Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I ask people's opinions on this? I am finishing up in my job in less than 4 weeks. A few weeks ago (after i handed in my notice) my manager asked me to put together a file of all my passwords for my log in details to our tax authority (our equivalent of HMRC) where we file tax returns etc. I have two issues with this

1) I will no longer be an employee so why do they need my access. Instead they should sort access for other people and
2) I use the same password for these as I do for personal things (i know I shouldnt but i try and reuse a certain number of passwords).

Am I over reacting here? When you submit a return there is a warning something like knowingly submitting a false return is an offence. I cant remember the exact wording but you enter your password then as a digitial signature of accepting this.

I stupidly ignored the email but didnt want to say anything as she has been in a good mood and now she has asked me again. All via email despite us being in the office together a lot. I would prefer to speak to her about it but have been delaying as I know her attitude to me will change and she is a big part of the reason I am leaving
I would respond and just say no, but offer to help set up accounts for whoever needs them. Also send a copy of your information security policy to your boss if there is one.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Can I ask people's opinions on this? I am finishing up in my job in less than 4 weeks. A few weeks ago (after i handed in my notice) my manager asked me to put together a file of all my passwords for my log in details to our tax authority (our equivalent of HMRC) where we file tax returns etc. I have two issues with this

1) I will no longer be an employee so why do they need my access. Instead they should sort access for other people and
2) I use the same password for these as I do for personal things (i know I shouldnt but i try and reuse a certain number of passwords).

Am I over reacting here? When you submit a return there is a warning something like knowingly submitting a false return is an offence. I cant remember the exact wording but you enter your password then as a digitial signature of accepting this.

I stupidly ignored the email but didnt want to say anything as she has been in a good mood and now she has asked me again. All via email despite us being in the office together a lot. I would prefer to speak to her about it but have been delaying as I know her attitude to me will change and she is a big part of the reason I am leaving
Absolutely not - under any circumstances!

I would grab the wording/link from the website that talks about password confidentiality and attach that to your response to your manager.

It sounds to me like they're being lazy ... sure, it's a hassle setting up new users, etc., but they'll just have to suck it up.

Reactions: 8
Thanks all for the advice.

I wouldnt be surprised if we dont have a policy as we have no employee handbook or anything even remotely like that. We are kind of a start up and policies like mat leave were only developed when a team member got pregnant and even at that it took months. I've struggle to get responses in the past when I asked for policies from HR that I needed as a manager for my team.

I'm going to hold my ground. I mainly wanted to make sure that I wasnt over reacting!

Reactions: 9
Thanks all for the advice.

I wouldnt be surprised if we dont have a policy as we have no employee handbook or anything even remotely like that. We are kind of a start up and policies like mat leave were only developed when a team member got pregnant and even at that it took months. I've struggle to get responses in the past when I asked for policies from HR that I needed as a manager for my team.

I'm going to hold my ground. I mainly wanted to make sure that I wasnt over reacting!
Even if your organisation doesn't have any sort of policy around password sharing, the site that you're accessing is bound to ... take the wording / copy the link, from there.

Overzealous managers doing a new seating plan. WTF is that about? We're all adults, we're all in a professional role that we've all bleeping worked hard to get.
The morale has hit rock bottom and she's walking round all smug because Gobby Gaby is now sat next to Sleepy Sally.
She's a dick head.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Overzealous managers doing a new seating plan. WTF is that about? We're all adults, we're all in a professional role that we've all bleeping worked hard to get.
The morale has hit rock bottom and she's walking round all smug because Gobby Gaby is now sat next to Sleepy Sally.
She's a dick head.
Ugh I've been there before ☹ makes you feel like school children. Also one Christmas meal out for the whole department, they put placenames but instead of putting people next to immediate colleagues, they
mixed up the tables into groups so that everyone was with people from other teams. That's fine if you are on a departmental training day, but for Christmas lunch on the last day of before the break, we were so tired and fed up (last week before Xmas is massive dealine for us), so to have to make small talk with strangers from another team whilst eating dinner was actually really not enjoyable. Everyone was awkward. A few tables over my favourite colleague was being talked to death by the bosses boss and she looked like she wanted the ground to swallow her up. It made us feel silly 🙄

• Wow
Ugh I've been there before ☹ makes you feel like school children. Also one Christmas meal out for the whole department, they put placenames but instead of putting people next to immediate colleagues, they
mixed up the tables into groups so that everyone was with people from other teams. That's fine if you are on a departmental training day, but for Christmas lunch on the last day of before the break, we were so tired and fed up (last week before Xmas is massive dealine for us), so to have to make small talk with strangers from another team whilst eating dinner was actually really not enjoyable. Everyone was awkward. A few tables over my favourite colleague was being talked to death by the bosses boss and she looked like she wanted the ground to swallow her up. It made us feel silly 🙄
Argh God what a nightmare. Things like that suck the fun out of anything.

Reactions: 5

Absolutely not. I used to work in a financial institution where sharing passwords could have resulted in a massive fine and all sorts of chaos if something had gone wrong. I was asked to let someone else use my password to complete transactions and I politely but firmly refused. Can you imagine if they turned out to be dodgy and my name was all over it.
They really shouldn’t be asking you to do this. It’s against every rule in the book….even if they don’t have one !

