Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another pet hate from my office days - when you sit around all day waiting for something to come through from someone that absolutely has to be dealt with that day (this usually happened when I was working on proposals), and it comes through just minutes before you're due to finish.

For some people it's because work is their life and they're happy to drag things out and work all night; but for those of us with a life it simply isn't on. It was usually managers who did this, and it sometimes felt as if they were doing it to remind you who's boss.
I understand your frustration but think about why it's usually managers who did this. Yes, it could be a power thing or sheer laziness on their part but it could also be that that manager has been in back to back meetings all day. Or they've been firefighting urgent problems. They may not have had a minute all day to even look at their emails. I speak from bitter experience, I really do my best for my team but some days I just can't get anywhere near my emails until the end of the day.

Reactions: 2
I've said this one before, but it needs saying again. People who book meetings in when my diary clearly shows I've already got a meeting.

It's getting to the point where I think one colleague in particular is doing it deliberately. He's put in a 30 minute meeting on Thursday with me and one other person and it's over another meeting. I've checked and all three of us are free several times throughout the day, but no, he's picked one of the few times we're not.

So it's either deliberate, or he's too stupid to even check availability. Neither one is good.

It's taking me a lot of effort not to send him a snotty message. I'm not going to rise to it, though. 😂
A colleague of mine does this all the time and it’s totally down to stupidity. I’ve shown her how to check in teams using the scheduling tab but apparently it’s too easy and clashes are much more fun!
Another is not realising that on teams when it’s a red dot and says ‘in a call’ it means they’re in a call. Absolutely ridiculous

Reactions: 4
I understand your frustration but think about why it's usually managers who did this. Yes, it could be a power thing or sheer laziness on their part but it could also be that that manager has been in back to back meetings all day. Or they've been firefighting urgent problems. They may not have had a minute all day to even look at their emails. I speak from bitter experience, I really do my best for my team but some days I just can't get anywhere near my emails until the end of the day.
I see both sides of it here - reality is, if a manager can’t commit to giving a piece of work to someone in a timely manner they should not expect it back same day 🤷🏻‍♀️
---
I've said this one before, but it needs saying again. People who book meetings in when my diary clearly shows I've already got a meeting.

It's getting to the point where I think one colleague in particular is doing it deliberately. He's put in a 30 minute meeting on Thursday with me and one other person and it's over another meeting. I've checked and all three of us are free several times throughout the day, but no, he's picked one of the few times we're not.

So it's either deliberate, or he's too stupid to even check availability. Neither one is good.

It's taking me a lot of effort not to send him a snotty message. I'm not going to rise to it, though. 😂
I don’t even suggest alternate times to these meetings, just decline - they get the message eventually 🤣

A colleague of mine does this all the time and it’s totally down to stupidity. I’ve shown her how to check in teams using the scheduling tab but apparently it’s too easy and clashes are much more fun!
Another is not realising that on teams when it’s a red dot and says ‘in a call’ it means they’re in a call. Absolutely ridiculous
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it's stupidity. It's surprising how so many people lack what I consider basic skills.
---
I don’t even suggest alternate times to these meetings, just decline - they get the message eventually 🤣
Yeah I've done that very thing! To be honest, I'm not even needed at the meeting anyway; I think he's using me as a safety blanket. So I've just declined and said my attendance isn't essential.

That's another annoying colleague trait: someone who should know the answer to a question they get asked on a call, but push it in someone else's direction. "I think that's right, but Ensay, what do you think?"

It takes a lot of effort not to reply with: "You should know that yourself, mate."

Reactions: 1
My previous employer stated that managers should not be tied to their laptops all day, but they also required the managers to report production metrics every 15 minutes. Via their laptops. Someone tell me how we're supposed to pull that off 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Can I join this thread to sympathise with all everyone struggling with idiot colleagues, and also to WHINGE about my line manager?

Two weeks ago he starts speaking in a meeting, very clearly losing his voice, but claims 'It's alright, I'm not infectious'.

Several days later I lost my voice and had the sore throat from hell, which lasts for a week or so. Yesterday, I'm finally feeling better, so naturally I have a long face to face meeting with Line Manager, who is snuffling/coughing/clearing his throat. I got a message from him first thing this morning to say that he tested positive for Covid when he got home last night. Of course he bloody did.

I can kill him, right??

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
One of my colleagues who is the IT person in the UK, decided to get himself involved with a facilities project that I was initially running a few months ago (bearing in mind I am the office manager). It was literally nothing to do with him, but I think he was a bit bored and just decided to get involved. Anyway, he ended up running with the project and taking the lead on it. I had several conversations with him where I was like “hey, I know you’re helping out with this and I appreciate it, but could you keep me in the loop about what’s going on?” and he would be like “well I’ve started doing it now so it’s just easier for me to carry on”, etc. He would also have chats with my boss (regional director of the company) about next steps of the project and make decisions with him about it with no involvement from me. I was beginning to get annoyed at being sidelined because it’s under my remit and not his, so I said very nicely to him that I think it’s best if I take over now as it is ultimately my responsibility and it’s not anything IT related. He insisted no, he’s started so it makes sense for him to carry on and then he whinged to the regional director who backed him up. Anyway, last week he got annoyed with it and threw a tantrum and said it’s not his job because he’s IT and it’s a facilities thing, so he isn’t doing it anymore and doesn’t want to hear anything more about it. twit.

• Angry
  • Heart
Please tell me someone on here works nightshift and can relate. I have two colleagues who do this and it puts my back up every time it happens.
We all work permanent nights, 12 hour shifts in healthcare. At times we have paperwork to do and maybe be with a client if they need us, which is often the case. At these times we will be sat down talking just general chat and these people will blatantly sit and speak to you with their eyes closed!! Sometimes feels like working with some druggies. I understand we get tired, when I do I go for a walk or have a coffee. I’ve Tried suggesting both of these and have even opened a window to drop the hint. Anyone else had this or are you a nodder off talker too maybe??

