Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I have long hair and had a trim and blow dry the other today for £45. I only go about once a year. Hairdressers are soo soo bitchy
Not all are, but you can feel quite vulnerable in the hairdressers chair. I had all my hair chopped off as a kid as the hairdresser was chatting my mum up and forgot what he was doing.
My hairdresser hasn't been treat very well by some clients but she has moved to a new place and can pick and choose who she has now.

Reactions: 4

Carapop

VIP Member
I have long hair and had a trim and blow dry the other today for £45. I only go about once a year. Hairdressers are soo soo bitchy
Gosh that’s a very broad statement! I’ve gone to dozens over the years and I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad experience (personality wise). Some shocking cuts though 😂.

pommynoir

VIP Member
Thinking about getting a pair of doc martens.. I’ve heard that you get blisters whilst you’re wearing them in, any tips to prevent that?
I have mine two years, still painful. I put duct tape over seams on inside to stop them cutting me but still have to wear them with fluffy socks.
Not worth it IMO 🤣

Tifastrife

VIP Member
Does anyone know is there somewhere I can go to like, have somebody show me what makeup to wear? 🤣 I’ve stuck to the same things for most of my life and I just feel like it’s too cakey for my age. I struggle to change up my makeup looks as I’m SO PALE that I find it hard to find good colour matches. Since having my baby I feel like my makeup looks so heavy and makes me look even more tired and I don’t even know where to start.

• Heart

LennonRoad

VIP Member
My hair is looking so crap recently. I've always had very fine hair (but lots of it) that gets oily quickly. Lately it's been looking even finer than usual, frizzy, dry-ish and wispy - feel like I have old lady hair even though I'm not even mid 30s yet 🙃 Not exactly the groomed, glamorous or polished look I'm going for! I'm thinking (hoping) it might be my shampoo. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shampoo / any products that will bring some life back to my hair and make it look a bit thicker and stronger without weighing it down / making it look greasy?
---

Thanks again for the recommendation - I've been using it for nearly 2 weeks and think I can see the tiniesttt difference. How long did it take for you to see a visible difference?
I have been using salon quality shamooos conditioner etc for more than 10/15 yrs and loved especially Semi Di Lino alfaparf range but in the last year my hair has gone bitty, frizzy and broken I think I’m losing hair and it’s growing back in parts so it looks broken if you get me- perimenopsuse??!

So then last year I started using olaplex conditioner shampoo masks etc
Well ZERO improvement or difference in my hair

So I randomly bought the Aldi olaplex dupe 4€ Conditioner and honestly it has really softened my hair
I finally see an improvement
I put the olaplex mask in first too

• Heart

dee_mc

VIP Member
I’ve never got my head around dream coat, perhaps I’m not using enough!

I think I might have wavy hair, does anyone have any tips for trialing the curly girl method (ish) without committing to too much?
Cantu products from Boots are cheap and effective. I like their curl cream.
Use a good moisturising shampoo and conditioner, flip your head upside down to comb through the conditioner before rinsing, squishing the hair upwards as you rinse to encourage curls/waves to form. Squish in a bit of the Cantu curl cream while it's still soaking wet, blot excess water out of hair using a soft towel or tshirt etc still squishing upwards to encourage those curls. Airy dry or diffuse. See how you go with that and if you want more definition and hold try using a curling mousse after the curl cream.
You don't need to buy a million products!

• Heart

Millais

Chatty Member
I was thinking Sisters & Seekers sounded familiar when I was browsing the website - just realised it was founded by a girl I was at uni with’s best mate! I remember her hyping them up when they first launched.

Millennial Pink

VIP Member
I have two questions;

1) how do people know how to dress so stylishly according to their body type? I have Tried those quizzes and no dice. I have had 2 little girls now and my body is so different! Only feel comfy in tracksuits or Adanola leggings and a long tshirt 😞 how the hell do I figure it out without paying for a stylist 😂

2) how do some people always have perfect hair? I have to wash mine every day (don’t try to convince me otherwise 😂) think it’s a sensory thing. But my hair is super thick and Flicky and takes ages to dry. Usually shoved up in a clip.

