Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
ladies and gentlemen, another productive day with me by ali abdaal himself
take a shot every time he calls himself a waste man and you'll be drunk in a minute

on a different note, i know he's being sarcastic, but i don't like how he calls himself "a failure in life" (at 3:45 on his last video), when he's a cambridge graduate, a doctor and very successful money-wise
tbh it makes me feel like sh*t
Another non disclosed ad too!!!

Reactions: 5
ladies and gentlemen, another productive day with me by ali abdaal himself
take a shot every time he calls himself a waste man and you'll be drunk in a minute

on a different note, i know he's being sarcastic, but i don't like how he calls himself "a failure in life" (at 3:45 on his last video), when he's a cambridge graduate, a doctor and very successful money-wise
tbh it makes me feel like sh*t
People usually use the failure at life thing to be relatable.

But he is in no way relatable.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
If he wasnt a Cambridge Medical student noone wpuld care about his productivity brand
I think his channel will stagnate/lose subscribers eventually without the medicine and doctor facets. As others have pointed out before, there are loads of YouTubers already who dominate the productivity niche. Thomas Frank comes to mind, and he does a great job. The thing which sets Ali apart from those productivity YouTubers in the grand scheme of things is his Cambridge & medicine combination, which he's now discarded.

Like, it's gross if he'd have looked at it entirely through the lens of views, but I would've definitely watched videos about working as a doctor during COVID. I don't mean vlogs on the ward, but something like a sit-down, serious, genuine video about his experiences and what he was learning for example. That could have been fascinating. With his reach he could have e.g. 'influenced' rule-breakers to be more cautious. Instead he's sitting the pandemic out and making boring content that doesn't have a personal or original touch.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
youtube recommended this video the other day:

it reminded me of ali's journey towards becoming a gymshark athlete
haven't watched it yet, (the thumbnail looks quite clickbaity), but now i'm curious about what she has to say about the brand
i'll leave it here in case any of you want to give it a look, i'll probably watch it this afternoon

on a side note, somebody called captain sinbad just filmed a mocking video about ali, and ali himself has reposted it several times on his ig stories
i didn't laugh or find it funny, primarily because it's quite accurate:

youtube recommended this video the other day:

it reminded me of ali's journey towards becoming a gymshark athlete
haven't watched it yet, (the thumbnail looks quite clickbaity), but now i'm curious about what she has to say about the brand
i'll leave it here in case any of you want to give it a look, i'll probably watch it this afternoon

on a side note, somebody called captain sinbad just filmed a mocking video about ali, and ali himself has reposted it several times on his ig stories
i didn't laugh or find it funny, primarily because it's quite accurate:
I watched it. She did address it quite thoroughly but basically... She thinks the diets/advice other gymshark athletes come out with is toxic and she doesn't want to bw associated with it. I'm sure she has a PhD in nutrition, or something (it's definitely STEM) and she cares about correct advice etc.

I do recommend listening to what she has to say and it's not clickbaity as she does go into it 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Living your life seeking maximum productivity in everything you do will destroy you eventually, most of his audience are in their early 20's and it's not a message he's putting out (burning yourself out)
His life seems both exhausting and a bit sad. The constant quest to be productive every nano second because you’ve got nothing else going on.

Reactions: 9
Has anyone been following/enjoying the criticism of the Minimalists since their new movie (which is identical to their old one) came out? Drew Gooden has a funny video playing clips of them saying the exact same thing in each movie and their ted talks 🤣

I think the problems with the minimalist influencer market apply to productivity people too. It seems to consume their lives, and also is blanketed in toxic positivity a lot of the time.

• Haha
Has anyone been following/enjoying the criticism of the Minimalists since their new movie (which is identical to their old one) came out? Drew Gooden has a funny video playing clips of them saying the exact same thing in each movie and their ted talks 🤣

I think the problems with the minimalist influencer market apply to productivity people too. It seems to consume their lives, and also is blanketed in toxic positivity a lot of the time.
This is so true, and - not really referring to Ali here (I haven't watched a lot of his content so can't really have an opinion either way) - a lot of middle-class influencers/youtubers will use a minimalist aesthetic (a certain studytuber comes to mind) to almost downplay how privileged they are, when actually having a lot of possessions =/= being privileged, and sometimes minimalism can actually be costly (think about fast fashion etc and how those brands mainly target people from WC backgrounds, whilst influencers with money will act like they live a more frugal life because they only own 3 Armani shirts and 2 pairs of Yeezys)

P.S. I'm looking to do GEM and I've been watching PostGradMedic a lot recently and would really recommend his content, he's far more down to earth than a lot of med youtubers and his interviews with people who went into GEM from humanities/unrelated backgrounds are really worth a watch.

Reactions: 4
This is so true, and - not really referring to Ali here (I haven't watched a lot of his content so can't really have an opinion either way) - a lot of middle-class influencers/youtubers will use a minimalist aesthetic (a certain studytuber comes to mind) to almost downplay how privileged they are, when actually having a lot of possessions =/= being privileged, and sometimes minimalism can actually be costly (think about fast fashion etc and how those brands mainly target people from WC backgrounds, whilst influencers with money will act like they live a more frugal life because they only own 3 Armani shirts and 2 pairs of Yeezys)

P.S. I'm looking to do GEM and I've been watching PostGradMedic a lot recently and would really recommend his content, he's far more down to earth than a lot of med youtubers and his interviews with people who went into GEM from humanities/unrelated backgrounds are really worth a watch.
Im looking into GEM too. Most of the medic youtubers are useless, will check out his channel, thanks for sharing

Reactions: 1
Im looking into GEM too. Most of the medic youtubers are useless, will check out his channel, thanks for sharing
There’s a smaller youtuber called Lydia Martin that I think has done some videos on this, not all of her channel is great but she’s done some informative videos on entry pathways etc

Reactions: 2
Oh god, he's hit peak productivity guru bellend with his thumbnail / video:
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 19.49.24.png

Has anyone watched it?

Then there's this one which I just???? Can someone please tell influencers that "productive" and "productively" don't need to be applied to every bleeping thing under the sun? Like, if you're doing an activity (singing, playing piano, writing), isn't that inherently 'productive' because you're doing the thing?

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 19.49.15.png

With his recent, uninspired offerings it's a marvel how he's almost at 1.5m subscribers. I was tempted by his '21 tips for my 18 year old self' video, but nah, it'll be regurgitated cringe from elsewhere.

I wish he'd just stuck to the study / medicine content. :( He's like a caricature of himself now.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Oh he needs to bore off 🥴 I can't believe people watch, and in some cases, idolise, this bullshit.

I am all about being productive but can't we enjoy hobbies simply as they are anymore? Can't I just read a book without it being something profound and life-changing? Sing for the sake of it making me feel good?

I feel like I'm going to go on a rant so I'll leave it there

• Heart
Ew, the idea of treating a hobby of piano playing as a thing you need to be productive with is insane. I have a close friend who is a professional calssical musician and even she doesn't treat her practice time as obsessively as that!