Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure how I feel about the beard... 😂

View attachment 301954
Ha! The commenters for this vid seem to love it 🤣
Also the way he reads just makes me sad! We’ve talked about it before but it’s such a mechanical way to read. Not to mention, why not read the actual Greek Stoics, instead of popular nonfiction about them? (Philosophy grad here, and a fan of reading the source material!)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
He graduated Cambridge with a degree in Medicine and now he's making "guru" videos on Youtube. What an absolute waste of his hard work and intelligence.

The whole guru/sell a course/write a self help book virus has infected him.

He will look back on these videos in 10 years and cringe at himself.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It's the Doctor Oz and Ken Jeong path. Why burn yourself out working 20 hour shifts in a demanding, often thankless job when you can make the same amount of money being an entertainer? I'd say he's better than Dr. Oz since he's not giving out harmful medical advice.

Reactions: 4
He graduated Cambridge with a degree in Medicine and now he's making "guru" videos on Youtube. What an absolute waste of his hard work and intelligence.

The whole guru/sell a course/write a self help book virus has infected him.

He will look back on these videos in 10 years and cringe at himself.
Do we think he’ll return to medicine after this years break to focus on YouTube?

I wonder if he’s highly intelligent but deeply insecure. Maybe his channel gives him validation that he doesn’t get as a doctor (just spitballing here).

Reactions: 6
Do we think he’ll return to medicine after this years break to focus on YouTube?

I wonder if he’s highly intelligent but deeply insecure. Maybe his channel gives him validation that he doesn’t get as a doctor (just spitballing here).
apparently, as mentioned in some of his videos, most of his family are doctors, and he sort of felt 'pushed' to follow that path (his brother jokes about how in family reunions, his relatives look down on him for being a computer science graduate instead of a medicine graduate)
maybe he wants to make up for the lost time and pursue a more 'entertainment'-based career? i also agree with the others that he has fallen into the rabbit hole of productivity, coaching, self-improvement and all that jazz, also i find it worrying how openly he talks about money (his income, his investments, the tesla car...) and i find him very money-driven, maybe i'm wrong

Reactions: 10
um...maybe i'm judging too fast but as a Spaniard myself, what the F is he doing in the canary islands? why isn't he in England respecting lockdown?
i know tenerife and gran canaria are the safest places in Spain (they are the ONLY places with no curfew, in the rest of Spain you must be at home either at 10:00PM, 11:00PM or 00:00 depending on your region) but that is not a strong motive or reason to travel!?

Reactions: 3
With the huel content he is very close to crossing the line of becoming one of those "productivity" gurus completely out of touch...
This productivity thing is not balanced anymore (imho) or at least not as before which is a pity because I really e enjoyed his content and personality

Reactions: 8
He’s onto the huel/soylent thing? Ugh. It’s so stupid. Devised by Silicon Valley types who think stopping to eat a meal is wasting time. This is not a healthy (mentally or physically) approach to life!

He’s onto the huel/soylent thing? Ugh. It’s so stupid. Devised by Silicon Valley types who think stopping to eat a meal is wasting time. This is not a healthy (mentally or physically) approach to life!
Isn't huel that meal replacement stuff? Seems a weird thing for a doctor/medical student to be peddling...

Isn't huel that meal replacement stuff? Seems a weird thing for a doctor/medical student to be peddling...
yep! A UK brand I think, but same vibe as Soylent. There's lots of articles from journalists trying it and it sounds dire. A very bland life.

Reactions: 2
Exactly...

Coming from medicine I thought he was interesting and out of the box in the beginning... but he started shilling junk and snake oil for a buck, no integrity as a medical professional whatsoever. It pisses me off as he also represents an idea of what a medical professional is to the general public and it's unethical and sleazy.

He is coming across as desperate in these videos. Desperate to seem like he has everything under control, slick, instagrammable. What a waste of a Cambridge Medical degree... People need help now!!

He is coming across as desperate in these videos. Desperate to seem like he has everything under control, slick, instagrammable. What a waste of a Cambridge Medical degree... People need help now!!
yes - he seems overly preoccupied with his image nowadays and seems less at ease in front of the camera. It’s hard to explain, but I had that sense watching his working holiday video.