I am basically Julia from motherland but I’d like to be a little bit more like Amanda 😂😂😂
On the body type one, I ended up taking measurements of my shoulders, bust, waist and hips, and there's a website (like this one Body Shape Calculator - What Body Type Are You? - Inch Calculator ) where you can plug the measurements in and it gives you a body type. I've found it helpful to create some balance since I have massive shoulders.

On the hair thing, I've come to the conclusion that people are either willing to spend a lot of time on their hair, or have spent a lot of time figuring out how to style it efficiently and what works for them. I think getting the right cut helps, too.

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Apologies if this has been covered already but wanted to ask...

So I was in the salon this morning having a dry cut and mentioned I might consider colouring my hair again just to take the dead/dull look away. It's been years since I've had anything other than a cut. I have med/dark brown hair for context. The girl said she could do like an all over colour that will give it a shine. Cost of this is about £65.

So my question is if this is an all over colour what makes this different from say a box dye for a tenner. I know people say box dyes are terrible etc but I've never really understood why? What makes them so terrible? I just want a nice rich colour that will give my hair some shine. Would some high or low lights be better than all over?

I've also noticed that since I stopped the contraceptive pill my hair is a horrible texture and so dull and limp. Not sure if the added eostrogen was giving my hair a good bit of life?

I'm really clueless so any help appreciated. I'm also happy to spend the money on getting my hair done professionally if it is worth the spend?

Help!!! :)
I think ĥair dyes are a lot better for your hair than they used to be. A lot of things hairdressers don't like about box dye is probably due to people choosing the wrong kind of dye , like using permanent when a semi would suffice or the wrong colour. People make errors using the dye too, like not having enough dye in the pack for long or thick hair or they apply all the dye all over their hair when they just need to touch up their roots. Then some people don't make a good job because they find it tricky to dye their own hair.

Hairdressers don't like this because these clients then want the Hairdressers to transform their colour into something entirely different.

I just use a home hair colour when I want to colour my hair and its always been fine.

House of Tea

VIP Member
Does anyone use those reusable make up remover pads?

I use 5 cotton pads (the big ones) a da -two to take off tubing mascara, two for cleanser and one for toner. Or sometimes just micellar water.

I am looking to get reusable ones but I would need about 35 for a week’s worth! I would be washing them with normal washing. Some of them say no softener but I will not be doing a special wash just for them and I use softener in my regular load.

And the drying bothers me. Loads of pads lying around flat.

I have a feeling that disposable ones will be phased out. I used to buy in Wilkos (RIP) and failing that Primark (the only thing apart from trainer socks that I buy in there). However Primark have discontinued them for sustainability reasons. (Don’t make me laugh, they started the rot for disposable fashion. I digress.)

Does anyone use them, which make, how do you wash n dry?

What hair dryer is everyone using? I don’t know if the Dyson is worth it? I currently use the cloud nine pro which I don’t like- I don’t like any of their products to be honest so I might go back to the Ghd Helios dryer? But would love some hairdryer recommendations
I have the Dyson hair dryer and have to say it’s good. Good heat settings. Very quiet and my hair dries nicely and stays healthy.

Silverback

VIP Member
I loved this! Something for me to consider. And strangely something came up on my You Tube feed today about famous people who are bright winters wearing the correct and incorrect colours. It was really interesting seeing how the beige ethic isn't for everyone and the difference a bright lipstick or outfit can make.
Probably explains why I look so washed out with my make up as I always suspected I was a bright winter and my none bitchy friends are always nagging me to wear bright colours.
Here's the video in case you're interested:-

ETA ......off to buy a bright lipstick 💄😄
I’m interested in this colours thing because I can tell I look like death in beige and camel, and better in pinks and cream. How do people figure all the colours out for sure though?

hytuhh

Chatty Member
Anyone had dermaplanning? Thinking of doing it but would hate to regret it....
I had it done professionally once (where they use a scalpel) and it was good. It removed a lot of peach fuzz and pretty much any dead skin I had but since then I just do it myself at home because I didn't really see enough benefit to pay professionally when home results are pretty much identical. What do you think you would regret about having it done?

petalpetal5381

Chatty Member
Thank you all for being so lovely. I did my hair like this in the end today:

View attachment 2528793
mine has less volume but the style is the same. I saved some pics of various people with this hairstyle on my phone so if I have a freak out I can refer to them and go ‘it’s ok, don’t worry, this is a very normal haircut to have! You don’t look awful!’.

sorry for derailing, everyone.

