Adults colouring

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's amazing @Snippysnips! 😍 Well done! ⭐

That lady youtuber Sarah Clarke does a good tutorial on colouring a realistic gold compass if it's any use to you? I know it's a solid object rather than cloth of gold but maybe you could tweak the process?

Thanks ☺an yeah I've seen some of her work, she's really good, I enjoy watching them, I didn't know she did a compass though so I'll need to check it out, I've seen her disney ones an kids colouring book ones

Reactions: 1
I got some watercolour pencils for Christmas (from me to me 😉) and I’m currently sat watching YouTube tutorials at 2am 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have an extensive collection but I have to admit that i get so anxious about my coloring not being good enough that I stick to coloring in the front pages only lol (the copyright page, this book belongs to, etc). I need to get over the fear of imperfection for real as I have so many that I'm clearly not using. I minored in art for my bachelors and now I'm scared of coloring books ffs 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I’ve just found this thread. I love colouring and have all the Johanna Basford books apart from the creativity one as I’m not really interested in drawing. I’ve a few others like the Kerby Rosanes, Millie Marotta, Rita Berman ones.

I’ve found that when they first came out I would slap any old pencil down and not really worry about it but now from seeing so much amazing ones online I end up more stressed over choosing the right colours, shading it properly etc. So I take long breaks from it, then I pick it up again and I’m all “ right I’m going to just colour, no shading”. Then the shading creeps in and it’s a vicious circle 😂.

I‘ve had a book sitting out with pencils all month but I’ve not gotten around to doing any colouring this month.

I’ve just found this thread. I love colouring and have all the Johanna Basford books apart from the creativity one as I’m not really interested in drawing. I’ve a few others like the Kerby Rosanes, Millie Marotta, Rita Berman ones.

I’ve found that when they first came out I would slap any old pencil down and not really worry about it but now from seeing so much amazing ones online I end up more stressed over choosing the right colours, shading it properly etc. So I take long breaks from it, then I pick it up again and I’m all “ right I’m going to just colour, no shading”. Then the shading creeps in and it’s a vicious circle 😂.

I‘ve had a book sitting out with pencils all month but I’ve not gotten around to doing any colouring this month.
This is why I don't watch YouTube anymore as they were a bit stressful when I knew I would never get the time to be able to progress to anywhere near their level so just pick up the pencils and do what I do now.

• Heart
This is why I don't watch YouTube anymore as they were a bit stressful when I knew I would never get the time to be able to progress to anywhere near their level so just pick up the pencils and do what I do now.
I think that is definitely the way to go. Some of them use about a dozen pencils on one flower, I haven’t the patience for that 🤣

• Haha
I totally feel the same way with you all, when I was younger it was no problem to pick a random picture to colour an pick up any pencil to use, now I have to find a picture thats just right for my mood an I am always like should I do this should I do that, what colours do I need etc

I do love the YT vids but I do think they sorta spoil you a bit, I just can't colour the way I used to when I was younger lol I have to try an blend an layer now, they did make me quit a few years back because I was like ill never get to that standard but I pushed myself back into it an while am still not that standard I am happy at where I am now an can enjoy it

I just got the 30 days of creativity by johanna basford, going hopefully try it starting January 1st, it would be nice to have one book completed lol, I have so many but most have maybe 2 or 3 that's done an a handful of half done ones in them

• Heart
Does anyone else start off great then do something that screws it up? The flowers and most of the stuff inside thectend I am happy with. Then I made a mess of the red cushion and where I started the tent. These are Castle Arts pencils and I feel like the colour on the barrel doesn’t match the actual colour so I end up with a big mess. People in colouring groups talk about swatching pencils and I always feel like that’s a bit OTT but maybe I need to suck it up and do it with these ones. (My other pencils are true to colour, I have Polychromos and Prismacolor ones among others)

Attachments

• Heart
It looks really nice to me, i don't see any mistakes

It's polychromos I have, although I don't swatch everyone of them I do usually have a sheet of paper next to me I can quickly swatch before I use them if the papers white, the johanna basford books as well have the tester sheets at the back that I use since her pages are a type of yellowish cream colour

Is that the world's of wonder book? I recognise the picture

It looks really nice to me, i don't see any mistakes

It's polychromos I have, although I don't swatch everyone of them I do usually have a sheet of paper next to me I can quickly swatch before I use them if the papers white, the johanna basford books as well have the tester sheets at the back that I use since her pages are a type of yellowish cream colour

Is that the world's of wonder book? I recognise the picture
Thanks I feel like I was really heavy handed with the blue and red. It is the Worlds of Wonder book, I think it’s my favourite one of hers.

