Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He reminds me of the ex beauty blogger shameless maya, her channel went crazy with subscribers, high views, and she moved to LA from Canada, set up a team to do everything and now shes broke and somewhere in the Swedish countryside with a guy 10 years younger than her who she married during the pandemic and now has a baby with

She burnt through her cash and had videos towards the end about being broke and getting rid of her team. She very much reminds me of Ali.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
PTYA also came out at a point in the pandemic where he could prey on the whole parasocial relationship aspect of his followers/customers. When you cannot go out and live your life, I can imagine a lot of the oddballs who have signed up to his course would happily drop £1500 to hang out with Ali.
The PTYA seems too big to fall, there will always be dozens of poor idiots who fail to recognize survivorship bias and pay him willingly. There's a video in which the PTYA is analyzed and the conclusion is basically that it is a circlejerk:
(PTYA part starts at ~12:00)

Reactions: 2
The PTYA seems too big to fall, there will always be dozens of poor idiots who fail to recognize survivorship bias and pay him willingly. There's a video in which the PTYA is analyzed and the conclusion is basically that it is a circlejerk:
(PTYA part starts at ~12:00)
That's actually sickening. I'd be quite embarrassed if I was Ali. He has no shame though

Reactions: 1
black people in the UK only make up 3% of the population ... why are you shocked there is not black person in his less than 100-person team?
it wouldn't be fair if ali hired a black person just for diversity, not bc they were any good

black people in the UK only make up 3% of the population ... why are you shocked there is not black person in his less than 100-person team?
it wouldn't be fair if ali hired a black person just for diversity, not bc they were any good
He doesn’t have to hire someone just to fill a quota, i’m sure if he widened the net he could have employed an ethnic minority person with the right skill set like himself

Reactions: 3
Is anyone shocked at him saying his business will being in £5m this year?!?!
No tbh sounds about right

However I don't think his business is scalable over time. I think that that 5m is a soft ceiling. Eventually he'll sell all the courses he can and he'll have to downscale back to a small team (2 or 3) doing vlogs and clickbait content.

Stephan Graham also said that.

Reactions: 3
No tbh sounds about right

However I don't think his business is scalable over time. I think that that 5m is a soft ceiling. Eventually he'll sell all the courses he can and he'll have to downscale back to a small team (2 or 3) doing vlogs and clickbait content.

Stephan Graham also said that.
I rarely wish failure on people cause I think efforts should get rewarded but I'll be damned if I don't wish for this clown to just miserably fail already and get off the internet already with his bullshit. It's absolutely insane how easy things have been for him and how everyone is just holding him in such high regard over nothing and just throwing money and attention at him in return for garbage content. He's an out-of-touch stuttering manchild who just quotes other people, has no charisma, no sense of humour, nothing. South-Asians are so easily impressed and will click Like on anything. Willing to bet that's the only reason why Abdaal's channel got so far cause it sure as hell isn't cause of his personality.

Reactions: 8
At least ali abdaal can always return to medicine if his youtube career fails
or he may have saved up so much money that he no longer needs to work after his business fails

A few things I wanna say from some posts I read:

1. I think Ali talked about giving 10% of his income to charity a couple of years ago. Don't remember much but he wanted to perform Zakat ("Zakat is an Islamic finance term referring to the obligation that an individual has to donate a certain proportion of wealth each year to charitable causes.")

2. To the people saying he has done this and that, what have you done? Well, we don't know e/o, so thinking we haven't done something within our means is demeaning. And that does not exclude Ali from criticism. The difference b/w us and him is that he decided to put himself out there. He is not above it all. And isn't it better that people critique him here instead of bombarding him everywhere else? At least, he can ignore this platform if he wants to.

3. Ali knows about this thread. He mentioned it in his video and podcast, before.

4. He comes from a well to do family. Sure, he worked hard and all that. But he also stated in his BLM video, that he never faced any discrimination, and his mom has sheltered him a lot. I commend him on his honesty and acknowledgement. Not many people do that.

