Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Heads up - steer clear of the Ole Henriksen banana eye cream 😨
Something similar happened to me with the Estee Lauder advanced repair eye cream. I used it for weeks with no issues and then one day I woke up with sores under my eyes! Had to stop using it altogether.

Can anyone help with a recommendation to improve the appearance of open pores (if that's the right name) they are on my nose from when I squeezed blackheads-gross I know. But look like wee moon craters now and make up sinks into them. Or is there no way to improve the appearance of them now and are they just scars?. Late 30s and I still would have a lot of blackheads on my nose area/t zone too.

Also under eye concealer for dark circles in particular? Found the Maybelline Erase one crap and every1 raves about it.

I use Estée Lauder intense eye repair. I think I’m going to try the ordinary caffeine eye cream when I run out.

:)

I'm kind of a jolty, less common woman with a little bit more time and more experience with popular brands and brands I'd love to share my knowledge of to help others. I use face and body products from Balms, concealers and tinted moisturizers to lipstick. I use a variety of lipsticks and lipstick pencils including Betty Boop, Nars, OCC Liquid Lipstick and The Balm Pencil. I love a big pop of color when I do my makeup in the morning and/or when I need a little help on those pesky eyeshadow lines. My favorite pimple creams are my Maybelline FitMe Extreme Pimple Glycolic Acid Toner 10% by LAVO Essence Korean Skin Care Milk Brightening Toner

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Has anyone got any tips for flushing skin. I have generally clear skin and if I don’t wear make up. I am so self conscious of it. If I go from cold to warm I go bright bright red. If I drink a drop of alcohol, same thing happens. It’s not noticeable through make up but it means I can’t ever go without it. When I mean red I mean RED. It’s deffo not a blood pressure thing. I do have pcos, wondering if it’s associated to that. I’m at a loss as it’s not something I can use a lotion or potion for. Maybe a cooling cream or something?!
Hello! Yes, it sounds like you have rosacea. Definitely azaleic acid, either garden of wisdom, the ordinary, or the inkey list, also la Roche posay rosaelic serum is very good too! Dr Sam’s night serum is also effective as it contains low level retinol, azaleic, and niacinamide in a lovely hydrating formula. Stay away from essential oils, and rose containing products! Xx

Can anyone help with a recommendation to improve the appearance of open pores (if that's the right name) they are on my nose from when I squeezed blackheads-gross I know. But look like wee moon craters now and make up sinks into them. Or is there no way to improve the appearance of them now and are they just scars?. Late 30s and I still would have a lot of blackheads on my nose area/t zone too.

Also under eye concealer for dark circles in particular? Found the Maybelline Erase one crap and every1 raves about it.
The little bits on your nose are sebaceous filaments and sadly will never go completely :( but there are things to help! I’d use a gentle acid everyday, like lactic acid, and something containing niacinamide

Hello! Yes, it sounds like you have rosacea. Definitely azaleic acid, either garden of wisdom, the ordinary, or the inkey list, also la Roche posay rosaelic serum is very good too! Dr Sam’s night serum is also effective as it contains low level retinol, azaleic, and niacinamide in a lovely hydrating formula. Stay away from essential oils, and rose containing products! Xx

The little bits on your nose are sebaceous filaments and sadly will never go completely :( but there are things to help! I’d use a gentle acid everyday, like lactic acid, and something containing niacinamide
Thank you so much. The only two products I currently use (acid from cleansers etc) are drunk elephant la la whipped cream am and Sunday Riley Juno pm. Does this seem ok? In terms of azaelic acid I was using it in my ordinary skin care routine but stopped. Could I use it prior to putting on my oil at night? I have combo skin due to pcos and broad products have really helped! Do you also have a cleanser recommendation?

Thank you so much. The only two products I currently use (acid from cleansers etc) are drunk elephant la la whipped cream am and Sunday Riley Juno pm. Does this seem ok? In terms of azaelic acid I was using it in my ordinary skin care routine but stopped. Could I use it prior to putting on my oil at night? I have combo skin due to pcos and broad products have really helped! Do you also have a cleanser recommendation?
Yes before oil :) the dr Sam bunting would help then if you prefer broad products. Her cleanser is good, also slaai drunk elephant I love; and the avene gentle cleanser or la Roche :)

I use Juno! Avoid any retinol on my skin. I have such a simple routine. My skin has been like this forever. It seems to be coming more underneath my skin if that makes sense?!
I have high colouring too and it really is just how a lot of people’s skin is. Even in Winter my cheeks burn red and I’ve never found anything in a bottle that helps. Avoid hot or even warm water when washing your face and try and keep cool. Spicy foods can make it worse too. I get a lot of neck chest flushing and blotchiness if I eat spice. Sucks!

