Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure this is the right thread hut saw someone upthread had said they worn about a work decision and I have a decision to make too.

What would people prefer to work? 3 days 8-6 so that's 2 extra days you can do school drop off/pick up or 4 days 8-4 so 1 less day of getting kids to and from school but means when they are a bit older it's less time for them to being in themselves after school until I get home?
There are pros and cons to both, however having worked part time on the past, the main factor thing to consider is the type of responsibilities you have at work. If your work involves anything to do with deadlines you might find working over 4 days less stressful as otherwise you will always be playing catch up. If not, I’d always pick working over fewer days a week.

Not sure this is the right thread hut saw someone upthread had said they worn about a work decision and I have a decision to make too.

What would people prefer to work? 3 days 8-6 so that's 2 extra days you can do school drop off/pick up or 4 days 8-4 so 1 less day of getting kids to and from school but means when they are a bit older it's less time for them to being in themselves after school until I get home?
Do what suits you now. When they are older you can always change it.
Whilst my little ones are at nursery I work 32 hours over 3 long days which means I get to be off with them in the week and they don't go to nursery 5 days a week, but when my youngest is at school I'll be doing shorter days over more days.
We can put in one request for flexible working a year.

When there's always one person that questions everything in a group email. eg:

Hi, can you make sure X is done on Thursday by X time so that we are ready to close down on friday.
Then I get a reply, why Thursday and not Friday, am I missing something?

Because people seem to forget things and if they conveniently forget on Friday it will be too late. Just duck off, nothing to do with you.

Reactions: 3
Anyone got anything good from their Christmas parties? Ours was drama free this year. Last year was awful, starting with someone buying a nasty gift for secret santa (the brief is not funny gifts but something nice) then at the party someone proceeded to call one of the girls a c@nt before the owner collapsed in a heap drunk on a chair at 6pm. Person who called someone a c@nt also groped another girls arse just to round off the night.
Not from this year, but past years Christmas do's (from a few different jobs) involved:

A man being rude to a woman, who then threw a drink over him.

Two blokes having a 'do you want to take this outside moment', and that was just at the pub before we even got to the restaurant for a meal.

The police being called because some tourists were taking photos in the bar! We had about 30 people at a Xmas meal, in one corner of a large pub. It was a kinda old historic pub, in central London. Some tourists were taking photos of the inside of the pub and a manager thought this was an invasion of privacy so called the police! The rozzers did actually turn up, spoke to the tourists and they agreed to delete any photos showing our group. I think the alcohol made the manager get paranoid!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Some of my colleagues need so much attention. One of them is ill at the moment. Bit overworked. She made an new whatsapp group with most of the colleagues where she talks about how bad she’s feeling and we need to talk to our boss about the workload. She gives updates about her crying and still not being able to work(after just 1 week) I already didn’t like her(because she‘s always snooping in my private life) but now I’m so annoyed. She thinks that she‘s so important. But she’s not. The days that she was at work, I was scared to go. She would yell, give me stupid orders( like making tea for her) while we have the same job. And she made so so much mistakes, and would leave the most of the work for me and 1 other colleague.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
We have that one person who finishes early to pick kids up (fair enough, dont have a problem with that as they are in early before anyone else) however, when they are assigned an email that requires a little more work, they will leave it too the very last possible second towards the end of their day and ask questions on the email so when it comes back, one of us have to pick it up and action. We are reported on response times for bonuses etc so unless the email comes back at a few minutes before we finish, we pick up this persons emails to action to protect our bonuses as they leave 2.5hrs before the office closes and have a 2 hour response time. Have notice this alot lately due to our client winding down for Christmas and not recieveing as many emails. It annoys me so much!

• Sad
There's gaming the system to maximise productivity bonuses legally, there's gaming it to duck over others (which is crappy), and then there's Expert level gaming.

'Why were you such a girly swot in asking the boss at 5pm Friday if they wanted you to produce a massive multifactorial analysis including the top fifteen key demographics of the year to date, Dragon?'

(Not said unkindly, I really get on well with that person.) 'You might as well have offered them this week's winning lottery numbers, they were always going to say yes'.

Uh-huh. Well, the thing is that if anything comes in that I don't really fancy the look of this week, I can say 'I'm working on a massive multifactorial including the top fifteen key demographics analysis of the year to date for the big boss' and that could take me all the way to close.

<shakes head>

'You're even smarter than I thought, aren't you?'

Why, thank you, Dave.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
When there's always one person that questions everything in a group email. eg:

Hi, can you make sure X is done on Thursday by X time so that we are ready to close down on friday.
Then I get a reply, why Thursday and not Friday, am I missing something?

Because people seem to forget things and if they conveniently forget on Friday it will be too late. Just duck off, nothing to do with you.
Am I missing something comes across as quite passive aggressive, imo. And yes, I know exactly what you mean about someone asking 'why Thursday, not Friday.'
Because if I say Friday, it will arrive by the following Monday...at best. 🙄

Am I missing something comes across as quite passive aggressive, imo. And yes, I know exactly what you mean about someone asking 'why Thursday, not Friday.'
Because if I say Friday, it will arrive by the following Monday...at best. 🙄

All data drops, ever.

