Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think this is an interesting discussion point because if he ever goes back to being a doctor - what happens if he treats people who know him from youtube/other endeavours? How does that fit in with the GMC guidelines on professional distancing? Yes he is never unprofessional in his youtube videos but I'm thinking more along the lines of - what if him being a Youtuber does change a patient's perspective of him/the profession. That is currently against GMC guidance. Interesting to know where the line is because this is a very new issue, probably one which none of the regulators have thought about.
Second this. I think while he hasn’t necessarily been unprofessional, he is too overfamiliar. He has talked about his bowel movements/being a wasteman / cracks many jokes at his expense / promoted Huel, the list goes on and onnnnn. Not sure what other med influencers are like but I guess a sense of TMI is inevitable once you move from tech reviews or study tip videos to productivity maestro stuff.

I think this would apply if he was a lawyer or realtor or just worked at Starbucks to be clear, but I have always wondered if he really thought through how wise it is to marry influencer with serious medical professional. Like, seriously thought through. A lot of his content isn’t industry specific, as in, I’d argue being treated by a doctor who regularly did presentations or talks on medical things, and who you happened to recognise, is not the same as having a doctor who has a personal brand or channel on YouTube and can ‘get to know’ in a ‘personal’ way.

Reactions: 6
Second this. I think while he hasn’t necessarily been unprofessional, he is too overfamiliar. He has talked about his bowel movements/being a wasteman / cracks many jokes at his expense / promoted Huel, the list goes on and onnnnn. Not sure what other med influencers are like but I guess a sense of TMI is inevitable once you move from tech reviews or study tip videos to productivity maestro stuff.

I think this would apply if he was a lawyer or realtor or just worked at Starbucks to be clear, but I have always wondered if he really thought through how wise it is to marry influencer with serious medical professional. Like, seriously thought through. A lot of his content isn’t industry specific, as in, I’d argue being treated by a doctor who regularly did presentations or talks on medical things, and who you happened to recognise, is not the same as having a doctor who has a personal brand or channel on YouTube and can ‘get to know’ in a ‘personal’ way.
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. I think if at least a couple of us have thought it on this thread - it's probably a bit of issue. I know I wouldn't feel like I had the professional distance with him as my doctor. I'd be wondering if I, as a patient, was going to become (even confidentially) a small anecdote in a video or blog post. I don't think he would ever give patient details, but if he started training and vlogging stuff. It really does blur the lines, not outright unprofessionalism, but certain the notion of professional distance between you and a healthcare provider to allow you to feel able to disclose personal information.

Reactions: 9
Do we think he’s arrogant enough that he thinks he can have both (influencer plus doctor)? In a video, I think the 1 million subscribers one, he mentioned once he had to reupload something because someone complained to the hospital where he was working that he wasn’t taking security seriously enough.

He’s clearly smart; that example above indicates though that his audience really could come back to bite him. I just don’t see how returning to medicine, if he does do so, could work for him after the ongoing and incoming self promo.

I think Ali is looking for meaning and stability but he’s going to burn out with YouTube before long. Just my two pence.

Reactions: 3
I think this is an interesting discussion point because if he ever goes back to being a doctor - what happens if he treats people who know him from youtube/other endeavours? How does that fit in with the GMC guidelines on professional distancing? Yes he is never unprofessional in his youtube videos but I'm thinking more along the lines of - what if him being a Youtuber does change a patient's perspective of him/the profession. That is currently against GMC guidance. Interesting to know where the line is because this is a very new issue, probably one which none of the regulators have thought about.
I have been his patient before. I knew who he was as soon as he entered the room and wanted to hide under my crappy hospital blankets. I did have a word with a different Dr to specify I wasn't happy with Ali being involved in my care. Not that I think he would break confidentiality, I just didn't feel I could trust him as much as other doctors you know? He came across as really shy and timid and not really knowing how to speak to patients, I think he clearly thinks he's the bees knees online but it doesn't work like that in a clinical setting.

My friend worked at the same hospital which meant I could go and have dinner in the staff lounge which was nicer. Unlike most medical staff who were sat in large groups and laughing etc Ali seemed a bit of a loner and was clearly just sat taking Instagram pics of his food instead of engaging with colleagues.

• Wow
  • Sad
I have been his patient before. I knew who he was as soon as he entered the room and wanted to hide under my crappy hospital blankets. I did have a word with a different Dr to specify I wasn't happy with Ali being involved in my care. Not that I think he would break confidentiality, I just didn't feel I could trust him as much as other doctors you know? He came across as really shy and timid and not really knowing how to speak to patients, I think he clearly thinks he's the bees knees online but it doesn't work like that in a clinical setting.