I picked up a Primark Matte lipstick today (£1.50) and OMG! Love it. Didn’t go dry and horrible and stayed on all afternoon. Going back to get more ASAP!!

Reactions: 3
I picked up a Primark Matte lipstick today (£1.50) and OMG! Love it. Didn’t go dry and horrible and stayed on all afternoon. Going back to get more ASAP!!
They're brilliant. Amazing for the price. Their Double Wear 'dupe' foundation is worth a go too. About a fiver I think. Don't bother with any of the mascaras though. They're all pretty rubbish.

• Heart
I’ve just wasted £20 on Bareminerals foundation (the mineral powder kind)- it was on offer and I had a feel unique reward thing to get money off. I used to use a lily lolo one years ago and everyone said my skin looked good with it so I thought I’d try the bareminerals- what the duck am i doing wrong with it or is it just crap?

it looks ok for all of 3 minutes but then it just cracks off my chin in dry patches and I go like a grease ball everywhere else, the wrong kind of glow, just shiny and nasty. My skin used to have oil issues but it seems to have been more ‘normal’ in recent years (as I get older!).

Any tips or do I just write it off?

I’ve just wasted £20 on Bareminerals foundation (the mineral powder kind)- it was on offer and I had a feel unique reward thing to get money off. I used to use a lily lolo one years ago and everyone said my skin looked good with it so I thought I’d try the bareminerals- what the duck am i doing wrong with it or is it just crap?

it looks ok for all of 3 minutes but then it just cracks off my chin in dry patches and I go like a grease ball everywhere else, the wrong kind of glow, just shiny and nasty. My skin used to have oil issues but it seems to have been more ‘normal’ in recent years (as I get older!).

Any tips or do I just write it off?
Bad news I’m afraid.. even if you weren’t having trouble with how it sits on your skin it’s not something I would recommend you keep using.

It’s a well known irritant though so you might be able to get a refund on those grounds?

Wow that sounds insane, I feel even more annoyed and stupid now- I usually do more research but thought it’d be ok after I’d used mineral stuff before.

i should’ve just stuck to what I know (not mineral wise, I think I’d do better with liquid stuff) 😩

Last edited:
I am 40 this year & ashamed to say my skincare routine consists of using a Lidl face wipe to take my makeup off (hangs head in shame) I really want to change this for obvious reasons but I’m not a girly girl & I literally have no idea where to start.

Any suggestions on what products might start me on the right path?
I would say my skin is combination but pretty dry in places I don’t suffer with acne but I do often get huge & very painful spots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 😊

I am 40 this year & ashamed to say my skincare routine consists of using a Lidl face wipe to take my makeup off (hangs head in shame) I really want to change this for obvious reasons but I’m not a girly girl & I literally have no idea where to start.

I would say my skin is combination but pretty dry in places I don’t suffer with acne but I do often get huge & very painful spots.

Well for a start you need more then face wipes to take off your makeup. They only really take off the surface makeup you need a good cleanser or face wash to remove all your makeup.
I use micellar water to remove my makeup then wash my face with La roche posey effaclar purifying foaming wash then follow with face cream etc.

Reactions: 2
Well for a start you need more then face wipes to take off your makeup. They only really take off the surface makeup you need a good cleanser or face wash to remove all your makeup.
I use micellar water to remove my makeup then wash my face with La roche posey effaclar purifying foaming wash then follow with face cream etc.
Thank you it really is lazy on my part, I need to up my game!

Has anyone had or knows of anyone having micro needing and chemical skin peel? I am considering this to help reduce scaring on my jaw line from hormonal acne which has now resolved.. would be interested to hear people’s views/ experience? Not keen on YouTube etc as I never know who is genuine!

It’s never too late :)

This is a good article explaining a simple routine
https://www.nytimes.com/guides/tmagazine/skincare-routine

For the spots I had the same and including niacinamide in my routine (at the serum stage) cleared it up in no time. However yours might go away once you establish a good routine on its own. Wipes are full of detergents (that’s how it ‘cleans’ the makeup etc off your skin) so it might be what’s causing the problem.

• Heart
It’s never too late :)

This is a good article explaining a simple routine
https://www.nytimes.com/guides/tmagazine/skincare-routine

For the spots I had the same and including niacinamide in my routine (at the serum stage) cleared it up in no time. However yours might go away once you establish a good routine on its own. Wipes are full of detergents (that’s how it ‘cleans’ the makeup etc off your skin) so it might be what’s causing the problem.
That’s great thanks that article is just want I needed! 😊

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.