Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I often do thank them if I think they have been especially efficient, it costs nothing, and I am sure they will be happy.
I did :) I emailed back to thank them and they even acknowledged the thank you 😊

I could have wrote this myself. My brain is constantly like ' dont be weird, dont say this, dont say that'. I have a check up meeting with my manager tomorrow and i was thinking about mentioning but i don't know what to say really. All the advice us going to be is give it time because I only just started. I don't see it getting better though
It’s hard isn’t it? I wish I could offer some advice. For me personally, I’ve found that it’s a waste of time and energy to try to explain to some people how you feel.
And I’ve also been in some places where, just when I’ve given up on breaking the ice, something happens and there’s suddenly a breakthrough.
I hope that if all else fails you can take something valuable in terms of knowledge and experience from where you are now and move on to somewhere where you feel happier.
It’s bloody difficult when you think about it though - as was said upthread; it’s like being at school your whole life :(

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
People sticking their nose into your business when it's really nothing to do with them.i work a part time sales job and have done since it had my son some years ago. I make more in basic and commission than I used to In my middle management job at the same company. I've spent years making thousands of calls to get the clients I've got now. I work hard I don't take breaks apart from to grab a coffee as I'm so motivated by my commission. New kitchen won't buy itself. But there's one colleague who's quite frankly tit at sales and has about 5 vape breaks a day and works full time hours that can't work out why my sales are so high and there's out and rather than accept their faults is questioning my integrity and even asked if we can 50/50 customers sometimes. Absolutely not forge your own client base.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
People sticking their nose into your business when it's really nothing to do with them.i work a part time sales job and have done since it had my son some years ago. I make more in basic and commission than I used to In my middle management job at the same company. I've spent years making thousands of calls to get the clients I've got now. I work hard I don't take breaks apart from to grab a coffee as I'm so motivated by my commission. New kitchen won't buy itself. But there's one colleague who's quite frankly tit at sales and has about 5 vape breaks a day and works full time hours that can't work out why my sales are so high and there's out and rather than accept their faults is questioning my integrity and even asked if we can 50/50 customers sometimes. Absolutely not forge your own client base.
I think sales just comes naturally to some people. If you’re knowledgeable, genuine, kind and consistent it pays off. You’ve built the position you’re in now! Well done. Actually reading this makes me want to go back to sales x

p.S. want to split half your clients? Just kidding ha x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I did :) I emailed back to thank them and they even acknowledged the thank you 😊

It’s hard isn’t it? I wish I could offer some advice. For me personally, I’ve found that it’s a waste of time and energy to try to explain to some people how you feel.
And I’ve also been in some places where, just when I’ve given up on breaking the ice, something happens and there’s suddenly a breakthrough.
I hope that if all else fails you can take something valuable in terms of knowledge and experience from where you are now and move on to somewhere where you feel happier.
It’s bloody difficult when you think about it though - as was said upthread; it’s like being at school your whole life :(
I agree. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes you discover that there are others who are feeling like a fish out of water too.
After a bout of ill health a few years ago, I ended up in a very hostile set up on my return. Not personally hostile to me, necessarily but it sure as hell felt like it. Awful place, full of fake sh1te.

But as time went on, I discovered decent human beings there. We were outnumbered by the toxic beings but we survived despite them.

Reactions: 3
I’m so sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but I don’t agree with this viewpoint literally at all apart from the 50/50 client thing. I will say that sounds like a sarcastic joke on his part to me, but I’m not you, I have no idea.

Some of the things you’re saying just makes me think of the person that brags they did 3 hours overtime and glares at the person that leaves bang on at 5pm. To me, that’s a bad work/life balance on the person doing overtime’s part as well as a lack organisation or you need to speak to your manager about workload. Not having a lunch is not a flex. Please don’t put yourself on a pedestal because you think you’re better than somebody else. People are allowed to take breaks and if you feel so strongly about them being tit at their job role, develop them, give them tips on how to do better, or tell their manager that ‘X asked me how to do this, I think he would benefit from doing this,’ if you don’t think it’s in your job role to develop them. It’s also not in your job role to witch about them.

One of the things that I’ve learnt in the 18 months or so I’ve been in my current job role is come up with solutions instead of moaning. Yes everyone witches to their teams about things, but it’s risky as it can drain people and negativity will spread if the bitchiness becomes too regular. In turn this will kill motivation and then there will be more people like the person you are describing. It’s a vicious circle.

