Alcoholism

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you everyone for posting your stories, they've really made me feel like I'm not alone for the first time in years.

I've been told my whole life that I'm not allowed to talk about my family to anyone and it would make me an evil person but I've been under so much stress that I'm going to write my thoughts down and if it's traced back to me and I lose them then that's how it is. Otherwise I feel like I could crumble.

My person(s) are my parents. I'm 99% sure my mum is an alcoholic and I'm not sure if I'd classify my dad as alcohol dependent or just a habitual drinker (he has drunk every single night for decades - probably since I was born - but usually in moderate amounts - more on a non-work night - and he has a home breathalyser so if it's a work-night he stops in-time to be under the limit for when he commutes in the morning.)

My mum had a bad upbringing and both of them suffered intense trauma before I was born that they've never recovered from. My dad has always drunk but I never noticed it as a problem when I was a kid. My mum swears that she never drunk a single alcoholic drink when my sister and I were kids but I remember that we used to have a bottle of cider always in a cupboard. I mentioned it to my mum recently and she said it was my dad's and that she never had a drop but I feel like she did and she's lying to me but I can't remember enough to know if she's telling the truth. I've also got a couple of photos of her with me when I'm young and she has the 'drunk' look on her face that I've seen so many times now.

When I was in my early teens (almost 20 years ago) she had a massive breakdown and attempted suicide and I pretty much became her mental health carer. She started on anti-depressants but she's admitted to me that they don't work but she doesn't want to try any others in case they work less. Both of my parents believe that therapy is morally wrong and so she's never got any more help. She had to leave work on medical grounds and hasn't worked since.

I remember being in my late-teens and I know she didn't drink then. My nana would encourage her to "just have one" whenever she went out with us and, when I was around 21, she did have "just one" and things spiralled from there.

I finally managed to move out when I was 22 and she wasn't an alcoholic at that point. I noticed that she was getting drunk more often though and when I was 24 I realised that it was becoming a real problem. I'm 34 now and it's only got worse since.

I haven't seen her since before lockdown one but the last time I saw her she was in an absolute state. She gets drunk every single day. A 'light day' consists of a bottle of wine and four cans of cider. A very bad day can be two bottles of wine and six cans and a couple of cocktails or even more. Her drinking has slowly gone from 'drunk by 9pm every day' up to now 'drunk by 4pm every day' and it's only climbing earlier. She says that it's fine because she "goes to bed early" but she only goes to bed because she's too drunk to stay awake. Both of them say that they can't sleep unless they drink or they have nightmares about their traumatic experience so they're both self-medicating with alcohol to an extent.

I've lost count of the amount of times she's burned her hands and arms trying to fill up a hot water bottle and then not noticed until the next morning. She can't feed herself when she's drunk, she just lies her head on the table and pours the food partly into her mouth. She can't stand up either, she crawls around the floor like a two-year-old and can barely talk, just mumbles unintelligibly. She'll eventually throw a tantrum and then my dad will 'put her to bed' where she crawls up the stairs and then lies in bed eating chocolate (one day I'm sure she'll choke on it and that will probably be the end of her. She's choked on food when drunk many times already).

She has severe memory loss when she drinks. I came out as a lesbian in Oct 2019 (I waited so long because I knew my parents wouldn't be happy and I didn't want to upset them) and when she's sober she's 'fine' with it but I've had so many phone calls from her telling me how awful I am for choosing to be gay and how much I've upset her and how she wants to have a proper daughter and how I'm doing this to spite her and that if I loved her I'd be straight and so many horrible things. Then she doesn't remember that she's said them and when I tell her she says "no, I wouldn't say that, I'm fine with it."

I'm not allowed to be upset with her. If she does something to upset me I have to forgive her straight away otherwise she'll start to panic and says her depression will get worse because of me. It doesn't matter what she's done, I just have to shrug my shoulders and move on and never mention it again because she's sorry and that should be enough and it isn't fair to blame her for something that she's sorry about.