By the way, if anyone knows of a super moisturising red lipstick then please let me know- booked somewhere posh for dinner on Christmas Eve and I’m hoping to wear something sequinned and silver with a red lip. My lips are dry as fuck though so it needs to be hella moisturising.
I love this style! My sister’s hair is like this and I’m so jealous! Mine is straight and with not much volume! Seems we always want what we haven’t got. In the meantime try to be kind to yourself and do things that Make you feel good and try to distract yourself as I think sometimes it can be worse if you aren’t feeling great in general 💜 I found CBT helped. It didn’t help for any of my other issues but when it came to checking compulsions etc and negative thoughts it really did. You could try setting aside a set amount of time every day where you’re allowed to think about your hair and look at it as much as you want (like when you are doing it in the morning, and before bed) but outside of that you’re not allowed to, so that you still giving your time to think about it, but it’s not taking over all of your thoughts all of the day. Or you can try to slowly reduce the time spent each time or reduce the amount of times a day 😊 Hope some of this helps! xxx

Edited to add - Charlotte Tilbury So Red is stunning and doesn’t dry your lips out ! Also you could scrub your lips before either with a lip scrub or with olive oil and sugar for about a minute, then apply lip balm while you do the rest of your make up and then wipe off and apply your lipstick x

Last edited:
  • Heart

ophelia1990

VIP Member
I may be the only one but I just feel jeans of any kind don’t look right on me?! I am a size 12/14 and 5ft 7, I’m an hour glass shape and I store weight on my stomach, but my legs are skinny. I just feel jeans draw attention to my stomach area if I wear something more fitted/ shorter on top, but if I wear something oversized it throws off all my proportions and makes me look very top heavy. Any ideas?! 🙈
I could have written this! I don’t wear jeans full stop because none suit me. I’m a 14 but have big boobs and a big bum and anything tight just accentuates my middle where I carry my weight.

I cannot find a pair I like.

• Heart
Any mascara recommendations?
Never tried it but there was a thread here where people were raving about Lash Princess - available at Wilko
Aldi sells a dupe for Benefit mascara called Too Legit (lol) and it's as good as the original
I use Bourjois Volume Glamour which is being sold at Superdrug again

This is interesting, but what do you mean by the slight pear part? 😊
That's my body shape, I got that analysed as well. I always thought I was pear but people would tell me I had it wrong etc. but when I got analysed they told me I was a pear but a "slight" one as in my bottom half is bigger than my top but not as drastically as it usually is for someone who is a pear.
So I still go for clothes that suit a pear.
---
I've just got a book out of the library about colours and makeup. Just had a quick flick and I was impressed. Found myself immediately and was amazed that my coats and outerwear all match what it says I should be buying colour wise. I've been struggling with makeup colours (had seen somewhere else that makeup in shops is mostly summer or autumn colours and I'm winter!).
Now I've got some ideas and it shows you about application. I've noticed you can buy it online for under £3 so might do that. Here's some details about it via Waterstones site.
View attachment 2497888View attachment 2497889
That sounds brilliant!!! I must try and get it, thank you for sharing!
---
Here is a link to a quiz you can do online:

Last edited:

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
Morning Tattlers - I get married in 3 weeks and I am feeling completely run down! I am not sleeping properly (this mornings grand waking time was 2:30am) This is the second weekend I have woke with a sore throat and snuffly nose - Really would appreciate any hints or tips to perk myself up and ensure I'm feeling my best for the big day! As I feel at this rate, I'll be a swollen, puffy, snotty witch! 😂 x
I’m a big fan of the Garnier vitamin C range to perk me skin up. It’s pretty cheap, too. Aside from that, sounds like you’re a little rundown so some orange juice, protein and a night off from wedding duties sounds like a good idea.

Johnson1901

VIP Member
Budget friendly make up brands I use are:

Studio London by Superdrug
Elf
Primark
Maybelline
17 from boots
Nyx
Collection

I find Superdrug have the best budget make up ranges if you wanna go in and have a look.

But online just my look is about the best for budget. Superdrug beauty app do great deals if you sign up also

Clothes wise on a budget I like, George, TU, primark but I mainly use Vinted these days

The best make up brushes I use are spectrum
Again check out Vinted as people sell brand new sets cheaper than the shop