24 hours in Police Custody - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah I noticed that too but like others are saying, very high stress situation. I did feel for the two men who were clearly unwell, exacerbated by drink and drugs and unable to get mental health support but I also really felt for the officers involved, must have been so scary for them and they clearly did not want things to escalate.

Reactions: 11
24 Hours in Police Custody features the tense stand-off at a tower block in Bedford in Nov 22. Paul Burton, 45, and Nathan Turner, 37, were jailed after they threatened neighbours with a high-powered air rifle and Burton fired at a police car.
Jailed in Oct this year - so this couldn't have been previously shown and it is only 1 part.
These are the pics of the 2 in last nights episode. https://www.bedfordindependent.co.uk/pair-behind-takeaway-siege-at-bedford-flat-jailed/
Just watching now. It's local to me & I remember the local group FB pages going absolutely mental at the time aswell. Interesting to now see the other/inside etc as the videos all over the groups were outside/hearsay types but the salad thing seems to have actually happened. I thought someone was making it up 🙈

Reactions: 7
I feel sorry for the people who lived in that block being intimidated by those two,must have been horrible. The dark haired bloke was quite smart and probably the most dangerous/manipulative,he let the other one do all the shouting/ranting and pushing himself forward, he sat back pushed the right buttons to wind his mate up. But the forensics caught him out,the science doesnt lie.

Reactions: 25
It was weird when he was in his interview telling the police how bad it was that they only got doner meat or something for £20 😂 like that was the main issue of the whole situation. Its shocking though if its true that delivery drivers take the piss and discriminate against people for living in a high rise. Didn't they say he was sat outside for an hour or something? I didn't really get that

Reactions: 5
If they discriminate against high rise buildings why can’t the tenants agree to go down and collect it? Would that not be an easy solution?

Reactions: 7
I think it’s easy to get things wrong in a high stress situations. So not surprised if the police got details wrong.

Unfortunately it’s clear that UK police aren’t used to dealing with situations like this. They let it go on for far too long. I imagine from their perspective it’s a success as it was all resolved fairly amicably but tbh with you they shouldn’t pander to people like this. This is why sentencing and the whole system in the UK is an absolute joke
Not really. The negotiator did exactly what she was supposed to do. Negotiate without anyone, police or offenders, being killed. They were armed, dangerous, mentally ill and intoxicated. We are not America, and I am glad for that. If we were both of the men would have been shot multiple times in less than 5 minutes. A level of trust has to be reached between the offender and police for the best outcome, and that isn’t built in half an hour.

Reactions: 22
It was weird when he was in his interview telling the police how bad it was that they only got doner meat or something for £20 😂 like that was the main issue of the whole situation. Its shocking though if its true that delivery drivers take the piss and discriminate against people for living in a high rise. Didn't they say he was sat outside for an hour or something? I didn't really get that
The delivery driver was probably sitting in his car dreading running into those two again, people said they ruled the place!

But yes, if delivery drivers take ages on purpose cos you're in a flat, that's not on.

Reactions: 4
Not really. The negotiator did exactly what she was supposed to do. Negotiate without anyone, police or offenders, being killed. They were armed, dangerous, mentally ill and intoxicated. We are not America, and I am glad for that. If we were both of the men would have been shot multiple times in less than 5 minutes. A level of trust has to be reached between the offender and police for the best outcome, and that isn’t built in half an hour.
I’ll be honest I’m not opposed to them being shot in a situation like this. This will repeat itself in some form or another in the next few years. Costing loads, traumatising others etc

Reactions: 2
I’ll be honest I’m not opposed to them being shot in a situation like this. This will repeat itself in some form or another in the next few years. Costing loads, traumatising others etc
These men, in this situation, are not bad people. They are mentally ill with no support. Despite being on the radar. Left with quite serious disorders to their own devices. The system has failed them enough without getting shot.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
These men, in this situation, are not bad people. They are mentally ill with no support. Despite being on the radar. Left with quite serious disorders to their own devices. The system has failed them enough without getting shot.
I don't disagree that they have been failed to some degree but at what point does their lives matter more than innocent bystanders

Reactions: 9
I actually got very upset about it. I’ve not been SA but I’ve been in situations where I’ve felt unsafe and it just made me angry that women just are never safe.

This man was prowling the streets

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Very creepy guy. Constantly pushing boundaries. Gave off serial killer vibes when he was being interviewed.

Reactions: 20
I got flashed at once when in my car near home. My hubby and friend ran down the road and saw him getting in his car and took the numberplate. Took it to court as police woman said these guys progress to rape. He got a 2 year suspended sentence and lost his job. He was a children's nurse. He tried to say he was doing a wee and I must have confused!! The worse bit was his wife collapsed in a heap at the exit and I had to step over her when leaving the court. She had a 6 month old baby, poor woman.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
What a weird episode , it was a good job the victim had the courage said something straight away or he probably would have got away with it again. As if he has a child as well!! Poor kid.
Not a bad sentence , just wish all rapists/sexual offenders got the same or more, some seem get way less than that , even child abusers!

Reactions: 22
Very creepy guy. Constantly pushing boundaries. Gave off serial killer vibes when he was being interviewed.
I thought that - I can’t help but think his crimes would have escalated into being a killer like Wayne Couzens did, if he hadn’t been caught for this.

Reactions: 16