Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I signed up to beautypie as they sent me a code for first month free. I signed up and as I love skincare and make up and have a teenage daughter also who loves makeup and skincare I signed up for the £200 a month one.

I’m not sure what I was expecting but I certainly wasn’t expecting to have to pay the subscription and then for the products on top. I don’t believe that the serum which is supposedly worth £70 say is sold for £17 we all know that brands we are paying for the brand and the marketing and packaging. So a £70 serum costs £17 to produce and market and the rest is profit. This must mean that beautypie’s £17 serum includes a percentage for marketing and profit.

I cancelled without buying anything and luckily as I had used a code hadn’t spent any money. I really didn’t see anything that wowed me and that say I had wanted to buy the serum at £17 I wouldn’t have been paying £17 I’d have been paying £37. Usually in a subscription service you get something for the fee even if it’s just credit in your account.
Im swooning over £200 a month 🙄

I gave up on beauty pie — too much silicone/hyaluronic acid in the products. I’m using up the things I bought (I did quite like the body scrub and the frutizyme 5mun facial, although I don’t do much on the AHA front any more as I think it causes more damage long term (sun) than good/short term (exfoliation). Everything else I bought was meh 😕 .

And I really resented paying P&P on top of membership and product price.

Reactions: 3
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hair detangler or leave in conditioner?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hair detangler or leave in conditioner?
I'm currently loving the leave-in conditioner (and hair mask) by the brand 'It's a 10'. I get it from Victoria Health which might be the only UK stockist. I have fine hair and it seems to add body as well as smoothness.

Reactions: 1
Heads up - steer clear of the Ole Henriksen banana eye cream 😨
I’ve used a whole pot of this and am fine phew!

The Kiehls Avocado eye cream however I get a similar reaction to those photos! I’ve tried it on 2 occasions leaving a few months in between hoping it was something else as wanted to love it!

parking myself here so i can have a read and keep track of where i am.

• Haha
Just found this thread, bloody love it!
I had suspected covid in April. Had all the symptoms, GP said I had a clinically moderate case. Well. I have never felt so tit. Months on I'm still having skin rashes, extreme fatigue and joint pain. However, I have found some total gems that have kept my symptoms largely under control so I hope this is helpful!
French pharmacy skincare only. Really stripped back regime. Bioderma sensibo micellar cleanser. Spritz of face toner from avene. Avene face cream or serum then Paula's choice 2% bha exfoliator once a week at most. I broke out in hives on my face, eczema came back. No problems since using these.
Allergic reactions to body sprays made me look and feel like I had severe sunburn. Bioderma do a thick body cream, soothed it straight away.
Joint pains - sbc do an arnica and sandalwood range. Body gel is soothing, muscke soak calmed down some inflammation that's in my spine (underlying inflammatory condition triggered again by the virus, dr thinks). They do a wintergreen cream, like deep heat. Really warming, use on tight sore muscles, it makes skin go red initially but really took the soreness out. I only used this last week, so a good month after the last allergic reaction. Fingers crossed it doesn't irritate me!
I hope that's helpful to anyone struggling with similar issues 😊

Reactions: 4
I recently changed my routine to follow the one The Ordinary recommend for congestion - Squalane cleanser, niacinamide + zinc serum, their Natural Moisturising Factors + HA, and I also use the AHA BHA peel, and salicylic mask once a week (not on the same day though!).

My skin has cleared around 80% and I'm much less oily on my t zone. I think I want to add in a retinol though. Any recommendations? Doesn't have to be The Ordinary, though I have been looking at theirs and not sure which to choose.

I would also like to add in something hydrating in the evenings now that I have added acids and soon a retinol. Maybe one of The Ordinary's oils? Any recommendations?

Thank you! 🥰:m

Reactions: 2
I recently changed my routine to follow the one The Ordinary recommend for congestion - Squalane cleanser, niacinamide + zinc serum, their Natural Moisturising Factors + HA, and I also use the AHA BHA peel, and salicylic mask once a week (not on the same day though!).

My skin has cleared around 80% and I'm much less oily on my t zone. I think I want to add in a retinol though. Any recommendations? Doesn't have to be The Ordinary, though I have been looking at theirs and not sure which to choose.

I would also like to add in something hydrating in the evenings now that I have added acids and soon a retinol. Maybe one of The Ordinary's oils? Any recommendations?

The natural moisturising factors serum sounds interesting - I will check that out.

In respect of oils, I absolutely LOVE this one. I am as dry as the sahara and yet I never get on with oils. This neogen one, however, is 💣
7D047FC4-8C28-4B72-9F11-4B96DD778913.jpeg

The natural moisturising factors serum sounds interesting - I will check that out.

