Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have a talker on our team but she’s actually funny and a decent sort. Trouble is she’s also magic… She manages to get TONS done (genuinely) while gabbing away and we are all chatting and laughing, then she leaves slightly early to pick up her child and I’m just sat there, in silence, with a pile of work. I’m jealous tbh 🫠

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I work in a small office and one colleague has been trying to organise a night out for months and I'm really running out of excuses. I like her but not enough to hang out outside of a work environment and it seems everyone is the same because people keep fobbing her off. There's only 4 of us in this office so surely she'd have picked up by now no one wants to go.
She's super sensitive (always talks about her relationship problems) so I do feel a bit mean 😅

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Is there a thread to talk about how we hate our jobs and need to escape?

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Is there a thread to talk about how we hate our jobs and need to escape?
Here it is!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
We have a talker on our team but she’s actually funny and a decent sort. Trouble is she’s also magic… She manages to get TONS done (genuinely) while gabbing away and we are all chatting and laughing, then she leaves slightly early to pick up her child and I’m just sat there, in silence, with a pile of work. I’m jealous tbh 🫠
I'm wondering if this is me 😂😂 I talk loads, but I get everything done. Imagine what I'd do if I shut up 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I'm currently being told I've not done something and we're running out of time to get it done.

Only I actually have done it, tested it and have the results in front of me.

This person is looking at an old version from before I made my changes. Which of course isn't updated with everything I've done!

I've now given up pointing this out. A long call and a whole day of messaging back and forth has been no use. Theres only so many ways you can tell them to bleeping refresh. duck them all.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Someone in my team was asked to pull some data together and has massively overcomplicated it as per and spent days on it. So I get a few hours to try and simplify it as it’s needed by the end of today 🤬

Reactions: 3
I understand your frustration but think about why it's usually managers who did this. Yes, it could be a power thing or sheer laziness on their part but it could also be that that manager has been in back to back meetings all day. Or they've been firefighting urgent problems. They may not have had a minute all day to even look at their emails. I speak from bitter experience, I really do my best for my team but some days I just can't get anywhere near my emails until the end of the day.
Nope; in my case it was because the people involved would spend all day farting about doing other stuff - including going off and playing business house sport and standing around the coffee machine chatting - when I was very clear (as the Bid Manager) what had to be done and by when. It meant I'd spend until 2am/3am doing what had to be done, but still be expected to turn up looking focused and professional by 8am. Thank goodness those days are over.
---
I hate phantom shitters. We used to have one that stunk the place out and left it looking like a Jackson Pollock painting but a few of us women got together and deduced who it was-some stinker from another floor who used to come down to poo then waft back up to his own floor with no one the wiser.
Ohhhh we had one of those in a building I worked in many years ago. She worked in the same building but for a different company (five floors up). As well as leaving the toilet in an absolutely disgusting and stinky state (we had air freshener that would automatically produce spray every minute or so but it was never strong enough), she'd leave foundation/fake tan - whatever it was, it was brown and stinky - in the sink and over the countertops. We ended up installing a number lock on the toilet door to deter her!
---
Yep. I hate having a call when it’s something easily dealt with via email!
I had a manager who used to tell people off for sending emails all the time - "Get up and go and talk to them," he'd say. Well, that's all very nice but if you work with 🐍s where having emails to back a situation up are most helpful, it doesn't really fly.
---
I'm annoyed with the lady who worked the late shift in this coffee cart last night. She's moved everything that was on the left, to the right; and everything that was on the right, to the left. She also called our telco to get the ordering text messages sent to her phone - meaning they didn't come through to the cart phone this morning. This is the second time she's called the telco to do this - not only is it unauthorised (we would never agree to this!), but it costs money. I told her off the first time, and thought we were on the same page but now she's done it again I'm going to have to issue a warning. I hate being the bad guy! The moving of everything around isn't such a big deal but there's no clear reason for it.
My staffer has resigned! So that fixes that problem. She's met some guy who's been here on a working visa which is about to run out, so she's going to head to his home land with him and see how it works out. I'm really excited for her! I don't think for a moment that her diverting the text messages to her own phone was done maliciously ... she probably just thought it was easier to only have to watch one phone (she spends her life on her own phone). As for the moving of things around ... well, maybe she just got bored or something.

Last edited:
I agree with this. I think it can sometimes be a culture thing. At my workplace, almost everyone starts emails with "Hi name", but we work with a third party and a lot of their staff start emails with just "Name". When I first started working with them I thought it was direct and a bit rude (some of their staff can be that way) but I think it's just what they're used to.

Mind you, I also work with someone who never starts emails with a greeting and never adds a sign off! She just launches straight into what she wants to say and that's it. So most of her emails are just one paragraph of text.

She's often involved in document approvals and will come back with suggested edits. The only problem is she never accepts anything other than someone taking all of her edits on board. So, even if you've got a really good reason not to make an edit that she's suggested, she just replies with a repeat of the edit she wants. Then, even worse, sometimes when you've made all her suggested edits and ask her for final approval she'll come back with more comments that she didn't raise the first time. I once had to escalate to someone senior and he just replied with: "these are now classed as approved, we've all had ample opportunity to comment and every relevant comment has been addressed". She didn't like it. 😂
we regularly get emails from another firm we deal with were the sender starts the email with the word "Hey" not hi x , good morning etc . It really riles me as i think it comes across as aggressive and as a result we normally leave there request till last 🤣

Supply Chain hired a few new people (because they can't keep employees) but haven't bothered training them properly. So they keep asking me for things that are either unnecessary or are readily available to them. And I have to waste time replying to them explaining they don't need this or that or where to find the info they're asking for. It's fine when I'm not busy but when I get 40 files dumped on me I don't have time to hand hold.