My friend worked at the same hospital which meant I could go and have dinner in the staff lounge which was nicer. Unlike most medical staff who were sat in large groups and laughing etc Ali seemed a bit of a loner and was clearly just sat taking Instagram pics of his food instead of engaging with colleagues.
Maybe he thought due to his lack of bed side care he couldn’t progress up the medical ranks so has taken a break for now (I don’t think he’ll ever go back to it)

Reactions: 1

This is interesting and exactly what I was getting at - thanks for the perspective!
Tbh, depending one when the anecdote was with your friend in the staff lounge, I think for well over a year now into his second year as a doctor, he had lost touch and love with the medicine side and was starting to become closer with productivity gurus, tech bros, people in that entrepreneurial/Youtube sphere. It doesn't surprise me then when on breaks at work his mind wasn't there - he was likely on his phone replying to comments, messages, engaging with the business. It's likely he wasn't really present to engage in that friendship side of it.

I think Ali is looking for meaning and stability but he’s going to burn out with YouTube before long. Just my two pence.
I love discussing things like this - does anyone know of a thread on tattle discussing the possible fall of Youtube?

I think as a smart guy he will eventually need to learn something new and move on. At the moment, I actually don't necessary think his motivation is purely money related because he hasn't really tried much "quick-rich" stuff. I genuinely think what has taken him to this level of success is an interest in business, personal finance - all skills that were new to him and which he enjoyed learning. Although now I've written it - that may be the same as an interest in money. :LOL:

Reactions: 5
Is he working right now as a dr? I’m not sure I have much respect for a qualified practitioner who doesn’t work during a pandemic and the worst emergency public health crisis in a century.

Correction: I definitely don’t.
Yeah, lockdown 3 in the UK and he’s chilling and shilling.

I know he reached a natural break point in his training, but I’m inclined to agree with this. With the other comment about not being very empathetic it hardly reflects well on him. Ofc it’s easy for me to judge as someone with no experience in medicine. I also understand (though don’t necessarily agree with) why he would choose not to work as a doctor during a pandemic given he has other income streams, but if it were me, I would feel awful while my friends/course mates/colleagues were doing their bit.

agree with @Roundhouses who highlighted his shifting friendships though and interests. Did this shift start before or after his channel started seeing success?

Reactions: 7
3902E4A1-0471-4109-85FB-0BE888382D78.png

Call me thick but I just realised that in his how much I earned video the dollar signs are waaaay bigger on the right and small on the left as a doctor. Clearly he’s checking out for the cash, it’s just a perk he’s not working in the pandemic. Based on other videos he’s done like why he’s donating 10% of his earnings to charity for life (wonder if he still does this?) he seems highly logical. Kind of reminded me of a friend who isn’t naturally very empathetic and is much more goals-orientated/ambitious. The kind of person who saw me crying once and just went “r u crying” 😂 and the offered very practical solutions to my problem. I honestly can’t imagine Ali being a listening ear but I’m probably projecting there

also, taken together, his last video titles are super clickbaity. I don’t like the use of capitals 👀

Reactions: 7
This whole "Wife Quest" in his productive bucket list video is honestly to me, a really destructive way to think about relationships. I couldn't imagine anything worse than block-booking dates through calendar apps and ticking them off until someone sticks.

My most organic and fulfilling relationships have all been due to shared interests or fundamentals and then the ability to grow/learn together- started by conversations, or groups, or introductions from friends-of-friends. I appreciate the difficulty of dating with COVID but has he not experienced forming a really close organic friendship and then reflected on why this has worked? What about the other person involved in his method of dating? I really can see him being on a date and thinking about checklists, algorithms, does she meet this and that criteria. I think he is so far into this productivity thing that he can't let anything generate organically in his life.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This whole "Wife Quest" in his productive bucket list video is honestly to me, a really destructive way to think about relationships. I couldn't imagine anything worse than block-booking dates through calendar apps and ticking them off until someone sticks.

My most organic and fulfilling relationships have all been due to shared interests or fundamentals and then the ability to grow/learn together- started by conversations, or groups, or introductions from friends-of-friends. I appreciate the difficulty of dating with COVID but has he not experienced forming a really close organic friendship and then reflected on why this has worked? What about the other person involved in his method of dating? I really can see him being on a date and thinking about checklists, algorithms, does she meet this and that criteria. I think he is so far into this productivity thing that he can't let anything generate organically in his life.
Yeah, I feel quite sad for him in this regard. "Quest" even makes it sound like he wins or gets the prize at the end. Marriage is a huge commitment, not something 'productive' to do before you die. Productive is a buzzword that is mis-used a lot and I hate it (but I digress).

COVID does make things basically impossible but I wonder if it's because his hobbies are quite insular (YouTube, reading, etc) that he uses all these apps/tools. It's hard to imagine Ali just going to a class and getting to know someone organically like you said. Then again, I don't know him irl, maybe he's super chill and is just using apps to be more 'productive' and hasten the process along.

Honestly the 'wife quest' stuff is creepy. It's framed as such a clinical thing, like any other item on his Noted to do list. 😬

Honestly the 'wife quest' stuff is creepy. It's framed as such a clinical thing, like any other item on his Noted to do list. 😬
I came on here hoping that someone else would be mentioning this.

