Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought I had my skincare routine sorted, I’ve been fanatical about my routine all year (I actually started after I had to stop all actives after overdoing the retinol at the end of last year, and I built everything back in slowly). But suddenly, my skin has decided it isn’t happy and I’ve had lots of spots recently. Mostly in areas covered by the mask I have to wear all day at work, so perhaps maskne is responsible, but I’m also getting them in places not covered by the mask too. I’ve always had big visible pores and blackheads have always been a problem on my nose, but I’ve noticed that’s spread to my forehead as well now. I think that might be the rose hip oil I had added in as I understand it can be comedogenic. If that’s even the right word!

my skin feels really nice. I finally seem to have stopped having oily skin for the first time since I hit puberty and became a very shiny faced lady. But it’s not looking very good at the moment and I don’t understand why. I’ve added nothing new in for months, and I should be way past any purging stage. Hmmm. Any thoughts?

I thought I had my skincare routine sorted, I’ve been fanatical about my routine all year (I actually started after I had to stop all actives after overdoing the retinol at the end of last year, and I built everything back in slowly). But suddenly, my skin has decided it isn’t happy and I’ve had lots of spots recently. Mostly in areas covered by the mask I have to wear all day at work, so perhaps maskne is responsible, but I’m also getting them in places not covered by the mask too. I’ve always had big visible pores and blackheads have always been a problem on my nose, but I’ve noticed that’s spread to my forehead as well now. I think that might be the rose hip oil I had added in as I understand it can be comedogenic. If that’s even the right word!

my skin feels really nice. I finally seem to have stopped having oily skin for the first time since I hit puberty and became a very shiny faced lady. But it’s not looking very good at the moment and I don’t understand why. I’ve added nothing new in for months, and I should be way past any purging stage. Hmmm. Any thoughts?
What all products are you using?

What all products are you using?
I think it might be a bit convoluted!

AM
Single cleanse, usually a Superdrug hot cloth cleanser
The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid &Alpha Arbutin mixed with The Ordinary Reservatrol &Ferulic Acid (2 drops each)
Either Superdrug Naturally radiant day cream or Vichy Idealia day cream mixed with 1 or 2 drops of The Ordinary Rose Hip Oil
SPF
Make up

PM
Double cleanse Simple Cleansing Oil followed by a Superdrug hot cloth cleanser
The Ordinary Nicinamide and Zinc

then I alternate between The Ordinary EUK or The Ordinary retinol in squalane (currently 0.5%)

then Superdrug naturally radiant night cream mixed with a few drops of The Ordinary B Oil.

On Sundays I use The Ordinary’s Alpha Lipoic acid instead of EUK or retinol. When I think it is needed I will do The Ordinary’s AHA/BHA peel, or if I only need a little bit of exfoliation I will occasionally use the Glycolic Acid toner and not use Vit C or other things that will not react well to acid. I maybe do the peel once every 10 days or thereabouts and will tend to just use gentle products afterwards rather than things like retinol.

I will sometimes pop a few drops of The Ordinary’s plant derived hemi-squalane if my skin feels parched. Usually in a morning immediately after cleansing.
I am not sponsored by The Ordinary but I rather wish I was. I didn’t have a purge stage and I would be beyond that anyway, and it was working really well; until I remarked to my hubby that I was really happy with my skin, then it immediately rebelled!

I think it might be a bit convoluted!

AM
Single cleanse, usually a Superdrug hot cloth cleanser
The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid &Alpha Arbutin mixed with The Ordinary Reservatrol &Ferulic Acid (2 drops each)
Either Superdrug Naturally radiant day cream or Vichy Idealia day cream mixed with 1 or 2 drops of The Ordinary Rose Hip Oil
SPF
Make up

PM
Double cleanse Simple Cleansing Oil followed by a Superdrug hot cloth cleanser
The Ordinary Nicinamide and Zinc

then I alternate between The Ordinary EUK or The Ordinary retinol in squalane (currently 0.5%)

then Superdrug naturally radiant night cream mixed with a few drops of The Ordinary B Oil.

On Sundays I use The Ordinary’s Alpha Lipoic acid instead of EUK or retinol. When I think it is needed I will do The Ordinary’s AHA/BHA peel, or if I only need a little bit of exfoliation I will occasionally use the Glycolic Acid toner and not use Vit C or other things that will not react well to acid. I maybe do the peel once every 10 days or thereabouts and will tend to just use gentle products afterwards rather than things like retinol.