Reactions: 2
I am about to combust today.

My previous manager (the misogynistic one I endlessly complained about before my internal transfer), approached me on Monday last week asking me for assistance with something. Tough luck, I was OOO.

I returned today and saw his message from last week on Teams but didn’t respond. He saw me online today and pinged me saying “I need your assistance with X, did you see my ?”.

I was swamped with work as it’s my first day back from a full week OOO. I responded to him saying “Is it urgent or can it wait tomorrow? I am quite swamped today”.

His response was: “Fine tomorrow, but it has to be tomorrow”.

Is he serious? I don’t work for that team no more! I left months ago and this would be a favor I’m doing them because it’s nothing to do with my direct work from when I was there. Does he think I’m at his beck and call when I have my own work to do in my new team?! Making demands in such a nasty tone. Why is it they couldn’t be bothered to figure it out themselves in a full week?

I cannot believe this. I will have to clear this with my new manager to see if it is OK to assist (due to conflict of interest). On my first day back from leave, I have a migraine and worked up. Imagine being treated poorly by a team you’ve already left.

I’m at the same level as him now, so there’s no hierarchy gap.

Part of me wants to escalate to his own manager highlighting the unreasonableness of it all but it will own Pandora’s box.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I'd speak with your manager and tbh I wouldn't be rushing to do him any favours.
Otherwise you will be back where you started as regards that guy. You moved away for a reason and if memory serves me correctly, he did you dirty with your appraisal into the bargain. I would be looking at him as though he had two heads if he approached me. He thinks he has found an easy way out by lumping a piece of work onto you, that he doesn't know how to do/ can't be arsed doing. Nope.

Lack of preparation on his part does not constitute an emergency on yours - as the saying goes.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thank you @ChastityDingle.

You told me the exact same thing my friend told me earlier today “you’re about to do him a favor when he gave you a laughable year end rating. Please remember that”.

My new manager knows his attitude and when I joined, they asked me to tell notify them if my previous manager ever reaches out to me for any work related queries. I debated whether to tell my new manager, but they explicitly asked me notify them so if I do him a favor without telling the new manager, they won’t like it.

5 business days later and he hasn’t been bothered to figure it out himself. Now he’s making his problem mine by putting pressure on me. The audacity. He seems to forget he’s not my manager anymore.

I was absolutely shocked when he responded to me rudely instead of being appreciative that I’m bothered to respond on my first day back. I had to put myself in do not disturb after he responded to avoid further nonsense.

I don’t need this toxicity in my life. As you said, I left for a reason.

Reactions: 6
Lack of preparation on his part does not constitute an emergency on yours - as the saying goes.
I love this! I have said, "Your priorities are not my priorities" in the past, but this sounds way better.
---
I love this! I have said, "Your priorities are not my priorities" in the past, but this sounds way better.
---
My new manager knows his attitude and when I joined, they asked me to tell notify them if my previous manager ever reaches out to me for any work related queries. I debated whether to tell my new manager, but they explicitly asked me notify them so if I do him a favor without telling the new manager, they won’t like it.
Don't for a moment leave your new manager out of the loop. I'd be tempted to do something to make your old manager think twice about asking you for help in the future - tell him that your time is going to come out of his cost centre at double the rate or something. If you make it too easy, he might just keep returning!
---
I'm frustrated with the team of staff we have working at our fish and chip shop.

We have a separate fryer for gluten-free offerings, which is something we introduced to the business when we bought it a few weeks back. It takes a good 20 minutes to heat up and we don't leave it turned on all day unlike the other fryers, because it's costly to run (and most of our GF requests occur at dinner time). The procedure is that it gets turned at 4:30pm and left on until we close.

Our staff keep forgetting to turn the GF fryer on, resulting in lost sales (when people don't want to wait), and unhappy customers (who have to sit there for a lot longer than anticipated). We've communicated to them via staff meetings, and checklists, that this is an important task -- but still they forget. I've started going in just to check it's done which is ridiculous. We've taken to assigning the role of 'Shift Manager' to someone on each shift and made it clear the buck stops with them ... hopefully that will mean the situation improves.

They're fine with everything else to do with the gluten-free offerings (working at a dedicated preparation bench using tools only handling the GF food, etc.), so it's a mystery as to how they keep forgetting about the fryer.

Last edited:
It's much easier to see @TheGlossy when you're outside the situation.
Believe me, I have walked myself into many a thing over the years too. You need to find your anger when it comes to that creep. How DARE he say to you 'it has to be tomorrow' 😡

Picture him at his desk last week, task falls due, 'oh nobody on the team knows how to do it, we are all much too important to do it, Glossy always did it, I'll foist it on her.' High fives all around and let's all get takeaway coffees to celebrate. Now that's sorted back to discussing the rugby or whatever.
I'm exaggerating but if you think of it like that, it might help.

When it comes to dealing with the likes of him, always take a mental step back. 'What's in this for me? Yep, that's right, absolutely nothing, now, GO TO HELL and do your job, you spiteful little tit.' 😡

Here ends today's lecture 😁

• Heart
One of the managers has a job in our UK based office and has a UK contract, yet lives in Slovakia so is on a different time zone (1hr ahead). She has pissed me off today by requesting a series of meetings with my boss (whose calendar I manage) so I schedule them at 4pm because that’s the only time he could do on those specific dates she requested. And she’s declined them all saying it’s 5pm her time and they will be an hour long and it will affect her baby’s bedtime. Sorry but she decided to move to Slovakia, she should still work on a UK time zone in my opinion. Maybe I’m just being overly grouchy today.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.