5. Sometimes, Ali promotes a facade. Elizabeth reacted to one of his Day in a Life videos and you can see how she was trying her best not to roll her eyes and say something mean. At times, she spoke up, like when Ali said he is trying to give minimalism a try and Elizabeth ( a minimalist) states that Ali is far from being one. And how wearing similar shirts and neutral colors do not equate to minimalism. I mean, for Christ sakes, this guy uses multiple different note-taking apps for multiple reasons. Like, what the F is that? And even Graham Stephan is surprised at his spending habits. Stephan, a millionaire (?) with frugal habits.

6. Ali lacks individuality. He had it before, now he doesn't anymore. For instance, he became famous with his Active Recall and Spaced Repetition videos. There were many videos before him. But he was good at explaining it, tapped into its potential and made a name. I applaud him for that. But, that's all. We know many people who make videos by taking inspiration from other. But they spin their individuality into it. For instance, most of Matt D'avella's videos are not that innovative. They have been done before by other YouTubers. But they manage to include their perspective and edits into the topic and that makes them different. Ali, on the other hand, just parrots what he read in a book or article. It's okay to take inspiration, but if you cannot incorporate your own views into them, then you lack individuality.

Want a simpler analogy? Remember in school, how there are two kinds of good students? The studious ones and the meritorious ones? Well, Ali fits the former group. He is a good student, successful, and getting great results. But, he is just sprouting the things he mugged up from books on his answer scripts.

PS: Beg pardon for grammar mistakes. It's a long post. English isn;t my first language and tbh, I couldn't be bothered to proofread it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I rarely wish failure on people cause I think efforts should get rewarded but I'll be damned if I don't wish for this clown to just miserably fail already and get off the internet already with his bullshit. It's absolutely insane how easy things have been for him and how everyone is just holding him in such high regard over nothing and just throwing money and attention at him in return for garbage content. He's an out-of-touch stuttering manchild who just quotes other people, has no charisma, no sense of humour, nothing. South-Asians are so easily impressed and will click Like on anything. Willing to bet that's the only reason why Abdaal's channel got so far cause it sure as hell isn't cause of his personality.
Yeah I'm also not one to wish failure on others but everything about Ali has become so unlikable as he has grown in confidence. He was always a smug person but now that has become pure arrogance has he backs it up with richness and success. Now he has actual successful people spending time with him and legitimatising him and it's infuriating because he has to little to offer. As he's actually got rid of the "working hard" part of his success then it becomes even easier to hate it.

A few things I wanna say from some posts I read:

1. I think Ali talked about giving 10% of his income to charity a couple of years ago. Don't remember much but he wanted to perform Zakat ("Zakat is an Islamic finance term referring to the obligation that an individual has to donate a certain proportion of wealth each year to charitable causes.")

2. To the people saying he has done this and that, what have you done? Well, we don't know e/o, so thinking we haven't done something within our means is demeaning. And that does not exclude Ali from criticism. The difference b/w us and him is that he decided to put himself out there. He is not above it all. And isn't it better that people critique him here instead of bombarding him everywhere else? At least, he can ignore this platform if he wants to.

3. Ali knows about this thread. He mentioned it in his video and podcast, before.

4. He comes from a well to do family. Sure, he worked hard and all that. But he also stated in his BLM video, that he never faced any discrimination, and his mom has sheltered him a lot. I commend him on his honesty and acknowledgement. Not many people do that.

5. Sometimes, Ali promotes a facade. Elizabeth reacted to one of his Day in a Life videos and you can see how she was trying her best not to roll her eyes and say something mean. At times, she spoke up, like when Ali said he is trying to give minimalism a try and Elizabeth ( a minimalist) states that Ali is far from being one. And how wearing similar shirts and neutral colors do not equate to minimalism. I mean, for Christ sakes, this guy uses multiple different note-taking apps for multiple reasons. Like, what the F is that? And even Graham Stephan is surprised at his spending habits. Stephan, a millionaire (?) with frugal habits.