I will sometimes pop a few drops of The Ordinary’s plant derived hemi-squalane if my skin feels parched. Usually in a morning immediately after cleansing.
I am not sponsored by The Ordinary but I rather wish I was. I didn’t have a purge stage and I would be beyond that anyway, and it was working really well; until I remarked to my hubby that I was really happy with my skin, then it immediately rebelled!
That’s always the way isn’t it 🙈 you definitely should be sponsored by the ordinary 🥰 lol

I think you should really cut down your routine for now, If it was me I would stop using any glycolic acid or retinol until your skin calms down. And definitely no peels 🙈 I also wouldn’t be using glycolic on your skin when your using any kinda of vitamin a or retinol as it can be very reactive on some skins (even if not used on the same day)

You could try a mask for the areas that you have spots/oiliness only, you don’t have to apply to your whole face. Something like mask of magnimity from lush is great for oily skin types, it has peppermint oil, honey and kaolin so it really calms your skin and reduces redness/spots. It’s nice if kept in the fridge too. It has a gentle exfoliating effect too which will help when you are missing the glycolic 🥰

Reactions: 3
I would avoid the rose hip oil under the spf, I was skimming a derm’s analysis of Goop lady’s skincare vid and they recommended against that layering 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 3
So I find it hard to know where to put my oil with spf... they say spf should be the very last thing on - ie after oil, but if you put on oil over the top - it disintegrates the spf? I tend to put spf on v last but after oil has had a chance to sink in

Reactions: 2
A mineral based SPF would suit your sensitive skin. I would avoid moisturiser with SPF built in as they are likely to be chemical SPF which would probably irritate your skin.

Alumier MD do amazing mineral SPFs ranging from SPF40-42. They have one for hydration, a mattifying one and an oil free one called clear shield. I’ve used clear shield and works well under make up.

Alumier is 100% vegan, not tested on animals, paraben free, dye free, artificial fragrance free so it would be good if your skin is normal but sensitive/reactive.
Another vote for Alumier. I’ve been using it for the past 6 weeks and it’s excellent. The SPF is so good.

• Heart
I was debating whether to post this one here or the skin care advice thread however I have decided to post it on here as I need advice on some products too.

Sorry for the long post.

For the past 2 and half years I have been suffering with mild to moderate acne. It started randomly at 21 during the summer. Prior to this I never really had bad acne apart from the odd spots. I did have a few bad spots around 16 however this was easy fixed using tee tree. It is worth noting that my spots starting occurring 11 months after I started the pill. I am unsure whether this is the cause I have now been off them for 8 months and spots are still occurring.

For 2 years I have constantly had a spot on my chin, they always come back in exactly the same place and once it comes to a head I will have red mark that last a lonnngg time. From 2019 -2020 I had the odd cystic spot in random places (top of head, on check, near ear). During this time I have visited the GPS many times, to which I was prescribed antibiotics. (1 month of lymecycline - didn't work, then I did 3 months of doxycycline which did work however 2 weeks after I finished taking them they came back much worse.

Now here we are in 2021 and I still have the same issues. 2 months ago I suffered a nasty breakout along the right side of my face - from forehead to ear, along the hair long. Like a cluster of red spots, with some cystic acne. So I went back to the GP who basically ranted about antibiotics and give three options - 1) 6 months of doxy 2) birth control that is more targeted for acne 3) birth control and Tetracycline. So I opted for birth control as I am unsure on whether to start a course of doxy again. Also the GP said we don't look for a cause, we want to treat the problem.

Current products I use are :

• Dermatological clearing skin cleanser
  • Sometimes pears soap as I have people saying its probably all the products I use. Just use a simple wash.
  • La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo + Blemish Treatment every day
  • I also like the Liz Earle cleanser which I tend to use on days I wear makeup.
  • I previously had the Ordinary Niacinamide 10% however I ran out a couple of months ago. Recently just ordered it again. I found my breakouts where last often however I don't think it reduced my pores on nose.
  • Just order the Paulas Choice BHA acid. Really hope this works for the my blackheads and all the redness I now have at the right side of face.
Also I keep having spots long my hair line and within my scalp. Does anyone have any advice on how to solve this?

Does anyone know if I can use The ordinary niacinamide and Paulas choice BHA together?

Any suncream for acne prone skin?

Any suggests of what else I could try and add would be welcome please. Really want to try and fix it.

I was debating whether to post this one here or the skin care advice thread however I have decided to post it on here as I need advice on some products too.

Sorry for the long post.

For the past 2 and half years I have been suffering with mild to moderate acne. It started randomly at 21 during the summer. Prior to this I never really had bad acne apart from the odd spots. I did have a few bad spots around 16 however this was easy fixed using tee tree. It is worth noting that my spots starting occurring 11 months after I started the pill. I am unsure whether this is the cause I have now been off them for 8 months and spots are still occurring.