Just focus on yourself, it’s great you’re doing a good job. Just drop the arrogance, it might come back to bite you.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I’m so sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but I don’t agree with this viewpoint literally at all apart from the 50/50 client thing. I will say that sounds like a sarcastic joke on his part to me, but I’m not you, I have no idea.

Some of the things you’re saying just makes me think of the person that brags they did 3 hours overtime and glares at the person that leaves bang on at 5pm. To me, that’s a bad work/life balance on the person doing overtime’s part as well as a lack organisation or you need to speak to your manager about workload. Not having a lunch is not a flex. Please don’t put yourself on a pedestal because you think you’re better than somebody else. People are allowed to take breaks and if you feel so strongly about them being tit at their job role, develop them, give them tips on how to do better, or tell their manager that ‘X asked me how to do this, I think he would benefit from doing this,’ if you don’t think it’s in your job role to develop them. It’s also not in your job role to witch about them.

One of the things that I’ve learnt in the 18 months or so I’ve been in my current job role is come up with solutions instead of moaning. Yes everyone witches to their teams about things, but it’s risky as it can drain people and negativity will spread if the bitchiness becomes too regular. In turn this will kill motivation and then there will be more people like the person you are describing. It’s a vicious circle.

Just focus on yourself, it’s great you’re doing a good job. Just drop the arrogance, it might come back to bite you.
I mean, this is a thread where people can complain about their coworkers? I didn't get the same impressions as you from their post, all they said is when they're at work, they work. Not their job to support their coworkers in their role if the coworker doesn't try themselves

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

No arrogance. I work part time so there's no flexing about a lunch. I don't work enough hours a day to get one. Absolutely don't glare at anyone leaving on time I won't stay a minute past my hours unless I'm talking to a client. The solution is for the person to get better at sales. Make more calls and don't go out for multiple 10 minute vape breaks outside your alloted break hours. All of which isn't my job to tell them. I keep myself to myself. Sales is a braggy job to be honest. We all congratulate each other and create a buzzing atmosphere if you can't sell enough to reach a good band of commision don't bring me down. Leave and work another job. Can't take the heat duck off out of the kitchen. You sound a bit like you'd be a downer so perhaps you're projecting onto me. I'm bitching on tattle not to the person in question. Also wtf would I develop them it's a sale job I'm not getting commision to sit side by siding someone. Especially someone who's been quite snide to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
That one member of staff who is usually fairly older than everyone else, bald, single and thinks he's the life of the party. And when work dries up he'll play the same old tit pranks or say the same borderline sexist jokes and it becomes physically painful to fake laugh any longer at them. The amount of times I've wanted to pull an original prank back is unreal but I can't bring myself to cope with the tit revenge prank and once you start that's it :cautious:😆

• Haha
No arrogance. I work part time so there's no flexing about a lunch. I don't work enough hours a day to get one. Absolutely don't glare at anyone leaving on time I won't stay a minute past my hours unless I'm talking to a client. The solution is for the person to get better at sales. Make more calls and don't go out for multiple 10 minute vape breaks outside your alloted break hours. All of which isn't my job to tell them. I keep myself to myself. Sales is a braggy job to be honest. We all congratulate each other and create a buzzing atmosphere if you can't sell enough to reach a good band of commision don't bring me down. Leave and work another job. Can't take the heat duck off out of the kitchen. You sound a bit like you'd be a downer so perhaps you're projecting onto me. I'm bitching on tattle not to the person in question. Also wtf would I develop them it's a sale job I'm not getting commision to sit side by siding someone. Especially someone who's been quite snide to me.
Not a downer and not projecting just sharing my opinion. Still stick by my points. You’re clearly good at your job and wish you all the luck!

Reactions: 1
I discovered today that my strange workplace is one of those that frowns upon people working from home if they have cold and 'flu symptoms ... ummm, isn't that what we're meant to do in this Covid era ... stay home, don't pass on bugs to others, and test regularly whilst symptomatic?
Same here. There's no sense about it . Given they have kicked up a fuss, it just means calling in sick and being off completely if that's the way they want to play it. We're on a hybrid model but they are focusing on getting everyone in the office as much as possible

