Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
100% agree.

I did not respond to the email where he mentioned the imaginary counter offer. I just said “This was no the point of today’s call” and I left it at that. Then I spoke to him afterwards and he acknowledged they wasted a lot if notice time with the “imaginary” counteroffer.

Not to mention, good thing I pushed the transfer date topic today because his own manager ghosted the meeting yet again. Yet he keeps on saying he doesn’t have my final decision yet. Well, my direct manager does, so they need to stop playing these idiotic games because this is the third meeting his manager declined or ghosted.

My manager asking me to stay until end of January to train the new hire meanwhile him and the rest of the team will be off for three weeks at Christmas. They’re mental.

I said I need to loop in HR so they can coordinate with the new manager as it’s out if my remit and he says he doesn’t want HR involved. He’s mental. HR will be involved.
I’d not be polite enough to use office jargon like loop in and remit
I’d be saying “I’m making HR aware of your stalling” and “I’ve told you I’m leaving, sort yourselves out”

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I’d be saying “I’m making HR aware of your stalling” and “I’ve told you I’m leaving, sort yourselves out”
Or indeed, in the interests of brevity, "Stop pissing about, knobheads"

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I had another call with him and he said he can’t reach out to my future manager yet to discuss the transfer date because he needs to address this with his own manager first and his own manager just called in sick. In his eyes, because his manager is sick, he can’t give an official notice to senior management.

This is ridiculous now. I honestly don’t understand anymore. I gave my notice to him three times already including today. I’ll follow up tomorrow, if it’s the same shenanigans, I’m going straight to HR. His manager is not the one I’m reporting into. He’s irrelevant to me. I told him while you guys are delaying the process on your end, the notice is still running on the other team’s end too for me to join, so we need to get this moving. Seriously. Sick and tired of these games.

His manager call in sick 10 minutes before the call I scheduled with him after declining my call on Friday with a lie as an excuse. What a bunch of tools.

He just sent an email to his manager with resignation date as today. What a prick.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Ok, this guy is actually bullying you and actively blocking you. Go straight to HR and log a grievance or whatever the equivalent is in your country. It stops now.

Reactions: 9
I have the email trail stating I told him on 02/11 then reiterated on 10/11. He just reached out to my future manager to discuss the transfer date. I’ll wait and see how it unfolds in the next few days. My main priority is to move on right now. I’ll however log in an official complaint on my way out.

Reactions: 8
Can I ask people's opinions on this? I am finishing up in my job in less than 4 weeks. A few weeks ago (after i handed in my notice) my manager asked me to put together a file of all my passwords for my log in details to our tax authority (our equivalent of HMRC) where we file tax returns etc. I have two issues with this

1) I will no longer be an employee so why do they need my access. Instead they should sort access for other people and
2) I use the same password for these as I do for personal things (i know I shouldnt but i try and reuse a certain number of passwords).

Am I over reacting here? When you submit a return there is a warning something like knowingly submitting a false return is an offence. I cant remember the exact wording but you enter your password then as a digitial signature of accepting this.

I stupidly ignored the email but didnt want to say anything as she has been in a good mood and now she has asked me again. All via email despite us being in the office together a lot. I would prefer to speak to her about it but have been delaying as I know her attitude to me will change and she is a big part of the reason I am leaving
The Computer Misuse Act says that you can be prosecuted if you access a computer without permission or deliberately change data.
Well not exactly that, but that is what it means.
Any responsible company has that as its login screen although most of it don’t read it.
Handing over your passwords could make you liable for prosecution if someone else misuses them.

Reactions: 5
Can I ask people's opinions on this? I am finishing up in my job in less than 4 weeks. A few weeks ago (after i handed in my notice) my manager asked me to put together a file of all my passwords for my log in details to our tax authority (our equivalent of HMRC) where we file tax returns etc. I have two issues with this

1) I will no longer be an employee so why do they need my access. Instead they should sort access for other people and
2) I use the same password for these as I do for personal things (i know I shouldnt but i try and reuse a certain number of passwords).

Am I over reacting here? When you submit a return there is a warning something like knowingly submitting a false return is an offence. I cant remember the exact wording but you enter your password then as a digitial signature of accepting this.

