Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me too please!
Hi could
You message me with the link to the cream you are using , Thankyou

Tretinoin is the vitamin A cream or gel which is the strong form of retinol. In England it’s a prescription cream, presumably because there are some important warnings like you should not use it during pregnancy.

There is heaps of evidence to back up its ability to prevent wrinkles and even reverse some superficial ones. That’s born out in anecdotal reports as well.

I buy mine from an online pharmacy and I use a generic brand. Have been using it for 18 months or so and absolutely love it. It’s over the counter in some European countries.

It’s usually less than £10/tube and it lasts a good 2-3 months as you have to really ease in to avoid skin irritation!

Is not glam in the slightest but the results are incredible. I expect it’s had quite a big impact on sali’s hooded eyes as it really seems to firm up the skin.
Hi could you link me to the cream your using

Last edited:
Just here to mention what is currently working for me. I’ve done a lot of research and had some fab advice on here. I have oily, blackheads, acne and large pores.
I was being lazy and only really used to use a face wipe ( horrifying, I know 🤦🏻‍♀️) and my skint was oily as heck! My make up would slide off my face and the only foundation that actually stayed was double wear but it’s heavy and expensive as duck.
Anyway here’s what’s in currently doing:
AM
Cerave hydrating cleanser
La Roche-Posay effeclar duo
Also use the original make up primer
PM
Hot cloth cleanser
Cerave smoothing cleanser
La Roche-Posay effeclar duo/niacinamide/retinol serum
The double cleanse really helps take my make up off completely and my skin is clean!
I’ve not been doing it for long but already my skin is barely oily anymore, my acne has calmed down a lot. My breakouts are not as often and clearing a lot quicker. My pores feel clean and my skin feels hydrated. They don’t clog my pores and honestly I can say my face feels so my smoother and happier. Honestly this is insane! I’ve suffered with acne for about 15 years and I finally feel like I’m getting somewhere with it.
I also use a clay mask maybe once a week and the ordinary aha and bha acid exfoliator on a different day of the week. I don’t use anything else on my face the night I use the ordinary exfoliator other than La Roche-Posay moisturiser as I don’t want to over do it.
This is just what has been working for me. I’m not saying it will work for you also but if you do decide to try any of the products, please patch test first as I’d hate for you to have a reaction after trying something I recommended.
Also please don’t be discouraged if your skin gets worse. Mine was awful for a week after I started using the different products and then it started to clear up and calm down. It’s called ‘skin purging’ if you look it up you’ll understand more.
I also get horrendous hormonal ache round that time of the month ( sorry, tmi) and it’s not so bad at the moment compared to what it usually is.
This would work for men as well as women. They’re wonderous products for me and I’m so happy.
Congrats if you got this far, turned into a bit of an essay in the end 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Bobbi brown serum foundation paired with the vitamin enriched face base for the perfect natural, fresh, dewy skin for those who don’t like a lot of make up but just enough to even out complexion. Lovely stuff! Onto my 4th bottle!

Does anyone recommend anything for blackheads/ blocked pores? I’ve tried so much and I’m at a loss 😩
apparently what we think is black heads is actually Sebaceous filament. The way to tell the difference is black heads should be raised out of the skin. If the pore is flat and clogged it’s likely to be sebaceous filament.

best way to treat them is a weekly clay mask, if you find them too drying on the skin you can always pair with a hyaluronic acid.

No amount of squeezing with rid us of sevaceous filament ☹☹

Reactions: 3
Two mini reviews - pleasantly surprised the Solait sensitive 30spf face cream from Superdrug (in the white tube) - in a blind test I don’t think I’d choose it over LRP or TBS skin defence BUT for four pounds something it’s good - white cast disappears quickly, not greasy, no eye sting and doesn’t pill under makeup.

And the No7 version of the IT Cosmetics CC cream is good. Very similar but not as thick as the IT Cosmetics, I think I actually prefer it. Good coverage and feels light on. And it’s spf50+. Called protect & perfect advanced all in one foundation.

Also... in case it helps anyone, LRP Effaclar Duo+ transformed my skin a few years ago. But I realised it was the active ingredient niacinamide doing the heavy lifting which you can buy in a serum from The Ordinary or the Inkey List for a lot cheaper. Worth trying if you’re on a budget.

Reactions: 4
I'm a beauty therapist, have over 30 years in the industry and worked and trained with nearly all the big skincare companies. My advise us keep it simple. I recommend everyone using a face cloth to remove cleanser thoroughly and always use an SPF. You don't need to spend a fortune, I love and use the ordinary and beauty pie products. If you have spots use a product with salicylic acid. If you are worried about aging retinol and hydraulic acid for extra moisture.