In respect of oils, I absolutely LOVE this one. I am as dry as the sahara and yet I never get on with oils. This neogen one, however, is 💣
View attachment 458201
Oo I will have a look at this thank you! :)

The Natural Moisturising Factors moisturiser is fine - it's very cheap and you can tell as the texture is a bit tough and it takes a bit of work to rub into the skin. But it hasn't broken me out which is rare for a moisturiser for me.

View attachment 458201
There is a facial spray version of this White Truffle oil which is also great.

I like The Ordinary Retinols in Squalene. The oil really seems to help reduce any dryness retinol can cause.

It depends on how sensitive your skin is. Granactive retinol is not as strong as retinol in squalane, despite the numbers being bigger. I’ve only ever used retinol in squalane myself. Start with the lowest number and build up how often you use it would be my advice. I’m on 0.5% and I assumed my skin could handle it nightly when I started it and, well, it couldn’t! I had to strip my skincare regimen right back to bare minimum over Christmas to settle it. Have built up to every other night, and we’ll see after that.
I’m very tempted by the natural moisturising factors. My skin has become a lot more dehydrated in recent weeks.

I’m 40 now and I’ve finally finally found a routine that fits my sensitive, combination, prone to break outs and dark spots skin. I credit discovering Korean skin care in my mid 30s. I don’t use all Korean products but I have incorporated a 8-9 steps routine twice daily and people think I’m in my late 20s-early 30s and never 40 years old. I’ll take it!

I use oil cleanser, gel cleanser, toner, rose water toner, serum, eye cream, spot treatments, moisturizer, night cream, SPF (A MUST!), depending on the time of day. A mask weekly as well, depending on my mood: sheet, mud etc. For some reason all these layering of products have worked. I rarely break out now unless I eat dairy. If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to list all the products ☺

Using products with vitamin C during the day and AHA at night have also helped lighten old dark acne spots. But it took a long time to see results, almost a year.

Growing up as a teen, I used drugstore skincare like Noxzema acne cleanser and St Ives Scrub, the two worse offenders I’ve now learned lol. No wonder my teenage skin was always so oily and spotty! Then in my 20s-early 30s, I’ve moved onto Clinique, but my skin was still always troublesome.

I also tried cut dairy from my diet a few years ago which has helped enormously with the acne! I miss it terribly but fortunately there are great substitutes nowadays. Whenever I do break down and eat a regular pizza or strawberry cheesecake (soooo yummy), I’ll break out with a massive pimple the next day😕
YES! I swear by K Beauty. I found these really helpful for knowing what goes where:

64FFC187-AC5B-4829-96DE-4EAF673BE4F4.jpeg

84866198-43BC-456B-89A8-B1FD7734C2DB.jpeg

Has anyone tried the Ordinary Salicylic acid mask? What did you think?
Yes. I love using this on my nose and chin to clear pores.

Does anyone know if there’s anyone or where that’s Independent (eg not working for a company pushing products) that can advise products for skin type and what routine would suit your skin?
I have never consulted her, but I know people who have and who rave about her.

I haven't used a toner for so long! I think I stopped when SH said they were worthless? Oh how times have changed since her advice was gospel 😂 I feel the need to go back now

• Haha
I haven't used a toner for so long! I think I stopped when SH said they were worthless? Oh how times have changed since her advice was gospel 😂 I feel the need to go back now
I think the western style toners like the clinique high alcohol content ones are pointless but the east asian style very light moisturising toner/essences are so lovely

I think the western style toners like the clinique high alcohol content ones are pointless but the east asian style very light moisturising toner/essences are so lovely
I use an exfoliating toner after cleansing, and then I layer hydrating toners and essences to lock in the moisture and to stop me from turning into a prune!

I use an exfoliating toner after cleansing, and then I layer hydrating toners and essences to lock in the moisture and to stop me from turning into a prune!
I get a bit confused about layering exoliating toners, do you wait for your face to dry, then apply, then wait for the exfoliater to dry and then layer? Or can you do them all on wet/damp skin?

I get a bit confused about layering exoliating toners, do you wait for your face to dry, then apply, then wait for the exfoliater to dry and then layer? Or can you do them all on wet/damp skin?
no, an exfoliating toner is basically just a liquid exfoliant. I pat my skin dry after cleansing. Sweep on some liquid exfoliant, then go and dry my hair. Then I apply vitamin C/Astalift jelly when I can get my hands on it, and layer hydrating toners, followed by an essence, EL ANR, then moisturiser. If I have time (rare these days) I’ll apply a hydrating Spritz before sunscreen and then before makeup as well as in between other skincare layers. It helps to keep me matte during the summer.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.