Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The collection 2000 is supposed to be a good one but the shade range isnt great.
I've been using this one for years, it's good for a drugstore concealer, but it can crease under the eyes after a while. The packaging wears away very quickly and smudges when you close the lid sometimes. I've just bought the Nars concealer and still need to try it out!

Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any good tips for flyaways and breakage? I also have absolutely horrendous static hair which exasperates the breakage and flyaways!!
The Moroccan oil in the light formulation is really good for this. It’s expensive but it last for ages. You need just a few drops.

I put a couple of drops in my hands and swipe them together then smooth it through went hair then brush with a wet brush and put it into a bun on top of my head until almost dry.

Which shampoo/conditioner are you using? What’s your budget?

Dove used to do a dry oil hair mask which was about £6 but I think they discontinued it. If you can find it on eBay you’re onto a winner. It’s a white tub with a gold accent on it.

Have loved reading through this thread, you're all so knowledgeable! 😍

I'd love your opinions... I want to strip back my skincare routine and make it as simple and fuss free as possible. I'm 30 and I have blemish prone skin, an oily t-zone and redness on my chin and cheeks (not the full cheek but the cheek area on either side of my nose, if that makes sense!). I don't think it's rosacea, more just uneven skin tone. I also have genetically dark circles. I'm very pale so these things are more noticeable when I don't have makeup on. I don't have too many lines thankfully, but I'd like to do all I can to best look after my skin now I'm 30. I'm a bit scared of retinol, but wondering if I should start using it!

Cleansing:
I use a Garnier cleansing milk to remove makeup and currently using a little of this to clean my face in the morning with a wet cotton pad. I'd been using the Pixi glow tonic cleansing gel as well both AM and PM but have run out, I'm thinking of ordering the Cerave SA smoothing cleanser next for AM and PM - is it good? If I got it, I'd continue to use the cleansing milk to remove makeup, and use the SA cleanser afterwards; is this ok?! I have a Clarisonic but haven't used it in a while; I thought it would be a bit harsh with the Pixi cleanser.

Moisturising:
For moisturiser, I've ordered Cetaphil daily moisturiser with SPF 50 for day, and I'm thinking of getting the Cerave eye cream for AM and PM; anybody here tried it before? I need a moisturiser for PM too; should I try the Cerave night moisturising lotion, or the Cerave moisturising cream in the tub? Or something else..? I don't want anything too rich or heavy.

Acids/serums:
I used Pixi Glow Tonic twice a week (though stopped a couple of weeks ago after I broke out from Charlotte Tilbury goddess cleansing ritual 😔), but I don't really like how my skin feels after using it, tacky and sticky 😕 I haven't noticed any adverse reactions so far, but at the same time don't know if it's done much for me either... is it worth carrying on with it, or are there any better ones out there maybe with less ingredients? I have loads left in the bottle and don't have any other exfoliator.

I'm currently using the Caudalie Vinopure blemish control serum after cleansing AM and PM which I'm really enjoying, it's got niacinamide and salicylic acid. I've only been using it for a week but I'm hopeful it's going to help! I also recently got TO caffeine eye serum (a bit in vain probably, sadly I don't think much is going to help my genetically dark under eyes, but worth a try!).
Hey @clueless! Sorry for such a late reply but are you still trying to tweak your routine? I’ve got some suggestions if so 😘

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
The Moroccan oil in the light formulation is really good for this. It’s expensive but it last for ages. You need just a few drops.

I put a couple of drops in my hands and swipe them together then smooth it through went hair then brush with a wet brush and put it into a bun on top of my head until almost dry.

Dove used to do a dry oil hair mask which was about £6 but I think they discontinued it. If you can find it on eBay you’re onto a winner. It’s a white tub with a gold accent on it.

Hey @clueless! Sorry for such a late reply but are you still trying to tweak your routine? I’ve got some suggestions if so 😘
I honestly have no budget as really want to get my hair in good condition! I have been using maui breakage shampoo and conditioner, oui hair oil and nought thirst aid detaning conditioning spray. I’m definitely seeing an improvement but I always have struggling with flyaways.