Also guaranteed that passwords stop working and haven't been working at all for 'at least a week', completely unreported to IT naturally, 17 hours after the deadline passed. And at least 7 members of management copied in. Not IT, though, as they take no prisoners with this fuckery.

The email advising them to use their AD details (the ones that they used to get into the network and their emails to come up with this bullshit in the first place) accidentally gets sent with a reply all.

Silence follows for another six hours.

Next complaint is either that the wifi password isn't working (suggest they use their wired connection - the one they're using to send the email) or that their computer has reached self awareness and is currently orchestrating the Rise of the Machines.

Data drop deadlines should always be set for at least 14 working days before they're actually needed to allow a week for bollocks and one for Data and IT to sort out any later issues that might arise.

New middle manager produces an 'improved' data drop timetable. Giving exactly 6 hours from deadline to publishing. Well, that isn't going to happen, is it really, Brian?

Colleagues who have a snippy rude nature for no reason annoy me and their managers even more for rarely speaking to them about their attitude.

I'm on a regular project call and one woman who attends is often just plain rude. After the call, people will say "oh that's just what she's like" among themselves, but I don't think that's an excuse. She's good at her job in most ways, but on calls she can sometimes be quite obstructive and that then leads to elongated exchanges, so her behaviour can sometimes lead to inefficiencies.

I've just received an email where she's given an arsey reply and then finished with "I hope my comments will be taken as intended" which shows she's aware she's being rude. It's her way or the highway and when anyone suggests a deviation from the standard (eg to make a process more efficient) she just puts walls up because she thinks her way is only ever the best way. So annoying. :cautious:

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Our team have been asked to send an email regarding the christmas closure, all have done this apart from 1 person.

I can see she's been outside around 5 times for a fag, has read the email and still not sent it and is now being distracted by someone in the building that doesn't even work for us. How difficult is it?!?!?!?!

Reactions: 1
Wearing Santa hats on Teams calls and thinking they’re the height of wit 🙄
Urgh I know the feeling. I was in the office last week and some had decided to wear their Christmas jumpers - fine by me, wear what you like. But some of them started giving me grief for not wearing one of my own, like I was a Scrooge.

The fact of the matter is no one recommended we wear Christmas jumpers on that day (previously they've 'suggested' a date) and I haven't got one anyway because the last cheapy one I got from Primark got damaged in the wash and I didn't want to buy another considering I'd probably only wear it twice a year. Almost told them to piss off. 😂

Reactions: 2
Anyone got anything good from their Christmas parties? Ours was drama free this year. Last year was awful, starting with someone buying a nasty gift for secret santa (the brief is not funny gifts but something nice) then at the party someone proceeded to call one of the girls a c@nt before the owner collapsed in a heap drunk on a chair at 6pm. Person who called someone a c@nt also groped another girls arse just to round off the night.
Probably the worst one I went to was about 15 years ago. We had a mandatory offsite team building thing at a hotel, followed by a Christmas meal and drinks and then more team building the following day. After the meal and drinks a couple of my colleagues, both of which had had a few too many, had a punch up in the lobby of the hotel. It only ended because my boss got pushed through the big window at the front, shattering it 😬 Suffice to say there were a few sore heads the next day but weirdly, nothing was ever mentioned about it.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Have a colleague who is about 10 grades below me and has no authority over me telling me how to do my job today.
I replied and was extremely cold but still professional.
Was tempted to start cc'ing people in to show what I and other members of staff are dealing with but left it
If he persists with this attitude in new year I will be letting everyone know.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I could do with some advice really.
I started a new job last week. I’m fairly familiar with the role but I need a little training on processes in this particular workplace, obviously.
I’m supposed to be taking over the tasks I’m doing from someone who is absolutely rushed off their feet. And I’ll only be doing it for so many hours a week to free up some of their time.
The person concerned is finding every excuse under the sun not to train me.
Plus they are saying that they will remain on the job until I’m up to speed to take over - which isn’t gonna happen without the training!
I’ve asked for a meeting with the manager to properly outline my role. The manager has not even touched base with me since my first day.
The colleague is to be there and a couple of other managers also. This alone worried me as I don’t want to marked as a troublemaker.
I’m really trying to tread a fine line between not upsetting any colleagues and trying to establish what I’m actually doing.
I feel like there’s a load of trouble ahead and I already feel like jacking it in.
How do I get the other person to properly job share without making it a huge issue? 🤷‍♀️ 😞

• Wow
Have a colleague who is about 10 grades below me and has no authority over me telling me how to do my job today.
I replied and was extremely cold but still professional.
Was tempted to start cc'ing people in to show what I and other members of staff are dealing with but left it
If he persists with this attitude in new year I will be letting everyone know.
I had a temp try to do the same thing. He then made the poor decision to try to tell a very senior member of the team how to do her job. She very politely (but icily) told him to knock it off, we know what we're doing and he was wrong anyway. He stopped lol.

Line Manager - their last day going on leave. I will wait in vain for the email wishing me Happy Christmas. I don’t expect a card, or a present, but just a few words wishing me a good Christmas. Just little human touches. Quite disgraceful really. Staff survey coming up in January. Sharpens pen…

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.