It's so weird. I can imagine him being in bed with his future partner after waking up in the morning. He pulls out his iPad where he has time blocked the entire day. He points to the time block starting at 7pm until 7:15pm and it's labeled "Coitus" while has a big grin on his face.

His obsession with being productive and planning every aspect of his life is so unhealthy. Where's the spontaneity and fun?

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Does he come from a humble family? Is that why is he so focused on money the way he is, to the point where he doesnt want to be a doctor? im trying to understand why is he all about money money and leaving a career many would want, why take up a medical school place? I dont get why he is so money motivated

Reactions: 2
Does he come from a humble family? Is that why is he so focused on money the way he is, to the point where he doesnt want to be a doctor? im trying to understand why is he all about money money and leaving a career many would want, why take up a medical school place? I dont get why he is so money motivated
I don't know much about his background but I think his LinkedIn shows he went to a private school?

I think he's one of those guys who sees money and success in direct correlation. Lots of money? Then you're hugely successful. He's mentioned before that he wasn't sure what he wanted to do and ended up doing medicine (I think because of family pressures?). Maybe the idea of 'saving lives' (his words...) appealed for a while, but then YouTube ramped up and coin rolled in and the grind of medicine for little financial reward in comparison didn't seem worth it. I don't think he really knows what he wants. Neither do I, mind.

I believed him when he first uploaded that video about taking a year out of medicine and coming back to it after travelling, working on YouTube, etc. Then COVID hit, travel was a no go, and Ali's left with his channel and Skillshare. Instead of returning to the NHS during a time of unprecedented strain and mass understaffing, he's doing SkillShare live hangouts and churning out his boring content. I think that more than anything highlights that money > morals. I don't see him returning to medicine.

His worldview is probably something like: money = success and success = happiness. I dunno, I just think that this 'success' isn't going to make him less miserable and directionless. In chatty Q&A videos that are less scripted it's sometimes pretty obvious that he's lonely and/or not content with life and looking for the next thing. Maybe overfocusing on metrics and his ridiculous income as evidence of his awesomeness is his way of filling the void, just based on who he reminds me of in real life.

Sorry for the essay, fml.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I don't know much about his background but I think his LinkedIn shows he went to a private school?

I think he's one of those guys who sees money and success in direct correlation. Lots of money? Then you're hugely successful. He's mentioned before that he wasn't sure what he wanted to do and ended up doing medicine (I think because of family pressures?). Maybe the idea of 'saving lives' (his words...) appealed for a while, but then YouTube ramped up and coin rolled in and the grind of medicine for little financial reward in comparison didn't seem worth it. I don't think he really knows what he wants. Neither do I, mind.

I believed him when he first uploaded that video (the going to America one I think?) about taking a year out of medicine and coming back to it after travelling, working on YouTube, etc. Then COVID hit, travel was a no go, and Ali's left with his channel and Skillshare. Instead of returning to the NHS during a time of unprecedented strain and mass understaffing, he's doing SkillShare live hangouts and churning out his boring content. I think that more than anything highlights that money > morals. I don't see him returning to medicine.

His worldview is probably something like: money = success and success = happiness. I dunno, I just think that this 'success' isn't going to make him less miserable and directionless. In chatty Q&A videos that are less scripted it's sometimes pretty obvious that he's lonely and/or not content with life and looking for the next thing. Maybe overfocusing on metrics and his ridiculous income as evidence of his awesomeness is his way of filling the void, just based on who he reminds me of in real life.

Sorry for the essay, fml.
It’s not a private school just a school that presents itself as one, I didn’t realise he didn’t go straight out of 6th form to medicine, that he did pre clinical medicine and then got a scholarship so I wonder how much he got through that, how much student finance he got... I can’t remember what his mum does but as a single parent it’s odd that he’s ended up churning out so much money as most YouTube’s are mostly from middle class backgrounds which would lead you to think it was likely he was always going to make a lot of money

Reactions: 5
It’s not a private school just a school that presents itself as one, I didn’t realise he didn’t go straight out of 6th form to medicine, that he did pre clinical medicine and then got a scholarship so I wonder how much he got through that, how much student finance he got... I can’t remember what his mum does but as a single parent it’s odd that he’s ended up churning out so much money as most YouTube’s are mostly from middle class backgrounds which would lead you to think it was likely he was always going to make a lot of money
I think he did go straight from 6th form. It’s just the structure of the course at Cambridge is the first 3 years are called pre-clinical and they get a Bachelors degree from it, and the second 3 years are clinical. But in order to enter into the pre clinical years you just apply for Medicine.

His mum is a doctor, his brother is a computer scientist w his own start up
He has two sisters that went to non russel Unis in London

most of his family are doctors, he has said this a few times, so i think they're well stablished/middle class people
i didn't know he had sisters tho!

Reactions: 2
I don't want to be rude but his mums place doesn't look like the home of a doctor. It seems like its a tiny old flat? Idk where abouts it is but it looks so dated and old. It was seen in the Tesla video. From that video, I thought he came from humble beginnings and that's why he was so money focused.

Need to go rewatch it though as it was a while ago and I could be wrong