Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #6

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone has left a task late.... And the task needs alot of input from me. On Weds I didn't even know this task existed.

Now that it's the end of the week before Christmas they want to know 'if there's any chance we can get this wrapped up before the Christmas break'. Ha ha ha ha!

Reactions: 2
We had a message sent out to all staff wishing us all happy holidays for the festive season. It made me feel annoyed that they couldn't mention the word Christmas given that the place I work is always banging on about diversity and inclusion. They celebrate every other religious festival known to mankind but God forbid anyone says Christmas 😤

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
This is halfway between a rant and a colleague thing but I got into the office for Job 2 yesterday and our manager had left a box of celebrations for the zero hours staff and bottles of wine for the permanent staff. It made me and several others really cross.

The three permanent staff are a nightmare - always off sick, always disappearing and no one knows where they are, don’t answer their phones to the office staff so they don’t get tasks given to them, generally unhelpful and obnoxious. Because the organisation is so inept at HR, they’ve allowed a situation to develop over the last year where the zero hours people are the ones who have essentially kept the place running. We’ve come in at short notice to cover sick leave, we’ve put up with being bullied by some of the permanent ones, we’ve been proactive and got a load of stuff done which wouldn’t have been done otherwise and we’ve given up our free time to help out during emergencies. The manager knows all of this, yet she still left a single box of sweets for the zero hours and bottles of wine for the people who do the least work. Talk about not reading the room.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
We had a message sent out to all staff wishing us all happy holidays for the festive season. It made me feel annoyed that they couldn't mention the word Christmas given that the place I work is always banging on about diversity and inclusion. They celebrate every other religious festival known to mankind but God forbid anyone says Christmas 😤
Yep same here. Pisses me off.

Reactions: 4
Providing tea, coffee and milk for the staffroom but refusing to by soft drinks for people who don't drink the above.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Providing tea, coffee and milk for the staffroom but refusing to by soft drinks for people who don't drink the above.
Our problem is managers are favourites are allowed tea and coffee when they work but is outcasts get whinged at if we have it on us

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Last year the big boss bought me a box of chocolates for Christmas. I had to give them away as they had dairy in them and I can't have dairy. This year he bought me a box of vegan truffles. Had to give them to my husband to eat as they have alcohol in them. I'm teetotal and currently 30 weeks pregnant. He knows I'm dairy free and he also knows I'm pregnant so I guess it's nice he tried 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 5
My employer gave us nothing for the holidays except a communal meal in the break room. Last year we got a grocery store gift card.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Secrecy.

Yesterday, I found out something was happening on our land which had been organised by management but not communicated to our team. Our team have been going onto the land as part of our job and potentially being in danger as a result. I immediately raised it to management as a safety risk and was told that they had no idea we were doing the task on that land. Except several people had emailed them, firstly to ask for guidance on the issue, then having received no response, to advise that we were doing it.

I was specifically told by the manager I contacted not to tell anyone else. Except I have to because there are others who will be going to the location to perform the same task and need to be aware of the potential danger.

FFS, just bleeping communicate with your employees.

• Wow
Secrecy.

Yesterday, I found out something was happening on our land which had been organised by management but not communicated to our team. Our team have been going onto the land as part of our job and potentially being in danger as a result. I immediately raised it to management as a safety risk and was told that they had no idea we were doing the task on that land. Except several people had emailed them, firstly to ask for guidance on the issue, then having received no response, to advise that we were doing it.

I was specifically told by the manager I contacted not to tell anyone else. Except I have to because there are others who will be going to the location to perform the same task and need to be aware of the potential danger.

FFS, just bleeping communicate with your employees.

That's sounding like you might need 1. Union membership and 2. Details of any relevant whistleblowing, as if one of those employees gets hurt, it's almost a foregone conclusion that management will deny it/blame you.

Reactions: 3
A member of my team was on annual leave yesterday for the day so the temp asked me a question which I couldn't help with, she then answered with 'ok no problem, i will call her it's ok hehe'

No you won't, she's on annual leave and can deal with it tomorrow. Why do people automatically think that calling/texting people whilst on annual leave is ok?

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
recently found this thread, and have enjoyed all your posts and can relate to a lot of them.

My team at work are just all awful people, snakey, rude and just generally not nice (a shame as it’s a great company and literally every one else is amazing) so I will probably have plenty of stories for you all.

but todays rant - we all have set roles, changing weekly, occasionally they may cross over.
Today I had a lot to clear from the Christmas period and let’s call them Karen - Karen messages me and says a lot of my crap is from stuff they got wrong yesterday and will fix. Great, thanks! They then give me a list of what is “new” and actually for me.