For 2 years I have constantly had a spot on my chin, they always come back in exactly the same place and once it comes to a head I will have red mark that last a lonnngg time. From 2019 -2020 I had the odd cystic spot in random places (top of head, on check, near ear). During this time I have visited the GPS many times, to which I was prescribed antibiotics. (1 month of lymecycline - didn't work, then I did 3 months of doxycycline which did work however 2 weeks after I finished taking them they came back much worse.

Now here we are in 2021 and I still have the same issues. 2 months ago I suffered a nasty breakout along the right side of my face - from forehead to ear, along the hair long. Like a cluster of red spots, with some cystic acne. So I went back to the GP who basically ranted about antibiotics and give three options - 1) 6 months of doxy 2) birth control that is more targeted for acne 3) birth control and Tetracycline. So I opted for birth control as I am unsure on whether to start a course of doxy again. Also the GP said we don't look for a cause, we want to treat the problem.

• Sometimes pears soap as I have people saying its probably all the products I use. Just use a simple wash.
  • I previously had the Ordinary Niacinamide 10% however I ran out a couple of months ago. Recently just ordered it again. I found my breakouts where last often however I don't think it reduced my pores on nose.
  • Just order the Paulas Choice BHA acid. Really hope this works for the my blackheads and all the redness I now have at the right side of face.
Also I keep having spots long my hair line and within my scalp. Does anyone have any advice on how to solve this?

Does anyone know if I can use The ordinary niacinamide and Paulas choice BHA together?

Any suggests of what else I could try and add would be welcome please. Really want to try and fix it.
I’m not going to tell you what to do, you’ve got to do what works for you. But from everything I’ve read and viewed I think a dermatologist would likely advise you to perhaps stop using those things for the time being and just use a basic cleanser and moisturiser. Especially while you are on your treatment. Nothing too harsh or drying, and a moisturiser that will keep you hydrated.

You haven’t mentioned a moisturiser in your routine, or is that the effaclar one?

Sorry for the long post.

Please don’t use pears soap on your face, it would really dry your skin out. I also wouldn’t be using any acids right now.

If it was me I would put all of those things to the side and star a fresh. I’d go for something very basic/gentle like la Roche posay toleraine cleanser, it’s really gentle and soothing. Ther moisturisers in that range are really good too. Serozinc toner is also a good shout- it’s basically a mist spray.

I would defo go with the less is more approach.

Random question re: spots on hairline, how often are you washing your hair and what are you using?

I’m not going to tell you what to do, you’ve got to do what works for you. But from everything I’ve read and viewed I think a dermatologist would likely advise you to perhaps stop using those things for the time being and just use a basic cleanser and moisturiser. Especially while you are on your treatment. Nothing too harsh or drying, and a moisturiser that will keep you hydrated.

You haven’t mentioned a moisturiser in your routine, or is that the effaclar one?
Thank you for the reply.

Yeah I've been trying to reduce the number of products I use to see if it helps. Honestly I've tried a lot of things over the past few years to try and solve it. I might wait to use the Paulas choice and Niacinamide then. The main thing atm is the redness caused by the spots I had.

Opps forgot to add the moisturiser.

I use the body shop Oil of life Intensely Revitalising cream mostly. The Clinique moisture surge for under makeup. Sometimes the Body Shop vitamin E Moisture cream, however sometimes I find it a bit oily looking.
I've also got a Nivea moisturiser. I use a SPF one if I'm out walking.

Please don’t use pears soap on your face, it would really dry your skin out. I also wouldn’t be using any acids right now.

If it was me I would put all of those things to the side and star a fresh. I’d go for something very basic/gentle like la Roche posay toleraine cleanser, it’s really gentle and soothing. Ther moisturisers in that range are really good too. Serozinc toner is also a good shout- it’s basically a mist spray.

I would defo go with the less is more approach.

Random question re: spots on hairline, how often are you washing your hair and what are you using?
Thank you. I will stop using the Pears soap from now on. It hasn't yet dried it out however I want to make sure this doesn't happen.

I'll have a look at the La Roche Posay stuff.

I usually wash my hair every 2 days. I can't really leave it 4 days as it gets too greasy looking.

Problems with my scalp started during lockdown. Im currently using Head and shoulders anti dandruff shampoo and conditioner. A couple of months ago I used one by Herbal Essentials however I wasn't keen on it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

Yeah I've been trying to reduce the number of products I use to see if it helps. Honestly I've tried a lot of things over the past few years to try and solve it. I might wait to use the Paulas choice and Niacinamide then. The main thing atm is the redness caused by the spots I had.