Reactions: 7
I'm a beauty therapist, have over 30 years in the industry and worked and trained with nearly all the big skincare companies. My advise us keep it simple. I recommend everyone using a face cloth to remove cleanser thoroughly and always use an SPF. You don't need to spend a fortune, I love and use the ordinary and beauty pie products. If you have spots use a product with salicylic acid. If you are worried about aging retinol and hydraulic acid for extra moisture.
How refreshing to hear this. I used to pile on products and after a lengthy fight with awful painful jaw cystic acne (where I kept using different products) I stripped it right back to basics and voila - skin was never better.
When you say always use an SPF, in the dark UK winter is one in a moisturiser sufficient?

Also an unrelated query for anyone - a product I use everyday is Superdrug Vit E oil and have for years. I usually put it on first but recently read that it should go on after serums etc as the oil seals in moisture. I've tried this but don't particularly like it - should I persist?

Reactions: 2
I’m not convinced on the “sealing in” thing, but I don’t think there’s a lot of point putting an oil on *under* something non-oil based such as a serum. (By which I mean you might as well use the oil on its own, because nothing’s going to penetrate it). I’d just do what works for you though!

I basically never get spots or maybe one a year, my skincare routine is ridiculously basic and pretty low cost -

No7 hot cloth cleanser, eye make up remover, toner then followed by serum which is a fairly recent addition & their pretty basic 'Hydra' moisturiser. And exfoliate 1 - 2 times a week. Very occasional face mask.

I've found the times I have tried using more complicated products it causes problems!

How refreshing to hear this. I used to pile on products and after a lengthy fight with awful painful jaw cystic acne (where I kept using different products) I stripped it right back to basics and voila - skin was never better.
When you say always use an SPF, in the dark UK winter is one in a moisturiser sufficient?

Also an unrelated query for anyone - a product I use everyday is Superdrug Vit E oil and have for years. I usually put it on first but recently read that it should go on after serums etc as the oil seals in moisture. I've tried this but don't particularly like it - should I persist?
If it feels good carry on, SPF in a moisturiser is fine I also put the excess on the back of my hands, as your age hands quicker 😘

Has anyone had or knows of anyone having micro needing and chemical skin peel? I am considering this to help reduce scaring on my jaw line from hormonal acne which has now resolved.. would be interested to hear people’s views/ experience? Not keen on YouTube etc as I never know who is genuine!
I’ve had three sessions of microneedling and it’s made a huge difference to my scarring, visible pores and general skin tone. I’d definitely recommend it!

Reactions: 1
I use witch hazel as a toner and it’s amazing
I had a blocked pore for over a month... last week put witch hazel on it, within a day it had a head and has now disappeared. I wish I discovered witch hazel sooner!!

If anyone is interested in products containing glycolic acid...I seriously swear by Alpha H Liquid Gold. I used to have that terrible bumpy under the skin acne that never really turned into anything but once I started using that it disappeared.

Reactions: 3
If anyone is interested in products containing glycolic acid...I seriously swear by Alpha H Liquid Gold. I used to have that terrible bumpy under the skin acne that never really turned into anything but once I started using that it disappeared.
I use this, I can’t use it every day (I think they only advise every other night anyway?) but use it twice a week and I love it never had a break out since started using it couple years ago.

I use this, I can’t use it every day (I think they only advise every other night anyway?) but use it twice a week and I love it never had a break out since started using it couple years ago.
Yeah it’s quite strong to use every day isn’t it. I know everyone has different skin types but I couldn’t get over how much it helped after trying f I many different products!

A reviewette on two new products (to me anyway).
(Note - I rarely buy new products as am a) Lazy b) Stingy but was in a big Boots recently and was tempted so no idea if these products are old news).

'Garnier Rose Micellar water cleanse and glow' - I picked this up expecting it to be a standard micellar water but it is so good. Really leaves my skin visibly brighter and glowy (which I was not expecting) removes makeup very easily and thoroughly, doesn't feel sticky and smells pleasantly of rose. £2.50 for big bottle - 400ml I think?

Boots own brand Vit C brightening moisturising cream (bright orange packaging) - again a lovely product. Very moisturising. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and really think I can see my skin is brighter. It does leave your skin quite glowy for a while upon application - maybe a bit too much if you have oily skin or don't like that but suits me. I read a review that it compares very well with the Ole Errikson Skin Brightening gel in similar packaging which is considerably dearer. No idea as haven't tried it. £4.

(Disclaimer - I haven't been paid to give these half arsed views. I purchased these products myself. The cat in the picture is mine but quite old. She was free).

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.