She lies about how much she drinks. I've banned her multiple times from calling me when drunk and I can tell by her voice when she's been drinking but she'll swear that she hasn't and on the sixth time of asking she'll laugh and say she's only had a couple so it doesn't count. I can't not answer the phone though in case she is actually having a crisis. Then, the next morning, she'll say that she's sorry and I have to forgive her and we go round this merry-go-round again and again and again.

I've lost hope that she'll change. She's starting to be affected physically by the alcohol now. She's the same age as my dad but people assume that they're mother and son. They're in their sixties but she looks 85-90. She won't leave the house, even pre-covid she left maybe six times a year. She's forgotten how to drive. She's forgotten how to use money. She's almost completely sedentary at home. She struggles to stand up now, even when sober, and she says it is because of her age but my dad walks 5-8 miles every day in all weather so it isn't her age. She's started to get what she calls 'tired eyes' and I'm struggling to understand what she means but it's something about how they won't stay still? I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of neurological damage going on.

I've tried everything. I've tried begging, pleading, ignoring, crying, getting angry, distracting her, bargaining and nothing makes a dent. I told her that she drinks too much and she says "I didn't drink when you were a child so I deserve to drink now" but a) I think that she probably did and b) she obviously wasn't drinking for a reason when I was in my late teens so, considering she's smoked for over 40 years and isn't health-conscious, she must have known not to drink somehow.

I've told her she'll die and she says "that's fine, this is how I want to die." I've told her that her dying affects me and she shrugs her shoulders and says that she's "an adult and can do what she wants". I've shown her photos of people in late stage liver disease/failure and told her that's what is coming and she says "oh well, we've all got to die of something."

I honestly think that she thinks she isn't an alcoholic because she doesn't drink first thing in the morning and she isn't the stereotypical 'homeless drunk on a park bench' but that's exactly where she'd be if my dad wasn't working and able to keep a roof over their heads. She tells me that the amount she drinks isn't a big deal and if I was normal and 'understood how the world works' (I'm currently waiting for an autism evaluation) that I'd understand that she drinks a perfectly normal amount and would stop nagging her when she clearly doesn't have a problem. I've tried to get through to my dad multiple times but he says "that's just how she is" and isn't willing to help them both change.

I honestly feel like it is only a matter of time before she dies, either choking or falling or ending up with liver failure. I feel guilty for thinking it but I hope she dies before my dad does. He has the slightest chance of being able to cope without her but if he goes first she's no chance.

I'm absolutely tee-total after seeing what's happened to her but one of the things that hurts the most is how they both try and push me to drinking when I do see them. I'm always 'ruining the fun' and 'oh just have one' and 'live a little'.

Ever since her breakdown I've felt like I need to be the glue that holds her mental health together. I suffer from my own mental health challenges (I was diagnosed with depression at 14 but my parents forbid me to get treatment and told me I'd be a bad person if I did so I'm only now getting help at 34 after realising that their approach to mental health is not helpful.)

I have felt so much guilt for so long that I haven't been able to fix her but reading this thread has helped me realise that maybe it isn't my job to fix her. I love her, and I'll always be here for her if she wants help but I need to be able to talk about this, I can't let her keep pouring all her trauma into me without being allowed to have a way to let it out. I think when they are open in real life I'll try and go to an al anon meeting - at least one, to see if it helps.

Sorry for the very long post but this has been building up for the past 10 years and it's the first time I've felt able to put my thoughts down. Just for peace of mind - she is an alcoholic right? This isn't normal behaviour / a normal amount of drink that I just think is too much because I don't understand?
I'm so sorry to hear your story, it truly touched me as I am lesbian too and drank in the past to mask my fears of what my parents would think. When your mum says what she does about you, it's because she doesn't understand through refusal to understand not everyone is straight. We fear what we don't understand, and she is most certainly an alcoholic.

