Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know all moisturisers/skin care is different for everyone and I chop and change, but I’m pretty heartbroken that the liz Earl dry/sensitive has gone, the new one is so heavily fragranced (sensitive skin!?) it’s a shame as it was my go to.
I’ve had the week from hell and still sat here debating getting the UFO 2.

Reactions: 1
Could anyone please advise me what to use as SPF on my face, as my moisturiser doesn't contain it? I'm in my 40's, only use products not tested on animals and have a normal skin which is sensitive. I know it's probably better to just go for a moisturiser already containg an SPF, but I've tried so many products that really hurt my face, even those that are claimed to be gentle. Any advice would be appreciated.

Could anyone please advise me what to use as SPF on my face, as my moisturiser doesn't contain it? I'm in my 40's, only use products not tested on animals and have a normal skin which is sensitive. I know it's probably better to just go for a moisturiser already containg an SPF, but I've tried so many products that really hurt my face, even those that are claimed to be gentle. Any advice would be appreciated.
You might be best with a mineral (physical) sunscreen as opposed to a chemical one, which some people are sensitive to and can sting especially around the eyes. Look for ones with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the main ingredients instead of (not as well as) one of the many chemical ones, that usually start with octi- or oxy- (best to google a list). I'm sensitive and I really like the Clinique mineral SPF 50 fluid in the white and yellow bottle. The down side is mineral sunscreens can often leave a white cast, but there are good formulations around that don't do this, just best to read product reviews so you don't end up disappointed.

The one I use - and can't imagine ever straying from - is Australian Gold Botanical Sunscreen SPF50 Tinted. It's mineral, as @cholulamare suggests, but leaves no white cast. The finish is just perfect (for me) - not at all shiny but not dulling either - and it feels very comfortable. I don't wear foundation but apparently it goes well under foundation.

It was a recommendation by Angie (HotandFlashy) who has done extensive testing of suncreens. Her videos about sunscreens are pretty informative.

• Heart
I use La Roche Posay Anthelios spf 50 but it makes my skin so greasy. I might check out Australian Gold. I was going to go for Clinique city block.

I use La Roche Posay Anthelios spf 50 but it makes my skin so greasy. I might check out Australian Gold. I was going to go for Clinique city block.
I like Clinique City Block, it's what I'm using at the moment and is nice under makeup and doesn't make my skin greasy, and I'm pretty oily in the t-zone. But I haven't tried Australian Gold so can't compare - I'm tempted to try that next now!

May I ask what the deal is with niacinamide? What does it actually do?
It's recommended for blemishes and oily skin, and apparently reduces pore size - this isn't something I really bother about though, and am not sure how it does this, I have read articles that suggest it makes them appear smaller as it reduces oil/congestion in them rather than actually magically shrinking them. It's also fine to use alongside most other ingredients so is easy to incorporate into your routine. I've only been using it around a month and am definitely much less oily!

I also just had a Google and found this: "Niacinamide has been shown to strengthen the skin barrier function, making it especially beneficial for skin prone to dehydration," says Shabir. An improved barrier prevents trans-epidermal water loss as well as environmental damage. Essentially, a strong skin barrier will keep the good stuff (like moisture) in and the bad stuff (like pollution) out. Additionally, "it helps enhance ceramide production which are tiny lipids that moisturise skin," says Shabir. Which means a double whammy boost for healthy complexions.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I like Clinique City Block, it's what I'm using at the moment and is nice under makeup and doesn't make my skin greasy, and I'm pretty oily in the t-zone. But I haven't tried Australian Gold so can't compare - I'm tempted to try that next now!
Australian Gold Botanical is, hands down, the best sunscreen I've ever used (and over the decades I've tried dozens). Apart from Tretinoin it's the one product I would be devastated to lose if it were discontinued.

A mineral based SPF would suit your sensitive skin. I would avoid moisturiser with SPF built in as they are likely to be chemical SPF which would probably irritate your skin.

Alumier MD do amazing mineral SPFs ranging from SPF40-42. They have one for hydration, a mattifying one and an oil free one called clear shield. I’ve used clear shield and works well under make up.

Alumier is 100% vegan, not tested on animals, paraben free, dye free, artificial fragrance free so it would be good if your skin is normal but sensitive/reactive.

• Heart
Im loving pixi skincare atm, also does anyone else use sudocream for spots? Life changer!!

Reactions: 3
A mineral based SPF would suit your sensitive skin. I would avoid moisturiser with SPF built in as they are likely to be chemical SPF which would probably irritate your skin.

Alumier MD do amazing mineral SPFs ranging from SPF40-42. They have one for hydration, a mattifying one and an oil free one called clear shield. I’ve used clear shield and works well under make up.

Alumier is 100% vegan, not tested on animals, paraben free, dye free, artificial fragrance free so it would be good if your skin is normal but sensitive/reactive.
Thank you so much. I've not heard of that brand before. I'm off to have a look.

• Heart
Australian Gold Botanical is, hands down, the best sunscreen I've ever used (and over the decades I've tried dozens). Apart from Tretinoin it's the one product I would be devastated to lose if it were discontinued.
Do you use the original tinted one, if so can I ask what skin tones you think it would suit? (I'm NW15ish in Mac)

Do you use the original tinted one, if so can I ask what skin tones you think it would suit? (I'm NW15ish in Mac)
I do use the original tinted. It's a long time since I've bought foundation but I've a vague memory of being NW20 in Mac. Last foundation type thing I bought was IT Cosmetics CC Cream (much heavier coverage than I'd expected) and was Light Medium.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the Australian Gold if you do decide to try it.

Hi everyone,
I want to talk Botox and fillers. I'm 36 and tbh don't have many lines or wrinkles but I want to just look "fresher" I feel I look more tired now even when I'm not.

I live in Bangkok and there are a LOT of options here. Can someone knowledgeable talk me through a first time.

Thank you 🙏

It's recommended for blemishes and oily skin, and apparently reduces pore size - this isn't something I really bother about though, and am not sure how it does this, I have read articles that suggest it makes them appear smaller as it reduces oil/congestion in them rather than actually magically shrinking them. It's also fine to use alongside most other ingredients so is easy to incorporate into your routine. I've only been using it around a month and am definitely much less oily!

I also just had a Google and found this: "Niacinamide has been shown to strengthen the skin barrier function, making it especially beneficial for skin prone to dehydration," says Shabir. An improved barrier prevents trans-epidermal water loss as well as environmental damage. Essentially, a strong skin barrier will keep the good stuff (like moisture) in and the bad stuff (like pollution) out. Additionally, "it helps enhance ceramide production which are tiny lipids that moisturise skin," says Shabir. Which means a double whammy boost for healthy complexions.
Thank you!

I'm trying to spend less on skincare and have run out of my Image Vitamin C overnight mask so I picked up Nivea Q10 energy recharging night cream with vitamin c and e on my lunch break. Smells amazing! Has anyone used it?

The reviews seem to be pretty positive across the board so I thought it was worth a shot

Paulas Choice do a couple of really nice mineral sunscreens. No matter how gentle they claim to be chemical ones always tend to make me flair up too with eczema so perhaps you should try a mineral one as well.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for BB cream? I really like Elizabeth Arden visible difference but it has been discontinued.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for BB cream? I really like Elizabeth Arden visible difference but it has been discontinued.
I use the No 7 stay perfect foundation. Its like a very light foundation which is like a BB cream. I really like this product as its buildable but still sheer at the same time ( and for me lasts the entire day) . Its also not expensive ( £15 for 30ml).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.