Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He is seriously taking the mick now.

I was in a meeting and he pinged me at 10am saying ā€œHi, can you please respond to my query?ā€

Like I have to go digging into my archives and itā€™s clear from his query he is trying to basically tell someone itā€™s not his job to do X and looking for evidence from me to support that.

I donā€™t appreciate this pestering at all and particularly his tone from yesterday. The day is not finished and heā€™s onto me at 10am.

I said ā€œIā€™m swamped at the moment and will dig into my archives laterā€.

Reactions: 3

I was in a meeting and he pinged me at 10am saying ā€œHi, can you please respond to my query?ā€

Like I have to go digging into my archives and itā€™s clear from his query he is trying to basically tell someone itā€™s not his job to do X and looking for evidence from me to support that.

I donā€™t appreciate this pestering at all and particularly his tone from yesterday. The day is not finished and heā€™s onto me at 10am.

I thought you said you don't work for him anymore? So why are you engaging with him. Why not ignore him?

Reactions: 7

Whatā€™s your current manager saying about it?

Has anyone had a colleague - further down the hierarchy - say, "I reckon I could do your job"? How did you deal with it?

It's an interesting one. A friend has to put up with comments along these lines from someone in another team (they sit opposite each other) all the time and she's getting a bit paranoid because this person always makes a beeline for my friend's manager when he heads into the kitchen.

The first time it happened, she brushed it off; but another time when she'd forgotten to add something important in a slide - and her manager came and chatted with her about it - this stirrer tut-tutted and asked her if her heart is in it.

If it was me, I'd pull that person aside and tell her to pull her head in; I'd also request a desk move ... my friend doesn't want to do either, to bring attention to it.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
Some people's office hygiene is vile.

I worked at a client site for a bit a few years ago and sat next to a guy who never, ever washed his cup - he would just make hot drinks in it over and over again. He also used to store his gym gear under his desk and it smelt vile.

Other people would leave bowls in the sink filled with water and a lot of food scraps that were floating to the surface - I mean, who even does that?!

The ladies' toilets were always something else. Most of the women were impeccably groomed, yet the way they left the toilets - paper on the floor, water everywhere - on the counters, the mirror, the floor - was shocking. The company (very generously!) supplied hairdryers and hair straighteners which were hard-wired into the wall; within weeks they were broken.
---
We used to have hand cream, perfume etc in the womens loos and they stopped doing it because by EOD it would always be stolen/taken.

Once I saw a used tampon ON TOP of the sanitary bin. On a separate occasion there was a poo between the bin and the loo.

What I donā€™t get is isnā€™t the risk factor too high? Like, doing that is a fireable offense if your manager happened to enter the bathroom and used the same loo? How embarrassing anyway šŸ˜¬

Once I had a very glam, very scary manager. She was in a cubicle for like 15 mins and when she left it smelled of the most horrible poo. I was never in awe of her again and used to silently giggle when she tried to play sophisticated scary boss šŸ˜†

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
I thought you said you don't work for him anymore? So why are you engaging with him. Why not ignore him?
It sounds like he is harrassing. I would be ignoring him/reporting him to be honest because he is interfering with the new role. That man should not have that power. Time to ignore.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It sounds like he is harrassing. I would be ignoring him/reporting him to be honest because he is interfering with the new role. That man should not have that power. Time to ignore.
Exactly. If Glossy had left the company rather than moving teams he wouldnā€™t be able to do this.

• Heart
Mine is so petty but the bloke at work is the loudest eater I've ever heard. It gives me the rage when I hear him get his lunch out as I just know what's coming for the next 20 minutes. Slurping, crunching really loud, smashing his fork into it 200000 times. I've started leaving the room when he's eating as most of the time it's just me and him in the office and there's not enough background noise to cover it. He also shakes his leg constantly which rattles my desk so I've moved even further away from him, and don't even get me started on how noisy he is using the tape dispenser. Luckily I'm leaving soon:LOL:

• Sick
  • Haha
Mine is so petty but the bloke at work is the loudest eater I've ever heard. It gives me the rage when I hear him get his lunch out as I just know what's coming for the next 20 minutes. Slurping, crunching really loud, smashing his fork into it 200000 times. I've started leaving the room when he's eating as most of the time it's just me and him in the office and there's not enough background noise to cover it. He also shakes his leg constantly which rattles my desk so I've moved even further away from him, and don't even get me started on how noisy he is using the tape dispenser. Luckily I'm leaving soon:LOL:
I sat opposite his twin. Not lunch but the morning scone and coffee, I almost required sedation to endure the slurping and slopping that went on for at least an hour, every morning. šŸ¤¢ Sometimes I left my desk but couldn't leave for an hour at a time. Also that leg shaking thing, and pounding his keyboard with his fists - or at least that is what it sounded like!