It's so hard as if someone doesn't want help no one can force them. Just remember none of this is your or your siblings fault even if she tries to make it seem that way. She has chosen this as harsh as it sounds, and it does sound like shes very poorly. Do you have any other family members that are neutral and could help you intervene?

Sending my love to you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm so sorry to hear your story, it truly touched me as I am lesbian too and drank in the past to mask my fears of what my parents would think. When your mum says what she does about you, it's because she doesn't understand through refusal to understand not everyone is straight. We fear what we don't understand, and she is most certainly an alcoholic.

It's so hard as if someone doesn't want help no one can force them. Just remember none of this is your or your siblings fault even if she tries to make it seem that way. She has chosen this as harsh as it sounds, and it does sound like shes very poorly. Do you have any other family members that are neutral and could help you intervene?

Sending my love to you ❤
Thanks.I don't really have any other family to intervene - I have one older sister but I've been NC with her for seven years, she's a very violent and sadistic person so sadly life's better without her around. I have my nana (dad's mum) but I'd never be forgiven if I mentioned it to her and she's always been a big drinker herself so I don't think she'd understand. My mum pretty much became a hermit after her breakdown and hasn't spoken to any of her friends or neighbours in over 19 years so there's no one there either and she refuses to have a smart phone or internet access in the house so there's no online support groups I can find her and she lies to the doctor (and finds it hilarious) that she's tee-total so they can't help her.

I think you're right, nobody can help her until/unless she wants it but I'll be there if she does decide to ask.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you everyone for posting your stories, they've really made me feel like I'm not alone for the first time in years.

I've been told my whole life that I'm not allowed to talk about my family to anyone and it would make me an evil person but I've been under so much stress that I'm going to write my thoughts down and if it's traced back to me and I lose them then that's how it is. Otherwise I feel like I could crumble.

My person(s) are my parents. I'm 99% sure my mum is an alcoholic and I'm not sure if I'd classify my dad as alcohol dependent or just a habitual drinker (he has drunk every single night for decades - probably since I was born - but usually in moderate amounts - more on a non-work night - and he has a home breathalyser so if it's a work-night he stops in-time to be under the limit for when he commutes in the morning.)

My mum had a bad upbringing and both of them suffered intense trauma before I was born that they've never recovered from. My dad has always drunk but I never noticed it as a problem when I was a kid. My mum swears that she never drunk a single alcoholic drink when my sister and I were kids but I remember that we used to have a bottle of cider always in a cupboard. I mentioned it to my mum recently and she said it was my dad's and that she never had a drop but I feel like she did and she's lying to me but I can't remember enough to know if she's telling the truth. I've also got a couple of photos of her with me when I'm young and she has the 'drunk' look on her face that I've seen so many times now.

When I was in my early teens (almost 20 years ago) she had a massive breakdown and attempted suicide and I pretty much became her mental health carer. She started on anti-depressants but she's admitted to me that they don't work but she doesn't want to try any others in case they work less. Both of my parents believe that therapy is morally wrong and so she's never got any more help. She had to leave work on medical grounds and hasn't worked since.

I remember being in my late-teens and I know she didn't drink then. My nana would encourage her to "just have one" whenever she went out with us and, when I was around 21, she did have "just one" and things spiralled from there.

I finally managed to move out when I was 22 and she wasn't an alcoholic at that point. I noticed that she was getting drunk more often though and when I was 24 I realised that it was becoming a real problem. I'm 34 now and it's only got worse since.

I haven't seen her since before lockdown one but the last time I saw her she was in an absolute state. She gets drunk every single day. A 'light day' consists of a bottle of wine and four cans of cider. A very bad day can be two bottles of wine and six cans and a couple of cocktails or even more. Her drinking has slowly gone from 'drunk by 9pm every day' up to now 'drunk by 4pm every day' and it's only climbing earlier. She says that it's fine because she "goes to bed early" but she only goes to bed because she's too drunk to stay awake. Both of them say that they can't sleep unless they drink or they have nightmares about their traumatic experience so they're both self-medicating with alcohol to an extent.

