Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to wear the NC's and thought it was yellow based until I compared it with the C's and now I realise the NC are pinky yellow.

Rate:
Superdrug Vitamin E range, especially the hot cloth cleanser, the oil cleanser and the leave on moisture mask
Simple sheet masks (actually made in Korea!)
Dove body washes
Dove 2in1 shampoo (never would have even considered a 2in1 before a friend introduced me to this)
Revolution conceal and define concealer
Loreal Infallible 24hr freshwear foundation - holy grail
Too Faced Born this way foundation
Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara

Hate:
Loreal BB cream
Revolution foundations
Too faced better than sex mascara
Benefit they're real mascara
Tarte Shape Tape foundation (the original formula, havent tried the new one)
Im glad its not just that didn't like the Too faced Better then sex mascara and the Benefit one.

Rate:
- As I am coconut cleansing cowash, my hair is super soft, smells amazing and my waves pop
- Huda beauty eye palettes, great colour pay off
- Nivea skincare ESP the city protection moisturizer, hydrating and non greasy
- Becca highlighters or Maryloumanizer, both lovely
- Nars lipstick
- Nars sheer glow foundation in deauville, I want to hate Nars but it's such a good match for me!!

Hate:
-anything with glitter in it, they are so environmentally unfriendly
- Fenty foundation, too thick for me but the colours are great, though they oxidize on me so but as great as I'd thought
-Tom Ford lipstick, they are so overpriced, they aren't that great at all!!
- Bobbi brown Foundation sticks, cakey and horrible shades

I'll think of more!!

Loving all these! I have pretty much worn the exact same natural make up 'look' every day since I was about 17 🙈 but have favorite products to achieve this, they are.....

No7 Perfect & Illuminate serum foundation, really good coverage and doesn't make my face shiny
No7 Airbrush Away primer. Tried to economise this month with Elf but defo going back to this when it runs out
Estee lauder hydra prep concealer
Rimmel Brow this way fibre eyebrow pencil
NYX matte lip gloss
No7 protect & perfect serum

Hate...

Elvive shampoo/conditioner - grease o clock
Also anything with glitter in it
Spending anything more than £1.50 on make up wipes 😂
Pretty much all mascaras, going to give one a go people have recommended on here!

Reactions: 2
Loving all these! I have pretty much worn the exact same natural make up 'look' every day since I was about 17 🙈 but have favorite products to achieve this, they are.....

No7 Perfect & Illuminate serum foundation, really good coverage and doesn't make my face shiny
No7 Airbrush Away primer. Tried to economise this month with Elf but defo going back to this when it runs out
Estee lauder hydra prep concealer
Rimmel Brow this way fibre eyebrow pencil
NYX matte lip gloss
No7 protect & perfect serum

Hate...

Elvive shampoo/conditioner - grease o clock
Also anything with glitter in it
Spending anything more than £1.50 on make up wipes 😂
Pretty much all mascaras, going to give one a go people have recommended on here!
Ive had lash extensions for years and im currently having a break. I am the same as you, hate mascara but honestly I thoroughly recommend Monsieur Big by Lancome. Its very very very good.

Reactions: 1
Ive had lash extensions for years and im currently having a break. I am the same as you, hate mascara but honestly I thoroughly recommend Monsieur Big by Lancome. Its very very very good.
Ooh thank you, when I get paid (is it not like the 87th of January now????) I will go and have a look!

• Haha
Can anyone recommend a good exfoliating cleanser to add into my PM routine please?

I keep my skin care vary basic as I have highly, highly sensitive skin. If I use too many products or anything strong I go bright red, burn up and flare red. Aside from sensitive it's typically combination and rarely get spots.

At the moment I use;

Nip fab - Glyclonic cleanser AM
Drunk Elephant Lala retro whipped cream moisturiser

PM
Body Shop - Chamomile cleanser to remove make up
Bioderma micellar water to ensure everything is removed. I cannot use toners as my skin flares
Sunday Riley - Juno

Looking to add something after the bioderma step just to ensure my skin is sparkling clean!!
Do you mean a physical exfoliator? If so Maybe the Boots Botanics Radiant Youth Microdermabrasion Polish? It’s pleasant to use and the particles are small so are the least irritating. I would worry about using any physical exfoliator on sensitive skin though. If you are looking for a chemical exfoliator (but not in toner form) the Elf Gentle Peeling Exfoliant is a good one.