I am going through the list and pop away from desk (I’m WFH)I then continue working and I get a mention in the group “Pommy I’ve done this for you not sure why you haven’t, it is valid are you struggling” I said I’d just done it as it’s on my list and that I will delete theirs. I get “Well I did it because your teams said you away and I didn’t know what you were doing”

The deadline is 3pm, this was at 12. Would you duck off. In future I’ll let you know when I pop for a tit.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
A member of my team was on annual leave yesterday for the day so the temp asked me a question which I couldn't help with, she then answered with 'ok no problem, i will call her it's ok hehe'

No you won't, she's on annual leave and can deal with it tomorrow. Why do people automatically think that calling/texting people whilst on annual leave is ok?
That's crazy! Is she young and doesn't understand workplace etiquette?

In my old job, if I even took 1 day off I'd often get calls asking me things - no one wanted to use their initiative or tell people to wait for something to be progressed.

It ended up with a really unhealthy culture - managers were taking their work phones with them on holidays and my manager once had a heart operation but told us 'I'll probably be round from the anaesthetic about 2pm so will have my work phone on from then' - wtf!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 16
I've received emails from the Supply Chain manager at 11:30 pm on Saturday nights. I of course don't actually see them until I sign in on Monday morning, but I think to myself "step away from the laptop, lady, and try relaxing on the weekend!" Are people just that obsessed with their jobs???

• Wow
It's crazy when people send emails that late! On the rare occasion I have been working late, or logged on on a Sunday to check something - I'd set the emails to send at 7am the next day - the recipient won't see it til then anyway. I don't want to give off the impression I live for work or am struggling with my workload.

These 2am emailers don't see what a bad impression it makes when they send emails at weird times! You end up wondering what's going on in their lives.

I worked with a Quantity Surveyor who would send spreadsheets through at 3am. He said he had a young baby so was up then anyway. He was a consultant on an hourly rate, and we were the client - in the end we had a word with his manager and said we don't want him working on something as important as our invoice figures (in the millions) at 3am while sleep deprived!

Reactions: 5
It's crazy when people send emails that late! On the rare occasion I have been working late, or logged on on a Sunday to check something - I'd set the emails to send at 7am the next day - the recipient won't see it til then anyway. I don't want to give off the impression I live for work or am struggling with my workload.

These 2am emailers don't see what a bad impression it makes when they send emails at weird times! You end up wondering what's going on in their lives.

I worked with a Quantity Surveyor who would send spreadsheets through at 3am. He said he had a young baby so was up then anyway. He was a consultant on an hourly rate, and we were the client - in the end we had a word with his manager and said we don't want him working on something as important as our invoice figures (in the millions) at 3am while sleep deprived!
I'm on the fence about this. Some people work better at night and some do have alternative working hours due to other commitments. At my work you're expected to make it clear in your email signature that you have a different than standard working pattern and don't expect a response outside normal working hours.

People should have flexibility to work when they want I think, within reason obviously as in some jobs you have to be in when others are, at least some of the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’ve been in a new job around 3 weeks.
I still don’t have all the tools I need and am having to make do.
I’ve had no training. The role isn’t new to me, but many of the practices are. The manager should have pinned the person I’m working with down to a committed session of briefing properly on the job.
Instead, said manager has barely spoken to me since my first day!
I’m also being given extra projects with again no training and minimal explanation as to what is expected.
I’m having to try and look online for training resources because nobody can really help me!

• Sad
recently found this thread, and have enjoyed all your posts and can relate to a lot of them.

My team at work are just all awful people, snakey, rude and just generally not nice (a shame as it’s a great company and literally every one else is amazing) so I will probably have plenty of stories for you all.

but todays rant - we all have set roles, changing weekly, occasionally they may cross over.
Today I had a lot to clear from the Christmas period and let’s call them Karen - Karen messages me and says a lot of my crap is from stuff they got wrong yesterday and will fix. Great, thanks! They then give me a list of what is “new” and actually for me.

I am going through the list and pop away from desk (I’m WFH)I then continue working and I get a mention in the group “Pommy I’ve done this for you not sure why you haven’t, it is valid are you struggling” I said I’d just done it as it’s on my list and that I will delete theirs. I get “Well I did it because your teams said you away and I didn’t know what you were doing”

The deadline is 3pm, this was at 12. Would you duck off. In future I’ll let you know when I pop for a tit.
Ah yes the old ‘I’m going to try and make you look incompetent/skiving’ masquerading as ‘Look at me, I’m being helpful’ 🙄🙄🙄