I've lost count of the amount of times she's burned her hands and arms trying to fill up a hot water bottle and then not noticed until the next morning. She can't feed herself when she's drunk, she just lies her head on the table and pours the food partly into her mouth. She can't stand up either, she crawls around the floor like a two-year-old and can barely talk, just mumbles unintelligibly. She'll eventually throw a tantrum and then my dad will 'put her to bed' where she crawls up the stairs and then lies in bed eating chocolate (one day I'm sure she'll choke on it and that will probably be the end of her. She's choked on food when drunk many times already).

She has severe memory loss when she drinks. I came out as a lesbian in Oct 2019 (I waited so long because I knew my parents wouldn't be happy and I didn't want to upset them) and when she's sober she's 'fine' with it but I've had so many phone calls from her telling me how awful I am for choosing to be gay and how much I've upset her and how she wants to have a proper daughter and how I'm doing this to spite her and that if I loved her I'd be straight and so many horrible things. Then she doesn't remember that she's said them and when I tell her she says "no, I wouldn't say that, I'm fine with it."

I'm not allowed to be upset with her. If she does something to upset me I have to forgive her straight away otherwise she'll start to panic and says her depression will get worse because of me. It doesn't matter what she's done, I just have to shrug my shoulders and move on and never mention it again because she's sorry and that should be enough and it isn't fair to blame her for something that she's sorry about.

She lies about how much she drinks. I've banned her multiple times from calling me when drunk and I can tell by her voice when she's been drinking but she'll swear that she hasn't and on the sixth time of asking she'll laugh and say she's only had a couple so it doesn't count. I can't not answer the phone though in case she is actually having a crisis. Then, the next morning, she'll say that she's sorry and I have to forgive her and we go round this merry-go-round again and again and again.

I've lost hope that she'll change. She's starting to be affected physically by the alcohol now. She's the same age as my dad but people assume that they're mother and son. They're in their sixties but she looks 85-90. She won't leave the house, even pre-covid she left maybe six times a year. She's forgotten how to drive. She's forgotten how to use money. She's almost completely sedentary at home. She struggles to stand up now, even when sober, and she says it is because of her age but my dad walks 5-8 miles every day in all weather so it isn't her age. She's started to get what she calls 'tired eyes' and I'm struggling to understand what she means but it's something about how they won't stay still? I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of neurological damage going on.

I've tried everything. I've tried begging, pleading, ignoring, crying, getting angry, distracting her, bargaining and nothing makes a dent. I told her that she drinks too much and she says "I didn't drink when you were a child so I deserve to drink now" but a) I think that she probably did and b) she obviously wasn't drinking for a reason when I was in my late teens so, considering she's smoked for over 40 years and isn't health-conscious, she must have known not to drink somehow.

I've told her she'll die and she says "that's fine, this is how I want to die." I've told her that her dying affects me and she shrugs her shoulders and says that she's "an adult and can do what she wants". I've shown her photos of people in late stage liver disease/failure and told her that's what is coming and she says "oh well, we've all got to die of something."

I honestly think that she thinks she isn't an alcoholic because she doesn't drink first thing in the morning and she isn't the stereotypical 'homeless drunk on a park bench' but that's exactly where she'd be if my dad wasn't working and able to keep a roof over their heads. She tells me that the amount she drinks isn't a big deal and if I was normal and 'understood how the world works' (I'm currently waiting for an autism evaluation) that I'd understand that she drinks a perfectly normal amount and would stop nagging her when she clearly doesn't have a problem. I've tried to get through to my dad multiple times but he says "that's just how she is" and isn't willing to help them both change.

I honestly feel like it is only a matter of time before she dies, either choking or falling or ending up with liver failure. I feel guilty for thinking it but I hope she dies before my dad does. He has the slightest chance of being able to cope without her but if he goes first she's no chance.

I'm absolutely tee-total after seeing what's happened to her but one of the things that hurts the most is how they both try and push me to drinking when I do see them. I'm always 'ruining the fun' and 'oh just have one' and 'live a little'.