Reactions: 2
apparently, as mentioned in some of his videos, most of his family are doctors, and he sort of felt 'pushed' to follow that path (his brother jokes about how in family reunions, his relatives look down on him for being a computer science graduate instead of a medicine graduate)
maybe he wants to make up for the lost time and pursue a more 'entertainment'-based career? i also agree with the others that he has fallen into the rabbit hole of productivity, coaching, self-improvement and all that jazz, also i find it worrying how openly he talks about money (his income, his investments, the tesla car...) and i find him very money-driven, maybe i'm wrong
Yeah, I get the impression he pursued medicine for the wrong reasons. Tons of young adults think they want to be doctors simply because they excel in biology. There's also societal and familial pressure to find a prestigious, well paying job. In the US, tons of med school hopefuls change their plans during undergrad because they realize medicine is actually a poor fit for them. But iirc medical school in the UK is direct entry from high school. So I'm guessing Ali had to commit to one of the toughest jobs out there at an age when he still knew very little about the world. I'm sure there are also advantages to the British system, but I'll save that debate for a medical school forum.

• Heart
have you seen his post on youtube asking if we would buy a book on productivity written by him? he made a poll and received very different results, from people saying 'yes i'd buy one if the reviews are good' to 'no, not really'
i find it odd to ask your followers that sort of question if you haven't even started to write it. i think he doesn't want to 'waste' his time on writing if it doesn't sell well later. it's like he's looking for new sources of income. his interest on the medic career is nowhere to be seen

have you seen his post on youtube asking if we would buy a book on productivity written by him? he made a poll and received very different results, from people saying 'yes i'd buy one if the reviews are good' to 'no, not really'
i find it odd to ask your followers that sort of question if you haven't even started to write it. i think he doesn't want to 'waste' his time on writing if it doesn't sell well later. it's like he's looking for new sources of income. his interest on the medic career is nowhere to be seen
The book would just be regurgitating everything he ‘reads’ on 3x speed on audible or whatever too.

Reactions: 5
Agree. It’s clear he’s there for the £££ which tk be fair he’s never hidden - and he has some pretty open videos about his money and spending. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be successful or financially secure, but it’s like he’s looking for an easy way to get a quick buck if that makes sense? Like if he gets enough streams of income (his company, YouTube/Insta, sponsorships, skillshare courses - does he have Patreon?) he will be happy and able to relax. I personally think — and I may well be talking out of my arse here —that he doesn’t find YouTube or medicine (based on how he’s dropped it for now) all that fulfilling and it’s starting to show in his content. (Side note: if medicine is something he realised he doesn’t want to do that’s fine, coming to terms with that kind of thing is another matter though and I think he’s lost and thinking through what to do now, but focussing on money over fulfilment).

But I don’t know Ali IRL and may be way off base. I personally wouldn’t want a book from him. There’s enough productivity content out there and he’s not exactly reinventing the wheel. I guess it’s nice he’s asking, but is also comes across a bit arrogant - he’s not an expert. If he wanted to do it for his fans he could put together an eBook or something.

• Heart
yes, i know he wanted to take some rest from medicine and he said he'd like to work in the US (i believe he's studying for the USMLE exam but he must be studying just a very few hours a day, i don't think that's his top priority right now) and i may be wrong, but i don't see it because he has a real interest in working abroad/learn new things/be a better doctor, but making more money, as doctors are better paid in the US...does that make sense or am i looking too much into it?

a bit off topic but i see kharma medic looking up to ali
they did a couple of videos together, and before his channel skyrocketed, kharma would ask ali about productivity tips and apps that would boost his productivity :rolleyes: furthermore, in one of kharma's last videos he shows his notion set up and guess what...he's looking into investing and what are the best brokers to invest in the s&p500 (just like ali does, according to his video 'how to get started wit investing')
i'm not an expert but investment requires a lot of knowledge of the market, stocks, and the different factors that might make them either grow or go down... it's quite dangerous that ali promotes investing when many people don't know how it works and may lose fortunes in there, just my opinion

furthermore, in one of kharma's last videos he shows his notion set up and guess what...he's looking into investing and what are the best brokers to invest in the s&p500 (just like ali does, according to his video 'how to get started wit investing')
i'm not an expert but investment requires a lot of knowledge of the market, stocks, and the different factors that might make them either grow or go down... it's quite dangerous that ali promotes investing when many people don't know how it works and may lose fortunes in there, just my opinion
Eh I disagree with that personally - yes, everyone should do their own research before investing and do some introspection to ensure that the money they are looking to invest is a sum they are happy to lock away for 5-10+ years and potentially lose.

However, investing in low-cost index trackers like the S&P500 is a very common passive approach to investing. Passive investing in index trackers has all sorts of benefits over the sort of active investment decisions you suggest are needed to invest, such as low fees & taking a representative cut of the whole market (via an index tracker) will give you returns that are roughly equal to overall market returns. Whereas if you take an active approach you will pay higher fees & are no more likely to get returns above the market average. Ali's suggestion to invest in low-cost trackers is a perfectly sound one, see also Warren Buffet et al.'s suggestion of the same thing.

Reactions: 3