Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any advice on dealing with hormonal acne? As an explainer, I’m 34 and have been lucky to never suffer with skin problems til my 30s (great). For the last few years I have had full skin routine with acids, toners, vit c etc. Around a year ago I started to get hormonal acne around my jaw and chin that got progressively worse.

in January I completely stripped back my skincare routine and now all I use is la Roche posay effaclar face wash, and effaclar duo morning and night. I use nivea on my neck, chest, forehead and cheeks and I do use an eye cream too.

it seems like the LRP products have helped insofar as they stopped my painful cystic acne on my jaw. Now, instead of cysts I get actual spots that come to a head. But they come like clockwork every PMS week, finally drying up at the end of my period. Then after a few days despite the next eruption begins. I now have scarring on my chin and jaw.

its so demoralising and I don’t think skincare will help. I have started back on fish oil and evening primrose which I used to take religiously. Wondering if anyone has had success with supplements etc in treating hormonal acne?
Sounds like exactly what I had in my late 20s- it was awful they used to be red inflamed lumps and touching them would hurt, I tried everything and in the end I had some tablets prescribed. They did the job! Got rid of it and then in the end my skin settled down but I had to get abit of filler to even up the dents where it had scarred. You can’t even tell now, however Iv just come off contraception and can feel it creeping on again so think I will need to go the doctors again and get some more prescribed :-(

I’m 40 now and I’ve finally finally found a routine that fits my sensitive, combination, prone to break outs and dark spots skin. I credit discovering Korean skin care in my mid 30s. I don’t use all Korean products but I have incorporated a 8-9 steps routine twice daily and people think I’m in my late 20s-early 30s and never 40 years old. I’ll take it!

I use oil cleanser, gel cleanser, toner, rose water toner, serum, eye cream, spot treatments, moisturizer, night cream, SPF (A MUST!), depending on the time of day. A mask weekly as well, depending on my mood: sheet, mud etc. For some reason all these layering of products have worked. I rarely break out now unless I eat dairy. If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to list all the products ☺

Using products with vitamin C during the day and AHA at night have also helped lighten old dark acne spots. But it took a long time to see results, almost a year.

Growing up as a teen, I used drugstore skincare like Noxzema acne cleanser and St Ives Scrub, the two worse offenders I’ve now learned lol. No wonder my teenage skin was always so oily and spotty! Then in my 20s-early 30s, I’ve moved onto Clinique, but my skin was still always troublesome.

I also tried cut dairy from my diet a few years ago which has helped enormously with the acne! I miss it terribly but fortunately there are great substitutes nowadays. Whenever I do break down and eat a regular pizza or strawberry cheesecake (soooo yummy), I’ll break out with a massive pimple the next day😕

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any advice on dealing with hormonal acne? As an explainer, I’m 34 and have been lucky to never suffer with skin problems til my 30s (great). For the last few years I have had full skin routine with acids, toners, vit c etc. Around a year ago I started to get hormonal acne around my jaw and chin that got progressively worse.

in January I completely stripped back my skincare routine and now all I use is la Roche posay effaclar face wash, and effaclar duo morning and night. I use nivea on my neck, chest, forehead and cheeks and I do use an eye cream too.

it seems like the LRP products have helped insofar as they stopped my painful cystic acne on my jaw. Now, instead of cysts I get actual spots that come to a head. But they come like clockwork every PMS week, finally drying up at the end of my period. Then after a few days despite the next eruption begins. I now have scarring on my chin and jaw.

its so demoralising and I don’t think skincare will help. I have started back on fish oil and evening primrose which I used to take religiously. Wondering if anyone has had success with supplements etc in treating hormonal acne?
Your skin sounds really like mine. No real skin issues as a teen or even young adult and then as I've gotten older it seems to have got more problematic.

I have a very basic skincare routine (La Roche is a favourite of mine too) as keeping it simple works for me. I too was suffering with spots around my chin and mouth. I started using Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum from the Ordinary a few months ago and I've had only one or two spots since. I use it once a day after washing my face, before moisturiser. Not really giving advice, but just what worked for me!

Reactions: 2
Hello Skidders, any recommendations for a cheap, easily available tinted moisturizer?

Does anyone have any good recommendations for products to protect your scalp/hair in the sun? Can’t seem to find anything!

Does anyone have any good recommendations for white heads? I have a routine both morning and night (all NO7) but can’t get rid of white heads under skins. Only very small lumps just on cheek area. I have oily t-zone and normal elsewhere.