Ever since her breakdown I've felt like I need to be the glue that holds her mental health together. I suffer from my own mental health challenges (I was diagnosed with depression at 14 but my parents forbid me to get treatment and told me I'd be a bad person if I did so I'm only now getting help at 34 after realising that their approach to mental health is not helpful.)

I have felt so much guilt for so long that I haven't been able to fix her but reading this thread has helped me realise that maybe it isn't my job to fix her. I love her, and I'll always be here for her if she wants help but I need to be able to talk about this, I can't let her keep pouring all her trauma into me without being allowed to have a way to let it out. I think when they are open in real life I'll try and go to an al anon meeting - at least one, to see if it helps.

Sorry for the very long post but this has been building up for the past 10 years and it's the first time I've felt able to put my thoughts down. Just for peace of mind - she is an alcoholic right? This isn't normal behaviour / a normal amount of drink that I just think is too much because I don't understand?
I am so sorry that you’re going through this and I can relate to so much of it. Both of my parents were alcoholics too, my mum died of it as did my Nan and my dad died of cancer but he was drinking right up to the last few weeks and having read his dr letters and medical records I do believe his drinking was a contributing factor.

I can fully understand the absolute toll this will all be taking on you, it’s so painful watching your mum do that to herself. My mum used to say the same sort of things that she’d be dead soon and didn’t care if she died but when they actually told her that she didn’t have long left she fell apart and was angry and cried and it broke my heart because like you I had begged and pleaded with her to stop and even though I told her she would die if she carried on I don’t think I actually believed it myself until it happened.

The only words of advice I can give you is that you have to look after yourself, that doesn’t mean turning your back if you don’t want to but knowing when you need to give yourself a break for your own mental health. I put myself through the ringer and got ill at times, I wish now I could have gone back and paced myself a bit more. Joining Al Anon was probably the best thing I ever did when it came to all of this, I felt completely alone before that so it helped enormously to know that so much of what I had took on as being my fault or responsibility was actually not. There is a Facebook group called Coaisathing (children of alcoholics is a thing) that might be helpful to look at and to be able to talk with other people in a similar situation. Just always remember it is not your fault. I am really sorry xx

• Heart

Writing all this, though it might seem disloyal according to what has been said to you, will do you an enormous amount of good. You have been suffering far too much on your own. Your family have placed a massive burden upon you and you deserve a huge amount of credit for a) not drinking yourself b) keeping yourself sane over the years.
Many posters here have good advice as they've had experience in this area and can feel the pain you are going through. We all know that begging and pleading with an alcoholic, especially one that does not even acknowledge that they are one, is like whistling into the wind. The force for change has to come from within themselves. Your job, which won't come naturally to you because you have always put other people first, is to practice self-care.
We all wish you the very best. Stick around and read what everyone on this thread has to say because there is an awful lot of heartfelt good sense.
xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Certain parts of your post resonate with me so much and I assume they do for others on this thread.
I don't really talk about my person in real life either, even with husband I rarely talk about her. I found reading other peoples stories almost quite comforting though, as I don't 'know' anyone else who has this situation.
I totally relate with the things you have said, I've wished my person would die before my parents too as I can't imagine how she would be if she didn't have thier support and encouragement. My person spent 6 months in rehab and detox, she came back and relapsed after about 3 months. She has now been sober for 3 months and engages with her Al anon meetings and the zoom calls etc. As far as I know she is doing well. I don't keep in touch and only speak to her if I have to. My parents are very proud of her.

For me though I find it hard to forget. She tore my whole family apart and changed our lives forever. I am not sure I will ever be able to move on and for me ignorance is bliss so I distance myself. If I became involved with her it would effect my mental health and I'm not prepared to let her do that again.