I try to use and support cruelty free brands wherever I can. There is absolutely no need for these huge companies to be testing on animals - they only do it so they can chase the dolla and sell to the huge Chinese market. I also tend to have a really simple routine and I can't abide waste so once I find something I like, I stick to it. Anyway, current likes and dislikes are:

Best:

The Ordinary range - their serums and retinols are excellent. Ethical company, vegan friendly, not tested and cheap.
Mario Badesci (sp?) glycolic cleanser - really helped with my hormonal acne
Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks
Laura Mercier concealer, under eye cream and tinted moisteriser - have used for years, perfect sheer coverage and doesn't cake
Body Shop fruity bodywashes - the grapefruit one is delicious
Smashbox primer
Essie gel nail varnishes
Tresemme heat protector spray
No7 waterproof mascara - I have really long lashes and this is the only one I've worn that doesn't smudge
La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo+ moisteriser - great for acne prone skin and has a high SPF
Botox - not sure if this really comes under the thread title but nothing beats it IMO

Worst:

Olaplex - did nothing for my hair
Charlotte Tilbury primer - absolutely rubbish and really expensive

I try to use and support cruelty free brands wherever I can. There is absolutely no need for these huge companies to be testing on animals - they only do it so they can chase the dolla and sell to the huge Chinese market. I also tend to have a really simple routine and I can't abide waste so once I find something I like, I stick to it. Anyway, current likes and dislikes are:

Best:

The Ordinary range - their serums and retinols are excellent. Ethical company, vegan friendly, not tested and cheap.
Mario Badesci (sp?) glycolic cleanser - really helped with my hormonal acne
Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks
Laura Mercier concealer, under eye cream and tinted moisteriser - have used for years, perfect sheer coverage and doesn't cake
Body Shop fruity bodywashes - the grapefruit one is delicious
Smashbox primer
Essie gel nail varnishes
Tresemme heat protector spray
No7 waterproof mascara - I have really long lashes and this is the only one I've worn that doesn't smudge
La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo+ moisteriser - great for acne prone skin and has a high SPF
Botox - not sure if this really comes under the thread title but nothing beats it IMO

Worst:

Olaplex - did nothing for my hair
Charlotte Tilbury primer - absolutely rubbish and really expensive

Olaplex seems to be so hit and miss, it’s been incredible for me, however I use it every wash and have done for a year now.

Please can anyone recommend a really good moisturiser, I have dehydrated skin, I’ve tried so many, I can’t find one that is none comedogenic that actually works. It’s so frustrating.

Do you mean a physical exfoliator? If so Maybe the Boots Botanics Radiant Youth Microdermabrasion Polish? It’s pleasant to use and the particles are small so are the least irritating. I would worry about using any physical exfoliator on sensitive skin though. If you are looking for a chemical exfoliator (but not in toner form) the Elf Gentle Peeling Exfoliant is a good one.
These are exactly what Im after. I wear a heavy foundation (doublewear) and I just feel I want a step after ive removed my make up with a balm cleanser and finshed with a micellar water. I wear an oil to bed so just want to make sure my skin is super super clean before it goes on! Thanks for the suggestions!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nail strengthener. Mines have snapped from being a bit aggressive at netball. They’ve always been a bit flaky and weak.

I can highly recommend Dr Sam Bunting’s Daily moisturiser (£26) and/or Nightly flawless serum (£39). She also sells basic cleanser which is brilliant, especially for slightly oilier skin and a fantastic SPF cream which works great underneath makeup. There is no fragrance in her products (this is very important because fragrances can be irritating to the skin) and a host of very good quality, clean active ingredients (serum also has retinol). I have dry sensitive skin and I have been using these for over 5 months and I’m really happy with the results. On Dr Sam’s website you have videos that show you how to use her products, and Dr Sam has both a dermatology clinic in Harley Street and lots of YouTube videos about skincare and skin conditions. Worth a look! xx
sorry i know this old post but i went to sam bunting for help, biggest waste of money ever!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
sorry i know this old post but i went to sam bunting for help, biggest waste of money ever!
She’s not a dermatologist apparently, but happily misleads people into thinking she is and doesn’t correct others when they refer to her as one. Not okay. What is wrong with openly marketing yourself as a medical doctor with an interest in cosmetic dermatology?

