Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to be a moany Minnie - I'm just really struggling with my image at the moment! I've always suffered with low self confodence/esteem and I've always thought myself ugly and unattractive - I've started working within a new role at work (Teaching Assistant in Reception) and I always feel ugly! I typically wear leggings, trainers and a sweatshirt, i have curly hair which i rarely style for work and bung up in a mum bun - as I'm up, down and whatever else - but I always feel slummy, which in turn lowers my mood! Doesn't help that the teacher is an attractive young lady and always looks lovely 🫠😂 I need to be comfortable, but I want to be fashionable and proud of my appearance whilst at work!? Any advice of some staple pieces or things I can do to make myself look and feel better!? Sorry for the essay - just needed to get how I felt off my chest! 😊
What about jeggings? They are really comfy and allow you to move pretty freely. I usually pair with a vest and cardigan, and maybe something like converse I’ve recently
Got some jeggings from New Look, fairly priced, wash well and have kept their shape/colour

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Sorry to be a moany Minnie - I'm just really struggling with my image at the moment! I've always suffered with low self confodence/esteem and I've always thought myself ugly and unattractive - I've started working within a new role at work (Teaching Assistant in Reception) and I always feel ugly! I typically wear leggings, trainers and a sweatshirt, i have curly hair which i rarely style for work and bung up in a mum bun - as I'm up, down and whatever else - but I always feel slummy, which in turn lowers my mood! Doesn't help that the teacher is an attractive young lady and always looks lovely 🫠😂 I need to be comfortable, but I want to be fashionable and proud of my appearance whilst at work!? Any advice of some staple pieces or things I can do to make myself look and feel better!? Sorry for the essay - just needed to get how I felt off my chest! 😊
I’m not a fan of leggings at work, tbh, they don’t give me proper work vibes that I need to get in the mood, hence I avoid them. Jeans or Jeggins look and feel more put together to me and with Jeggings the comfort level is really high in my opinion.
I love those flowy lose shirts made of viscose, they are soft and comfortable ( and don’t need much ironing!). I’ve plenty of them from Only and Vila, they aren’t expensive either and I often just throw a cardigan over them.
A curly bun sounds lovely to me, I like messy buns, especially if a bit of curl is escaping!
Do you wear any makeup for work? I typically don’t but if I want to really get into a mood for an important thing or if I feel really meh I put some on. Helps for some reason I’d rather not question too deeply.

How about a couple of dresses that are soft material

There are a few instagram accounts for teachers outfits worth having a look at to give you ideas.

I love a good sleek bun, always makes me feel more put together if I can’t be bothered with anything else. Esp when its in its curly state.

Reactions: 3
Asda and sainsburys do really good pointe leggings (comfy as legging but thicker and more like trousers) can be worn with shirts/blouses/tshirts/) and with trainers/converse or loafers, they always makes feel a bit more “put together”. 😘

I’d avoid leggings and anything that looks too casual.
I’m a great fan of palazzo / wide leg trousers which you can dress up or down.
And look for tops which allow you to move freely, but have a more fitted shape rather than a baggy sweatshirt.
Marks and Spencer sometimes do some lycra based shirts which are well cut but give flexibility too.

Stick to classic styles rather than fashion and where you can aim to dress things up with a scarf or other accessory to give colour.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I second the jegging and palazzo trouser ideas. Also, maybe buy some nice bright lipsticks for work, something you can pop on easily in the toilets. Also, if you’re rocking a nice big messy bun, maybe look at some ribbon scrunchies.

Does anyone have any tips for looking half decent whilst going to baby groups. I’ve noticed some mums look really nice and put together with full make up and hair, id love to have that motivation, but end up looking like a mess 🤣🤣

Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any recommendations of mascara for hooded eyes? My eyes aren’t severely hooded but eye makeup tends to just smudge so I don’t usually bother but I feel like I need something to make my eyes pop.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any recommendations of mascara for hooded eyes? My eyes aren’t severely hooded but eye makeup tends to just smudge so I don’t usually bother but I feel like I need something to make my eyes pop.
Have you tried using a good heated eye lash curler? I like using YSL flash lash effect and Clinique high impact mascaras.

Right. What do you do when you have your dad's entire face including hairline (he's now bald)? Might just buy a burka and call it a day.

• Haha
Million lashes is great. They do a waterproof version I’d highly recommend.

Right. What do you do when you have your dad's entire face including hairline (he's now bald)? Might just buy a burka and call it a day.
It’s all about the eyebrows then. Make sure they’re plucked nicely and wear a lipstick that suits your skin tone.

