Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My workplace used to be fantastic ... we're a bunch of quirky individuals who each bring something unique to the business.

Unfortunately some months back, our GM hired an accountant - rather than having a local accountancy firm do everything (including payroll, invoicing, etc.) - and she's a bad egg. She hasn't even tried to fit in. For our part, we have tried SO hard to make her feel welcome but none of it has been appreciated. She also tries to create division within the team. It's just awful and people have already left as a result.

I have Covid at the moment, which has been dragging on for over two weeks. One of my colleagues has been off for two months, and another colleague just tested positive last night so will be commencing her seven-day isolation period. Everyone in the office (except for this accountant, who hasn't had it), is understanding and sympathetic - they get that this is how life is now. For the past few days, I've felt well enough to log in and do some work and get in touch with clients, and I've been keeping my GM and co-workers informed as to progress (there isn't anyone who can act in my stead, and there hasn't been anything pressing, so all good).

Today, I opened an email message - addressed to everyone in the company - from the accountant stating that constant non-attendance due to "Covid" (she actually typed it like that, as if we're making it up), is concerning to her - WTF?! I texted my GM in disgust and he said just to ignore her - she's grandstanding. I replied to suggest that he nip this sort of behaviour in the bud before it becomes an issue because it's not the first time she's tried to act as if she's everyone's manager, and besides that it's bloody irresponsible to even suggest that people come into work if they're sick. He hasn't responded.

A few of us are out of there soon - we're just waiting for some former colleagues who set up in competition to get their business up and running - but it saddens me that our GM doesn't see how this woman has ruined our once-happy working environment. She's also made recommendations about changing the bonus structure which is out for 'consultation' with staff - of course we don't like it! (All these things - getting her on board, changing the commission structure, proposing that we start paying for our staff carparks [that was shot down very quickly], taking away our coffee machine and catering for client meetings - seem geared towards saving money, when I know for a fact that the company is doing fine [this year alone, I've brought in over $300k worth of business, and would rate my sales abilities as being mediocre]). When our GM is away, she parks in his carpark (as opposed to parking in the main carpark with the rest of us) and uses his office - otherwise, we all sit in an open-plan office ... ugh; so frustrating.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
My workplace used to be fantastic ... we're a bunch of quirky individuals who each bring something unique to the business.

Unfortunately some months back, our GM hired an accountant - rather than having a local accountancy firm do everything (including payroll, invoicing, etc.) - and she's a bad egg. She hasn't even tried to fit in. For our part, we have tried SO hard to make her feel welcome but none of it has been appreciated. She also tries to create division within the team. It's just awful and people have already left as a result.

I have Covid at the moment, which has been dragging on for over two weeks. One of my colleagues has been off for two months, and another colleague just tested positive last night so will be commencing her seven-day isolation period. Everyone in the office (except for this accountant, who hasn't had it), is understanding and sympathetic - they get that this is how life is now. For the past few days, I've felt well enough to log in and do some work and get in touch with clients, and I've been keeping my GM and co-workers informed as to progress (there isn't anyone who can act in my stead, and there hasn't been anything pressing, so all good).

Today, I opened an email message - addressed to everyone in the company - from the accountant stating that constant non-attendance due to "Covid" (she actually typed it like that, as if we're making it up), is concerning to her - WTF?! I texted my GM in disgust and he said just to ignore her - she's grandstanding. I replied to suggest that he nip this sort of behaviour in the bud before it becomes an issue because it's not the first time she's tried to act as if she's everyone's manager, and besides that it's bloody irresponsible to even suggest that people come into work if they're sick. He hasn't responded.