I stupidly ignored the email but didnt want to say anything as she has been in a good mood and now she has asked me again. All via email despite us being in the office together a lot. I would prefer to speak to her about it but have been delaying as I know her attitude to me will change and she is a big part of the reason I am leaving
Can you just swap out your email address for someone else’s (the person who is taking your tasks) and put in a dummy password as a buffer in the meantime?

Reactions: 2
Sending work related whatsapp messages 45 minutes before I start. If it's important, fair enough but if not just email and I will reply when I start.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Colleagues who send an email and then approach in person five minutes later with 'did you get my email?'

I just check my inbox and say 'yes its there' and then return to looking at my screen and tapping away on my keyboard.
I'm not going to deal with it any quicker because you've come all the way over to point out that you've sent me one.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Colleagues who send an email and then approach in person five minutes later with 'did you get my email?'

I just check my inbox and say 'yes its there' and then return to looking at my screen and tapping away on my keyboard.
I'm not going to deal with it any quicker because you've come all the way over to point out that you've sent me one.
If you ever go on productivity courses they tell you to check your email twice a day. Fat chance when you have people checking if you got their email. Just because the method of delivery is fast doesn’t mean the response will be.

Reactions: 14

That's actually very funny!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
On the hot desking topic, definitely the thought of other people's lack of hygiene would be my biggest issue. I was lucky in the place where I worked that I mentioned earlier, the desks that I and my colleague used were mostly empty otherwise. We were in and out of that particular office a couple of days a week at a time. We just docked our laptops and worked on them so no mucky keyboards etc to deal with.

• Heart
Update:

After I basically forced my manager to address the transfer date yesterday, his own manager (who offered me the imaginary counteroffer) has been ignoring me and also ignored the confirmation of resignation/internal move my manager sent him cc’ing me. With this type of bullying / dismissiveness, they still wonder why people are leaving?

I still do not agree with the resignation date because it is incorrect as they kept resetting the clocks every time I spoke to them about my move and my manager only decided to acknowledge it yesterday after I forced him to address the transfer date. My manager has since reached out to my new manager. He pinged me this morning saying “Your new manager is not flexible at all in fact”. I then responded “Well, if you asked for me to stay until end of January, it is a bit of a stretch. Protocol says maximum is 6 weeks”. Then he responded and said “It’s 2-4 weeks actually”. Well, if it’s 2 weeks then the original start date on my contract should have been fine. He’s contradicting himself.

In the end, they agreed to me transferring early December before Christmas which is fine by me. I signed the amended contract with the agreed date.

My manager is now panicking and said they considering resigning… yeah right. His manager in the other hand has completely fallen off the radar - guess they don’t like rejection lol.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Update:

After I basically forced my manager to address the transfer date yesterday, his own manager (who offered me the imaginary counteroffer) has been ignoring me and also ignored the confirmation of resignation/internal move my manager sent him cc’ing me. With this type of bullying / dismissiveness, they still wonder why people are leaving?

I still do not agree with the resignation date because it is incorrect as they kept resetting the clocks every time I spoke to them about my move and my manager only decided to acknowledge it yesterday after I forced him to address the transfer date. My manager has since reached out to my new manager. He pinged me this morning saying “Your new manager is not flexible at all in fact”. I then responded “Well, if you asked for me to stay until end of January, it is a bit of a stretch. Protocol says maximum is 6 weeks”. Then he responded and said “It’s 2-4 weeks actually”. Well, if it’s 2 weeks then the original start date on my contract should have been fine. He’s contradicting himself.

In the end, they agreed to me transferring early December before Christmas which is fine by me. I signed the amended contract with the agreed date.

My manager is now panicking and said they considering resigning… yeah right.
Those managers need to get a grip!

Anyway, I bet you are counting down the days now you have a transfer date?

• Heart
Those managers need to get a grip!

Anyway, I bet you are counting down the days now you have a transfer date?
They do. They’re absolutely mental. I’ve honestly never seen such behavior from managers. Disgraceful.