Morning Routine:
  • wash face with foam cleanser
  • Apply Cleanser with pad
  • Apply Toner with pad
  • Apply Serum
  • Apply day lotion
Night:
  • Use daily polish
  • Apply Toner with pad
  • Apply Serum
  • Apply night lotion
I use a face mask 1 or 2 times a week, don’t wear foundation (if I wear anything it’s a BB cream at weekends)

I have just purchased Eucerin – DermoPurifyer Oil Control Scrub to try in my routine but any other suggestions very welcome!!

Does anyone have any good recommendations for white heads? I have a routine both morning and night (all NO7) but can’t get rid of white heads under skins. Only very small lumps just on cheek area. I have oily t-zone and normal elsewhere.

Morning Routine:
  • Apply Toner with pad
  • Apply Serum
  • Apply day lotion
Night:
  • Use daily polish
  • Apply Toner with pad
  • Apply Serum
  • Apply night lotion
I use a face mask 1 or 2 times a week, don’t wear foundation (if I wear anything it’s a BB cream at weekends)

I have just purchased Eucerin – DermoPurifyer Oil Control Scrub to try in my routine but any other suggestions very welcome!!
I wonder if it’s one of the products you’re using that’s causing these white bumps? are they actually whiteheads you can pop easily or more under the skin? Under the skin bumps are most likely closed comedones. Usually a good glycolic toner will help clear these as it exfoliates the skin. if I’m honest I would try a glycolic acid over a face scrub as they can be harsh. The Ordinary do a good glycolic toner which I find works well on little bumps and texture. I would suggest using it every other day as you don’t want to over exfoliate and cause more issues.

Finally got the Lacura hot cloth cleanser from Aldi - supposed to be a dupe for the Liz Earle stuff (which I've admittedly never tried). I got the giftset so it comes with four cleansers (2x normal versions, a pink clay one and the vitamin C one) for £5.99.

Only tried the normal version so far but it seems pretty decent. Smells very refreshing and leaves the skin feeling pretty nice. The muslin cloth that comes with it isn't quite as soft as I'd expected (compared to the one that comes with Superdrug's Naturally Radiant) and is weirdly massive? Feels a bit like they've chucked in a tablecloth than a face cloth 😂 But it does the job fine

Morning Routine:
  • Apply Toner with pad
  • Apply Serum
  • Apply day lotion
Night:
  • Use daily polish
  • Apply Toner with pad
  • Apply Serum
  • Apply night lotion

I'm 26 by the way!
I wonder if it’s one of the products you’re using that’s causing these white bumps? are they actually whiteheads you can pop easily or more under the skin? Under the skin bumps are most likely closed comedones. Usually a good glycolic toner will help clear these as it exfoliates the skin. if I’m honest I would try a glycolic acid over a face scrub as they can be harsh. The Ordinary do a good glycolic toner which I find works well on little bumps and texture. I would suggest using it every other day as you don’t want to over exfoliate and cause more issues.

They are very much more under the skin and i have had them for about 5/6 years (i'm 26). I changed my skincare routine last year and they do seem to be better but still bumpy on my cheeks.
I have looked at The Ordinary so i'll order that today and give it a go.
Thank you very much

Great thread! I will be reading through in more depth when I get the chance.

Can anyone suggest anything for acne scarring please?

I suffered with stress induced adult acne for a couple of years and managed to clear it all up with Nip Fab Glycolic Fix Exfoliate 3 years ago. Out of several products including prescribed ones this was the only thing that rid all pimples in their entirety. I used it every single day for a couple of weeks and the acne was banished. I only use it now when I get a break out, which is very rarely and when I do, it is no where as severe as it used to be. However I do notice that is has a very slight aging effect on the skin, that is the only downside. A friend of mine who loves it, also claims the same.

Ginvera Marvel Whitening Gel - amazing product, it is an exfoliating product with no scrub beads but seems to pull the dead skin off your face. Instantly it leaves your skin feeling so squeaky clean and refined. It is very effective for blackheads.

Aldi Lacura Vitimin C Toner - people claim this is a dupe of the more pricier Pixi Tonic - which I have not tried but would love to. It leaves my skin so soft and pores noticeably ALOT smaller. It only cost £4 and the best toner I have used thus far. The smell is beautiful - if anyone remembers those orange animal shaped soaps from Body Shop years ago - that is what it smells like, but can be overpowering for some.

St Ives Apricot Scrub - just a classic I cannot live without. I have used it for over 20 years.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place - once I used this foundation there was no going back to others. I just love the full coverage.