Reactions: 2
Can I join this thread to sympathise with all everyone struggling with idiot colleagues, and also to WHINGE about my line manager?

Two weeks ago he starts speaking in a meeting, very clearly losing his voice, but claims 'It's alright, I'm not infectious'.

Several days later I lost my voice and had the sore throat from hell, which lasts for a week or so. Yesterday, I'm finally feeling better, so naturally I have a long face to face meeting with Line Manager, who is snuffling/coughing/clearing his throat. I got a message from him first thing this morning to say that he tested positive for Covid when he got home last night. Of course he bloody did.

I can kill him, right??
Yes, you can.

"hi emsie" on teams chat. I read it wait for more conversation .... Nothing happens. 10 minutes later I type "hi annoying person" at which point they launch into their chat. Drives me mad. Just put your pleasantries and request all in the one paragraph!

Reactions: 16
When you go to the toilet at work and not only has the person before you done a really stinky tit they've also left huge skid marks in the toilet... which I then obviously had to clean as I didn't want anyone thinking it was me! bleeping disgusting, you really do wonder what is wrong with some people! It's not the first time it's happened either so I suspect it's always the same person...

The second thing is when you feel pressured to come in to the office a certain number of days a week and then when you come in, NOONE from your team is in. What's the point? I should have stayed at home.

Reactions: 10
When you go to the toilet at work and not only has the person before you done a really stinky tit they've also left huge skid marks in the toilet... which I then obviously had to clean as I didn't want anyone thinking it was me! bleeping disgusting, you really do wonder what is wrong with some people! It's not the first time it's happened either so I suspect it's always the same person...

The second thing is when you feel pressured to come in to the office a certain number of days a week and then when you come in, NOONE from your team is in. What's the point? I should have stayed at home.
I hate phantom shitters. We used to have one that stunk the place out and left it looking like a Jackson Pollock painting but a few of us women got together and deduced who it was-some stinker from another floor who used to come down to poo then waft back up to his own floor with no one the wiser.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
"hi emsie" on teams chat. I read it wait for more conversation .... Nothing happens. 10 minutes later I type "hi annoying person" at which point they launch into their chat. Drives me mad. Just put your pleasantries and request all in the one paragraph!
I ignore them until they actually tell me what they want, I’m not paid enough to indulge in false pleasantries

Reactions: 9

This annoys me. Just keep declining it and say you're bust in meetings.

I get Teams calls even when my status says I'm in a meeting and that annoys me too.

I get Teams calls even when my status says I'm in a meeting and that annoys me too.
This annoys me too, it says I am in a call, it's really distracting being called whilst already in a call. Check the status first!

Reactions: 6

Definitely! And generally when the call comes through, I'm mid flow and it makes me falter and consequently look a bit silly.

Today's rant - people who want calls for everything. There's one woman I work with who's terrible for it. I don't mind calls if it needs a fairly lengthy conversation, but this one constantly sends Team messages saying "can you give me a call when you have five minutes please?" and generally when I call her, it's a few quick questions that could have easily been answered via IM. And I have to put up with her inane babble at the start of the call - just get on with it, we don't all have time to waste.

Reactions: 7
Definitely! And generally when the call comes through, I'm mid flow and it makes me falter and consequently look a bit silly.

Today's rant - people who want calls for everything. There's one woman I work with who's terrible for it. I don't mind calls if it needs a fairly lengthy conversation, but this one constantly sends Team messages saying "can you give me a call when you have five minutes please?" and generally when I call her, it's a few quick questions that could have easily been answered via IM. And I have to put up with her inane babble at the start of the call - just get on with it, we don't all have time to waste.
Yep. I hate having a call when it’s something easily dealt with via email!

both of these things are our manager!
the toilet one is rank no reason to leave it like it is for someone else to walk into 🤮 it’s not hard to clean up especially when we’re such a small team!!
And the other calling all the time to other managers 🙄 to get the same answer we’ve already said! Winds us all up!

I cannot stand my manager, even taking a breath pisses me off. Maybe it's all my fault since I've always let things go and sort of built up my anger for her. Something that she recently did was that she booked me for a course that the employer is providing to all staff and SHE CHOSE THE DAYS for me!! I was talking to other colleagues and told me that there was a person in charge phoning everyone asking which day of the week they prefer and it came to my mind that I have never received a call from this person. This morning, since I am at the office with my manager, I told her that others informed me that this person was asking which days they preferred and my managers reply was; "I talked to her". Who bloody gave you this right to chose for me? (to be honest, the day she chose for me is good but my point is communication, I just wanted her to tell me "Hey, I am booking you for that day, is that good for you?")

Recently, the relationship with my manager is going downhill with a fast pace. Every time I am in the office with her I get really depressed cos she spends 8hrs talking about her kids, their schools, teachers, ballet classes, karate classes, timetables, concerts, how intelligent they are etc. NON-STOP for 8hrs except when she asks me when I will finish my task!!!

She is definitely a narcissist as she talks talks talks and when you say something about you/your situation etc. she just starts facing the laptop and ignores you completely. If she hears you talking to your neighbour colleague about something she just interrupts you and asks you something work related pfff.

Sorry just needed to vent.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I hate when someone shares their screen and you see their chats!!

Oi!! Want to bleeping not do that please?!?! I should be able to witch and moan without my chat being exposed to the company because you are a pleb and cannot share your screen correctly!!!

Happy Thursday🤬🤦‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.