You sound like you have really struggled. I know al anon meetings are still going on, is it worth reaching out and seeing what they can offer? Take care x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone. I feel quite a bit better today and less overwhelmed by everything having blurted it all out and knowing other people go through this sort of thing (though obviously I wish you didn't.) I hate teams/zoom calls and it would do me more harm than good to go on one but I'm determined to give an al anon meeting a go when they return in real life, I've found one in my city that I can make the day/time for so for now I'll keep plodding along and distracting myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone. I feel quite a bit better today and less overwhelmed by everything having blurted it all out and knowing other people go through this sort of thing (though obviously I wish you didn't.) I hate teams/zoom calls and it would do me more harm than good to go on one but I'm determined to give an al anon meeting a go when they return in real life, I've found one in my city that I can make the day/time for so for now I'll keep plodding along and distracting myself.
There is a lot to be said about distraction. It helped me so much when things were at the absolute worst. I used to find just having a couple of hours watching something on the TV or going for a run with a podcast really helped, basically anything that stopped me from thinking about it and what could or might happen in the future. I used to find that I would suddenly think, oh I haven't thought about her for the last few hours.

I have never done al anon but my parents go and find it really useful. It could be what you need, when you can make a face to face.

You can of course use this thread as an outlet too, as I said, it really helped me and still does. X

• Heart
Hugs to you all. xx I am grateful having you guys on here that would understand the devastation and heartache all of it causes.

Reactions: 6
*warning* I'm going to have a small vent.

So, I posted here in December about a situation that was happening in my life. You were all very helpful, thank you.
Except one, who suddenly seemed to change the thread from a support place for people who had alcoholic family members to a literal support thread for alcoholics.

I didn't say anything at the time, I felt it was better to just withdraw but now they have been identified as false I feel I can comment.

I already scrolled rapidly past this persons posts because I don't believe they were genuine but to have them suddenly appear on a help thread and detail it with massively triggering stuff was a problem for me.

I have no right to say what people can and can't post and I know that but sometimes it's so blatantly obvious these people are not real. They did not help me or my situation I requested help with.

I'm not really sure what my point is, sorry. Other that what a piss take and I'm very cross.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
*warning* I'm going to have a small vent.

So, I posted here in December about a situation that was happening in my life. You were all very helpful, thank you.
Except one, who suddenly seemed to change the thread from a support place for people who had alcoholic family members to a literal support thread for alcoholics.

I didn't say anything at the time, I felt it was better to just withdraw but now they have been identified as false I feel I can comment.

I already scrolled rapidly past this persons posts because I don't believe they were genuine but to have them suddenly appear on a help thread and detail it with massively triggering stuff was a problem for me.

I have no right to say what people can and can't post and I know that but sometimes it's so blatantly obvious these people are not real. They did not help me or my situation I requested help with.

I'm not really sure what my point is, sorry. Other that what a piss take and I'm very cross.
I know who you are referring too, i felt the same way. Not to be a Debby Downer - but this little thread of ours was my only safe place to discuss this serious issue. Feel free to chat to on here of DM message me. I am so sorry you felt like this . Big Hug

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Ladies, I feel exactly the same. I think I ignored those posts as they didn’t sit well with me, where as I do try and give support to anyone else on this thread. It makes me very cross that so many people here have been here for genuine support at very difficult times, and may people have said they’ve never shared before, and someone can take advantage.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Damn, just found out who people are talking about - I'll read the SSF thread at lunch to catch-up fully on what's going on but if they were faking everything then that's such a scummy thing to do - I almost didn't post here because I was worried I'd say something that upset the posters* who were struggling with alcoholism - I hope they didn't turn anyone off posting.

* no offence meant to anyone who is actually struggling

Hi , i have been reading this thread but i havent commented, What is the ssf thread please ? sorry for barging in im just curious. x Hope you are all well x

We had a lady on here who had a problem with alcohol who had a fake persona, nothing she said was true.

all revealed all the thread same sex flirting

Reactions: 1
Can we not go and turn this thread into one about that person, they have taken over so many other threads but this one is too important and too raw for me and so many other people. It’s not a gossip thread, it’s for people who have lost loved ones or are struggling with someone in their family dealing with Alcoholism and I don’t want anyone to feel like that’s being overshadowed by gossip

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Yes, how is everyone doing in general at the moment?