St Ives Apricot Scrub - just a classic I cannot live without. I have used it for over 20 years.
I would recommend to stop using this personally, it has walnut shell which is generally too abrasive for the skin on your face, and long-term effects include scarring as the walnut shell can cause microtears in the skin. Especially since you're already using an exfoliating product, you could be over-exfoliating and actually making the scarring worse. If you do want a replacement I'd recommend a direct acid AHA to aid in exfoliation, something like lactic acid

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Thankyou, I had no idea it could be making my scarring worse! It has always been the go to product for me since my youth. I will definately look into these - is there any specific products you could recommend or does it come in a pure form?

Thankyou, I had no idea it could be making my scarring worse! It has always been the go to product for me since my youth. I will definately look into these - is there any specific products you could recommend or does it come in a pure form?
I know I used to use it too when I was younger, it seemed to be the 'it' drugstore skincare product that everyone had but when I first went to a dermatologist as my skin was so bad they were like oh honey no.
If you find you have more sensitive reactive skin you could try a no frills lactic acid like the one from The Ordinary- they do a 5% and 10% solution, the 5% more suitable for sensitive skin, but you could always build up. I started on the 5% and once that was used up I went onto the 10% but used it less. If you don't have particularly sensitive skin you could start out with the 10%.

Another stronger product is the Paulas Choice AHA Gel or Lotion exfoliant, this has glycolic acid as the main ingredient. As you've had success with the glycolic pads this could be worth looking into as the active ingredient is the same and will give you that quicker cell turnover, and has added moisturisers to help stop your skin from getting too dried out. With these products no matter what you try it's really important to use a good sunscreen on your face daily even if it's not sunny out, because the acids make it much more sensitive to any sun, and that'll help combat the dry and ageing too. Garnier have got a SPF50 Face Fluid that works well.

• Heart
Sounds like exactly what I had in my late 20s- it was awful they used to be red inflamed lumps and touching them would hurt, I tried everything and in the end I had some tablets prescribed. They did the job! Got rid of it and then in the end my skin settled down but I had to get abit of filler to even up the dents where it had scarred. You can’t even tell now, however Iv just come off contraception and can feel it creeping on again so think I will need to go the doctors again and get some more prescribed :-(
What did you get prescribed out of curiosity? Sounds exactly like my skin only get hormonal spots round my chin have pcos. When I get them they are so painful! Murad helps keep it at bay but still have scars and flair up when nothing seems to help

Does anyone know if there’s anyone or where that’s Independent (eg not working for a company pushing products) that can advise products for skin type and what routine would suit your skin?

I’m pretty set in my skincare routine but noticed I have quite a few small blackheads. Any recommendations for products to help this??

What did you get prescribed out of curiosity? Sounds exactly like my skin only get hormonal spots round my chin have pcos. When I get them they are so painful! Murad helps keep it at bay but still have scars and flair up when nothing seems to help
It was lymecycline hun. Yeh my spots used to be so painful. There were awful! Xx

So I signed up to beautypie as they sent me a code for first month free. I signed up and as I love skincare and make up and have a teenage daughter also who loves makeup and skincare I signed up for the £200 a month one.

I’m not sure what I was expecting but I certainly wasn’t expecting to have to pay the subscription and then for the products on top. I don’t believe that the serum which is supposedly worth £70 say is sold for £17 we all know that brands we are paying for the brand and the marketing and packaging. So a £70 serum costs £17 to produce and market and the rest is profit. This must mean that beautypie’s £17 serum includes a percentage for marketing and profit.

I cancelled without buying anything and luckily as I had used a code hadn’t spent any money. I really didn’t see anything that wowed me and that say I had wanted to buy the serum at £17 I wouldn’t have been paying £17 I’d have been paying £37. Usually in a subscription service you get something for the fee even if it’s just credit in your account.

Reactions: 3
Lockdown had me getting interested in skincare for the first time. I’m 40 and always been a miscellair and blue Nivea user and my skin was always ok - no real breakouts (aside from the odd hormonal spot) and no massive issues with wrinkles.
I joined BeautyPie on the annual membership and have used a few products, mixed with high street brands ie the lacura hot cloth cleanser, micro peeling drops, flash facelift and oil of olay by day and then the plantastic cleansing balm, glycolic toner, retinol serum, hylauronic serum and sleep oil at night. I’ll be honest, I’ve not seen a change in my skin other than having red bump type spots more often which is the opposite from desired effect 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.