I use the body shop Oil of life Intensely Revitalising cream mostly. The Clinique moisture surge for under makeup. Sometimes the Body Shop vitamin E Moisture cream, however sometimes I find it a bit oily looking.

Thank you. I will stop using the Pears soap from now on. It hasn't yet dried it out however I want to make sure this doesn't happen.

I usually wash my hair every 2 days. I can't really leave it 4 days as it gets too greasy looking.

Problems with my scalp started during lockdown. Im currently using Head and shoulders anti dandruff shampoo and conditioner. A couple of months ago I used one by Herbal Essentials however I wasn't keen on it.
I’m not familiar with most of those moisturisers, but I’ve used the Clinique moisture surge before and it’s a good one, nice and hydrating. It will probably work nicely with the effaclar which might dry you out a little bit.

It sounds as though you’ve got some great products already, so I don’t think you need to go buying new stuff. Keep it simple and see how you go. Add in new things gradually once you see how your skin tolerates different products / ingredients. Good luck - come back and let us know how you’re getting on.

Reactions: 1
Thank you for the reply.

Keep the pears soap for your eyebrows if you like that trend 👌🏻 We don’t like to waste our products ha

Hmmm. I know sometimes when people come off the pill they get changes to their scalp, some find it dries out a lot and others find an increase in oil. I wonder if that’s connected to your break in the pill or changing it. Keep a note so you can ask your gp about it when your speaking to them again. The body shop ginger shampoo is meant to be great for sensitive and dandruff on scalp. It can sell out very quickly tho.

Keep the pears soap for your eyebrows if you like that trend 👌🏻 We don’t like to waste our products ha

Hmmm. I know sometimes when people come off the pill they get changes to their scalp, some find it dries out a lot and others find an increase in oil. I wonder if that’s connected to your break in the pill or changing it. Keep a note so you can ask your gp about it when your speaking to them again. The body shop ginger shampoo is meant to be great for sensitive and dandruff on scalp. It can sell out very quickly tho.
Thank you. I'm going to order the ginger shampoo as I've heard that it's meant to be great. So hopefully that settle my scalp issue.
Maybe it is the pill as I did suddenly develop scalp problems after changing to a new pill.

Thank you. I'm going to order the ginger shampoo as I've heard that it's meant to be great. So hopefully that settle my scalp issue.
Maybe it is the pill as I did suddenly develop scalp problems after changing to a new pill.
Hopefully the ginger shampoo will help with that 😘 if no change defo mention it your gp and they can hopefully help with that 😘

Let us know how you get on 🥰 xxx

I wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for moisturisers under foundation? For about 6 months I’ve been using the Superdrug day cream and it’s ok but I’m nearly running out and I wondered if there was a better option? On a similarly related topic, in the last year or so I have found my mascara always leaves a dark mark under my eyes, no matter which product or foundation I never used to get this only up until about a year ago. I’ve started using a NYX powder but it’s not made much difference under the eyes. Within a few hours I look in the mirror and I look like a panda. I use NARS sheer glow foundation and before that it was MAC. Any ideas would be great 👍🏼

I wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for moisturisers under foundation? For about 6 months I’ve been using the Superdrug day cream and it’s ok but I’m nearly running out and I wondered if there was a better option? On a similarly related topic, in the last year or so I have found my mascara always leaves a dark mark under my eyes, no matter which product or foundation I never used to get this only up until about a year ago. I’ve started using a NYX powder but it’s not made much difference under the eyes. Within a few hours I look in the mirror and I look like a panda. I use NARS sheer glow foundation and before that it was MAC. Any ideas would be great 👍🏼
I like to use a hylauronic serum for the moisture boost and then spf/eye cream before foundation. What mascara are you using? The black marks under your eyes would be an issue with your mascara as opposed to your foundation. I would defo recommend a wee setting spray for after you’ve done your make up to help keep everything in place 🥰

I never wear mascara on my bottom lashes for this very reason, it always used to smudge on me. But now you can get tubing mascaras, if you haven’t tried one it’s definitely worth giving it a go. I often use them on my upper lashes and find they don’t budge until you remove them. Clinique do a good one called Lash Power, that’s the one I use and can recommend.

Re moisturiser, all I would say is you don’t have to spend much just go with something suited to your skin type and within your budget. Simple, Neutrogena and Cerave all do good ones.

I’ve just started using cerave, £7 something for a big pump bottle and it’s one of the best moisturisers I’ve ever used.

What body wash do people recommend for dry skin? I’ve used the Aveeno oil in the past but I don’t feel ‘clean’. I don’t like Sanex or Simple 😬

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.