• Wow
I need some validation please. I've started looking for jobs and my manager, who is leaving, is helping me. My immediate colleagues don't know I'm looking but they suspect it because I'm constantly miserable - we all are - however they keep trying to convince me to stick it out because "it'll get better" - I've been doing that for months and things have only got worse. We get no respect as a team, get last minute demands from people higher up, including being told by our director that we need to drop our own work and "make time" to help another department with at least a day's work for them - without going into too much detail, this other team have been lying for months about some work that affects us, but now we're expected to help them out. They've never been confronted about lying and we have never received an apology from anyone higher up for the fact that when we raised them not doing said work, we were told we must be mistaken because they'd done it - they hadn't. Workload is massive, an occupational therapist told us recently that our bench and tit chair setup is damaging our backs yet the director doesn't care. Manager is halfway through their notice yet nothing has been done to replace them, nor has anyone come to speak to us about it to tell us what they're planning on doing. I keep getting told it might be worse somewhere else - yeah, but it also might be better. Am I being rash?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I've never known a workplace like that turn around without wholesale change from the top, and even then it may take years. Stick to your guns.

I need some validation please. I've started looking for jobs and my manager, who is leaving, is helping me. My immediate colleagues don't know I'm looking but they suspect it because I'm constantly miserable - we all are - however they keep trying to convince me to stick it out because "it'll get better" - I've been doing that for months and things have only got worse. We get no respect as a team, get last minute demands from people higher up, including being told by our director that we need to drop our own work and "make time" to help another department with at least a day's work for them - without going into too much detail, this other team have been lying for months about some work that affects us, but now we're expected to help them out. They've never been confronted about lying and we have never received an apology from anyone higher up for the fact that when we raised them not doing said work, we were told we must be mistaken because they'd done it - they hadn't. Workload is massive, an occupational therapist told us recently that our bench and tit chair setup is damaging our backs yet the director doesn't care. Manager is halfway through their notice yet nothing has been done to replace them, nor has anyone come to speak to us about it to tell us what they're planning on doing. I keep getting told it might be worse somewhere else - yeah, but it also might be better. Am I being rash?
You're definitely doing the right thing by looking to leave, it says a lot that the whole team are miserable.

Those who gossip about you thinking you can’t hear them because you’re sitting in another corner. Guess what? I can hear you.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I got a job offer today. Will finally be leaving my toxic manager behind. Have a ridiculously long notice period but there is an end in sight!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I got a job offer today. Will finally be leaving my toxic manager behind. Have a ridiculously long notice period but there is an end in sight!
Congratulations. Once you have the other offer in writing you could consider leaving early. I had a 3 month notice period in my last job and left after 1. They didn't pay my last travel expenses claim and there was nothing I could do as I was in breach of contract but I was pleased just to get out.

Congratulations. Once you have the other offer in writing you could consider leaving early. I had a 3 month notice period in my last job and left after 1. They didn't pay my last travel expenses claim and there was nothing I could do as I was in breach of contract but I was pleased just to get out.
Thanks. I am considering it. I might ask my doctor to sign me off for the last month. My notice is 3 months. I've never been signed off before but this job affected my mental health and i think my manager will make it difficult and if she does I wont think twice about asking my doctor.

Reactions: 5
Thanks. I am considering it. I might ask my doctor to sign me off for the last month. My notice is 3 months. I've never been signed off before but this job affected my mental health and i think my manager will make it difficult and if she does I wont think twice about asking my doctor.
Former Technical Manager at my place did that, they went off sick for a month signed off. Handed their notice in near the end of the month signed off. Supposed to work 3 months notice, went back to doctors and got signed off for another three months. Didn't work their notice and left the MD in the lurch. But he'd absolutely had enough by the sounds of it.

Reactions: 2
WWYD in this situation 😅

I have handed my notice in, I have annual leave booked for the whole of next week. I have absolutely nothing to do at work which is my reason for leaving, I mentioned upthread.
My manager is on annual leave this afternoon and tomorrow. I work in an isolated office a 5 min drive from the main office. I am the only person in my office who has to go over to the main office occasionally. There's me, two women who have told me I should do what I am suggesting, and one lad who is a huge grass.

Should I announce to the grass later on that I will be going to the other office tomorrow to tie up any loose ends before I leave and then just have my work laptop on from home so I can iron and pack for holiday? 😅

Reactions: 2
I was asked on Monday for my availability for a meeting today or tomorrow.

Unusually for me I only have one meeting across the whole two days, today at 13:30. As such replied saying free all day Thurs and Fri except a 1 hour meeting at 13:30 on Thursday.

When does the meeting invite come in for? 13:30 today 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.