Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's not on. Sorry but if I was contacted about work when I was on annual leave I'd just ignore the calls or messages. It's unacceptable to interrupt your down time.
Yep - just don't answer. When I'm on leave I delete any work apps from my phone and log out of my work email account. If they learn that it takes you ages to respond/you don't, they will learn to solve things themselves as it's more efficient than waiting

Reactions: 10
Yep - just don't answer. When I'm on leave I delete any work apps from my phone and log out of my work email account. If they learn that it takes you ages to respond/you don't, they will learn to solve things themselves as it's more efficient than waiting
Exactly. It's amazing how they can suddenly find out how to do stuff when there's no other option.

Reactions: 7
Agreed! Thankfully it's only happened to me once - my boss sent me a WhatsApp message while I was on holiday about a meeting that was happening on my first day back. I distinctly remember I was on a walk along a beach at the time and it got my back up so basically ruined the walk.

When I got back I politely, but firmly, told him that I didn't want to receive any messages about work while I was on annual leave and he said he understood.

Reactions: 6
My old boss used to WhatsApp me at all hours and during each holiday. She would then also email my two work accounts if I didn’t answer. She soon learned that she wouldn’t receive a reply from me at ungodly hours and if I was on holiday she would get no reply at all

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I’m handing my notice in on Friday and I cannot wait. I’ve been at a marketing agency which has been incredibly toxic. Don’t think I ever want to work for an agency again.

We are forced to use our personal WhatsApp accounts to communicate with clients. No wasn’t an option (if you want to keep your job). The clients have constant access to you. Even on annual leave or out of hours you’re expected to give a ‘quick reply’ because ‘otherwise the clients won’t feel the love and will think they’re being ignored’.

The account managers are also absolutely yes men. They lick the clients arses and make stupid unrealistic promises without consulting anyone. They refuse to manage expectations, leaving everyone burnt out while they skip off home at 5pm.

It’s a super toxic culture. It’s pretty underpaid, so it’s easy for the CEO to tell everyone they need to be constantly available when he’s driving home in his Tesla and living in his fancy house 🥴

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I’m handing my notice in on Friday and I cannot wait. I’ve been at a marketing agency which has been incredibly toxic. Don’t think I ever want to work for an agency again.

We are forced to use our personal WhatsApp accounts to communicate with clients. No wasn’t an option (if you want to keep your job). The clients have constant access to you. Even on annual leave or out of hours you’re expected to give a ‘quick reply’ because ‘otherwise the clients won’t feel the love and will think they’re being ignored’.

The account managers are also absolutely yes men. They lick the clients arses and make stupid unrealistic promises without consulting anyone. They refuse to manage expectations, leaving everyone burnt out while they skip off home at 5pm.

It’s a super toxic culture. It’s pretty underpaid, so it’s easy for the CEO to tell everyone they need to be constantly available when he’s driving home in his Tesla and living in his fancy house 🥴
Ooh that sounds so toxic. I thought there was a law about not contacting people on annual leave in the UK or have I just dreamt that?

I have Wednesdays off and often say to my team if anything needs clarifying, just quick message me but my manager says no, it's your day off it can wait till Thursday. (I only work 4 days as I earn more with help from UC then I would if I worked 5 days with no UC it's totally crazy) most Wednesdays I do my food shop and clean the house 🤣 so not exactly 'busy' but I respect my team manager that I'm not paid to pick messages up on my day off.

Have you found a better job? Hope so 🙏 everything crossed for you.

Reactions: 4
Oh I ignored the messages and declined the calls, I know for a fact there are other people in my role in today that could have been asked. The calls were to my personal number too! I'm quite firm on boundaries, the second I leave the office I switch my work phone off and I don't check emails outside of work ever. I think because some colleagues make sure they can always be contacted there is an expectation for the rest of us to be like that :rolleyes:

• Wow
Just been told in a group chat that I don't need to attend a two hour meeting later this morning, which is great news as it will allow me to focus on some other stuff.

But a goody two shoes in the same chat is starting to say things like: "Hmm but they might discuss X so I think I might still go, perhaps you want to as well Ensay?"

It's taking a lot of energy not to reply with: "You're being given two hours back, just bloody take it and stop finding reasons for you and me to attend!" 🤣 She's either got nothing better to do or she's trying to impress. If you want to do that, fine, but leave me out of it.
In a previous life, I had a manager who loved to know what other departments were doing. So he would send one of us to a meeting we had no business being in. Everyone would be trying to look all cool and not challenge me for fear that I actually belonged there.

After a while, I used to enjoy it as I used to be sent to really important ones where everyone was talking in millions and once had a ringside seat as someone who had been hung out to dry got the coup de grace and had to slink out of the meeting halfway through.

Mind you, in a different job, I got sick of the interminable meetings, sometimes 2-3 each day that went on for over an hour apiece. I was getting behind on my work so, 5 minutes before the meeting start time, I would disappear into the toilets and emerge 5 minutes after the meeting had started. I figured, if anyone wanted me, they'd come and get me. I was there for two years and was never once ordered into a single meeting.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Oh I ignored the messages and declined the calls, I know for a fact there are other people in my role in today that could have been asked. The calls were to my personal number too! I'm quite firm on boundaries, the second I leave the office I switch my work phone off and I don't check emails outside of work ever. I think because some colleagues make sure they can always be contacted there is an expectation for the rest of us to be like that :rolleyes:
It's a pain in the arse when some colleagues decide to go "above and beyond". There's a group at my work that answer messages at all hours and it does create the expectation that the rest of us follow suit, even though on the face of it everyone says "oh there's no need to do that"

Fortunately there's now way you'd catch me doing that, once I log off I'm off!

This is the reason I refuse to download Teams on my mobile, because otherwise I'll get calls and chats and notifications etc on my days off.

Reactions: 3
My delightful colleague has struck again. They did a couple of training sessions on reports I built while I was on annual leave. I'd been invited, had declined but added it to my calendar so I was able to see the chat from both sessions. They took credit for everything in the report, despite having absolutely no part in anything to do with them, and then suggested individuals come to a session I've organised for my team which is a knowledge share for a system, not a training session. They said it was another training session and now I'm getting inundated with requests. They also had the cheek to put in a recurring session for me to help with a report they were supposed to build over a year ago, even suggesting that she alter my data model so she can just copy it. Roll on my mat leave!

• Wow
Reactions: 1
A specific colleague/manager has been told by several managers this week that I’m covering for someone’s absence and that it means I have taken on additional work which more or less takes the whole day

He has insisted that I do his training - half of which I already have done previously - and that he sets me tasks. The tasks didn’t get completed and I set the expectation that they wouldn’t, he then tried to involve another manager who explained the situation to him again

To think he’s the manager that didn’t delegate me any work when I had capacity 😅

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.