A few of us are out of there soon - we're just waiting for some former colleagues who set up in competition to get their business up and running - but it saddens me that our GM doesn't see how this woman has ruined our once-happy working environment. She's also made recommendations about changing the bonus structure which is out for 'consultation' with staff - of course we don't like it! (All these things - getting her on board, changing the commission structure, proposing that we start paying for our staff carparks [that was shot down very quickly], taking away our coffee machine and catering for client meetings - seem geared towards saving money, when I know for a fact that the company is doing fine [this year alone, I've brought in over $300k worth of business, and would rate my sales abilities as being mediocre]). When our GM is away, she parks in his carpark (as opposed to parking in the main carpark with the rest of us) and uses his office - otherwise, we all sit in an open-plan office ... ugh; so frustrating.
Ugh ☹ Your manager will regret it when his whole workforce is gone because of this one accountant 😩 Her behaviour should have been nipped in the bud straight away. Such a shame.

Reactions: 11
Ugh ☹ Your manager will regret it when his whole workforce is gone because of this one accountant 😩 Her behaviour should have been nipped in the bud straight away. Such a shame.
It sure is! He has gone from someone who stopped off to chat to everyone individually on his way to his office each morning, to someone who seems to have the weight of the world's problems on his shoulders - he doesn't even say "good morning" anymore. The accountant is continually looking for things to complain or be concerned about ... she's just such a negative, toxic person. Ugh!

• Sad
Reactions: 5

Sorry to hear this. It's awful that one single person can ruin the environment for everyone, I wish she was sacked from the beginning. Had a colleague like this a couple years ago. I wasn't in a good place mentally and I was near suicidal at the thought of coming to work and having to cooperate with them. I'm glad you guys are removing yourselves from the situation though 🙏 Life is too short to suffer at work.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm being blamed for something that my colleague failed to do and I am FUMING. I have no supervisory responsibility (said colleague is in fact being booked onto various training to put THEM in a good position for any supervisor positions that come up) and no responsibility for this area, yet I'm the one who got a call about it last night and am getting blamed for it. I've just told my manager I feel I'm being blamed for it when I did actually raise said issue with the colleague and was told they'd get back to me if they needed me to do anything. Manager keeps saying "it's just one of those things". Sorry but no, it's not - it's me being expected yet again to be in charge of everything our team does whilst still on the pay level and respect level of everyone else. Thank God I'm leaving.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Can I ask people's opinions on this? I am finishing up in my job in less than 4 weeks. A few weeks ago (after i handed in my notice) my manager asked me to put together a file of all my passwords for my log in details to our tax authority (our equivalent of HMRC) where we file tax returns etc. I have two issues with this

1) I will no longer be an employee so why do they need my access. Instead they should sort access for other people and
2) I use the same password for these as I do for personal things (i know I shouldnt but i try and reuse a certain number of passwords).

Am I over reacting here? When you submit a return there is a warning something like knowingly submitting a false return is an offence. I cant remember the exact wording but you enter your password then as a digitial signature of accepting this.

I stupidly ignored the email but didnt want to say anything as she has been in a good mood and now she has asked me again. All via email despite us being in the office together a lot. I would prefer to speak to her about it but have been delaying as I know her attitude to me will change and she is a big part of the reason I am leaving

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Can I ask people's opinions on this? I am finishing up in my job in less than 4 weeks. A few weeks ago (after i handed in my notice) my manager asked me to put together a file of all my passwords for my log in details to our tax authority (our equivalent of HMRC) where we file tax returns etc. I have two issues with this

1) I will no longer be an employee so why do they need my access. Instead they should sort access for other people and
2) I use the same password for these as I do for personal things (i know I shouldnt but i try and reuse a certain number of passwords).

Am I over reacting here? When you submit a return there is a warning something like knowingly submitting a false return is an offence. I cant remember the exact wording but you enter your password then as a digitial signature of accepting this.

I stupidly ignored the email but didnt want to say anything as she has been in a good mood and now she has asked me again. All via email despite us being in the office together a lot. I would prefer to speak to her about it but have been delaying as I know her attitude to me will change and she is a big part of the reason I am leaving
No, absolutely do not do it. As you've said, it's on them to set colleagues up with their own access. Tell her nicely that the authority is very strict about it and you don't want to cause an issue. She 100% knows this and is trying her luck.

Reactions: 15

They should absolutely not be asking you for your password, they should close yours when you leave and set up a new one for the incoming person. Otherwise they could do stuff in your name, which is dodgy.