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Can anyone recommend a good exfoliating cleanser to add into my PM routine please?

I keep my skin care vary basic as I have highly, highly sensitive skin. If I use too many products or anything strong I go bright red, burn up and flare red. Aside from sensitive it's typically combination and rarely get spots.

At the moment I use;

Nip fab - Glyclonic cleanser AM
Drunk Elephant Lala retro whipped cream moisturiser

PM
Body Shop - Chamomile cleanser to remove make up
Bioderma micellar water to ensure everything is removed. I cannot use toners as my skin flares
Sunday Riley - Juno

Looking to add something after the bioderma step just to ensure my skin is sparkling clean!!
Hey. Have you though about changing your routine up a little instead of adding something else? Generally it isn’t recommended exfoliating more than a couple of times a week; let alone twice a day! Especially if you have sensitive skin.

I’d use bioderma in the AM just to refresh skin after being asleep... then in the PM use this as a first step to remove bulk of your make up, then camomile cleanser or glycolic cleanser to cleanse skin. A good alternative is the drunk elephant slaai balm cleanser, as it also comes with a physics exfoliant that you can added when needed to transform the balm into a physical exfoliator. Xxx

Hey. Have you though about changing your routine up a little instead of adding something else? Generally it isn’t recommended exfoliating more than a couple of times a week; let alone twice a day! Especially if you have sensitive skin.

I’d use bioderma in the AM just to refresh skin after being asleep... then in the PM use this as a first step to remove bulk of your make up, then camomile cleanser or glycolic cleanser to cleanse skin. A good alternative is the drunk elephant slaai balm cleanser, as it also comes with a physics exfoliant that you can added when needed to transform the balm into a physical exfoliator. Xxx
Hey. Yes sorry I didn’t mean to exfoliate every day. My skin would be fuuuuuming, I’m more after a good cleanser. This sounds amazing!!! Funnily enough I’ve started using miceller first and balm after. I use drunk elephant lala whipped cream in the morning and honestly love the products so will deffo give that a go. Would you use that instead of the body shop chamomile one? Thanks sooo much x

Hey. Yes sorry I didn’t mean to exfoliate every day. My skin would be fuuuuuming, I’m more after a good cleanser. This sounds amazing!!! Funnily enough I’ve started using miceller first and balm after. I use drunk elephant lala whipped cream in the morning and honestly love the products so will deffo give that a go. Would you use that instead of the body shop chamomile one? Thanks sooo much x
I’ve never used the camomile one so can’t comment... but the drunk elephant one has a magnetic spoolie.. soooo 😂🙌🏻😍 micellar first really gets make up moving but the balm just melts everything away!

rEN ready steady glow is really good too. It’s lactic acid based so not as harsh as glycolic :)

I’ve never used the camomile one so can’t comment... but the drunk elephant one has a magnetic spoolie.. soooo 😂🙌🏻😍 micellar first really gets make up moving but the balm just melts everything away!

rEN ready steady glow is really good too. It’s lactic acid based so not as harsh as glycolic :)
This is so helpful that you. I’ve heard really good things about ren. It’s just so hard to figure out where to begin!x

This is so helpful that you. I’ve heard really good things about ren. It’s just so hard to figure out where to begin!x
I know right 😂 I’m still figuring it out after falling down the rabbit hole 2 years ago! Nadine baggott has just done a new video on you tube about gel/oil/balm hybrid cleansers that’s interesting! The first one from boots its £12:50 so may have to try that!!

The best cleanser I have ever used is allumier, it’s changed my life (dramatic I know) I fell down ch’s rabbit hole and actually made my skin so awful, my derm put me on allumier cleanser and exfoliator and a few other things and it’s phenomenal. Only problem is, you can only buy via a derm/nurse etc, but you can search your area for a stockist.

Just wanted to pop in this thread again to say thank you so much to those that recommended Dr Sam! I have been following her regimen religiously since sept 2019 and I am now acne free! Hormonal acne around my jaw line was an issue for me but I can’t begin to explain how clear my skin is looking and reduction in redness/ scaring. To top it off I have friends and colleagues commenting on my skin looking fresh, clear and looking ‘younger’ - wooohooo 😂 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.