I'm doing okay. My mum has backed off a bit since I told her I was starting anti-depressants and I haven't had any drunken insulting phone calls. Or many phone calls at all really - she's leaned on me a lot since her breakdown and used to phone at least twice a day for years but now it's suddenly once or twice a week. Part of me thinks she realised it was getting a bit much for me but I think it's more likely that she's in a huff about me trying to get my mental health sorted, she's always hated the idea of me getting treatment and even refused to let the GP treat me when I was first diagnosed as depressed at 14.

It makes me feel like a bit of a horrible person to admit it but it's been nice not to have to be focused about being 'on' every day and worrying about picking her up.

Reactions: 2

I'm doing okay. My mum has backed off a bit since I told her I was starting anti-depressants and I haven't had any drunken insulting phone calls. Or many phone calls at all really - she's leaned on me a lot since her breakdown and used to phone at least twice a day for years but now it's suddenly once or twice a week. Part of me thinks she realised it was getting a bit much for me but I think it's more likely that she's in a huff about me trying to get my mental health sorted, she's always hated the idea of me getting treatment and even refused to let the GP treat me when I was first diagnosed as depressed at 14.

It makes me feel like a bit of a horrible person to admit it but it's been nice not to have to be focused about being 'on' every day and worrying about picking her up.
So glad you’re doing okay and we’re always here if you need a chat! That’s really good that you’re taking care of yourself and your own mental health, I remember feeling like some sort of carer with my mum and it’s not the way the roles should be. Just remember you can’t control what anybody does except from yourself, so you have to do what’s best for you. Your mum knows you love her and will always be there for her but she also needs to know she can’t hold you back and bring you down also ❤

On another note, does anyone start to struggle even more around Mother’s Day? It’s shoved in my face everywhere I look and is just another reminder she’s not here. Same goes for Father’s Day ect 🥺

You’re definitely not a horrible person it really takes it’s toll. Make the most of the breaks where you can get them. I once read a quote, I can’t remember exactly how it went or even if it was specifically about alcoholics but it said something along the lines of ‘they don’t want their life vest, they want yours’ and I could really relate to that. Your mum may very well be upset in some way that you’re working on yourself and I think that comes from a kind of jealousy because they wish that they could do it but they can’t or won’t so they try to drag down others around them. It does bring up a lot of guilt to have to keep a distance but you can’t help people who don’t want to help themselves x

• Heart
You’re definitely not a horrible person it really takes it’s toll. Make the most of the breaks where you can get them. I once read a quote, I can’t remember exactly how it went or even if it was specifically about alcoholics but it said something along the lines of ‘they don’t want their life vest, they want yours’ and I could really relate to that. Your mum may very well be upset in some way that you’re working on yourself and I think that comes from a kind of jealousy because they wish that they could do it but they can’t or won’t so they try to drag down others around them. It does bring up a lot of guilt to have to keep a distance but you can’t help people who don’t want to help themselves x
This made so much sense to me wow! When I would be having fun or buy anything nice for myself she would put me down and make me feel so awful. Like if she was depressed we all had to be, I know she was in such a horrible place so I can understand but that wasn’t right. I feel guilty even saying this

• Heart
This made so much sense to me wow! When I would be having fun or buy anything nice for myself she would put me down and make me feel so awful. Like if she was depressed we all had to be, I know she was in such a horrible place so I can understand but that wasn’t right. I feel guilty even saying this
I still feel guilty when I talk about my parents but I was always made to feel guilty. Every now and then I do have moments where I feel so angry with them that I feel less guilty, but it is hard to say these things sometimes. It sounds like your mum was threatened by or jealous of you being happier than she was but that wasn’t your fault. It’s just so sad that they couldn’t get the help they needed for everyone to be able to be happier x

• Sad
Reactions: 1