metro over my face to avoid him.
There was a lad in my office that tried it on with every young woman! Even those, like me, who had long term boyfriends!! He always got knocked back, but as soon as a new girl started he would try it on. He is now married to the first girl he tried it on with who didn't say no!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I handed in my notice and had a month left of my notice period when I overheard another convo in the board room about one of my colleagues. They were discussing her lifestyle choices at weekends calling her a liability, slut, bound to get raped, ugly, but her juicy arse made up for it and they would definitely bang it. (I managed to record most of it on my phone).

Hahahaha actually laughed out loud at this 😂 what a way to go 😂
It's appalling that there's still so much misogyny in the workplace in this day and age 🙄

I work in a production environment with offices also on site but a different building(sales etc) and production wear uniforms, obviously because we're getting dirty doing jobs etc.
The office staff look at anyone in uniform like they are tit on their shoes.
Office get nice toilet paper, no joke the cleaner put nice stuff in our toilet and got told to take it back out cos it was only for office staff 😂
Office get fresh fruit delivered daily, good coffee machines and desk drops of goodies
If production get the goodies we have to trapse over and beg for it just about, all the while being looked at like you have 2 heads cos you're in the uniform. It's very much them and you scenario.
Production are higher paid (manual jobs and shifts) and they constantly tell us that we are paid too much while enjoying a balanced family life where they can leave at 5pm and not be back in till 9am.
Meanwhile were all Nightshift, backshift, dayshift.
Bunch of wanks honestly 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Your work sounds similar to what the set up was at the place I left.
I used to go home from work and be so angry at how people were being treated. It seems to be accepted in some lines of work and I could not get my head round it.
Another thing I couldn’t help but notice was for a company with well over 200 people on site, every single one was white.

Hahahaha actually laughed out loud at this 😂 what a way to go 😂
It's appalling that there's still so much misogyny in the workplace in this day and age 🙄

I work in a production environment with offices also on site but a different building(sales etc) and production wear uniforms, obviously because we're getting dirty doing jobs etc.
The office staff look at anyone in uniform like they are tit on their shoes.
Office get nice toilet paper, no joke the cleaner put nice stuff in our toilet and got told to take it back out cos it was only for office staff 😂
Office get fresh fruit delivered daily, good coffee machines and desk drops of goodies
If production get the goodies we have to trapse over and beg for it just about, all the while being looked at like you have 2 heads cos you're in the uniform. It's very much them and you scenario.
Production are higher paid (manual jobs and shifts) and they constantly tell us that we are paid too much while enjoying a balanced family life where they can leave at 5pm and not be back in till 9am.
Meanwhile were all Nightshift, backshift, dayshift.
Bunch of wanks honestly 😂

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.