I’m so counting the days, I’ve already started drafting my handover today lol. I’m honestly grateful I will no longer deal with such levels of unprofessionalism. I can’t believe I lasted almost 3 years. I’m honestly very grateful they’re exiting my life.

• Heart
Another member of our team handed in their notice today...including me that is 3 people in 2 months. We all have long notice periods and I am first to go. I am so delighted that my awful manager will have to explain this to HR.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
My MD asked me to meet him and his wife for breakfast this morning. His wife is co-owner of the company, although she very much takes a back seat - we only really see her at social events; I thought he probably just felt it was a nice touch to bring her along.

Anyhoo, he asked me flat-out if it's my intention to follow the others who left a while ago to form their own company. I told him yes, because I'm not happy with a number of things and feel saddened at the direction the company is heading. To my astonishment, he admitted that hiring this blasted accountant (the root of all the issues - she's an extremely miserable soul) was a big mistake and said he was seeking advice on how to manage that. We also spoke about how the accountant wants to change the bonus structure, to which he said he was guilty of her getting in his ear about a few things which he's since had a rethink about.

While we were talking his wife was quietly sitting there nodding, seeming to be taking everything in but not expressing an opinion. Then all of a sudden she said, "Well, we've been talking and we want to offer you a promotion to Operations Manager - or Director, if you'd like to come onboard and buy into the company." I just about fell off my chair! This is huge! I haven't said yes or no yet, but they undertook to work with a consultant to formulate the JD to also incorporate the creative aspects of my current role, which I don't want to move away from, as well as salary and benefits for the Manager capacity, and salary, shares, etc., in a Director capacity - just to see how they compare.

I'm going to have to think really hard on this because I love the people I work with, but the new company that's been set up has fresh energy and the people running it are real go-getters ... they will eventually leave this one in the dust. Also, there's a lady I work with who's been there a lot longer than me and I feel if anyone's going to get this opportunity then it should be her ... perhaps the only reason they haven't approached her (they said they haven't talked to anyone else about this), is because she's not strong on bringing in new business.

• Wow
  • Heart
My MD asked me to meet him and his wife for breakfast this morning. His wife is co-owner of the company, although she very much takes a back seat - we only really see her at social events; I thought he probably just felt it was a nice touch to bring her along.

Anyhoo, he asked me flat-out if it's my intention to follow the others who left a while ago to form their own company. I told him yes, because I'm not happy with a number of things and feel saddened at the direction the company is heading. To my astonishment, he admitted that hiring this blasted accountant (the root of all the issues - she's an extremely miserable soul) was a big mistake and said he was seeking advice on how to manage that. We also spoke about how the accountant wants to change the bonus structure, to which he said he was guilty of her getting in his ear about a few things which he's since had a rethink about.

While we were talking his wife was quietly sitting there nodding, seeming to be taking everything in but not expressing an opinion. Then all of a sudden she said, "Well, we've been talking and we want to offer you a promotion to Operations Manager - or Director, if you'd like to come onboard and buy into the company." I just about fell off my chair! This is huge! I haven't said yes or no yet, but they undertook to work with a consultant to formulate the JD to also incorporate the creative aspects of my current role, which I don't want to move away from, as well as salary and benefits for the Manager capacity, and salary, shares, etc., in a Director capacity - just to see how they compare.

I'm going to have to think really hard on this because I love the people I work with, but the new company that's been set up has fresh energy and the people running it are real go-getters ... they will eventually leave this one in the dust. Also, there's a lady I work with who's been there a lot longer than me and I feel if anyone's going to get this opportunity then it should be her ... perhaps the only reason they haven't approached her (they said they haven't talked to anyone else about this), is because she's not strong on bringing in new business.
Go with your gut. It sounds like you want something new.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Go with your gut. It sounds like you want something new.
I worry that my first job would be to sort the issue with the accountant!

I have a good friend who's Practice Manager for a law firm and loathes all the people management aspects of her job. That in itself is a cautionary tale.

I worry that my first job would be to sort the issue with the accountant!

I have a good friend who's Practice Manager for a law firm and loathes all the people management aspects of her job. That in itself is a cautionary tale.
I think you are right about the accountant.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.