I’ve been using the L’Oréal Professional vitamino colour range alongside an in-shower scalp massager for almost 2 months and I’ve noticed a huge difference in the amount of new hairs I’ve been sprouting.

I didn’t know this until after I’d bought it but this range contains resveratrol which is apparently known to promote new hair growth! (I read a few studies but the science goes way over my head)

I’ve always struggled with my hair due to hypothyroidism and PCOS causing a lot of hair loss so to see so much new hair growth is really promising. I’d say the new hairs are about 2cm in length which is totally unheard of for my hair to grow that amount in 2 months - I average about an inch a year if I’m lucky with very little noticeable regrowth. My curls are sitting so much nicer too and feel really moisturised!

I’d previously been using rosemary oil and water which definitely does work, but I feel like it dried my hair out over time. I also noticed more of a difference in the length of my hair with rosemary rather than new growth, and I’m aiming for thicker hair not longer hair.

View attachment 1884926View attachment 1884928
I bought this from my salon - I use it because I get my hair dyed, but it is really good 😊

I posted a question, well two questions, a few pages back but no one answered. Can anyone break down olaplex for me? Like the steps, how much it is and whether or not it’ll be suitable for thick hair? I’ve yet to find a decent shampoo, apart from that L’Oréal one but it is a bit spenny to be buying that from the salon all the time 🙈 thank you

Last edited:
  • Heart
I bought this from my salon - I use it because I get my hair dyed, but it is really good 😊

I posted a question, well two questions, a few pages back but no one answered. Can anyone break down olaplex for me? Like the steps, how much it is and whether or not it’ll be suitable for thick hair? I’ve yet to find a decent shampoo, apart from that L’Oréal one but it is a bit spenny to be buying that from the salon all the time 🙈 thank you
This might help…

Does anyone have any tips for looking half decent whilst going to baby groups. I’ve noticed some mums look really nice and put together with full make up and hair, id love to have that motivation, but end up looking like a mess 🤣🤣
Face tanning drops, you add them to your moisturiser and they give you a subtle tan depending on how much you use !! My absolute go-to for day to day running around. Tropics are my favourite brand but currently using isle of paradise ones from Amazon x

Spend a little time each evening to get your clothes ready for the next day or choose them for the week on a Sunday and iron them all ready (I know that’s probably easier said than done). I always find that when nicer clothes are ready I won’t reach for the oversized jumper and leggings as quickly. Having clean hair always makes me feel put together no matter what I’m wearing.

also, be kind to yourself. I can guarantee that no one is looking at you and judging your appearance, and if they are, they’re not people you want to be friends with anyway!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I don’t know how they manage it tbh 🤣

but I’ve found wearing a little make up really helps me feel more put together, look brighter and less tired, plus I don’t feel too bad when I catch a glimpse of myself. I used to do a full face every day pre baby, literally wouldn’t leave the house bare faced but now it’s just a little foundation, blusher, highlighter and brows. If I have more time I push the boat out and do a little cat flick and some mascara. Making sure I’m happy in my clothes helps too 🥰 I’ve found the mums who are full make up and hair are very few and far between. I don’t really bat an eyelid now but with my first baby I was definitely self conscious especially as you don’t really feel yourself as it is. Please know you’re more than enough, with or without makeup and hair done.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

As a general rule, salon quality shampoo and conditioner are usually concentrated so you shouldn't need as much and should hopefully last a bit longer... the shampoo in shops is more diluted so more is needed.

I used to buy my shampoo from the salon and it would last upto 8 months, but I have curly hair so I only wash it once every 5-7 days.

Id love to offer advice on olaplex but I used 0 and it burnt my scalp (the patch was bad for months afterwards) so I don't bother, I had 3 too but I didn't really notice a difference.

• Sad
I work in salon services and while loads of people seem to think Olaplex is a holy grail range ime from customers I speak to it's really hit or miss, for the ones it doesn't gel with they either like the Redken amino acid concentrate or K18, haven't tried either though x

Reactions: 8
I am one of those mums, I always have been. Unfortunately I just can not leave the house without make up on/hair done. It’s difficult not going to lie I have 3 girls 13,6 and 8 months. How I find time is all down to routine. I always try and wash my hair in the evenings and dry and style it when the kids are in Bed. My make up takes me 10 mins tops.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I am one of those mums, I always have been. Unfortunately I just can not leave the house without make up on/hair done. It’s difficult not going to lie I have 3 girls 13,6 and 8 months. How I find time is all down to routine. I always try and wash my hair in the evenings and dry and style it when the kids are in Bed. My make up takes me 10 mins tops.
Nothing unfortunate about taking pride in yourself. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.