6. Ali lacks individuality. He had it before, now he doesn't anymore. For instance, he became famous with his Active Recall and Spaced Repetition videos. There were many videos before him. But he was good at explaining it, tapped into its potential and made a name. I applaud him for that. But, that's all. We know many people who make videos by taking inspiration from other. But they spin their individuality into it. For instance, most of Matt D'avella's videos are not that innovative. They have been done before by other YouTubers. But they manage to include their perspective and edits into the topic and that makes them different. Ali, on the other hand, just parrots what he read in a book or article. It's okay to take inspiration, but if you cannot incorporate your own views into them, then you lack individuality.

Want a simpler analogy? Remember in school, how there are two kinds of good students? The studious ones and the meritorious ones? Well, Ali fits the former group. He is a good student, successful, and getting great results. But, he is just sprouting the things he mugged up from books on his answer scripts.

PS: Beg pardon for grammar mistakes. It's a long post. English isn;t my first language and tbh, I couldn't be bothered to proofread it.
1. He may do. Maybe he should put that in his "How much money I spent in a year" videos but usually he doesn't say he donated much to charity? The last one I saw from him didn't mention how much he spends on charity so you have to assume it's nothing.

2. Honestly the only person who can trulytalk tit on Ali is the guy who did the video about him being the King of Toxic Productivity has he's put himself out there in the world to criticise Ali. However as you said we're all allowed to criticise him and the fact he puts himself in the public eye means he's as criticisable as any other public figure on this website.

4. I know the school Ali went to and it is one of the best ones in Essex. Not the top end grammar school but very good school. He undoubtedly has benefitted from a lot of unfair advantages like coaching/tutoring for the Eleven Plus test and access to computers and coding in a time where many people did not have that.

5. This is due to Ali's main personality flaw and that's the last book / video / podcast he consumed is now his new world view. It's why one week he's a minimalist and the next week he wants to be a rapper and the next week he's obsessed jazz piano and the week after he's now passionate about cooking etc. etc.

6. Ali's video offer nothing unique. Look at the format of Matt D'avella's videos. They are well filmed and have interesting formats and funny jokes. The content is often basic but they are worth watching because of the fresh presentation and perspective he puts on things. Ali's videos in the name of productivity and best return on investment are just him sitting in front of a a desk in the studio talking about a book. They are so boring and he does not offer a fresh perspective on anything which is why he is worthless. He only views his content has a way to make money.

Reactions: 4
I don't believe that ali never faced discrimination. Has he never had one classmate/stranger/passerby say something rude about Muslims/foreigners/immigrants to him?

I don't believe that ali never faced discrimination. Has he never had one classmate/stranger/passerby say something rude about Muslims/foreigners/immigrants to him?
You are conflating "Ali has privilege" with "Ali does not face discrimination". They are not the same and in Ali's case the benefits he gets from his privilege most likely outweigh the discrimination he faces.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I've been looking for a place to vent about Ali for two years and just discovered this site today. I'm so glad I did. I'm also in the medical field and I am so glad he left. I have been feeling negatively about him for years, but it wasn't until his video contemplating coming to America that really pissed me off. He clearly wanted to come to the US to vlog, not to take a prestigious program seriously. He was clearly the kind of doctor doing it for clout (either because he liked the sound of his own voice, the praise from family, the praise from everywhere else). These kind of people have some of the worst bedside manner which is why people feel so alienated and hurt by doctors. My biggest concern was that he cared so much more about YouTube than medicine, so who is to say he would've ever kept up with medical advances in the field? He could've seriously hurt people. Honestly, him leaving was the best thing for the medical field. His best decision, truly.

Sometimes I check in on him hoping he has found something that truly makes him passionate again. It's really sad watching him lose his soul to the productive hyper-capitalist machine that has him churning out useless content with no originality whatsoever. It feels like watching an MLM sometimes. It's just such a sad money grab. Like that book. Ali, if you don't have anything to say, why are you writing a book? He's writing one because all his productivity buddies do it and you want more ~passive income streams.~ He has no business writing a book.

Looking forward to posting here. As a fellow physician, his type of person is everywhere in the medical field and is the reason we struggle so much as a field with connecting to patients.