• Heart
She's a dick head.
Oh gawd, I feel your pain.
We had an office move one time - now I ended up with really lovely people beside me - but the hours of senior management time that must have gone in to deciding who sat where... 🙄

And all the pets got the prime spots, of course.

Reactions: 4
Hot-desking’s more annoying :( :) I need to sit near my team to bloody WORK with them!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hot-desking’s more annoying :( :) I need to sit near my team to bloody WORK with them!
I worked somewhere where there was hot desking but there was one woman who claimed a particular desk and I would not have liked to see the carnage if someone else had dared to sit there 😁!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
In a world where virus and germs are very much in focus, using someone else’s skanky desk/phone/ keyboard would make me 🤢
I used to sit next to a nose picker. No way would I swap desks with him. My desk was sanitised everyday with wipes. You could have performed surgery on it 😂

• Sick
  • Heart
I would hate hot desking. If I'm being forced to leave my nice desk at home to come into the office, I want the familiarity of the same desk each time. I've got my chair and screens exactly how I like it, don't want to have to spend ages adjusting them.

• Heart
Totally agree! The people that don’t understand why others are bothered about germs and hot-desking and stuff going missing or moved, are the directors who have their own office, and perhaps those who have been assigned their own desk!

So many people coming into work coughing recently. Rather stay wfh until winter is over next year! At least we’re getting some money for the energy bills so we may as well use it wisely, rather than get ill from commuting to open plan hotdesk offices 😒

Reactions: 6
I’m about to combust.

I scheduled a meeting with my direct manager today to discuss the transfer date. Then he responds saying “I would suggest to wait until you’ve confirmed your decision to leave to myself and my manager before talking about the transfer date”.

I told them on 02/11 I was leaving then they initiated the whole non existent counter offer thing and I told them I’d think of it. A week later, I informed my direct manager of my decision to leave. Today, I scheduled a call with my direct manager to discuss the transfer date on my contract to make sure they discuss with the new manager if it doesn’t suit.

Seriously. This idiot is my direct manager, I informed him not once but twice of my decision to leave and now he’s acting dumb as if I never told him I was leaving. He keeps resetting the clock meanwhile the process is still moving forward on my end. I signed documents in the system, he’s my direct manager. I don’t care what his manager does or doesn’t do. He’s not the I report to.

Then he went on and put in an email how I was thinking of a counteroffer (counter offer which we never put on the table in the first place).

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Meetings with Dev teams are always so fraught. They get defensive and resort to throwing Agile terms around. Scrum off 🤪

• Haha
I’m about to combust.

I scheduled a meeting with my direct manager today to discuss the transfer date. Then he responds saying “I would suggest to wait until you’ve confirmed your decision to leave to myself and my manager before talking about the transfer date”.

I told them on 02/11 I was leaving then they initiated the whole non existent counter offer thing and I told them I’d think of it. A week later, I informed my direct manager of my decision to leave. Today, I scheduled a call with my direct manager to discuss the transfer date on my contract to make sure they discuss with the new manager if it doesn’t suit.

Seriously. This idiot is my direct manager, I informed him not once but twice of my decision to leave and now he’s acting dumb as if I never told him I was leaving. He keeps resetting the clock meanwhile the process is still moving forward on my end. I signed documents in the system, he’s my direct manager. I don’t care what his manager does or doesn’t do. He’s not the I report to.

Then he went on and put in an email how I was thinking of a counteroffer (counter offer which we never put on the table in the first place).
I feel like punching your boss

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I’m about to combust.

No.

I would reply to his email saying that you were never willing to consider a counter offer, that you felt steamrollered into even considering it and that on X date you refused it. That on Y date and Z date you confirmed to him and your actual manager that you are moving teams, and that as there seem to have been mixed wires you are putting your intention into writing. And also as he’s being a little twit, say too that your agreed start date with the new team is - and that due to this you’ll no longer be able to go on the previously discussed trip as you’ll be in your new role then.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
No.

I would reply to his email saying that you were never willing to consider a counter offer, that you felt steamrollered into even considering it and that on X date you refused it. That on Y date and Z date you confirmed to him and your actual manager that you are moving teams, and that as there seem to have been mixed wires you are putting your intention into writing. And also as he’s being a little twit, say too that your agreed start date with the new team is - and that due to this you’ll no longer be able to go on the previously discussed trip as you’ll be in your new role then.
100% agree.

I did not respond to the email where he mentioned the imaginary counter offer. I just said “This was no the point of today’s call” and I left it at that. Then I spoke to him afterwards and he acknowledged they wasted a lot if notice time with the “imaginary” counteroffer.

Not to mention, good thing I pushed the transfer date topic today because his own manager ghosted the meeting yet again. Yet he keeps on saying he doesn’t have my final decision yet. Well, my direct manager does, so they need to stop playing these idiotic games because this is the third meeting his manager declined or ghosted.

My manager asking me to stay until end of January to train the new hire meanwhile him and the rest of the team will be off for three weeks at Christmas. They’re mental.

I said I need to loop in HR so they can coordinate with the new manager as it’s out if my remit and he says he doesn’t want HR involved. He’s mental. HR will be involved.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.