• Sick
Reactions: 3
I find it annoying when my colleagues message me on Teams on my day off. My out of office is on, I am absolutely not going to respond to you until I'm back in tomorrow. Go away.

I sat opposite his twin. Not lunch but the morning scone and coffee, I almost required sedation to endure the slurping and slopping that went on for at least an hour, every morning. šŸ¤¢ Sometimes I left my desk but couldn't leave for an hour at a time. Also that leg shaking thing, and pounding his keyboard with his fists - or at least that is what it sounded like!
I always wonder if they know how loud they are and just don't care, or if they genuinely don't realise? Nobody else here eats like that. Surely when he's chomping his crisps like a hippo eating a lettuce he must realise that it's not normal and nobody else is that loud

Reactions: 2
I always wonder if they know how loud they are and just don't care, or if they genuinely don't realise? Nobody else here eats like that. Surely when he's chomping his crisps like a hippo eating a lettuce he must realise that it's not normal and nobody else is that loud
This guy was unaware but also didn't care, I think.
He was a fifty something year old manchild who thought he was hilarious, in general.
I would say he imagined himself to be a lovable eccentric or something.šŸ™„

Reactions: 1
I worked with a leg jiggler and often they donā€™t know theyā€™re doing it. I stopped them by just saying my desk keeps shaking/vibrating would you mind stopping and it does work. Better to say something than suffer in silence šŸ˜¬

Reactions: 5
I worked with a leg jiggler and often they donā€™t know theyā€™re doing it. I stopped them by just saying my desk keeps shaking/vibrating would you mind stopping and it does work. Better to say something than suffer in silence šŸ˜¬
Iā€™m an unintentional leg jiggler, always stop when I realise. I wouldnā€™t mind if someone asked me to stop.

Follow up on my above situation:

As Iā€™d mentioned before, he got rude on my first day back from OOO demanding that the archive digging exercise be done by the following day (ā€œit has to be tomorrowā€). I worked until 7pm that day to close off a deliverable in my current team, so he wasnā€™t on my priority list at all. Following morning, he chased me I explained I was swamped.

At that point, I had enough an escalated to my manager because how dare he be demanding a short turnaround and chasing me repeatedly when I just got back from leave and donā€™t work for him no more.

My manager then reached out to him and told him that moving forward any work queries be routed through them first because thatā€™s protocol for internal hires. He spoke to me rudely when I said I couldnā€™t deliver right then and there, so he honestly had it coming. I had to tolerate his rudeness while under his management but not anymore.

The undue negativity and pressure I experienced on Monday was unacceptable. I left that team with the intent of leaving that toxicity behind, not have it follow me into this new team. I had to nip this in the bud because I knew this would open a floodgate of ridiculous queries (especially as they havenā€™t replaced me).

To be clear: He was my manager, so I had to be ā€œniceā€ to him and professional. Iā€™m not his friend.

Last edited:
Follow up on my above situation:

As Iā€™d mentioned before, he got rude on my first day back from OOO demanding that the archive digging exercise be done by the following day (ā€œit has to be tomorrowā€). I worked until 7pm that day to close off a deliverable in my current team, so he wasnā€™t on my priority list at all. Following morning, he chased me I explained I was swamped.

At that point, I had enough an escalated to my manager because how dare he be demanding a short turnaround and chasing me repeatedly when I just got back from leave and donā€™t work for him no more.

My manager then reached out to him and told him that moving forward any work queries be routed through them first because thatā€™s protocol for internal hires. He spoke to me rudely when I said I couldnā€™t deliver right then and there, so he honestly had it coming. I had to tolerate his rudeness while under his management but not anymore.

The undue negativity and pressure I experienced on Monday was unacceptable. I left that team with the intent of leaving that toxicity behind, not have it follow me into this new team. I had to nip this in the bud because I knew this would open a floodgate of ridiculous queries (especially as they havenā€™t replaced me).

To be clear: He was my manager, so I had to be ā€œniceā€ to him and professional. Iā€™m not his friend.
Well done on getting your new manager to tell him to route requests properly. Hopefully with time that will stop him contacting you.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.