Will deffo deffo try the Moroccan oil when I run out of oui x

Hi @BostonFernGreen! Yes I am, I’d love your suggestions please! 🤗

Oh oh!!! Another thing I really could use advise on is nail strengthener, products, supplements etc for weak nails. I have worn acrylics for YEARS. My nails grow quite quickly but they are soooo weak, always have been. Any advice please?

moved over from Jamie Genevieve thread

I was so annoyed about this! I didn’t realise this or that they were big on influencers

I got the vit C eye cream, the toner and the face wash! Really annoying to hear, especially the price I paid for them. The toner is just alright, I actually do like the eye cream and face wash but they cost a small bloody fortune and the face wash is used up so fast.

I was excited when she posted a skin care video then I realised everything on there costs an absolute fortune. I don’t mind spending a bit more on a palette but I can’t afford this for every day items that are used so quickly
I find vitamin C overrated. Half these people who tout Vit C don’t mention he has to be in opaque bottles and that it can clog a lot of people up and be detrimental to their skin. I tried the Drunk Elephant one and it was so bad. My pores were so clogged that I looked like a strawberry. And you don’t get ‘purging’ with products like that so it’s a load of bull when people try to claim a product reaction is down to just that.
Also The Ordinary showed that you don’t need to be spending £60 + on skincare because the actual active ingredients are cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find vitamin C overrated. Half these people who tout Vit C don’t mention he has to be in opaque bottles and that it can clog a lot of people up and be detrimental to their skin. I tried the Drunk Elephant one and it was so bad. My pores were so clogged that I looked like a strawberry. And you don’t get ‘purging’ with products like that so it’s a load of bull when people try to claim a product reaction is down to just that.
Also The Ordinary showed that you don’t need to be spending £60 + on skincare because the actual active ingredients are cheaper.
yes! Weirdly enough I was trying to use up my drunk elephant vitamin C serum today and it’s horrid. I can’t use it with any of my makeup because it makes my face too sticky. Now we’re in lock down I thought I’d wear it today and again, it just stuck to my skin and pilled up with other skincare. It’s supposed to be a day serum you put on in the morning so how that works I don’t know.

love the ordinary though, I’m switching over to them!

Can I do a quick mini hijack and ask what I can use on my GIANT PORES? Since you guys seems to know about skincare. Feel like I’ve had them for life. One my cheeks (as in under my eyes not the sides) and on my nose. Nothing shifts them. DM me if you have answers 😂

Can I do a quick mini hijack and ask what I can use on my GIANT PORES? Since you guys seems to know about skincare. Feel like I’ve had them for life. One my cheeks (as in under my eyes not the sides) and on my nose. Nothing shifts them. DM me if you have answers 😂
Omg same 😩 help

Remember pores are not doors - you can’t close them. But you can shrink them. I find the only thing that works is an acid - AHA, BHA, etc. The Ordinary do a Glycolic toner which is a great price point and then you can experiment and go from there.

• Haha
Oh oh!!! Another thing I really could use advise on is nail strengthener, products, supplements etc for weak nails. I have worn acrylics for YEARS. My nails grow quite quickly but they are soooo weak, always have been. Any advice please?
OPI Nail Envy and Avoplex cuticle oil. I never had nails until I used them and have sworn by them for over twenty years.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Just to show we’re all different, I love the Drunk Elephant vitamin C serum. Are you applying it to bare skin?

@tippingpoint and @Crisps :whistle:

Niacinamide will made a huge difference - or it did for me anyway. Quite the miracle worker. I use the one from the Ordinary, it’s inexpensive and works well.

Wayne Goss has a good short video on YouTube called ‘shrink those pores’.

Reactions: 3
I react to a lot of sunscreen. Just started using Tropic's new range (reef certification) no reaction and feels great.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.