Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've got to my 40s and still don't have a decent skincare routine. I just use a general cleanser and moisturise when I remember.

What does everyone use. I have slightly oily t zone and probe to dry skin on cheeks.

Does anyone have any facial suncream recommendations please? Preferably factor 50+. I've tried La Roche Posay's shaka fluid, and it's fine but I find it too greasy/glowy (not in a good way) on me after reapplying a few times throughout the day.

I recently got the Purito Centella unscented, which I like the texture of, but I've read it may not have adequate protection.

My skin is combination and prone to breakouts and blocked pores if that helps.

Also, out of curiosity, how often is everyone else reapplying their suncreams if their mostly indoors and only occasionally venturing out?

Many thanks
I like Clinique city block and this https://www.lookfantastic.com/filorga-uv-bronze-spf50-face-cream-40ml/11693913.html

I wear SPF every day regardless, purely because I use tret on my skin.

Anyone have any good recs for a lightweight glowy foundation/tinted moisturiser/bb cream? I'm thinking Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser which I have used before and love. Anyone tried the Charlotte Tilbury flawless filter?

Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any facial suncream recommendations please? Preferably factor 50+. I've tried La Roche Posay's shaka fluid, and it's fine but I find it too greasy/glowy (not in a good way) on me after reapplying a few times throughout the day.

I recently got the Purito Centella unscented, which I like the texture of, but I've read it may not have adequate protection.

My skin is combination and prone to breakouts and blocked pores if that helps.

Also, out of curiosity, how often is everyone else reapplying their suncreams if their mostly indoors and only occasionally venturing out?

Many thanks
I like the Oil-free Heliocare that is often recommended in magazines. I have the colourless and tinted one. It’s around £15 on Amazon.
Have also used Clinique City Block and can second that recommendation.

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with hormonal acne? As an explainer, I’m 34 and have been lucky to never suffer with skin problems til my 30s (great). For the last few years I have had full skin routine with acids, toners, vit c etc. Around a year ago I started to get hormonal acne around my jaw and chin that got progressively worse.

in January I completely stripped back my skincare routine and now all I use is la Roche posay effaclar face wash, and effaclar duo morning and night. I use nivea on my neck, chest, forehead and cheeks and I do use an eye cream too.

it seems like the LRP products have helped insofar as they stopped my painful cystic acne on my jaw. Now, instead of cysts I get actual spots that come to a head. But they come like clockwork every PMS week, finally drying up at the end of my period. Then after a few days despite the next eruption begins. I now have scarring on my chin and jaw.

its so demoralising and I don’t think skincare will help. I have started back on fish oil and evening primrose which I used to take religiously. Wondering if anyone has had success with supplements etc in treating hormonal acne?

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Anyone have any good recs for a lightweight glowy foundation/tinted moisturiser/bb cream? I'm thinking Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser which I have used before and love. Anyone tried the Charlotte Tilbury flawless filter?
Nars Sheer Glow or Dior Forever Skin Glow, if you have good skin & don't need much coverage Chanel Vitalumiere. I use that when I'm on holiday.

If you’re fairly pale, Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow cushion foundation is really nice. It’s more of a skin finisher than anything.

Where did you read that? I've just got it myself 😩!

Seconding Heliocare, would also recommend Uriage Bariésun SPF 50+ Fragrance-Free Cream.

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with hormonal acne? As an explainer, I’m 34 and have been lucky to never suffer with skin problems til my 30s (great). For the last few years I have had full skin routine with acids, toners, vit c etc. Around a year ago I started to get hormonal acne around my jaw and chin that got progressively worse.

in January I completely stripped back my skincare routine and now all I use is la Roche posay effaclar face wash, and effaclar duo morning and night. I use nivea on my neck, chest, forehead and cheeks and I do use an eye cream too.

it seems like the LRP products have helped insofar as they stopped my painful cystic acne on my jaw. Now, instead of cysts I get actual spots that come to a head. But they come like clockwork every PMS week, finally drying up at the end of my period. Then after a few days despite the next eruption begins. I now have scarring on my chin and jaw.

its so demoralising and I don’t think skincare will help. I have started back on fish oil and evening primrose which I used to take religiously. Wondering if anyone has had success with supplements etc in treating hormonal acne?
I have had really bad adult acne and recently got prescribed some stuff which I haven’t started because my skin care routine is kind of working atm! I mainly use calamine lotion, the ordinary alpha arbutin, mandelic acid/alpha lipoic acid once a week. Never would have thought my skin care routine would combat my acne as it previously hasn’t and I think it’s down to the calamine lotion - worth a try! The cosrx centella cream is also very good but I haven’t been able to stock up due to the virus

I have had really bad adult acne and recently got prescribed some stuff which I haven’t started because my skin care routine is kind of working atm! I mainly use calamine lotion, the ordinary alpha arbutin, mandelic acid/alpha lipoic acid once a week. Never would have thought my skin care routine would combat my acne as it previously hasn’t and I think it’s down to the calamine lotion - worth a try! The cosrx centella cream is also very good but I haven’t been able to stock up due to the virus
Thank you! I will give it as try. Do you dab the calamine as a spot treatment?