Reactions: 12

Give her the same attitude back. Tell her no. What's she gonna do? Sack you. She sounds like a rude person

As others have said, no, absolutely not.

Dig out a policy document, I am sure one exists, and quote it in an email replying that you will not be leaving log ins and passwords.

She should know better than to even ask, obviously. Chancer!

My staff team request their leave electronically. Once submitted, I receive an email asking me to authorise or decline. For one staff member, this isn’t quite good enough, she has to text to tell me she’s requested leave and then email me to tell me she’s requested leave. Sometimes she will even follow it up with a voicemail. How annoying.
Also, on days when I work at the office, one of my colleagues just wants to talk and talk and talk to me and I just want to work. I did lose the plot and tell her I couldn’t talk to her anymore at one point.
Do you approve holiday requests quite quickly? In my experience when people follow up holiday requests with separate emails it's because they've either had past experience of managers who let automated approval requests sit in a queue for ages, or they have no faith in automated notifications.

Not saying that definitely applies with the person who's emailing you, but I've had similar experiences so I just politely mentioned to the person that notifications get automatically sent to me hence no need for manual emails. They didn't kick off, but it was clear they had been managed poorly previously hence they felt the need to back everything up with reminders. They're much better now!

Others have said similar, but you definitely should not give any employee your logins and passwords. Like you say, you'll no longer be an employee, so new logins need to be created by your replacement.

Obviously you can write up a handover document with factual information but not with actual passwords.

I'm not sure how big your company is, but if she keeps pressuring you to give that information, I'd escalate it with your IT Security department and let them sort her out.

Last edited:

Sounds suspicious. Mainly for audit purposes log ins are never shared so electronic foot prints can be easily tracked regarding any bad practice or internal investigations

Can you have a look to see if there is any staff policy or document that states password/log in details must not be shared among staff.

If not email back stating you are concerned with the request because you are aware its not best practice in the workplace to share log in details and sate that it leaves you in a vulnerable position with regards to any work you've carried out under those passwords.

Reactions: 6
My colleague doesn’t seem to want to take responsibility for his area. He is so laid back it’s bordering lazy and frustrating me massively. I am really bored of telling him what to do. He has the title manager in his name but he lacks initiative and can’t push anything forward.

Reactions: 3
Thank you everyone for the well wishes! It truly means a lot! ❤

My manager is really stupid. He now knows I’m moving teams and today he sent an email to a project lead confirming my participation in a project that takes place overseas and starts after my scheduled start date in the other team. I have to travel for this project.

I had agreed to participate before I gave my notice but as I gave my notice, he should have revised the plans.

He said I have to go anyways. Well, he’s gonna have to negotiate a new start date with my new manager. He’s ridiculous.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

My manager is really stupid. He now knows I’m moving teams and today he sent an email to a project lead confirming my participation in a project that takes place overseas and starts after my scheduled start date in the other team. I have to travel for this project.

I had agreed to participate before I gave my notice but as I gave my notice, he should have revised the plans.

He said I have to go anyways. Well, he’s gonna have to negotiate a new start date with my new manager. He’s ridiculous.
I had a feeling he would try crap like that.

BIB - Keep pushing to get out asap is my advice.

Do you really have to go to this trip? Surely you will be out of contract for the old job and can start afresh on your new contract. They can't stall you like this.

Reactions: 6
It is his problem, the fact that he does not have an adequate replacement to put onto the project.
And as I said to you in a post last night, it's your career that counts. Smile and wave. 😉

Put yourself first from here on as you move on.

• Heart
Do you really have to go to this trip? Surely you will be out of contract for the old job and can start afresh on your new contract. They can't stall you like this.
I actually don’t. It’s not even my project. No one from our team needs to go. We don’t normally go on these trips. No one has ever gone on any trip. I’ll be the first one.

HR said yesterday the two managers need to come to a bilateral agreement for the start date. I only have a provisional one for now based on standard internal notice period.

• Wow
  • Angry
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.