Reactions: 15
I've been looking for a place to vent about Ali for two years and just discovered this site today. I'm so glad I did. I'm also in the medical field and I am so glad he left. I have been feeling negatively about him for years, but it wasn't until his video contemplating coming to America that really pissed me off. He clearly wanted to come to the US to vlog, not to take a prestigious program seriously. He was clearly the kind of doctor doing it for clout (either because he liked the sound of his own voice, the praise from family, the praise from everywhere else). These kind of people have some of the worst bedside manner which is why people feel so alienated and hurt by doctors. My biggest concern was that he cared so much more about YouTube than medicine, so who is to say he would've ever kept up with medical advances in the field? He could've seriously hurt people. Honestly, him leaving was the best thing for the medical field. His best decision, truly.

Sometimes I check in on him hoping he has found something that truly makes him passionate again. It's really sad watching him lose his soul to the productive hyper-capitalist machine that has him churning out useless content with no originality whatsoever. It feels like watching an MLM sometimes. It's just such a sad money grab. Like that book. Ali, if you don't have anything to say, why are you writing a book? He's writing one because all his productivity buddies do it and you want more ~passive income streams.~ He has no business writing a book.

Looking forward to posting here. As a fellow physician, his type of person is everywhere in the medical field and is the reason we struggle so much as a field with connecting to patients.
i’m also in medical field and mirror your sentiments about Ali’s attitude to medicine, but have to say the the discontent amongst doctors in the UK seems to be rife. Poor work life balance, long on-call hours for little remuneration (at least whilst in training) are some of the reasons why doctors are reluctant to take up NHS training posts, i’ve met many doctors who have been locuming for several years as they dread going into specialty training

Yeah I'm also not one to wish failure on others but everything about Ali has become so unlikable as he has grown in confidence. He was always a smug person but now that has become pure arrogance has he backs it up with richness and success. Now he has actual successful people spending time with him and legitimatising him and it's infuriating because he has to little to offer. As he's actually got rid of the "working hard" part of his success then it becomes even easier to hate it.

1. He may do. Maybe he should put that in his "How much money I spent in a year" videos but usually he doesn't say he donated much to charity? The last one I saw from him didn't mention how much he spends on charity so you have to assume it's nothing.

2. Honestly the only person who can trulytalk tit on Ali is the guy who did the video about him being the King of Toxic Productivity has he's put himself out there in the world to criticise Ali. However as you said we're all allowed to criticise him and the fact he puts himself in the public eye means he's as criticisable as any other public figure on this website.

4. I know the school Ali went to and it is one of the best ones in Essex. Not the top end grammar school but very good school. He undoubtedly has benefitted from a lot of unfair advantages like coaching/tutoring for the Eleven Plus test and access to computers and coding in a time where many people did not have that.

5. This is due to Ali's main personality flaw and that's the last book / video / podcast he consumed is now his new world view. It's why one week he's a minimalist and the next week he wants to be a rapper and the next week he's obsessed jazz piano and the week after he's now passionate about cooking etc. etc.

6. Ali's video offer nothing unique. Look at the format of Matt D'avella's videos. They are well filmed and have interesting formats and funny jokes. The content is often basic but they are worth watching because of the fresh presentation and perspective he puts on things. Ali's videos in the name of productivity and best return on investment are just him sitting in front of a a desk in the studio talking about a book. They are so boring and he does not offer a fresh perspective on anything which is why he is worthless. He only views his content has a way to make money.
I think we both agree on all of this. I totally forgot that he made several expenses videos and you are right, he never mentioned the charity once, in them. So, I guess, he doesn't donate anymore, or else it would have been on the list, along with his multiple subscriptions and memberships and courses. Totally slipped my mind.

his words. not mine. he said it in the BLM video. also, the way people treat you is related to the kind of social circle you are in. perhaps he got lucky in that case.

alis stupid company.PNG

In his latest video he goes through his company structure.

20 people + 8 people he's hiring for. Also everyone has the job title ""Head of _____" which is kind of ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Would be interesting to see what these Head of people are being paid
It really proves that job titles mean nothing. How can you be "Head of Social Media" when you're the only person in the business running the social media 😆 Like yes it is correct but it doesn't mean much.