Another vote for Heliocare facial sunscreen SPF50. I have the tinted one and use it as a tinted moisturiser, it's great, works really well. I live in a hot country and usually get little pigmentation spots on my nose in the summer (yes, I'm beautiful) but so far nothing!

I also have the Charlotte Tilbury flawless filter, I think it has been recommended by people as a light tinted moisturiser but it's so incredibly shiny I can't imagine using it like this, plus there is virtually zero coverage. I just sometimes stick some on under my tinted moisturiser or cc cream for a bit of glow but there are much better product out there for this purpose. And the packaging is terrible, its difficult to get the stuff out. Basically, I wouldnt buy it again as i can't see a lot of difference between wearing it and not.

Also, Erborian CC creams are great too! If you can get them easily where you live. I have the dull reduce or something, in a purple tube. It's like a grey cream which you rub in and it turns to a nice, glowy, youthful finish.

Sorry neglected this thread for a while but have come back with some favourites.
loving the kiehls ultra moisturiser. Just the simple one with no spf. Find I can use a thinner application in the morning and slather on a bit more on a night time. I then have been using the Nuxe facial spf 50. Doesn’t make me sweaty and doesn’t leave any cast.
Nars tinted moisturiser is really nice as well. I don’t use it as my moisturiser, I moisturise, spf and then the nars tinted moisturiser but I am 44 with skin that can be dry.
The new Charlotte tilbury light moisturiser I’m not so impressed with.
Have just ordered an IT cosmetics cc cream and the brush. Looking forward to trying it.

Where did you read that? I've just got it myself 😩!

Seconding Heliocare, would also recommend Uriage Bariésun SPF 50+ Fragrance-Free Cream.
In her YouTube review Dr. Dray (dermatologist) said that the fact it only has two UV filters isn't great, but she still gave it a good review. Equally, I've read about some people experiencing burning whilst wearing it on Reddit, but I take these with a pinch of salt. Lab Muffin (PhD in chemistry) gave it a good review, and I tend to trust her, so I'm still using it. I figure something is better than nothing, which is what I was doing before!

I hope that helps.

Thank you all for your recommendations :)

I have dry/sensitive skin & I can't live without Eve Lom cleanser, radiance oil & their clay mask (can't remember the name)
Origins Plantscription eye cream & Plantscription Lifting Cream, Modern Friction exfoliator.

I did try Dr Barbara Sturm Face Cream Rich, yes it's great but imo it's not any better than Epaderm. I feel bad as it was a gift & I wanted to love it but the results didn't warrant that price.

I'm working my way through space nk advent calendar & Sarah Chapman night elixir is lovely, face very hydrated in the morning. Also Chantecaille La Creme Rich keeps the skin hydrated all day. There's a face mask in there that I'm desperate to try but I feel like using it during lockdown is a waste so saving that one.

Make up - It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye & Aldi concealers are above everything else out there. It cosmetics Superhero eye shadow bases are second to none. Mac soft Ochre eye base of you have pale eyelids.

Almost forgot Caludelie Beauty elixir is gorgeous. The small bottle is plenty.

Last edited:

i feel this so much. Having a true I hate my face day after battling cystic acne for the last 4 years. It’s horrible.

• Sad
  • Heart
I've been using the L'oreal hylauronic (I think that's how you spell it) acid serum and I think it's great! It is £25 a bottle but I got 2 for £30 from Boots.

Been using it the last couple of weeks and my skin fells really good and like it is tighter, also pores are non existent! Feels sort of plumped up. Would definitely recommend.

I so want Use the ordinary but I just don’t understand what I need to buy for my skin type etc.
Go on their website and do a online chat, they are so helpful

Has anyone tried Zoe Bee creams? She is on FB and Instagram. Loads and loads of positive reviews. However, I saw she had a negative review which had since been removed. Is it as good as the reviews suggest?
I like it, the coffee and clay scrub is amazing and I use the coffee and walnut cream. That’s a shame about a bad review being removed - bit naughty if they did that.

Go on their website and do a online chat, they are so helpful

I like it, the coffee and clay scrub is amazing and I use the coffee and walnut cream. That’s a shame about a bad review being removed - bit naughty if they did that.
Ooh didn’t no that existed! Thank you

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.