I did that with my polychromos the first time I got them, went in really heavy handed an realised they didn't work like that an I needed to learn to start light, once they burnish then there's no fixing it cause all the little grooves in the paper are gone

I'd love to try some wax core pencils to see what they are like next to the oil based ones since I'd imagine wax would be easier to blend, what are the castle pencils core? I've heard those are quite good, I've been trying to get the 120 arteza set but those are sold out everywhere an ebay are taking twice the price which am not paying

Yeah worlds of wonder is my favourite one of hers as well

They are wax based I think. I hope you manage to find the Arteza ones soon. It’s annoying when someting is out of stock

Thanks, I'll maybe look into the castle if I can't get the arteza ones, I had been looking at prismacolour but I've heard so many horror stories about people buying them online an them all being broken or getting 3 or 4 of the same pencils so it makes me nervous since they aren't budget friendly an I had heard arteza was a really good substitute for them

I currently have covid thats why i havent posted in awhile havent had the energy but i did finish my advent colouring before Christmas!

I wanted to do a few today just haven't got the energy to even pick up at pencil which is a shame as ive already picked out what one i wanted to do hopefully i have the energy later to do it!

Attachments

• Heart
My Prismacolour broke easily until I got a sharpener with a handle and now they’re a lot better.

I currently have covid thats why i havent posted in awhile havent had the energy but i did finish my advent colouring before Christmas!

I wanted to do a few today just haven't got the energy to even pick up at pencil which is a shame as ive already picked out what one i wanted to do hopefully i have the energy later to do it!
Oh no hope you feel better soon, yay for finishing the advent though.

• Heart

Sorry to hear that, I hope you feel better soon, your advent calander is looking really good, loving all the colours, I hope you can get back into it again soon

I want to do some but I use the dinning table for it all an it's set up for new years dinner, it was like Xmas as well, couldn't really do anything till after Xmas cause the table was all set up

My Prismacolour broke easily until I got a sharpener with a handle and now they’re a lot better.
I've heard of people putting them in the microwave 😳 but I don't think it's recommended, I have also heard of people leaving them in a warm place to soften an rebind the wax though so am not sure if maybe that will help them, my sharpener isn't one with a handle, it's the faber castell one, it's amazing for getting a super sharp point but am not sure how it would work with a softer core

• Heart
Does anyone else start off great then do something that screws it up? The flowers and most of the stuff inside thectend I am happy with. Then I made a mess of the red cushion and where I started the tent. These are Castle Arts pencils and I feel like the colour on the barrel doesn’t match the actual colour so I end up with a big mess. People in colouring groups talk about swatching pencils and I always feel like that’s a bit OTT but maybe I need to suck it up and do it with these ones. (My other pencils are true to colour, I have Polychromos and Prismacolor ones among others)
I don't see a mistake and think it's looking amazing so far!

It's really a tedious ball ache but I swatched all my pens and pencils out. They aren't always true to the colour you think you are getting.
I do my swatches with a block filled and saturated box and 1,3,6 layers boxes so I have a good idea of the shades I can get... my best mate says I'm anal retentive :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I know I'd take 16,000 hours longer to do things if I didn't swatch though, I'm just my own worst enemy! :LOL:

Funnily enough I was looking at the Castle pencils last night wondering if they were worth a try! I covet more pencils! :devilish:

I don't see a mistake and think it's looking amazing so far!

It's really a tedious ball ache but I swatched all my pens and pencils out. They aren't always true to the colour you think you are getting.
I do my swatches with a block filled and saturated box and 1,3,6 layers boxes so I have a good idea of the shades I can get... my best mate says I'm anal retentive :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I know I'd take 16,000 hours longer to do things if I didn't swatch though, I'm just my own worst enemy! :LOL:

Funnily enough I was looking at the Castle pencils last night wondering if they were worth a try! I covet more pencils! :devilish:
Thank you, it might turn out okay. I think I should have probably planned colours better.

haha I don’t know if I have the patience to swatch to that degree.

we always covet more pencils 😂

• Haha